Forum: Nuzgûl of the Month Forum

Discussing: Nuzgûl of the Month November 2013

Nuzgûl of the Month November 2013

The Nuzgûl of the Month November 2013, courtesy of Aruthir:

October is the month one commemorates the dead, so let November be a month that celebrates life. Mothers, wives, sisters, sons, husbands, brothers... is it not written that a single spark brings an end to a millennium of darkness, after all?

Happy writing!  You can post ideas for next month in this forum towards the end of November.

Re: Nuzgûl of the Month November 2013

I'm not sure there's enough 'life' in this, but it's what the Muse was willing to give.

Life. Warmth, vigour, colour taunt me as I am drawn ever deeper into the cold ghost world by my ring. All that I touch is grey, cold, listless. There is no joy in this world.

Living men fear me and shrink from me, lest my touch turn them into wraiths too. But they also obey me, and I have power in the world of the living.

And I have the consolation of the ring. It is precious to me, and I am beholden to it, and to its Master, will I or nill I.

Was I right to take it?

I like this- and wonder which of the Nazgul is the narrator...

Thanks

I wonder as well, but from the angry hiss when  I asked, it's not a good question...

On another note: do we have any ideas for this month?

There's a tiny part of me that wants to say yes, but he's being shouted down by the reaction to almost each and every one of my suggestions to date.

Also, he's being drowned out by the part wondering if it wasn't a Nazgul after all but Isildur in your last story...

Mine haven't exactly been drowned in responses either...

Isildur? Interesting suggestion, but unlikely, given that he had the Ring so briefly, and Sauron wasn't really in a position at the time to do much more than keep himself together I suspect (and there's a plotbunny right there, even if it probably isn't suited to a challenge...)

A Ring of Power works in mysterious ways, Nath... but so do hearts. The following is all I could manage for November's challenge, and I apologise to any and all Human/Elf 'shippers out there. The only excuse I can give is a broken heart all mine own...

Aruthil wept as she waked out of the clearing and out of his life forever.

Forever.

Such a short word, the Elf thought, such a sly and shoddy description of a concept that meant so, so much…

He had tried so hard- had given her the finest wines in his cellar, the finest fruits of his harvest, the finest meats in his larder…

…and yet it had not been enough.

He had been the ear that listened when she had cursed, had been the shoulder that she had wept on, had spoken all the answers she had wanted to hear…

…and yet it had not been enough.

Now he sat with only his thoughts and birdsong for company in an empty clearing, an unopened bottle of wine and two empty glasses before him. He had offered her his heart, his soul, his everything…

…and it had not been enough.

She had chosen another- she had chosen a mortal Man, in the end, the same Man who had broken her heart a hundred times- the same Man she had cursed and scorned a thousand times weeping into his shoulder, the same Man he had told was not worth her sorrow a hundred thousand times, a million times…

…but now it was Aruthil who wept bitter tears.

"You give me forever, Aruthiel, but he…"

The Elf closed his eyes and tried to force the memory away, tried and tried , tried as through sheer force of will he could change history…

…but it was useless.

"You give me forever, and I will love you always for that, no matter what you think, but he..."

Sarniel stood before him, as beautiful and terrible as the sunset that set her hair glittering like molten fire.

"…but he gives me a lifetime."

Aruthil had raged at her, had cursed her decision, but her mind was made up. For all his years, for all his words, there was nothing he could offer her that that the Man had not.

Forever.

Such a short word, the Elf thought, such a sly and shoddy description of a concept that meant so, so much…

Forever.

Three simple syllables, nothing more- one simple word, barely a breath…

Aruthil wept bitter tears as she walked out of the clearing and out of his life.

Forever.

Though it was but one word, one single, simple word…

...for him it was a death sentence.

Bitter, yet as likely a scenario as the happy Elf/Human unions (ref. Andreth/Aegnor)

Exactly my point- happy endings don't happen in real life. Frown

Aruthir's Note: Another belated take on "life"... and another soured by my current frame of mind, I fear...

Once there was gold and glory. Once there were brothers, bold and beautiful. Once there was love and laughter…

Now there is grey and guilt. Now all is barren, broken and burned. Now there is loneliness and loathing.

Once we strode the world as heroes, soldiers, Kings…

We strode through raging blizzard and roaring storm and cared not for either.

Now…

Now

Now the cold wind cuts through my tired old bones, now my heart aches as each and every step brings fresh agonies of memory blazing through my brain.

I am last of my line, and all history shall despise me for what we did.

I am Maglor, son of Fëanor…

…and I walk alone.

You do know that you're in danger of people wishing your current frame of mind to continue if you keep writing these vignettes?   Who, me?

As long as there are Readers I shall Write- it is my fate...

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Nuzgûl of the Month Forum