Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Heirs of a Realm

Heirs of a Realm

I'm not sure if I'm right, and correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, in most cases the heir of a King would not be a woman and so for this reason Luthien never had a chance to rule in Menegroth, even if she could or wanted to. But after Thingol died his heir was Dior, the son of Luthien and Beren, even though Beren was a mortal.

In the same way, if Gondolin had survived long enough, would Earendil be Turgon's heir, since Idril was his only child, or would it be passed to Maeglin, since Earendil is half-elven? Or does it not matter that Earendil is half elven since he is from Turgon's line?

Any help is appreciated.

--Elithien

Re: Heirs of a Realm

I'm not sure if I'm right, and correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand, in most cases the heir of a King would not be a woman and so for this reason Luthien never had a chance to rule in Menegroth, even if she could or wanted to. But after Thingol died his heir was Dior, the son of Luthien and Beren, even though Beren was a mortal.

I'm don't think it is ever specified the the heir couldn't be female. When the Sil talks about Galadriel during Feanor's speech it says "she yearned to see the wide unguarded lands and to rule there a realm at her own will." So there is no reason a female couldn't rule. Luthien had gone to Tol Galen with Beren, and died not long after Thingol.

In the same way, if Gondolin had survived long enough, would Earendil be Turgon's heir, since Idril was his only child, or would it be passed to Maeglin, since Earendil is half-elven? Or does it not matter that Earendil is half elven since he is from Turgon's line?

I can't see why it would matter that he is half-elven. As Idril's son, I didn't see anything in The Fall of Gondolin that would say he wouldn't have inherited the rule.

Lyllyn

Re: Heirs of a Realm

Great. Thanks a lot Lyllyn for your help!

--Elithien

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum