Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Werewolves

Werewolves

Does anyone have any information on werewolves in Tolkien's world? CLF

Re: Werewolves

There is a Resource Library entry here: Werewolves - Barbara

In addition to the entry, Sauron turns himself into a werewolf and fights Huan. It's also a werewolf that kills all the other members of Beren's party when they were captured, the last of whom was Finrod. We're told Finrod is able to kill it with his bare hands and teeth (but he dies in the process). I don't think that they're meant to be the werewolves of bad horror movies - they're animals and not men who turn into animals at the full moon. That's just my interpretation of what's written, though. EDIT - I realized I had a sentence that made no sense.

Thank you for your help! Would werewolves be intelligient, or able to breed?

Thank you for your help! Would werewolves be intelligient, or able to breed? Just popping by, here ... I don't know precisely where to look in Tolkien's own works for details of werewolves, and I'm too lazy to investigate just now. However, in David Day's 'Characters from Tolkien' it does indicate they were intelligent. He states that werewolves were unknown evil spirits who entered wolf-form by sorcery, AND they were able to speak in Orcish and Elvish tongues. He says that Draugluin, who fought Huan, was able to speak Huan's name to Sauron before he died. It also says that after Huan defeated Sauron, the sorcery that bound these spirits to the wolf form was ended. So it sounds like they probably did not breed, but rather were sort of like Balrogs in that they inhabited a physical form, but were not neccesarily of the same physicality as ordinary wolves and wild creatures. Anywho, hope this is of some help, and I apologise for not having all the pertinent Tolkien quotes at hand. Cheers ~ Erin

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum