Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Well... Having discovered an old (not-so-well-written) piece on my hard drive, and browsing the Silm, has re-awakened my curiosity in the Undying Lands. The short of my question is names in Valinor. Quenya was the main tongue among the elves there, with its different dialects. I'd like a few names suitable for Telerin elves (maybe five or six, a few of male and a few of female). Doesn't have to be in Telerin elvish (I'm not that nitpicky), just something in Quenya that sounds decent and not too longwinded. I found a Quenya name generator in the links section, but the names I came up with do not sound fantastic. Thanks, Allie

Re: What's in a name?

The names of the kings and queens of Númenor are of Quenya origin, so you could use those. I use them a lot for character names. You could also try the index in the Silm for likely sounding names. Jay

I'm not sure if the Teleri had names in Quenya. PoME tells us that Finarfin gives names to his some of his children that are in the language of the Teleri. We're also told that he learned to speak their language, so I'm assuming it's different from Quenya, which they spoke in Tirion. The Vanyar also spoke Quenya, but an older form of it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the language the Teleri spoke is more related to the Sindar dialect than Quenya. I had a link somewhere to a list of modern names which were translated into their meanings and then those meanings where translated into (usually) Quenya. Let me see if I can still find it.

PoME tells us that Finarfin gives names to his some of his children that are in the language of the Teleri. We're also told that he learned to speak their language, so I'm assuming it's different from Quenya, which they spoke in Tirion. Really? I did not know that Finarfin gave Finrod & Co. Telerin names. The Vanyar also spoke Quenya, but an older form of it. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the language the Teleri spoke is more related to the Sindar dialect than Quenya. The Three Kindreds in Aman did speak different dialects of Quenya, but I'm not sure how closely those are related to Sindarin. It would make sense that Telerin Quenya would give roots to Sindarin, since all the Teleri spoke it on the Great March, and when they split, the Teleri going to Aman would preserve that form of the language, while the language of the Teleri who remained in ME (becoming the Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi) would shift and mutate into Sindarin. Eh, I'll just stick with Quenya. Easiest way to go. I had a link somewhere to a list of modern names which were translated into their meanings and then those meanings where translated into (usually) Quenya. Are you talking about the Quenya Lapsaparma (Quenya Baby Book)? I had forgotten about that one: it's in the Resources section here, in the URL Library under Language. Thanks for the tips, Jay and Ria! ~Allie

It would make sense that Telerin Quenya would give roots to Sindarin, since all the Teleri spoke it on the Great March, and when they split, the Teleri going to Aman would preserve that form of the language, while the language of the Teleri who remained in ME (becoming the Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi) would shift and mutate into Sindarin. Sorta yes, sorta no. The Teleri hung out on M-e for quite a while before they got to go over to the shores of Valinor, so they spoke their own dialect of Sindarin-influenced Telerin before they spoke any Quenya at all. When the half or so of them went to Valinor, their language would more likely have been influenced by Quenya, but keep many of their Sindarin-esque roots. Everything I've seen points something more along the lines of a splitting off of Quenya-Telerin from the original Telerin. Doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but... ^_^; Berz.

Hey, Allie, here's part of the quote: "The names Findarato and Angarato were Telerin in form for Finarfin spoke the language of his wife's people...(Artafinde and Artanga would have been their more natural Quenya forms..." (PoME) As for the site, I'm not sure if it's the Quenya baby book. I found it from a page called "Now we all have Elvish names." It's most likely the same thing. ~Ria

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum