Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Beregond

Beregond

Is there any indication in canon as to how old Beregond is? Would there be any reason I couldn't make him about 6 years younger than Faramir? Thanks, Avon

Re: Beregond

Is there any indication in canon as to how old Beregond is? Would there be any reason I couldn't make him about 6 years younger than Faramir? There's nothing in canon regarding Beregond's age that I can see, but he does have a ten year old son (Bergil) and a brother (though it may be a brother-in-law) who is around 30. (When Pippin tells Bergil that he's 29, Bergil replies that Pippin is almost as old as Bergil's uncle.) If you make Beregond 6 years younger than Faramir, he would also be around 30 at the time of RotK - and that means he would only have been around 20 at the time of Bergil's birth. While that clearly isn't impossible, it would be a very young age for a Dunadan man to have married and had children. (The typical minimum age for marrage seems to be around 25.) However, my impression is that it's not completely clear if Beregond is Dunedain: we know his family comes from Ithilien originally, via Lossarnach after Ithilien was abandoned, but he could be either part or mostly Dunedain or he could be primarily non-Dunedain and descended from what Faramir describes as "the sturdy folk of the sea-coast, and from the hardy mountaineers of Ered Nimrais" who apparently make up the bulk of Gondor's population (and who are descended from the original inhabitants, before Isildur and Anarion and their followers colonised Gondor). So it depends what you consider to be Beregond's likely ancestry and whether Dunedain approaches to marriage have been adopted by those of non-Dunedain descent in Gondor over the years. Hope that helps. Cheers, Liz

Is there any indication in canon as to how old Beregond is? Would there be any reason I couldn't make him about 6 years younger than Faramir? The only thing we know is Bergil is 10 at the time of the Ring War in 3019. Faramir is 36 at that point, so if Beregond is 30, it's still reasonable for him to have a 10 year son. Lyllyn Edit - oops - you beat me to it, Liz, and far more complete answer!

Thank you very much, Liz and Lyllyn! That's good news for me because it means, if I decide I really want to, I probably could fit Beregond into my story without bending canon too much. His brother being so close to that age and his son not having mentioned his father being close to Pippin's age would worry me most. Even though I see what you mean, Liz (and thanks for all the extra info) about him being an exceedingly young father that alone wouldn't stop me, because as far as I can see Tolkine himself had a great tendency to break those sort of rules once he'd set them up. Of course, his brother being so close to the age I wanted opens up new possibilties - I could use him instead. Thanks, Avon

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum