Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: storytellers - traditional openings

storytellers - traditional openings

How might a storyteller of Middle-Earth have begun his telling - especially traditional openings?

Re: storytellers - traditional openings

The one example that comes to mind is from Return of the King, "The Fields of Cormallen":

"Lo! lords and knights and men of valour unashamed, kings and princes, Dunedain of the North, and Elf and Dwarf, and greathears of the Shire, and all free folk of the West, now listen to my lay. For I will sing to you of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom."

So this introduction has a few key parts:

(1) "Lo" - an interjection used to call attention to something. Almost like saying "Hear what I am about to say."

(2) "lords and knights and men of valour unashamed, kings and princes," - In this part you give honor to people of high standingin society.

(3) " Dunedain of the North, and Elf and Dwarf, and greathearts of the Shire, and all free folk of the West, now listen to my lay." - This includes everyone present, no matter their social standing.

(4) "For I will sing to you of Frodo of the Nine Fingers" - this identifies the protagonist of the story that is about to be told.

(5) "and the Ring of Doom." - this identifies the antagonist that the protagonist had to struggle against.

I'm hesitant to make a blanket statement here, but it seems you could follow this model as a good introduction for formal story-telling, at least among Men.

Marta

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum