Forum: Research Questions

Discussing: Musical Instruments in Middle-Earth

Musical Instruments in Middle-Earth

Can anyone help me with the musical instruments which would have been used in Middle-Earth.

I'm guessing an electric guitar is off the list, right?

Re: Musical Instruments in Middle-Earth

"Then the voices of Ainur, like unto harps and lutes, and pipes and trumpets, and viols and organs." Ainulindale

Just a few that may help you. There were also most probably also other woodwind instruments, such as the flute, these coming under pipes

--Elithien

If you check the list of instruments that the dwarves brought to Bilbo's An Unexpected Party in The Hobbit I believe you'll find a rather extensive list. Some of them are rather anachronistic if you want a purely Medieval feel, but that was very much a part of Tolkien's style to toss in things that wouldn't normally belong in a real historic period of our world.

Here are a couple of links you may want to check out:

This one has some interesting information on serveral aspects of life in the Middle Ages and some delightful mp3 music to listen to:

Mostly Medieval - Exploring the Middle Ages

This is an essay that focuses rather narrowly on the historic music of our own Medieval times. Interesting reading, but as I noted, Tolkien wasn't a stickler for hictorical accuracy.

Music in Middle Earth

Enjoy!

~Nessime

Cool! Thanks for your help.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Research Questions

Stories linked to the forum