Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Theodred's hair - no, seriously.

Theodred's hair - no, seriously.

Is his hair colour mentioned anywhere? I'd've guessed your normal Rohirric various shades of blond, but them making him dark-headed in the movie kind of threw me. Or does Theodred get written about so rarely that no-one will care which I go with? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Re: Theodred's hair - no, seriously.

I'd've guessed your normal Rohirric various shades of blond, but them making him dark-headed in the movie kind of threw me. That, plus the de-aging of the character. He looked younger than Eowyn! I don't think it's mentioned anywhere, and I just re-read the Fords of Isen part of UT. So I'd say blonde is a safe bet.

That, plus the de-aging of the character. He looked younger than Eowyn! Ah, but I still think he was the prettiest corpse I've ever seen! Théoden's hair and beard were white, presumably due to age, so we can't use his coloration as a familial clue for Théodred. But I agree with both of you, blond is the most likely hair color for the Rohirrim, who seem to be distant descendants of the golden-haired House of Hador. I'm rather partial to the term "flaxen-pale," which I hope to incorporate into a drabble sometime soon, should the Muses choose to cooperate... - Barbara

Ah, but I still think he was the prettiest corpse I've ever seen! That is true, and I think that should be wrong. Except that he was alive the first time we saw him, and that makes it ok. But I agree with both of you, blond is the most likely hair color for the Rohirrim Groovy. Now I just have to picture Blond Theodred in my head. Cause that dark-headed one is sure hard to displace.

don't think it's mentioned anywhere, and I just re-read the Fords of Isen part of UT. So I'd say blonde is a safe bet. What?! No-where does it say, "Theodred's thick, luxurious, split-end-free wild blond mane blew majestically in the breeze, blinding him to the Orcish danger until it was too late"? I find that hard to believe.

Hi All. While Theodred is more likely to be fair-haired, there is a possibility that he's dark-haired since his grandmother was Morwen of Lossarnarch: it's probable she was a standard-issue dark-haired, grey-eyed Gondorian Numenorean. Arghhh, and now you have got me thinking about why there are apparently no blond Numenoreans/Dunedain hanging around in the third age in Tolkien, when there were definitely blond ones at the start of the Second Age, and there should surely be a reasonable number of blond descendents of the House of Hador around.... *tries to beat off research nuzgul* Cheers, Liz

What?! No-where does it say, "Theodred's thick, luxurious, split-end-free wild blond mane blew majestically in the breeze, blinding him to the Orcish danger until it was too late"? I find that hard to believe. I believe that can only be found in the first-edition Fangurl (TM) text. Rather difficult to find, actually, if you don't live in my head.

While Theodred is more likely to be fair-haired, there is a possibility that he's dark-haired since his grandmother was Morwen of Lossarnarch: it's probable she was a standard-issue dark-haired, grey-eyed Gondorian Numenorean. Good point. Morwen of Lossarnach was distantly related to the Princes of Dol Amroth, who were apparently of standard Númenórean dark-haired appearance (fanon notwithstanding...) Arghhh, and now you have got me thinking about why there are apparently no blond Numenoreans/Dunedain hanging around in the third age in Tolkien, when there were definitely blond ones at the start of the Second Age, and there should surely be a reasonable number of blond descendents of the House of Hador around.... *tries to beat off research nuzgul* Yes, there should be some blond genes lurking about, especially in the aftermath of the Kin-strife in the 1400's Third Age: "After the return of Eldacar the blood of the kingly house and other houses of the Dúnedain became more mingled with that of lesser Men. For many of the great had been slain in the Kin-strife; while Eldacar showed favour to the Northmen, by whose help he had regained the crown, and the people of Gondor were replenished by great numbers that came from Rhovanion." The Return of the King, LoTR Appendix A, Annals of the Kings and Rulers: Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion - Barbara

I believe that can only be found in the first-edition Fangurl (TM) text. Rather difficult to find, actually, if you don't live in my head. Is that the edition where he and his eored are valiantly protecting the Home for Adorable Rohirric Orphans?

While Theodred is more likely to be fair-haired, there is a possibility that he's dark-haired since his grandmother was Morwen of Lossarnarch: it's probable she was a standard-issue dark-haired, grey-eyed Gondorian Numenorean. Hmmmm. I had forgotten that. So although the statistical probability is for him to be blond, dark-haired is not out of the question. Decisions, decisions. Dark-haired might be better for my purposes, actually...although the plethora of dark-hair, grey eyes makes me insane, in terms of description. Which is why I'll tend to go with movie!verse, if I'm describing characters. Thanks for the help, all! And I'm so proud that I may have loosed a research Nuzgul on someone! Er...sorry for my blatant joy, Tanaqui.

And I'm so proud that I may have loosed a research Nuzgul on someone! Er...sorry for my blatant joy, Tanaqui. Don't worry about it. Flinging Nuzgul — and cackling loudly when they get a grip — is a privilege of HASA membership. Besides, I'm hopeless at fending off research nuzgul at the best of times, let alone when they involved Gondorians. Cheers, Liz

Besides, I'm hopeless at fending off research nuzgul at the best of times, let alone when they involved Gondorians. *snicker* - Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum