Forum: Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)

Discussing: Affiliations

Affiliations

Affiliations is a quasi-introspective piece I've been writing in bits and pieces over the last year. Finally got the last few lines this week, so here it is.

Comments? Questions?

Dwim

Re: Affiliations

I loved it! A good 'tale' about Aragorn's forefathers.

But I would wish for a bit more interaction between father and son. It looks verymuch as if Aragorn is thinking this and not telling his son.

OR did I not understand it correctly and he is merely thinking - with a baby son?

~Vilwarin

Hi Vilwarin,

Thanks for your comments, I'm glad you enjoyed this! I do appreciate the issue of the... internality... of this 'dialogue.' You are right that this is directed to an infant Eldarion, so there will not be much in the way of response from that quarter!

But Aragorn is speaking, not just thinking it.  

I had trouble trying to fit this into a context once I had the drabbles themselves done--if I set it around Eldarion's 16th birthday and actually had Aragorn improvise the initiation ritual with him, then the uninterrupted form of the 'confession' or disclosure of self, makes it hard to write a story with more than one speaker--it would simply be boring. However, if I altered the form, I felt it lost something of its power. 

My solution to the dilemma was to move the setting back quite a ways in time, though perhaps I should indicate that more clearly in the summary.

Dwim 

I can't remember, Dwim, as I read it, if I was exactly sure of who was speaking and who was being spoken too....

But it didn't matter - what was incredibly powerful for me was the 'history' of each of Aragorn's ancestors - the story of each - though only told in the smallest piece of each one's history and in very few words... was extremely powerful.... each one became someone I felt I knew... and that is very good writing, if you ask me!

When I finally realized Aragorn was speaking to his son - it made it even more potent!

Hi Agape,

what was incredibly powerful for me was the 'history' of each of Aragorn's ancestors - the story of each - though only told in the smallest piece of each one's history and in very few words

Thank you!

each one became someone I felt I knew

It was interesting how quickly the name can become a personality.

When I finally realized Aragorn was speaking to his son - it made it even more potent!

Aragorn of course is my final target in all this. (Who, me, obsessed?) The shortness of the drabble form is partly about me trying to come up with something from each life that he could reflect on and find meaningful, and what he finds interesting, and why, become indicators for his own personality.

And one day, Eldarion will have to do this with his son, and put Aragorn in his place in the line of fathers who make their sons who they are.

Thanks for your comments!

Dwim

Dwim, this is really lovely. I'm not surprised that it was conceived as a series of drabbles, because the whole thing has such a nice rhythm to it, and a balance between the bare facts and records and Aragorn's interpretations of them. The way that he chooses to tell the long story of his forbears tells me a lot about him; I can really see why he's your favorite!

Thanks for this,
Aliana

Hi Aliana!

I'm not surprised that it was conceived as a series of drabbles, because the whole thing has such a nice rhythm to it, and a balance between the bare facts and records and Aragorn's interpretations of them.

Thank you! It did seem unreasonable that anyone would go into extreme historical detail for this sort of thing, and drabbling is a good way of letting one highlight one aspect of an event in an extremely condensed form. So it was a natural fit. (Of course, as I told Altariel, it is a bit weird that Aragorn should manage 100 words for each person, hence I don't advertize its drabble status in the story itself! )

The way that he chooses to tell the long story of his forbears tells me a lot about him; I can really see why he's your favorite!

*makes hash mark on fanfictional bedpost*

The whole thing is just one big confessional monologue...

Thanks for your comments!

Dwim

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

We're sorry. This is a closed discussion. Content is available only to invited readers.

« Back to Dwim's Stories (was Lie Down...)