Forum: Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)

Discussing: One of that Company

One of that Company

*sniff*

Wow, Dwim. 

Very nice work capturing the bittersweetness of Ioreth's experience.  Hard for me to read for the truth in it, given my own experience of being single and childless and thus moving in and out of people's lives, but well worth it.  Thanks for the gift.

~Silli

Re: One of that Company

Hi Anoriath. Thanks for your comments. I always get a sense that Ioreth is rather remarkable. Although she's called an "old wife", no husband is named, nor any children, and she never talks about them (and you get the feeling she would, you know...); the only family we see her with is a provincial cousin. So I do think of her as the one example of the working, independent woman in Middle-earth, someone whose connections with others come through her work, not so much through her family. It seemed like it might be good to explore that just a little, and I'm glad it worked for you. Dwim

Hi Dwim, this was quite lovely and bittersweet. I, too, imagine that Ioreth must have been something of a mother or grandmother-figure for many of the people in the Houses. A nice portrait of some of the hardworking women and men of Middle-earth, and the inevitable dissolution of the fellowship that grows out of times of crisis. I especially liked this part: And so of course it's hard to see new faces, in the absence of old friends, and the consolation of bonds that cut 'cross space and time is as pale as it is inevitable. For time will one day take the sting from separation, and rubbing shoulders with the untried will no more rub one raw. In her heart of hearts, Ioreth knows that longing for what's past will fade, though she might wish it otherwise, at least for a little while. A wise woman, indeed. Thanks, Aliana

Hi Aliana, I, too, imagine that Ioreth must have been something of a mother or grandmother-figure for many of the people in the Houses. Colleagues and patients alike, I imagine. Despite the rather negative cast to her character vis-à-vis the major canonicals she talks with, she clearly has a rathe strong personality that I would think would make her something of a fixture in the Houses, somebody everyone knows. A nice portrait of some of the hardworking women and men of Middle-earth, and the inevitable dissolution of the fellowship that grows out of times of crisis. Thanks, I may have tried a little too hard for that, but that's definitely the major thing I was trying to get at, that sense of change and that everyone, even the unsung ordinary people in the books, goes through that sense of loss when the action is done and life inevitably moves on. I especially liked this part [snip] Glad you liked that—it took a bit of work to put that one together! Dwim

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)