Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Help with Elvish?

Help with Elvish?

I know about as much Elvish as I do Esperanto, so I definitely need help, please! I need an exclamation of disbelief and shock, as in "I can not believe what I'm seeing". Thanks so much! ...and I do actually know more Elvish than Esperanto. But not by much. hee hee...

Re: Help with Elvish?

Sindarin or Quenya? How about: Ú-chenion man cínon! My tentative translation into Sindarin of: "I don't understand what I see!" Dragonflame gives "pul-" as can, but the two books I have on Sindarin and Quenya don't have that, so I did not use it either. "-chenion" is the leniated form of "henia" (to understand). "Man" is the word derived from Quenya that can be used for "who/what". And "cínon" is present tense of "cen-" "to see". Yours Juno

(gentle poke): The forum dedicated to M-e languages is here; using this forum will alert linguaphiles following it by email and keep the general reference questions forum a bit cleaner. Thanks! Juno -- curious -- what books do you have? -Aerlinnel

I have the two books by Helmut W. Pesch, grammar and dictionary of Quenya and Sindarin and the course book to go with it. Apart from that I use the Renk. Yours Juno

(gentle poke): The forum dedicated to M-e languages is here; I knew that was there -- I just couldn't seem to find it last night! Thanks, and thanks Juno, too!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum