Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Sindarin conjugations

Sindarin conjugations

As part of a story I have a character teaching himself Sindarin. I'd like to have him repeating to himself a conjugation of a Sindarin verb. To keep things simple I think I'll stick to a regular verb (I'll say the character is only beginning his study of the language).

The tricksy part is, I haven't studied Sindarin. Can someone suggest a regular Sindarin verb for me and give me the conjugation for I / you (singular) / he / we? Which verb doesn't matter.

Thanks in advance,

Marta

Re: Sindarin conjugations

OK the tricksey part is we are not too sure about the pronominal endings – especially the second person. And there is uncertainty if second person makes a distinction between singular and plural (not to mention respectful and familiar forms!) David Salo in the movie dialogue didn’t seem to. If you want to make a distinction use –g for the second singular ending instead of –ch.
Anyway maybe this will serve for your story.

linna- "sing, chant", inf. linno, pr.t. linna, pa.t. linne- (3 sg lind, or linnant), fut. linnatha, imp. linno, part. linnol (perfective linniel), pp. linnen (pl. linnin), ger. linnad

Present tense:
linnon – I sing
linnach – you sing
linna – he/she/it sings
linnam – we sing
linnach – you sing
linnar – they sing

Past tense:
linen - I sang
linnech – you sang
lind (or linnant) - he/she/it sang
linnem – we sang
linnech – you sang
linner – they sang

future tense
linnathon – I will sing
linnathach – you will sing
linnatha - he/she/it will sing
linnatham– we will sing
linnathech – you will sing
linnathar – they will sing

Ithildin

Re: Sindarin conjugations

Thanks, Ithilden, for the help. Much appreciated.

Marta

A thought

This forum has been rather overrun with language inquiries recently...but wouldn't those be better asked here? Just a point for future reference...

-Aerlinnel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum