Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: June 2004 Birthdays - 2

June 2004 Birthdays - 2

Is this your month? Then post your theme here, we'll be watching for it!

June 2- Gwynnyd: I like pre-War Aragorn a lot. And Pippin; there's so much more to Pippin than a bumbling clown. Liz and Marta have me hooked on Faramir. And Trish keeps feeding me Legolas. Any of those alone or in combination would be lovely. I, I, I like it all! How can I choose?

*New* June 5 - Ti'ana Luthien: I'd like something happy with Boromir and Faramir together. Any period of time is fine but no slash please.

June 7 - Avon: I'd absolutely love Legolas and Aragorn friendship (not romance) but for those who find that too much of a stretch I could enjoy almost any Legolas - or Faramir and Boromir.

June 7 - Nickey: My birthday is June 7th as well, and I'd like anything hobbity, if I may? Merry in particular, I never think he gets enough attention

*New*June 7 - Beruthiel: I'd like a moment between Pippin and Diamond of Long Cleeve. It can be before or after their wedding, but preferably after.

June 13 - Lady Aranel: Legolas, Legolas, Legolas.... mmmm... Legolas. No slash please! Het. smut, non-smut, OFC all welcome.

June 26 - Rainsong: I like Celebrian and Miriel.

Re: June Babies, 2004--continued

My dial up connection and I BOTH thank you! Cheryl

Hope I'm not posting this too late. My birthday is June 7 and I'd like a moment between Pippin and Diamond of Long Cleeve. It can be before or after their wedding, but preferably after.

Ti'ana, it's a belated card (and perhaps others who enjoy Boromir and Faramir won't mind sharing a bit?), but here's a post-WoTR Faramir -Boromir. It's actually a drabble and a half. :-S Couldn't compact this sucker further, although if I think of a way, I'll post it. An Exercise in Optics (yes, it is the crappiest title ever, but the brain is stuck on some other things at the moment) The White City in her splendor gleams beneath the king's banner. Lonely had her ways been through the years of his first formation, and shadowed in the last years, when fear had lain so heavy upon them all. But now, as the widow in her weeds becomes the bride in her brilliance, so the city had cast off her former raiment and made herself anew. Walking the streets between past and present, Faramir feels his brother close, like the heat on his back, intimate as his own shadow. And despite the grief, still he is glad. For not by hands alone is Minas Tirith transformed, but eyes, too, must see as through a different glass, so that the city shall not forget her shades, nor her shades remain unchanged. For we, too, are remade after the breaking that war wreaked on stone and flesh. Walk with me, Boromir, and see!
Edit: Who here is a whiz at shrinking things? If possible, I'd like to lose fifty words from this. Anyone got any ideas which fifty? Thanks.

Beruthiel, no you're not too late. There's still some time left to June, after all. Happy belated birthday, and let's see if we can roust out some hobbit drabbles...

And lo!, with the help of B. Iris, Altariel, Erin and Raksha, it is shrunken! This marks an all time personal record for shrinking a drabble, as I've never managed to cut more than about thirty words without starting over from scratch. Kudos to all of you for stimulating the ol' cerebral cortex. There you go, Ti'ana: one drabble, Faramir and Boromir, no slash, and it's... not sad. Optics The City resplendent gleams beneath the king's banner. The widow in her weeds becomes a bride in her brilliance; Minas Tirith sheds the shroud of despair that has so long darkened her ways. Walking her ancient streets, he feels Boromir close, like the heat on his back, intimate as his own shadow. Despite grief Faramir is glad, for not by hands alone is Minas Tirith transformed, else shades linger on, dead in memory. Eyes, too, must see as through a different glass: For our fallen live now but in us. Therefore walk with me, brother—live renewed in my sight!

Gwynnyd - This didn't turn out quite how I wanted, but I promised myself I'd get started on these birthday drabbles today, so, since there's only half an hour left, here you go. A bit of pre-War Aragorn for you. Happy (very) Belated Birthday! Wanderer “He’s no Eorling, but he can ride,” Haleth admitted, watching the foreigner the King had foisted on his éored. Cenbryht bore no rider but Garmund, but the stranger’s skill was obvious as he fought to stay on the stallion. When at last he was thrown, Haleth joined the roar of approval. “Where did a Northman learn to ride like that?” “We’re not all barbarians, you know,” the newcomer replied lightly. “I had very good teachers.” There was a flicker of – something – in his eyes, but it disappeared as the men crowded around to welcome their newest brother to the éored.

There you go, Ti'ana: one drabble, Faramir and Boromir, no slash, and it's... not sad. Optics Bravissima! An absolutely beautiful drabble. Hope you will pardon me leaving the discussion early last evening but I was coming off of a horrid 40 hour bout of insominia and my thinking simply stopped.... B. Iris

Hey Wolfwind, Saw your HA posting--I do see where you might not be happy with it, although I think it's a lovely scene. And you do indicate that Aragorn isn't altogether welcome with that "foisted". I wonder if you could draw out that sense of grudging acceptance by not having Haleth join in the cheer, but have him be rather cool up until Aragorn's retort. Maybe narrowing the focus a bit, or making the reactions of the other Riders dependent on Haleth's final approval would help?

Bravissima! An absolutely beautiful drabble. Thank you! Hope you will pardon me leaving the discussion early last evening but I was coming off of a horrid 40 hour bout of insominia and my thinking simply stopped.... Understandable. I had a friend who had insomnia the last *week* of classes. Needless to say, he was not at his intellectual best...

Ti'ana Luthien - Yours turned into a double drabble, mostly because Denethor forced his way in along with his little sons. Happy Belated Birthday! Here's hoping it makes you smile. Looking for Da-da Faramir wailed, and Boromir considered joining him. Daddy had promised to have lunch with them! The nurse, frightened by the child’s tantrum, hurried out to call their mother, giving Boromir an idea. “Quiet, Farry! We’ll go find Daddy.” The tears stopped. Faramir looked up, eyes gleaming behind his tousled black hair. “Gofa Da-da, Bobo?” Boromir nodded, and the two set off. Faramir toiled manfully, eager to see his “Da-da,” but the toddler’s legs gave out about the same time Boromir realized he was lost. “Up, Bobo! Up!” However, the older brother only managed to carry him for a short time before he, too, was exhausted. “Just a short rest,” he promised. Denethor was shocked to come upon his sons sleeping in a hallway. He scowled, wondering how they had gotten there. Faramir’s eyes blinked open; a smile lit his face. “Da-da!” “See, Farry? Told you we’d find him.” “What are you doing out here?” the Steward demanded, lifting the toddler to his hip and holding out a hand to his oldest. “Gofa Da-da!” “We were looking for you, Daddy. We missed you.” Even as Denethor prepared a lecture, he couldn’t help smiling at the guileless words. Looking for you, Daddy… Dwim, thanks for the advice! Something to ponder during work tomorrow...

Nickey, this one's for you. Happy belated birthday. And Berúthiel, I don't think this really satisfies Diamond and Pippin having a "moment" together, but they do get a mention. Changes The Party Tree was alive with lights. Dancers swirled and the guests laughed over their plates. No fireworks this time, Merry thought, feeling a touch of sadness. No wizard. No Frodo. Everything was different, yet the Shire seemed unchanged. Or was that true? For there was Sam, the blushing new-made mayor. And the new Party Tree had gold leaves. And then, Merry thought, smiling suddenly, there was the greatest proof of the world's changing. For Peregrine Took, who'd never seemed likely to settle, had eyes only for Diamond as they danced alone. "No more changes for the worst," Merry murmured.

Happy belated birthday, Gwynnyd. Naturally it's pre-WoTR Aragorn. Time in the Ditch[1] "There are no rooms here," the innkeep had said, and closed the door. And so Aragorn had departed, and found a place beyond the walls, beneath a little rise. And as he lay on his back, gazing tiredly up at the sky, he thought of a long ago evening. "Weary of ditches?" Gandalf had replied to a young man's querulous question. "Yes, of course. But they have their advantages." Aragorn smiled to himself. Through years and far lands, he had sought them, and finally discovered one: Time in the ditch was dark, but at least the stars shone clearest there. ***** [1] Titular phrase ripped off from John McCumber's book, "Time in the Ditch". He ripped it off from the story of Thales. So I don't feel quite so terrible.

Time in the ditch was dark, but at least the stars shone clearest there. Ooohhh. Talk about bittersweet! I am consumed with envy at your ability to come up with these miniature gems... cheers, Maya

Two belated June presents

For Nickey and Rainsong. Merry first. (Title suggestions gratefully accepted.) Merry trailed aimlessly about. Everyone was terribly busy preparing for Theoden's funeral; he alone was at loose ends, an esquire with no king to attend. A man stumbled over Merry as the hobbit abruptly turned; a grip on his shoulder saved both from falling. "Your pardon, Master Bag. I see you have returned to trip me up once more." "Marshall Elfhelm! I feel more like an unwanted parcel than ever," Merry admitted. "I have nothing to do until the funeral." The Rider bowed. "Perhaps you would ride out with me, and talk of Theoden King with another who served him." And now, a Celebrian drabble featuring Elrond, for Rainsong. Overheard at a Wedding "Truly a queen, this one; like Celeborn in seeming, but in all else as imperious as her mother." "A delightful conceit, to dress Elrond in silver and Celebrian in black." Mirror images of ebony and mithril, the couple dances in the centre of the Hall of Fire, at the centre of all gazes. Jet beads are woven into Celebrian's silver plaits, while Elrond's black hair is held back with mithril clasps. "They say she led him a merry chase – would not agree to his suit until he'd bested her in archery." "I'll wager any child of these two is strong-willed."

Happy Belated Birthday to Avon! Enjoy! Indisposed A barrage of little green apples woke Elessar from his peaceful nap in the Ithilien courtyard. With a yelp, he struggled to his feet. A merry laugh above him revealed his attacker’s identity and location. Scooping up one of the fruits, he spun to hurl it back at Legolas. The elf side-stepped on the branch and reached out deftly to catch the projectile. “Show-off.” But Aragorn laughed along with his friend. Arwen, watching the ensuing battle from her window, smiled as well. Then she turned back to Faramir. “We will have to begin without the King. He is … indisposed.”

Re: Two belated June presents

Thank you so much for yet ANOTHER birthday drabble - I'm feeling so loved. Nickey

Another astral twin - my, people were busy on June 7th, weren't they? Present for you Beruthiel, although my muse didn't exactly give me Pippin and Diamond, she's sort of implied. Happy Birthday! Nickey Reluctance “Let’s go home, Merry.” “What? The party’s only just starting. Why on earth do you want to leave?” Pippin dug his toes into the turf, hunched his shoulders, and looked faintly hunted. The bonfire was just starting to really catch, and by it’s dim light Merry could see Pip glance over at the family tables. “It’s Mum. She wants me to meet someone.” Merry laughed as he watched Pippin squirm. “One day, Pip, you’ll want to meet someone.” “Ugh. Lasses, all prim about their hair and dresses? No thank you!” “Oh, I think you’ll change your mind, Pip. One day.”

Happy Birthday, Beruthiel! Here's a bit of Pippin and Diamond for you. I didn't expect it, but this is what the muse came up with. Hope you like it. The Announcement “You’ll make a wonderful father, Peregrin Took,” Diamond told her husband, watching him play with her sister's youngest child. “I hope so,” he replied absently as the tot ran off. Then the significance of her statement registered. “You mean …” She nodded, blushing. “Really?” His voice cracked. She nodded again, knowing that a foolish grin was spreading across her face but not caring. Pippin let out a whoop, as if he were still the tween she’d fallen in love with. Then he swept her into an embrace. Just as suddenly, he released her and shouted, “I’m going to be a father!”

Maya said: Ooohhh. Talk about bittersweet! I am consumed with envy at your ability to come up with these miniature gems... Thanks, Maya! Glad you liked it. And Wolfwind, another fun Aragorn drabble. Although, I do wonder what Faramir will say when he runs into the king picking apple bits out of his hair... It looks like the end of the month is bringing a spate of drabbles. I hope it continues!

Overheard at a Wedding "Truly a queen, this one; like Celeborn in seeming, but in all else as imperious as her mother." "A delightful conceit, to dress Elrond in silver and Celebrian in black." Mirror images of ebony and mithril, the couple dances in the centre of the Hall of Fire, at the centre of all gazes. Jet beads are woven into Celebrian's silver plaits, while Elrond's black hair is held back with mithril clasps. "They say she led him a merry chase – would not agree to his suit until he'd bested her in archery." "I'll wager any child of these two is strong-willed." Thank you so much! That was a beautiful drabble.

Sorry yours got delayed, Nickey. I had one in mind from the Fellowship, but my copy is currently buried in a sealed box under several other boxes, and I couldn't dig it out (never let anyone convince you to pack early and live out of boxes). So this one is after the War. I hope you enjoy it! The Truth “No man may hinder me!” “I am no man!” Sticks clacked together several times before another voice interrupted. “Goldi, Éowyn’s supposed to fall!” “She does not!” “Does so! That’s when Sir Meriadoc saves her!” Faramir saw a solution. “Uncle Merry! Who’s right?” Merry didn’t respond. He was lost in the memories of that fateful day: the sickening terror the Witch-King inspired, the grief, the certainty of death. “Uncle Merry?” Pippin’s voice drew him back. “Tell us the truth!” “The truth?” He forced a smile. Had you any idea, you would never ask. “Well, I’ll tell you part of the story.” Dwim, I'm glad you thought it was fun! I think Faramir just gives his King a Look - and Elessar starts babbling excuses about "I wanted to come to the meeting, but Legolas villainously attacked me and held me prisoner in an apple tree." BTW, I loved "Time in the Ditch" - it made me laugh, because I can just picture a younger, annoyed Aragorn asking Gandalf that question, and Gandalf's answer. And that last line! Wow! The spate of drabbles will continue, on my part, for two more days - I've got to get Lady Aranel's and Rainsong's done. Then it's on to July! *rubs hands together in anticipation*

Hey, Nickey & Rainsong, glad you liked your drabbles. (Any title suggestions, Nickey?) And Dwim, Time in the Ditch is lovely. A wonderful look at the side of Ragorn - seedy and disreputable - that we don't see much after Bree.

Replying to Wolfwind: “The truth?” He forced a smile. Had you any idea, you would never ask. “Well, I’ll tell you part of the story.” Great line, Wolfwind. I think this is very much true to life, and it brings to mind some of my favorite Tolkien fanfic stories. Dwim, I'm glad you thought it was fun! I think Faramir just gives his King a Look - and Elessar starts babbling excuses about "I wanted to come to the meeting, but Legolas villainously attacked me and held me prisoner in an apple tree." I can just see it. Faramir, leveling the infamous Denethorean stare of Disapproval at his monarch... BTW, I loved "Time in the Ditch" - it made me laugh, because I can just picture a younger, annoyed Aragorn asking Gandalf that question, and Gandalf's answer. And that last line! Wow! I'm glad it made you laugh. Gotta give Aragorn a robust sense of self and evolution, I think. What can I say? "Time in the Ditch" is just a great, for me heart-wrenching, book, and the original story is quite ironic. It just suited a self-reflective Aragorn so well I couldn't resist it. The spate of drabbles will continue, on my part, for two more days - I've got to get Lady Aranel's and Rainsong's done. Then it's on to July! *rubs hands together in anticipation* Excellent. I look forward to reading them! Replying to Forodwaith: And Dwim, Time in the Ditch is lovely. A wonderful look at the side of Ragorn - seedy and disreputable - that we don't see much after Bree. Thanks, Forodwaith! I had a lot of fun with it, and I do like to take a look at the fact that Rangers like Aragorn were very much outside of the bounds of civil society so far as most people were concerned. And so they both looked and acted the part, to a certain extent.

June 5 - Ti'ana Luthien: I'd like something happy with Boromir and Faramir together. Any period of time is fine but no slash please. This is very, very late. I actually didn't plan to write a drabble, but this fluffy nuzgûl hijacked me half an hour ago while catching up on a week's worth of HA-posts and reading an exchange of Dwim & Marta about *happy* Boromir-Faramir interaction. Ti'ana, a late birthday gift and good wishes to you! Imhiriel Midsummer Fair The older boy points with sticky-looking finger at my stand. The nurse, carrying the younger one, looks harried in the press of Midsummer Fair. “Yes, Boromir, it’s a nice cake, but you already had one.” “Faramir wants one, too, don’t you?” The little one nodds, a smile lighting up his earnest face. “I don’t think Faramir is quite old enough to…” begins the nurse, but relents as Boromir looks beseechingly at her. “All right: one piece. You may finish what Faramir can’t manage.” Both boys direct identical, incandescent smiles at their nurse and me, easing the strain of the day.

I seem to have a thing about father-child interactions lately; I don't know, maybe it was because Father's Day was this month. Whatever the reason, both Lady Aranel and Rainsong get drabbles about their characters with their fathers. Lady Aranel, I don't know much about growing up a elf prince in Mirkwood, but this scenario has got to be common to all youngsters living near a forest: Not Again! “Legolas!” The King’s welcoming smile faded as he took in his son’s tattered sleeves, the blood on his hands, and the box he carried. “Not another one!” “It’s a fox, and she’s hurt real bad, Father,” the young Elf said earnestly. “Legolas, this is the fifth creature this month! Where do you find them?” “Around.” The boy shrugged. “It’s her leg, Father – you can fix it, right?” “Legolas…” Thranduil let the word trail off. How did one rebuke a child for caring about animals – especially one who looked as endearing as his young son? “Very well. Let me see her.” Rainsong, this is based off of a passage in UT: "Galadriel thereupon left Eregion and passed through Khazad-dum into Lorinand, taking with her Amroth and Celebrian; but Celeborn would not enter the mansions of the Dwarves, and he remained behind in Eregion." I know Tolkien changed his mind a lot about Galadriel's history, so for the sake of this drabble just accept that event as accurate, if you don't mind? Never Doubt “I don’t want to go!” Celebrían clung to her father. “But you must. Your mother is right; it is not safe here.” “Then come with us! Please, Father!” He stiffened. “You know not what you ask. I cannot.” “I will miss you so much!” “And I shall miss you. But fear not; we will meet again.” She drew back. “You cannot know that!” “But I do.” His eyes held hers. “It is as sure as my love for you. Never doubt that, Celebrían.” She stared back, as if to engrave his features in her heart. “I will not,” she vowed. Erm... You weren't hoping for *happy* Celebrian, were you? Sorry, if you were... Yay, I achieved my goal of doing all the June drabbles before the end of the month, with about an hour and forty-five minutes to spare! Go me! ~Wolfwind

Never Doubt “I don’t want to go!” Celebrían clung to her father. “But you must. Your mother is right; it is not safe here.” “Then come with us! Please, Father!” He stiffened. “You know not what you ask. I cannot.” “I will miss you so much!” “And I shall miss you. But fear not; we will meet again.” She drew back. “You cannot know that!” “But I do.” His eyes held hers. “It is as sure as my love for you. Never doubt that, Celebrían.” She stared back, as if to engrave his features in her heart. “I will not,” she vowed. Erm... You weren't hoping for *happy* Celebrian, were you? Sorry, if you were... Yay, I achieved my goal of doing all the June drabbles before the end of the month, with about an hour and forty-five minutes to spare! Go me! ~Wolfwind Thanks, Wolfwind! That was beautiful, and very entertaining.

Long, long ago in the first June Babies thread (and in June!) I said to Lady Aranel: I'm going to try to manage some Legolas romance in 100 words for your birthday... and here we are ten days into July. I had the idea, but it took a long time to crystallise it into 100 words (how do you get a Legolas romance from a standing start, given that you have nothing to work with in canon, to anywhere at all in 100 words?) So a very very late birthday present, but nonetheless heartfelt: Seasong "What's her name?" Legolas, turning a seashell over in long fingers, continued gazing rapt at the little group of musicians entertaining the company as they picknicked on the shores of Valinor. Gimli, exasperated, repeated his question with a dig to the ribs. "Name?...Whose?..." The Dwarf snorted. "That black-haired Teler harpist you've had your eyes fixed on all evening, of course." He suppressed a smile. Legolas had lost Aragorn, Arwen, would one day lose even Gimli; he deserved love and companionship that would endure. "I know not." Legolas rose with sudden, graceful determination. "But I intend to find out."

Rainsong, a Celebrian drabble for you. Sorry this is so late, but I'm just back from vacation. Kindred Spirits Amidst the floods of joy and sorrow of my reunion with Elrond, I barely noticed the little stranger. But later we were introduced. Oh, how I recognized the pain I saw in him! Here was another who had fled a life grown unbearable. Another with pain too deep for surcease. I knelt before him, our eyes level. “Welcome,” I told him. “You and I both know the bitterness of the Shadow. But there is healing here. I have found it.” He returned my gaze, and saw the memory of living death, in my living soul. And he began to hope. Elana

This would be for Avon, who wanted Aragorn-Legolas friendship. It may also please the romantics. Among Friends "Has she a name?" Aragorn interrupted. "I'm sorry?" Legolas asked, and the king began ticking points off on his fingers. "You've said this hour she is beyond fair, beyond brave, beyond compare, beyond poetry—despite your versifying—so I ask: has she a name, this paragon of virtue?" Legolas' eyes narrowed at the other's smile. "Need I ask the queen—?" Aragorn retreated laughingly. "Not at all!" "Good. Tireniel she is called." Aragorn made a polite noise. "What?" "Nothing." A beat. "And Gimli's opinion?" "She likes his etchings." Aragorn considered this, then clapped Legolas's shoulder, and, grinning, said, "Good luck!"

I quite enjoyed, "Seasong", "Not Again!" and "Among Friends", thank you all! (even though Among Friends was not meant for me, I quite enjoyed it nonetheless!)I've listed them all on my website. Please let me know if any of you does not want it listed there! Garden Of Ithilien is where you can find them. I'm sad to see the month of June end! But I have to get busy for July as I see several of the July babies are friends!!! Thanks again for this wonderful month... EVERYONE! ~Lady Aranel~

Re: Thank you, Dwim

Ooh, thank you! That's very nice. I like to think of them getting to have some happy times after everything. Avon *happy Legolas-fangirl*

I find it admirable how you managed to lose those many words and yet keep so much of the content of the story, even more distilling it and make it more poignant. "There are no rooms here," the innkeep had said, and closed the door. And so Aragorn had departed, and found a place beyond the walls, beneath a little rise. Maybe that's a bit silly, but this passage reminded me strongly of the story of Mary and Joseph being refused at every door in Bethlehem... Imhiriel

He returned my gaze, and saw the memory of living death, in my living soul. And he began to hope. Oh, that was so wonderful! I never thought about the parallels between those two before, and you have marvelously shown them. I really had to compose myself before I was able to write, I cried so hard. Imhiriel

You're welcome, Avon!

Ooh, thank you! That's very nice. I like to think of them getting to have some happy times after everything. Avon *happy Legolas-fangirl* I'm glad you liked it. It's a nice change, to have Aragorn and Legolas in a playful mood! But I must say, Az had it right: how on earth do you start from *nothing* and convincingly show romance in just 100 words? (BTW, Az, very nice! Seems as though our thoughts ran on parallel tracks in terms of set up.)

Hi Imhiriel! I find it admirable how you managed to lose those many words and yet keep so much of the content of the story, even more distilling it and make it more poignant. Thanks! *bows to her helpers for "Optics"* I was really surprised, too, that I was able to cut so much. I also think it is a bit tighter. [snip opening lines of "Time in the Ditch" drabble] Maybe that's a bit silly, but this passage reminded me strongly of the story of Mary and Joseph being refused at every door in Bethlehem... Yeah, I had a moment, before posting "Time in the Ditch", when I wondered whether that would strike readers as an over the top allusion. In point of fact, it wasn't a deliberate allusion, just an inevitable connotation, given the phrasing and situation.

I really had to compose myself before I was able to write, I cried so hard. Wow, what a compliment! Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Elana

An extremely belated happy birthday to Rainsong

This is also a belated birthday present for Marta, which I'll have to post in the July babies thread too. Reunion The moment Elrond saw her he threw himself into her arms and held on tight. He reminded himself of her touch and her scent, but most of all that she was there and she was whole again. He never wanted to let go but had to pull back to better remember her kiss, finding his memory a pale comparison to reality. He fortified himself with the look in her eyes directed at him and knew he could deny it no longer and would had to face reality. Taking a deep breath he said, "I have to tell you about Arwen." Nic

Hey guys..I realize it's August so I'm sorry to be bumping this *sheepish*, but I wasn't around much for a while and I just read my birthday drabbles so I wanted to say a very warm "Thank you" to Dwim, Wolfwind & Imhiriel (and anyone I missed ) for writing me such delightful Faramir/Boromir drabbles. They made me smile. ~Ti'ana

June 13 - Lady Aranel: Legolas, Legolas, Legolas.... mmmm... Legolas. No slash please! Het. smut, non-smut, OFC all welcome. Given that it's about an elf, am I justified in being so late with this? Probably not. I hope you like it. This is Hobbit-inspired, btw. Mercy ***** "Daro!" Legolas cried into the night air. The shuffling sound of heavy boots on fallen leaves stopped. "Nock your arrows," he whispered to the other elves, reaching into his own quiver and fitting a well-crafted feather to his bowstring. "What business have you in Greenwood?" he demanded, stepping into the clearing. Never had he imagined he'd face twelve half-starved dwarves, huddling together. Yet there they were. The one in the tattered blue hood looked at him, the muddling effect of spiders' venom clear in his eyes. "Easy," Legolas said to the guard beside him. "Tie their hands tightly - but not cruelly."

I'm glad I've got e-mail alerts for this thread - or I'd have missed it. A very nice take on The Hobbit - I think Legolas must surely have been there at some stage. Jay

Mercy ***** "Daro!" Legolas cried into the night air. The shuffling sound of heavy boots on fallen leaves stopped. This was wonderful! I love the idea of Legolas being actively involved in the events occurring in Mirkwood during the Hobbit. Kudos! Vistula

I'm glad I've got e-mail alerts for this thread - or I'd have missed it. I'm glad you caught it. I wish I could have had it out closer to Lady Aranel's birthday, but unfortunately I have no elf muse (*gasp* I know!) But Lady Aranel is helping me to appreciate them. Besides, I had and have some very serious RL junk that is keeping me from writing as much as I liked. A very nice take on The Hobbit - I think Legolas must surely have been there at some stage. Oh, yes. But we shan't awaken that muse... I have an idea for a vignette with him and Bilbo meeting up in Rivendell just pre-Council of Elrond, drawing on some interactions between them in The Hobbit. But I have many, many more stories to write these days, and my muse seems to have acquired a definite Gondorian bent. Marta

This was wonderful! I love the idea of Legolas being actively involved in the events occurring in Mirkwood during the Hobbit. Oh, so do I. I know he's never mentioned, but I see so many places where he could have been involved. I think that Legolas' friendship with Gimli shows he was capable of being open-minded, and that didn't just start in LotR. If he was involved in the events of The Hobbit, I think he might have had a bit of a soft spot for the dwarves. Not so much that he neglected his duties, but enough that he might feel sorry for them. I also love the descriptions of Thranduil in The Hobbit. They really remind me of Celeborn, and I think he was basically fair and a good ruler. He may not have been as polished and suave as one of the High Elves like Elrond, but he was great in his own way. And I think that would have rubbed off on Legolas. Marta

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum