Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Names sites?

Names sites?

Me again! I'm needing some names for people living in the port of Pelargir -- can anyone direct me towards a good site for that? I'm simply not knowledgeable enough about creating anything but Rohirric names to start randomly creating names that might mean "SisterLover" or "FootHead". And in my ability to make Rohirric names has been called into question as well. Heh. For all the curious types -- yes, all three of my most recent questions are connected. Soon all shall be revealed! ...or not.

Re: Names sites?

Since it was founded by Numenoreans, I think you can pinch a few from the line of kings and queens in Appendix A (which are Quenya in origin, I believe), or some derivation thereof: Vardamir, Amandil, Elendil, Meneldur, Aldarion, Ancalime, Anarion, Surion, Telperien, Minastir, Ciryatan, Atanamir, Ancalimon, Telemmaite, Vanimelde, Alcarin, Calmacil; or, in Numenorean (or Adunaic): Adunakhor, Zimrathon, Sakalthor, Gimilzor, Inziladun, Miriel And now that I actually got up and checked, looky here: In the years of their power, the Numenoreans had maintained many forts and havens upon the western coasts of Middle-earth...and one of the chief of these was at Pelargir near the Mouths of the Anduin. There Adunaic was spoken, and mingled with the many words of the languages of lesser men it became a Common Speech that spread thence along the coasts among all that had dealings with Westernesse. - Appendix F, LOTR So yeah, you've got your pick of all the Common Speech names. For all the curious types -- yes, all three of my most recent questions are connected. Soon all shall be revealed! I hope I'm getting some Eomer smut out of this.

So yeah, you've got your pick of all the Common Speech names. Man, I hate to reveal this, but seriously -- I am utter crap at Tolkien languages. So I still need a nice site that'll spell it all out for me. Oooh, unless I can use the generator at the Barrowdowns. That's a thought..... (edit) Which isn't to say that I won't steal some of those names you've listed. And thanks for that! I hope I'm getting some Eomer smut out of this. Wow, that would be cool, wouldn't it? Unfortunately, I'm not your girl for smut at this point. Although if I were, it's safe to say that Eomer would be at the top of the list.

oooh, I did find a couple of sites with Adunaic stuff. Neato. I'll pop em in later -- right now I'm screwing around at work.

Man, I hate to reveal this, but seriously -- I am utter crap at Tolkien languages. So I still need a nice site that'll spell it all out for me. Oooh, unless I can use the generator at the Barrowdowns. That's a thought..... Hi EdorasLass, I think your best bet is the appendices at the endof The Silmarillion. It seems likely that Gondorians would reuse a lot of the names of First Age Elves. I'd caution against using the Adunaiac names from Numenor, though. Gondor and Arnor was founded by the Faithful of Numenor. Adunaiac was favoured by those Numenoreans who wanted to sever ties with Elves and didn't worship the Valar anymore. So I think it would have been frowned upon in Gondor and Arnor; people might have learned it to study records written in it, but not for other purposes, and names certainly woluld be in Sindarin (probably), or Westron, but not Adunaiac. (Btw, I laid a lot of this out in much more detail in my article "Tongues of Gondor", which is archived at this archive.) Marta

(Btw, I laid a lot of this out in much more detail in my article "Tongues of Gondor", which is archived at this archive.) I must've missed it, or my brain was looking for something entitled "Names" and therefore it totally didn't even register. I know how one-track my mind can be. I'll go look at it! Thanks lady!

Bear with me -- I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm just really really Type A. Okay, so in your article you say There [at Pelargir] Adûnaic was spoken, and mingled with many words of the languages of lesser men it became a Common Speech that spread thence along the coasts among all that had dealings with Westernesse....However, it would still most likely have influenced the dialect of Westron spoken in southern Gondor as well as the Corsairs’ language....Adûnaic in its pure form would probably not be widely studied in Gondor, though words of Adûnaic origin would surely survive in Westron. So, in 3rd age Pelargir, it is possible/likely there are random Adunaic words floating around in the speech of that particular port, perhaps more a patois peculiar to Pelargir than anything in common usage anywhere else? But for names, it would be better to go with names assembled from the Simarillion appendices. Is this true for common folk as well? No upper-class characters here. The reason I ask that specifically is that I already sorta have a one-word Adunaic word picked out for a character. She is born and bred-Pelargir, so is that feasible, in your opinion, or too unlikely? Thanks so much for the help!

Bear with me -- I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm just really really Type A. Okay, so in your article you say Understood -- no offence taken. (And I'm not Tolkien; I get things wrong, and welcome people questioning me on them. ;-) ) So, in 3rd age Pelargir, it is possible/likely there are random Adunaic words floating around in the speech of that particular port, perhaps more a patois peculiar to Pelargir than anything in common usage anywhere else? I can definitely accept that. We have words in English from French and German, and even from languages like Arabic, where the countries that speak them were often at war with those from western Europe. But for names, it would be better to go with names assembled from the Simarillion appendices. Is this true for common folk as well? No upper-class characters here. Right. People from lower classes probably didn't know what their words *meant*, but they'd almost certainly exist in all classes. Also, I think it's likely that the lower classes would *copy* the names of the upper classes. I imagine there were quite a few 30-40-year-old Boromir's and Faramir's running around Minas Tirith at the time of the Ring War. The reason I ask that specifically is that I already sorta have a one-word Adunaic word picked out for a character. She is born and bred-Pelargir, so is that feasible, in your opinion, or too unlikely? Feasible, I think. Perhaps a bit unusual, but not completely too much so. If you feel so inclined you might include a note that you know the name is Adunaiac but that you theorize it was probably a family name dating back to the time when Adunaiac was more common, or something like that. But it probably will never occur to anyone but complete language geeks like me. ;) Thanks so much for the help! You're welcome! Glad I could help. Marta

If you feel so inclined you might include a note that you know the name is Adunaiac but that you theorize it was probably a family name dating back to the time when Adunaiac was more common, or something like that. But it probably will never occur to anyone but complete language geeks like me. ;) Heee. I'm trying to get to the "language geek" level, because I'm such a total freak about things like that in English, and when I know a bit about another language, I get just as freaky about it. Slow going, of course, as they expect me to, you know, "work" at work. What's that about? Right. People from lower classes probably didn't know what their words *meant*, but they'd almost certainly exist in all classes. Also, I think it's likely that the lower classes would *copy* the names of the upper classes. I imagine there were quite a few 30-40-year-old Boromir's and Faramir's running around Minas Tirith at the time of the Ring War. That's funny, because as a former, current, and probably future daycare teacher, I can often hazard a good guess at someone's age by their name alone because of the way name trends run. I can just see half of Gondor being named Faramir or Boromir, or for the daring, Meriadoc or Peregrin. This is all excellent news! Wheeeeeeeee! Thanks again!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum