Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Does this character actually exist?

Does this character actually exist?

To anyone who happens to know:

In short, somewhere, somehow, I have gained the impression that Ioreth's cousin (who she is talking to during the coronation, remember?) is called Iobeth. But then, when I was reprimaned on it (someone who thought she was Ioreth mis-spelled), I couldn't find it in ROTK at all.

Now, I'm sure this didn't come out of my head. Is it cannonical, and, if it isn't, does anyone know where I got it from?

Confusedly,

Soubrettina

Re: Does this character actually exist?

In short, somewhere, somehow, I have gained the impression that Ioreth's cousin (who she is talking to during the coronation, remember?) is called Iobeth.

No, sorry, Soubrettina, Ioreth's cousin is never named:

"'Nay, cousin! they are not boys,' said Ioreth to her kinswoman from Imloth Melui, who stood beside her. 'Those are Periain, out of the far country of the Halflings...."

The Return of the King, LoTR Book 6, Ch 5, The Steward and the King

Tanaqui (Liz) has also searched both the relevant volumes of History of Middle-earth and Tolkien's letters, and has found no sign of the name Iobeth.

So, maybe it's fanon?

- Barbara

Edit: Liz also theorizes that the prefix for names like Iorlas (Bergil's uncle) and Ioreth is Ior-, not Io- ....

Grr.

Okay so it's not a huge problem. Just find a new name for her that obviously isn't a typo, and the problem should go away...

Still wondering how the heck it got into my head in the first place, but still...

Perhaps it's the place name that confused me. I dunno.

Thanks, both of you, anyway,

Soubrettina

You're welcome!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum