Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Eagle of the Star

Eagle of the Star

I'm looking for something on the Star in Eagle of the Star aka Thorngil.

In the appendix, it states that Aragorn was known as Throngil while he served in Gondor, because of the star he wore on his cloak. I need a little info on that.
I really can't remember if there is a refernce to it anywhere else in LotR or not. A description of sorts is really what I'm looking for, and if possible, a little on it's history, where he got it, when he got it. And was it mentioned in the scene where he meets Frodo and the others for the first time. I lent away my copy of FotR, and can't check.
If all this is very obviously mentioned somewhere in LotR, my apologies again.

Thanks!

Re: Eagle of the Star

Aragorn was known as Throngil while he served in Gondor, because of the star he wore on his cloak. [snip] I really can't remember if there is a refernce to it anywhere else in LotR or not.

Just from memory right now I can confirm that there is a reference to the star that the Dunadain wear. It's found in The Grey Company in RotK, and describes it as a rayed star. I'll have to find the quote. While it doesn't specify that this is the same as the star Throngil wore, I think that it's safe to infer that this was what Tolkien was referring to when he mentioned it.

I'm off to work right now, but I'll check back ASAP with the exact reference for you.

~Nessime

Thank you Nessime! That must be it. I have RotK with me, and I just got back home.
It does mention a star worn by the Dunadain, pinned to their left shoulder.
It also mentions a star of the North-kingdom in the Hosues of Healing, that Argorn removes and hands over to Elladan so that he can pass as simply a captain of the Rangers.

~acacia

The the cloak pin seems to be a sort of badge the Rangers wear when they don't mind people knowing what they are, (Dunedain of the North that is).

The Star Aragorn gives to Elladan is the Elendilmir, a bright Elven gem set in fillet and worn as a crown by the Northern Kings. Since Aragorn isn't pressing his claim at this time he takes it off after the battle.

The Star Aragorn gives to Elladan is the Elendilmir, a bright Elven gem set in fillet and worn as a crown by the Northern Kings. Since Aragorn isn't pressing his claim at this time he takes it off after the battle.

So, that's not what he wore as Thorongil then? Since he wasn't pressing his claim at that time either?
Any idea when he started wearing Elendilmir?

He wore that when Elladan & Elrohir brought it to him out of the north. I suspect it was a treasure kept in Imladris, along with the Sceptre of Annuminas. There is quite a bit on the Elendilmir in the section "Disaster of the Gladden Fields" in Unfinished Tales, at the very end of the story, and in end notes 31-33.

The star he wore on his cloak would have been like what the Grey Company wore:

"There was no gleam of stone or gold, nor any fair thing in all their gear and harness; nor did their riders wear any badge or token, save only that each cloak was pinned upon the left shoulder by a brooch of silver shaped like a rayed star."

RotK, The Passing of the Grey Company.

This is the star of Elendil, and a signifier of the North Kingdom. A subtle way of announcing who he was, actually.

Toodles - Ang

I knew I'd get home and find that someone else had posted the correct passage for you! That's precisely the one I had in mind.

Ang is spot on re: the Elendilmir. I found the story of how Aragorn went into Orthanc after the War of the Rings and recovered the original that was lost with Isildur after the Disaster of the Gladden Fields rather interesting. Shows just how deep Sauruman's treachery went, doesn't it?

~Nessime

Thank you so much Morwen, Ang and Nessime.

There is quite a bit on the Elendilmir in the section "Disaster of the Gladden Fields" in Unfinished Tales, at the very end of the story, and in end notes 31-33.

Oh! It's been a while since I read UT. I'll check it out.

I found the story of how Aragorn went into Orthanc after the War of the Rings and recovered the original that was lost with Isildur after the Disaster of the Gladden Fields rather interesting. Shows just how deep Sauruman's treachery went, doesn't it?

I remember aragorn finding something of worth in Orthanc, now that you mention it.

Thanks again. That was big, huge help. It's a very tiny detail, but it's one of those details that really nag

~acacia

Gondor uses the eight pointed star, but the rangers of the North do not - they use a rayed star and Foster says it is six pointed, though this summer when I was looking for info (for tattoo purposes) Jim was reading an early vol. of HoME and told me it said seven pointed.

I tried looking just now, but I only have the LoTR as a searchable database. But I have been meaning to convert the other volumes - I will try to make time to do that tonight and let you know if I find more certain description

Foster says it is six pointed, though this summer when I was looking for info (for tattoo purposes) Jim was reading an early vol. of HoME and told me it said seven pointed.

Just out of curiosity - do you know what source Foster used to reach the conclusion that it was six pointed?

~Nessime

I have not been able to find the reference - he only references LoTR and Tom Bombadil in his cites. I looked in the Bombadil - it is a small reference to watchers at the ford in a poem.

I did look in my old (1971) copy of Foster, and it says the same, so it can't be anything later than that-I am still tracking his LoTR references, but my edition(s) does not match.

Foster is not always accurate, so be careful about his claims.

Ang

My copy says 'many rayed star'. Go figure.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum