Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Date of Aragorn finding the White Tree sapling - is Appendix B wrong?

Date of Aragorn finding the White Tree sapling - is Appendix B wrong?

Am slightly discombobulated to realise that I may just have found an error in Appendix B of LoTR (in my 1991 HarperCollins edition, anyway - don't know if it's been corrected in any later ones), and correspondingly in the HASA Resources entry for the date in question:

Appendix B has Aragorn and Gandalf's finding of the sapling of the White Tree on the slopes of Mount Mindolluin as being 25th June 3019.  However, this can't possibly be right, because the relevant part of the text (on the final page of The Steward and the King, page 951 in that 1991 edition) says:

"And Aragorn planted the new tree in the court by the fountain... and when the month of June entered in it was laden with blossom."

So is that date in the Appendix a misprint for 25th May? That would seem plausible - some days or weeks after the Rohirrim depart for Rohan with Elladan and Elrohir, but before Arwen arrives for the wedding. Has anyone got anything else in other editions?

In any case, maybe the entry in HASA Resources should somehow note that even though 25th June is the Appendix date, the text suggests that can't be right?...

Re: Date of Aragorn finding the White Tree sapling - is Appendix B wrong?

Hi Azalais,

My, what sharp eyes you have!

I checked my 50th anniversary editions, in which so many errors were corrected, but that particular discrepancy was left unchanged.  LoTR: A Reader's Companion, by Wayne G Hammond and Christina Scull, specifically mentions this as an error in the text, saying that the narrative makes internal sense, whereas the Tale of Years entry cannot be reconciled with the narrative.

So, I'm leaving the date unchanged in the Resource Library entry, but I think I'll add a note discussing the error.

Thank you for pointing that out!

- Barbara

Re: Date of Aragorn finding the White Tree sapling - is Appendix B wrong?

Hi Azalais,

I revised the entry to include comments about the date discrepancy from LoTR: ARC:

henneth-annun.net/resources/events_view.cfm?evid=183

- Barbara

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum