Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Question for anyone having the ROTK dvd

Question for anyone having the ROTK dvd

I don't have the dvd; only a video, and no remote with which to use a PAUSE setting. (and I can't get universal remotes to work on this TV, don't ask...) I was hoping whether someone could tell me if the bows the orcs used to shoot Faramir and his charging cavalry were short bows or longbows. They looked more like longbows to me, but I'm not sure. Thanx for any help. Raksha

Re: Question for anyone having the ROTK dvd

I was hoping whether someone could tell me if the bows the orcs used to shoot Faramir and his charging cavalry were short bows or longbows. They looked more like longbows to me, but I'm not sure. Nope, they look more like recurves to me. I'll send you a screen cap. I'm sure I can dredge up your e-mail address somewhere. Gwynnyd

What would Faramir call them? Short bows? Just plain bows? Raksha

I have done a limited amount of mounted archery and found I needed to use my youngest son's jr bow because of problems trying to manage the length of the weapon on horseback. I'm not sure what is historically accurate, as opposed to what is currently used in competition, but I'm sure a web search would quickly give you some technical details on the bows.

What would Faramir call them? Short bows? Just plain bows? When faced with an oncoming rain of iron-tipped war arrows, he probably doesn't have time for much more than "oh, S***T". Did he ever get close enough to actually see the bows? Or was he cut down far enough away that he only saw the arrows and vague figures in the distance. Looking closely at the screen cap, it seems to be a mixture of bow-types anyway. Some are definitely shorter recurves and a few are longer and straight. I think you can choose either fairly safely. if anyone else wants the screen cap, let me know. gwynnyd@di.org Gwynnyd

When faced with an oncoming rain of iron-tipped war arrows, he probably doesn't have time for much more than "oh, S***T".

Thanx, Gwynnyd. If you have a chance to look again at the dvd and press thet pause button at the scene of Faramir leading the mounted cavalry out of Minas Tirith, can you tell how many troops there are? I had thought it was 200 men, but can't remember where I got that figure. Or was it 100.... RAKSHA

can you tell how many troops there are? I had thought it was 200 men, but can't remember where I got that figure. Or was it 100.... Oh evil one. You can't really tell. They are careful never to show both ends of the line. One of the arial shots shows 71 riders, but the line clearly continues to the left. In the frontal shots I can count 73 riders, but the lines are meant to continue both right and left. I assume they ony had about 75 horses for that shoot. How many there were *supposed* to be is anyone's guess. Make up what number you want to, I think. It sure *looks* like a whole lot more than that doesn't it? Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum