Forum: Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)

Discussing: Both Beholden

Both Beholden

Find it here.

This was a bear to write. Many thanks to Marta, Isabeau, Altariel, and Alawa for giving this some much-needed betaing, and of course, I own all the flaws this beast still possesses. I'm still not sure it couldn't use some tweaks here and there, but I think it's more or less in readable shape.

Re: Both Beholden

I was so glad to read this, Dwim. Halbarad, Boromir and Aragorn... what more can you wish for?

I think you did an awesome job in combining all the different elements to bring us to the point where Boromir and Halbarad need to have this conversation: there's the quest, and the need to track down the Nine (and I knew Boromir would join some search party, I knew it! I had always wondered about that time between the council and the actual departure of the ring, and this is a perfect gapfiller), but what I like the most is the mutual sense of misgiving, if misgiving you can call it: the rangers have as much reasons to mistrust Boromir as he has to mistrust them and, to him, this might be a foreign sort of feeling.

Another favorite part was the introduction of the corsairs, though brief, and I find it significant that Boromir had that vision. At this crossroads, so much depended on his own choice, and on him making his mind. In a way, I'm glad he did not come to that pass in the end...

I just *loved* Halbarad. He seems so self-assured and not a bit intimidated, which I suspect Boromir thought he might/should feel, even if he wouldn't acknowledge it. I love his quiet yet sharp ways, and I love how he, recognizing that Boromir was not going to budge, decided to open the much-needed dialogue.

Oh, what else can I comment on, if I liked it all? Boromir's final realization that Aragorn=Thorongil was wonderful, especially Halbarad's way of handling it. I also loved the reasoning behind the Steward of Gondor coming to the liutenant of the rangers, and what it means, symbolically : it's almost a surrendering of trust, of stewardship, in its own right. That was, I believe, my favorite part.

Thank you so much, and also to your betas. You all did a great job.

Starlight

I was so glad to read this, Dwim. Halbarad, Boromir and Aragorn... what more can you wish for?

More cooperative muses, perhaps? ;-)

I think you did an awesome job in combining all the different elements to bring us to the point where Boromir and Halbarad need to have this conversation

Thanks, Starlight!

I knew Boromir would join some search party, I knew it! I had always wondered about that time between the council and the actual departure of the ring

You just know he'd go nuts if he sat around in Rivendell while certain others are off hunting Nazgûl.

the rangers have as much reasons to mistrust Boromir as he has to mistrust them and, to him, this might be a foreign sort of feeling.

Coming from the heights of his own society, where Boromir could, if he wanted, overrule probably anyone except his father (and even dear old Dad isn't immune to the possibility of facing a challenge from him, as his thoughts make plain), I think it would be both novel and uncomfortable to find himself subject to the judgment of men who would, if in Gondor, be obliged to recognize his ultimate authority over them, especially when he doesn't have the power or authority to alter the situation.

At this crossroads, so much depended on his own choice, and on him making his mind. In a way, I'm glad he did not come to that pass in the end...

Oh, in way, I think he finally does have to choose, it just doesn't unfold in the way he or Halbarad might've expected.

I just *loved* Halbarad. He seems so self-assured and not a bit intimidated,

Benefits of age. He's been "steward" probably as long as Boromir's been alive, and this is, after all, his home turf. He's in a much more comfortable and familiar position than Boromir is, despite facing a similar mental wrench.

Halbarad was also a pain in the arse to write this time, may I just say. I don't know why, but Halbarad nuzgûl seem to delight in being difficult to defang.

I also loved the reasoning behind the Steward of Gondor coming to the liutenant of the rangers, and what it means, symbolically : it's almost a surrendering of trust, of stewardship, in its own right. That was, I believe, my favorite part.

I'm really glad this worked for you—I've had the idea that Halbarad was complementary to Denethor as a model of stewardship for awhile now, but I didn't expect, when I started writing this, that I'd have the opportunity to show that Boromir and Halbarad are also complementary, though in a different way.

Thank you so much, and also to your betas. You all did a great job.

Yes, many thanks to the beta readers who put up with me!

I like the idea of Boromir having an 'original' vision. It is enigmatic enough to trouble him and thus warrant a repeat occurrence. By the way, is it a vision of the past or the future? Nice characterization of Halbarad.

Hi Bardess.

I like the idea of Boromir having an 'original' vision. It is enigmatic enough to trouble him and thus warrant a repeat occurrence.

Foresight's so unpredictable, it seemed as though a short, enigmatic vision wouldn't be out of character, since Boromir has already had one precognitive dream. And of course, it does allow me to break the character out of his brooding rut.

By the way, is it a vision of the past or the future?

It's deliberately left vague. Although Boromir believes it's a vision of the past, since the king's standard hasn't been used for centuries, and because Faramir's narration is about a past event, he ultimately doesn't know. He's not even sure he should believe Halbarad when Halbarad tells him it was a vision.

Nice characterization of Halbarad.

I'm glad you liked him. Thanks for your comments!

Dwim

Dwim,

I was dropping by the site after a long time, and saw this.

Wow.

Halbarad and Boromir - this was an inspired blend of canon and invention. Completely wonderful characterisation, and and a fantastic evocation of the shared but divergent cultures of the two Numenorean branches.

Black sails, and Castamir, indeed. If Aragorn had taken the ring, who's to say that those sails wouldn't have meant what Boromir feared?

cheers,
Maya

Hi again, Maya.

I'm very glad you enjoyed this story, and that the characterization worked. After all the hits to the head with a cudgel those two got as I tried to pull this one together, I'm lucky they aren't all loopy! ;)

If Aragorn had taken the ring, who's to say that those sails wouldn't have meant what Boromir feared?

Naught for naught does Mordor fear him, to quote Legolas. If Aragorn had claimed the Ring, it could've been as bad as Boromir imagined, and worse.

Someone ought to write that AU...

Dwim

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)