Forum: Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)

Discussing: Midsummer's Eve

Midsummer's Eve

Although I've marked the story as "Mature", that's more for safety. There's maybe one thing that might really deserve it, but I doubt it's worse than anything seen on TV.

Midsummer's Eve.

Summary: And on the evening of Midsummer Aragorn, Arathorn's son, and Arwen daughter of Elrond went to the fair hill, Cerin Amroth, in the midst of the land, and they walked unshod on the undying grass with elanor and niphredil about their feet. And there upon that hill they looked east to the Shadow and west to the Twilight, and they plighted their troth and were glad.—'The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen,' Appendix A, ROTK, 386.

Four drabbles for Arwen, for being quartered on choice... and desire.

I once again blame G.A. Please go throw things at her. Preferably furry, fangy things.

Re: Midsummer's Eve

It's a very satisfying set of drabbles. I loved the breaks in them, even though they technically picked right back up.

It did seem a little odd to switch between contractions and an older style of writing though. And in chapter two: "who whose" typo?

It's a very satisfying set of drabbles.

Thanks, MFB!

I loved the breaks in them, even though they technically picked right back up.

It's after midnight here, and my brain is a puddle of goo. Breaks? You mean just the paragraphing...? Brain not functional.

It did seem a little odd to switch between contractions and an older style of writing though.

When it comes to drabbles, I almost always go over by between 10 and 40 words. So it's not that I want to be deliberately mixing more formal, spelled out verbs and contracted ones, it's just that contractions are only one word instead of two and the word count is the bottom line.

Also, I plead that Tolkien uses contractions more than he's given credit for. ;-)

@ typo: oops! Will fix that. Hey, I can get rid of a contraction!

Dwim

Hi, Dwim

I will happily take all the blame. What a great quartet! Of course, knowing my inclinations, you were well aware I would be happy.

Go right on being bitten.....

Meanwhile, I am writing bits and pieces of "Sword." I promise!

G.A.

He does? That's something of a relief. I often feel so odd working contractions into stories, even ones set in modern times. But then they sound so awkward if we're used to the shortened form and then have to write it out, but then it looks odd on paper... Gyah. Never-ending cycle. But if Tolkien can use them and sound professional, it must be possible. I should really reread the books again and pay proper attention to the writing. Actually, I really need to reread them. I'm writing a piece focusing on a member of Ghan-buri-Ghan's clan, and I can barely remember anything about them. And I didn't bring my books up. x.x

I will happily take all the blame. What a great quartet!

Thank you, on both accounts. ;-)

Of course, knowing my inclinations, you were well aware I would be happy.

Of course!

Go right on being bitten.....

It's not as if there's a choice, here. Now I've got a request for Aragorn with Eomer! Gah!

I am glad you are getting bits of "Sword"--it'll be nice to have an update to wait for.

Dwim

He does? That's something of a relief.

He does. They're not totally forbidden, although I'd also have to go back and reread to give specific usage contexts.

My rules of thumb when drabbling is to use them to cut word counts, and to try to use them more in the exposition than in dialogue sections. Oddly enough, that reverses my tendencies when writing longer, dialogue-heavy pieces: there, I'm more likely to let characters speak with contractions than to use them in the narrated sections. I will use contractions in drabbles I would not ordinarily use in a longer story (unless I'm aiming for to suggest a lower class dialect) just because I can't otherwise squeeze in under the word count, but I feel it's generally worth it.

Actually, I really need to reread them. I'm writing a piece focusing on a member of Ghan-buri-Ghan's clan, and I can barely remember anything about them.

Ooh, yes, definitely need the books, and Unfinished Tales especially. I suppose there's some consolation in that Amazon is cheap?

Four drabbles for Arwen, for being quartered on choice... and desire.

Sigh... well, those were lovely! I know they weren't for me, but thank you anyway!

Gwynnyd 

He does? That's something of a relief.

LOL - I did a search on some contractions way back when. (Darned if I can find where I posted it here at HASA) but I never delete anything.    I have no data on how often they are used in dialogue versus descrption, but by actual count the numbers are:

Fellowship of the ring        
    Don't    212
    Can't    64
    It's    66
    Do not    181
    Cannot    142
    It is    340

Two Towers        
    Don't    149
    Do not    187
    Can't    65
    cannot    78
    It's    74
    It is    241

Return of the King        
    Don't    99
    Do not    105
    Can't    56
    Cannot    50
    It's    78
    It is    168

Hobbit        
    Don't    124
    Do not    12
    Can't    23
    Cannot    23
    It's    37
    It is    85

Gwynnyd 

I simply needed to jump in here. Gwynnyd, that's great. Thank you for the data, and the idea to compile it. I can't remember how often I've had the discussion about contractions... this is so helpful!

Cheers,

Juno 

Loved these drabbles! Beautifully done. Love the use of the quotations to anchor them. I'm green with envy.

"I once again blame G.A. Please go throw things at her. Preferably furry, fangy things."

No furry, fangy things--virtual bouquets of roses (or better yet, of elanor and niphredil) to both of you.

Oshun

Sigh... well, those were lovely! I know they weren't for me, but thank you anyway!

You're welcome, Gwynnyd! I'm glad you liked them, and since G.A. already has two more-than-drabble-length birthday ficlets from me, perhaps she won't mind sharing these with everyone else?

Dwim

Re: Contractions stats

I feel so vindicated to have data to back me up! Thanks, Gwynnyd, these are intriguing lists.

Loved these drabbles! Beautifully done. Love the use of the quotations to anchor them.

Using the quotes like that was both a challenge and a sneaky way of occasionally getting in an extra twenty words or so, heh heh.

No furry, fangy things--virtual bouquets of roses (or better yet, of elanor and niphredil) to both of you.

LOL! Well, thank you for the flowers--properly ethereal and elven in their virtual state.

Dwim

Hi, Dwim

I play nicely with others and share my toys.

But would you mind if I put a link to this story in the intro to my birthday story? Or would you like to add a chapter with a link, along with, perhaps, calling on the God of Drabbles to smite me with furry, fangy things?

G.A. 

But would you mind if I put a link to this story in the intro to my birthday story?

Yes, that's fine.

calling on the God of Drabbles to smite me with furry, fangy things?

I've been doing the SMITE!SMITE!SMITE! dance all afternoon, I'll have you know! Proof of the non-existence of a just God may be found in that I don't have any tree-sex drabbles yet.

Dwim

Proof of the non-existence of a just God may be found in that I don't have any tree-sex drabbles yet.

And proof for the existence of such may be found in that I have been bitten - hard. Karma can be downright orkish.

Not to tip my hand, but the idea of Fimbrethil/Goldberry has wedged itself way too deeply in my head. Come on, say it with me now: "crack!fic". But it is refusing to cooperate in drabbles, and so far I have about 1,000 fairly disjointed words.

Which of course means that, like all the stuff I try to write lately, it will fizz out before I have anything shareable. But if my pain is entertaining for you, know that your nuzgul has struck marrow.

Marta

And proof for the existence of such may be found in that I have been bitten - hard. Karma can be downright orkish.

Not to tip my hand, but the idea of Fimbrethil/Goldberry has wedged itself way too deeply in my head.

Come on, say it with me now:

"Crack!fic."

Heh. Heh. Heh. I am highly amused, Marta, truly I am. But fear not: if karma is orcish, I'm sure that something wicked my fannish way comes--after all, you're choosing the topic of the compensatory/penance drabble I'll be writing once you're done...

Dwim

Karma can be downright orkish.

Hopefully I'm paid up for a bit: lookee.

I'm sure that something wicked my fannish way comes--after all, you're choosing the topic of the compensatory/penance drabble I'll be writing once you're done...

Actually, I would love some young hobbits playing pranks. All the better if you can use it to explain or explore something Tolkien wrote, though I guess that's not mandatory.

And you get no pity from me. I was going to spend the weekend reading Madeleine's novels for the MEFAs. What do I get? Three days of my first-ever slash piece. And first-ever fairly explicit sex scene. Do you have any idea how difficult non-humanoid sex is to write? Nope, no pity whatsoever.

Marta

Actually, I would love some young hobbits playing pranks.

*Groan* All right, all right, I'll get cracking. Do the hobbit dance or something, because me and the hobbit muse, we don't talk much.

I was going to spend the weekend reading Madeleine's novels for the MEFAs.

You should still definitely read those if you find the time.

Ok, young hobbit plus pranks...

Right.

Will work on this...

Dwim

*Groan*

Okay, you can have just a little pity. Thinking about it some more, I can see where that prompt would be hard. Sleep on it, and if nothing comes to you, I will come up with some alternate penance. Though I don't promise it will be pretty.

Now I really am off to sleep. And sorry to monopolize your forum like this!

Marta

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)