Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2004 Birthdays - 1

July 2004 Birthdays - 1

Got a birthday theme request? Post it here!

July 4—melian elven: in honor of my namesake, i'd love to read something with melian in it, especially her relationship with her daughter luthien. i've often wondered how she would've been as a mother to the most beautiful being on middle earth.

July 6—Vulgarweed: What's a "normal" "day" in the life like for Yavanna, or Tulkas, or Melian, or Olorin? Does Aule ever want to pitch his tools out the "window"? What about the Brothers M and the first and worst case of sibling rivalry EVAH? Or that weird trio of the waters?

Of course, Istari and Balrogs count. (And what is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Is he one? What about Ungoliant?)

Reverence and irreverence both welcome. And erotica, too (het or slash or both); bonus points for integration with matters theological.

Note: I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of the month and don't know how regular my internet access will be (probably not very), so late is especially OK and feedback may not be instantaneous and I apologize in advance for that.

July 12—Marta: I want something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better.

Failing that, I will be predictable. I also wouldn't say no to something involving pre-Ring War Denethor.

July 21—Aramel: In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship.

Or if that's a bit hard, an Éowyn fic would be highly appreciated too.

July 22—RubyGamgee: I request Samwise. If you can deliver him, I will be more than just glad. I will be a pleased person, a delighted daydreamer, a giddy girl and a very happy hobbit lover!

July 24—ErinRua: I would be ever so pleased if someone would drabble - not to be entirely predictable - Eomer and/or Faramir. Both of them together would be very especially wonderful, as I find them an interesting pair of brothers-in-law. You know you want to. No slash, please.

July 27—AfterEver: I've been feeling uncharacteristically romantic, and pondering the 'love at first sight' phenomenon in M-e. Happened to Thingol and Melian, Elrond and Celebrian, Aragorn and Arwen (well, first sight for him, more like the second for her), to name a few.

So, I'd humbly request drabbles depicting these beloved couples falling in love at first sight, if anyone is inclined. Eroticism is not required, but far be it for me to complain.

July 27—New—Alawa: I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession

July 30—Sigil Galen: If anyone would take the time to write something featuring predominantly Eomer and Legolas, I'd just be PICKLED TINK! Failing that, something with Beleg (Cuthalion, that is) would be unutterably wonderful. Just the thought makes me happy

Re: July Babies

My birthday is July 12, and I want somethingin some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better. Failing that, I will be predictable. I also wouldn't say no to something involving pre-Ring War Denethor. Marta

July 22nd is my natal day and I request Samwise. If you can deliver him, I will be more than just glad. I will be a pleased person, a delighted daydreamer, a giddy girl and a very happy hobbit lover!

July 24th is my birthday. I would be ever so pleased if someone would drabble - not to be entirely predictable - Eomer and/or Faramir. Both of them together would be very especially wonderful, as I find them an interesting pair of brothers-in-law. You know you want to. No slash, please. Cheers ~ Erin

My birthday is July 6. This really really depresses me because I share that day with, of all people, the current President of my country, of whom I am very very very very very very very very very very very very very much not a fan. Please, cheer me up! I'd like drabbles about the Ainur: any Maia(r) or Vala(r). What's a "normal" "day" in the life like for Yavanna, or Tulkas, or Melian, or Olorin? Does Aule ever want to pitch his tools out the "window"? What about the Brothers M and the first and worst case of sibling rivalry EVAH? Or that weird trio of the waters? Of course, Istari and Balrogs count. (And what is Tom Bombadil, anyway? Is he one? What about Ungoliant?) Reverence and irreverence both welcome. And erotica, too (het or slash or both); bonus points for integration with matters theological. Note: I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of the month and don't know how regular my internet access will be (probably not very), so late is especially OK and feedback may not be instantaneous and I apologize in advance for that.

July 27 here (so they tell me; for my part I was out of sorts). I've been feeling uncharacteristically romantic, and pondering the 'love at first sight' phenomenon in M-e. Happened to Thingol and Melian, Elrond and Celebrian, Aragorn and Arwen (well, first sight for him, more like the second for her), to name a few. So, I'd humbly request drabbles depicting these beloved couples falling in love at first sight, if anyone is inclined. Eroticism is not required, but far be it for me to complain. ;-D -AE

my birthday is july 4. in honor of my namesake, i'd love to read something with melian in it, especially her relationship with her daughter luthien. i've often wondered how she would've been as a mother to the most beautiful being on middle earth.

July 21 is mine! In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship. Or if that's a bit hard, an Éowyn fic would be highly appreciated too.

July 30 - Sigil Galen here and if anyone would take the time to write something featuring predominantly Eomer and Legolas, I'd just be PICKLED TINK! A short conversation, a drabble, a 75-chapter epic etc. Hey, you've got a month, right? Failing that, something with Beleg (Cuthalion, that is) would be unutterably wonderful. Just the thought makes me happy.

Two more July babies. *rubs hands together* All right! Just a quick clarification, though: the concept of the birthday card forum is to create drabbles. Not that someone (like Avon!) might not have a muse run away with her and pump out a vignette or something longer, but the aim is for drabbles. I just wanted to explain my editing of your request, S.G., and avoid any disappointment that might arise from confusion over how the forum works. And having dispensed with that bit of business... let the July drabbles begin!

Ooh, now I've had time to look some of these look quite do-able... and I'm about to start two weeks holidays! Avon

For Aramel: July 21 is mine! In Singapore, where I stayed for a time, July 21 was racial harmony day. Thus, I humbly ask for something about Legolas and Gimli and their friendship.
‘Elvellon’
“Father? This is Gimli.” In the silence that follows, I ponder our friendship. A friendship that transcends the ancient enmities between our peoples, friendship that perplexes many. Perhaps the first seeds were sown long ago, at Erebor. I learned then that your folk were not the cowardly Naugrim of legend, but stout and valiant warriors. On the Quest I came to know more of you; and with knowledge came acceptance. With acceptance came friendship, growing to the sort of friendship I have been blessed with before, but never thought to find again. My father smiles, and bows. “Welcome, Gimli Elvellon.” Jay

Happy Birthday Marta! I know this is early, but, as the expression goes, other tasks do call me. My very first fic, and many thanks to Lindorien for her encouraging words. Not One Word Skilled she was with pen, and ink, and all her drafter’s tools. When the Master of the Works sought to build a new bridge or aqueduct, to craft a change to a watercourse or road, he needed only to describe it to her in the briefest of terms, and her gift would bring the vision to life. When she heard that Gimli son of Gloin had left the Lonely Mountain, bound for Imladris, she sketched him quickly, before the memory should fade. It was her first drawing of a living creature, and she kept it with her always, in secret. For not all the women take husbands: some desire none; some desire one that they cannot get, and so will have no other. (Appendix A – III, Durin’s Folk)

I know this is early, but, as the expression goes, other tasks do call me. My very first fic, and many thanks to Lindorien for her encouraging words. Oooh! oooh! Not only a dwarf drabble, but a dwarf woman drabble. I really like this, Ann. You are convinced to just make my day altogether rosy, aren't you? I especially liked: It was her first drawing of a living creature, and she kept it with her always, in secret. Again, thanks Ann. This was lovely. Marta

Re: Ann

Congrats on your first ever fic! It was a pleasantly original apporach to take, too. Avon

A drabble for Vulgarweed

Happy (somewhat early) birthday, Vulgarweed! I hope this will help cheer you up. Interminable In that one moment, he had glimpsed the possibility of ceaseless novelty, of ecstatic drama fit to empty oneself for. The promise of all, and all within his grasp would he but bend his will toward it for an instant of that which made and was novelty, time. Time. Gravity without grace. That ill-marked instant begat all others–presence unending of the unbearable. He hated the light as he hated the darkness for the truth that composed him. Thus each day dawned the same–a mockery of eternal constancy, that said only and forever: I defy, else I am not! ***** P.S. Everyone, I've already set up a July chapter in HA Writers, so you can post your work there whenever you like.

Happy early birthday, melian elven! I know if I wait to post this on the day, I'll forget. So here's my two cents' worth: mothering the most beautiful being on Middle-eath can't be all that different from any other girl! Enjoy! Personal Grooming Melian imbued her voice with warm excitement. “Luthien! It’s bath time!” The child responded as she had for the past month: by running. This time, Melian was prepared to catch her. “Nonononono!” the girl wailed. Coming back to the present, Melian sighs and tells herself firmly that she does not wish to return to those days. Instead, she raises her voice. “Luthien!” she calls for the fifth time. “Get out of the bath this instant, young lady! The guests will be arriving at any moment!” “But Mother!” comes the answering wail. “I haven’t finished my hair!”

Happy birthday, melian! I hope you don't mind that Lúthien is merely the glimmer in Melian's eye in this drabble. Likewise, I hope you don't mind a little free speculation that probably goes into the AU side of things. Grace There comes a time when the body is no longer free adornment, worn or discarded at will. The horizon tips, and what had been mere surrounding becomes self's substance. Melian, who has stitched time and trees, now feels for the first time that earthly matter makes its own sense beyond the power of will. This child weighs within her, binding her to bones she'd fashioned for herself and for Thingol. For Thingol, who was born to this strangely happy bondage. 'Tis a dear gift. To be divested of flesh would be... to die. A dear gift to share in, indeed.

this is a precious little gem! girls will be girls will be girls, eh? thank you, wolfwind!

how heart-wrenchingly lovely! thank you for this "dear gift"!

You're welcome, melian. I'm glad you enjoyed it and I hope you had a happy birthday.

For Vulgarweed

I'd like drabbles about the Ainur: any Maia(r) or Vala(r). That's really outside my writing area of even vague competence, I'm afraid, but I do have some fairly limp Aule to offer. Children of Aulë Strong you will be, strong and unyielding: strong in friendship and in muscles. Strong you will need to be: strong enough to work alongside me with metal, fire and stone: strong enough to face the power of Melkor. Loyal I will make you too, and hardy, for you are my children and I would have you live long lives and love truly. You will toil without tiring, just as I do: and I will teach you all my skills and crafts. Together we will make this land more beauteous than ever was – but first I must create you, my children. Avon

Re: July Babies, 2004

My birthday is also on the 27th AfterEver. I’d love to have something Aragorn and Halbarad – or Aragorn and Denether – or something to feed my pyre and beacon obsession Cheers, Alawa

Happy Birthday, Marta! This is early, because I might not be able to get online on 12 July. (I cheated: can't seem to write 100 word pieces, so I excerpted this from an unfinished story.) The young man watched for his master’s verdict with nervous anticipation. A labour of love and hope, to put into this last piece every ounce of craftsmanship he had learned: he, the first of the men of Dale to seek the fabled lore of the Dwarves since the return of the King under the Mountain. Three years of toil beneath the Lonely Mountain: now he would hear their worth. “Good,” the ancient dwarf pronounced. “You have learned well, young Barding. Apprentice no longer: Toymaker of Dale I name you.” He put down the toy thrush, perfect in every detail. Turning the key in its side made the wings flutter and the beak sing. “A fitting gift for the young cousin of Master Bilbo Baggins, surely.”

I'm new to this, but I love the idea of "birthday cards." This is my first-ever drabble, and it's for ErinRua, with whom I share a penchant for both the Prince of Ithilien and the King of Rohan. Happy Birthday! Through River and Meadow In landlocked Edoras I cannot escape that watery memory: the spectral boat, carrying its silent lament down the Anduin. Harder still, that vessel brought an emptiness that not even my betrothed fills completely. Alone outside, I watch the sea of grass ripple. An unexpected hand grips my shoulder—the tall young king I have scarcely met. “Come.” He, too, has brooded; he knows the sorrows of the earth, crimson stains on golden fields. “Keep company with us, friend.” A slow smile comes to me. Nothing and no-one can replace Boromir; still, I will not be bereft of brothers.

Re: July Babies - for ErinRua

You know you want to. Well, yeah. I want to. Thanks for the excuse. Hope you enjoy your present. Fireside Reflections A king sits deep in my armchair by the fire, glass of wine forgotten. He speaks of the exultation of the sword and he gleams golden and red in the flames’ light. He tells of far countries and strange peoples; the sorrow of those who fight and die and the joy when some twist of fate brings them as friends to his side. “Do you never envy the camaraderie of the field when Elessar and I ride to war, Faramir?” I touch the calluses on my fingers, from pen and not bow. Ithilien is green and whole. Gondor prospers. “No.” Happy birthday, Erin! Gwynnyd

I'm new to this, but I love the idea of "birthday cards." This is my first-ever drabble, and it's for ErinRua, with whom I share a penchant for both the Prince of Ithilien and the King of Rohan. Happy Birthday! Through River and Meadow Oh my ... I am such a sap. *sniffle* Aliana, this is perfect. This is beautiful. Thank you for letting me have the honor of your first-ever drabble, and thank you for such a lovely gift. I am going to save this, you know - it's simply a perfect moment between men who will soon learn to be brothers. *happy sighh* How wonderful that my request inspired this! Gratefully yours, Erin

Re: July Babies - for ErinRua

Thanks for the excuse. Hope you enjoy your present. Fireside Reflections Oh, Gwynnyd! I do like what people are doing with my favorite lads! This is wonderful and gorgeous. I love the imagery, of Eomer seen as fire and strength, and yet Faramir's peace is in rebuilding what war had laid waste. What a splendid gift this is! Yes, I am definitely enjoying my present! Gratefully yours, Erin

Re: July Babies - for Marta

Marta asked for something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better. Privately, she told me this was a favourite dwarf moment. It took me a long time to get this one to work, but I hope she likes it. From the Eastern Force. They are grim-faced, but we welcome them as comrades, for their hearts are true. Their reach is short but their blows fall heavy on our foes. Like the stones some say they spring from, they were made to endure. Yet their grief for the Fallen is no less than ours. The Worm, deep-wounded by Naugrim knife, flees the field, and the beasts of Angband follow. We shout our joy. Yet they mark it not. We see them leave, bearing their lord: steps slow; voices deep; mourning, unmindful as the battle rages still. Their hearts are spent, now weep we all. Happy Birthday, Marta! Cheers, Liz

Re: July Babies/Happy Birthday AE

After Ever requested 'love at first sight' Ever After Gone are they all, Legolas thought as he drank deeper from the cup. In Valinor, he was alone in his grief: lover of earth and mortal beings whose flame burnt bright and faded too quickly. The music played around the fire did naught to lift his spirit. And then he heard her. A voice both sweet and sad touched him. He lifted his eyes; her black hair flowed as she danced. Her form and song both spoke to him of sorrow, and yet also of life renewed. As he listened, his heart began to fill with something altogether different. Love. Happy Birthday, AE! ~Lady Aranel~

Happy birthday, Marta! Diaspora It was a meticulous affair—naturally, for they were Dwarves. All filed orderly over the bridge, through the last halls, becoming a patient throng above Kheled-zâram. And as rank upon rank joined their fellows, they turned their faces West, and waited. Finally, with the last of his guard and the much diminished company of those valiant wrights who had sealed their foe within, Thráin appeared at the gates. Thereupon, Dúrin's Heir spoke: "Weep not! The ends of the earth are our destiny, but Khazad-dûm our heart. We leave the way open for return." Unbowed, they began the long march East.

Happy Birthday, Marta! This is early, because I might not be able to get online on 12 July. (I cheated: can't seem to write 100 word pieces, so I excerpted this from an unfinished story.) Nicely done, Maia. It's a wonderful excerpt... and I look forward to reading the whole thing. Thanks. Marta

Wonderful, Liz. This is one of my favourite dwarf moments, and you've really done it justice. Their reach is short but their blows fall heavy on our foes. Like the stones some say they spring from, they were made to endure. I love this line especially because it really gets at the heart of what it means to be a dwarf, at least IMHO. It's very touching that an outsider should see their worth, when dwarves are so often misunderstood. We see them leave, bearing their lord: steps slow; voices deep; mourning, unmindful as the battle rages still. And this line, too. It's perfect. Marta

Marta said: I also wouldn't say no to something involving pre-Ring War Denethor. Victory Victory! The fleet is burnt. The old enemy is defeated. Loud in the streets the people sound the name of the great captain who has wrought this triumph. Yet he is not here to hear their praise. Other tasks now call me, lord, and much time and many perils must pass, ere I come again to Gondor, if that be my fate. The steward’s son listens to the message and bows his head. Where has he gone? What other tasks outweigh needs of Gondor? What perils does he face? When will he return? May fate be kind indeed! he thinks. Happy Birthday, again! Cheers, Liz

Marta asked for something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. Here's a double drabble for you, Marta. Have a happy day! =========== "Gloin!" An unfamiliar voice echoed through the hall of the Lonely Mountain. Gloin looked up from his desk to see the door to his study thrown open by Thranduil Orophinion. The elvenkings’s face was a shade of red Gloin had seldom seen, even in jewels. He might have been angry at the interruption if the picture presented before him had not been so amusing. "What is this?" Thranduil shook a scroll at him. The dwarf rose. "I assure you, I do not know." "My son does not return from Imladris. He sends word that he will follow the ringbearer to Mordor!" Thanduil tossed the parchment on the desk between them. "I do not understand," the dwarf shook his head. "’Twas not mentioned in the plans at the council." "He goes with your son!" Gloin paled."There was talk of Gimli going. Idle chatter only or so I thought! I bid him stay and see the outcome." "Now we know. And what choice do we have but to ally our forces to keep the eye turned away, if we are to ever see our sons again?" The dwarf paused. "I see none." "Then, tell me," Thranduil sighed. "What path do they take?" ~Lady Aranel~

Liz & Lady A.- I raved about how much I liked these drabbles over at HA, but I did want to thank you for the drabbles again. So... thak you. And thanks toeveryone else, who has drabbled and in general made this day a good one. I really appreciate it. Marta

Marta asked for something in some way involving a dwarf. There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. My muses coughed up a last-minute and belated idea, which is certainly whimsical and possibly predictable. Nonetheless, I hope you like it, Marta! And I hope your day was a wonderful one. Cheers ~ Erin **** STONE AND GARLANDS "Good stone," said Gimli, stamping a heavy foot. "It needed but a craftsman's touch. Now rainwater will flow only in the gutters, no more to splash at every step." "Aye," Legolas replied, but his eyes looked elsewhere. "And listen! It is well the elves brought finches; they add such cheer to the gardens." "Finches," snorted Gimli. "Already they make spots on the curbs." Legolas smiled. Gimli paused and stroked his beard. "Could those flowers be trained onto that statue's shoulder?" "They could." "Then let us have it so." They walked on together smiling, for Minas Tirith wore her garlands gladly. ***

Happy Birthday Marta!

*sigh* I know I'm late. I'm always late. But I hope you enjoy this! Change in Perception “Gloin!” Bilbo stood as the dwarf entered the Hall of Fire. “At the service of you and your family.” Bilbo crossed the hall. “Good to see you!” Only then did he notice Gloin’s worried expression. “What troubles you?” “I fear for my son’s safety on this mission. He is sure to encounter many perils.” “Ah, but was our own adventure not riddled with danger?” Bilbo said comfortingly. “True,” Gloin sighed deeply, “but this is my son.” Bilbo glanced quickly at Frodo who was conversing with his young friends. He placed a comforting hand on Gloin’s shoulder. “I understand, my friend.” Cheers, Arandil

For Vulgarweed

Late; but to make up for that, it's a drabble-and-a-half. Farewell "Your task may be complete, Olorin, but I was not sent to Elves and Men only, nor the beasts and birds. I must take thought for all that grows and is green." "Then you will never be finished, until this world is made anew." Radagast shrugged. "I shall be satisfied if I help to preserve something worth remaking. The Elves are departing, and the Men who remain hew and hunt and harvest with little thought for tomorrow and none for the day of their children's children. I must do what I can to teach them otherwise. Did you not say yourself that you would not wholly fail, if anything survived to grow fair or bear fruit again?" "Do as you must; but I shall miss you, brother," the grey wizard said. "Take my greetings to Valinor with you, and tell my lady that I still work to fulfill her charge." - - - p.s. I'm working on another late one for Marta that I hope to post tomorrow.

July Drabble for Marta

There are so many great moments involving Dwarves, and I'd love to see a moment involving one of them. If you can include Bilbo, that's even better. Hi Marta, Nothing personal, but I really had no intention whatsoever of writing a drabble today/this week/this month. Honestly. But I've been writing multiple Resource Library entries from The Hobbit recently (my motto is: pick a Tolkien quote, any quote, and wring as many different Resource Library entries as you can from it...) Anyway, so this Dwarf idea just popped into my head and my rather bemused Muse, Glorfindel, after lifting an elegantly-sculpted eyebrow, just rolled his gorgeous blue eyes and said "Don't bother me, just write it..." and went back to drinking my Dorwinion. So I did. And now I wish to thank you for requesting a drabble that matches the one that popped out of my twisted mind... P.S. Oh, and happy belated birthday, too! - Barbara There and Back Again Memoirs had always fascinated Frodo. As a lad, he had begged Bilbo daily to retell the tales of his grand adventure with his doughty dwarven companions. When Balin paid them a surprise visit, Frodo attended eagerly as the white-beard told of rebuilding the Lonely Mountain and filling the Dragon's Desolation with sturdy stoneworks. Balin's deep voice had resonated with pride for the reconstruction of the halls of his forefathers. But Frodo had also heard a hint of longing for his people's once-hallowed home, Khazad-dûm. Now, Gandalf sighed and put down the Book of Records. "I fear their end was cruel."

Another July drabble for Marta, rather like the last one

Ack! I didn't know Barbara & I were going to end up writing about the same moment. Oh well... Drums in the Deep Doom. Doom, doom. The dwarves huddled around Balin's tomb did not stir. By now the baneful drumming was a constant background to their restless, nightmarish sleep. "It's louder," Ori said suddenly. "The orcs must have reached the Great Hall." Bor silently inspected the barred door to the Chamber of Mazarbul. "It will hold for perhaps ten minutes against a ram," he said. "Less if they have a cave troll." The drumbeat began to accelerate. Orcish shrieks reverberated in the hall. Laying his axe aside for a moment, Ori took up the Book of Records to write its final entry. - - - I'm also pondering an Aragorn/Halbarad drabble for alawa - but that won't be posted until I get back from holidays in early August, as I don't expect to have either writing or computer time while I'm away.

Re: Another July drabble for Marta, rather like the last one

Lovely drabbles one and all I'm trying to write some but not having much success at the moment - but hopefully I'll get there eventually. I'll just have to settle for saying "Happy Birthday" at the moment I'm also pondering an Aragorn/Halbarad drabble for alawa - but that won't be posted until I get back from holidays in early August, as I don't expect to have either writing or computer time while I'm away. Ooo - I'll look forward to that Forodwaith! No hurry. Cheers Alawa

Re: Another July drabble for Marta, rather like the last one

Drums in the Deep That's chilling, Forodwaith! I have goosebumps... Very nice work! I was always struck by the irony of such a grim tale written in such a fair hand (Ori's)... It's amazing how two authors can take inspiration from the same passages, yet write such completely different viewpoints... - Barbara

Another July drabble for Marta, not terribly cheerful either

What is it with all this Dwarven doom and death? I'm afraid mine is no more cheerful, Marta, but very happy belated Birthday regardless... Father to Son Blackness and stench nearly overwhelm me. Screams further off, closer only dying whimpers, and disguise forbids I ease their passing. Yet one chained in this corner can still speak, though he raves. "Ring, my Ring... stolen from me - curse them! - last of the Seven..." He breaks off coughing, broken lungs straining; little time left. I risk the faintest glimmer to look closer at his face, and for a moment sanity gleams desperate in his clouded eyes. He gropes feebly inside the rags of his tunic. "Map... key..." He presses them into my hands, eyes pleading with me. "For my son."

Re: July Babies - Happy Birthday Marta

Hi Marta, Afraid I'm somewhat uninspired when it comes to dwarfs, and nothing has bitten me on Denethor either for the moment. But I do have one on Finduilas and it is pre-Ring War. I hope you won't say no to that. ;o) If you like, you could imagine Denethor lurking somewhere in the distance... Happy birthday! nrink (late, as always) Goldfinch and Nightingale Sisters they were, yet one was nightingale dark, the other bright as a goldfinch in the summer sun. Shivering, the younger turned her face from the pale stone walls that soared into silver-mirrored sky. “Look, there lies the White City,” their mother smiled. “It is beautiful,” the dark one whispered. “Finduilas, look how it glitters like a jewel between earth and sky!” “I see only stone where I would look upon the sea.” And tears like dew glimmered on golden lashes. “Hush now, little one,” said her mother with a kiss. “You shall have the sea again by and by.” p/s: This is my first ever drabble, so do forgive any infelicities.

Re: July Babies - For Vulgarweed

Happy Birthday Vulgarweed! This is somewhat belated, but since you may not pick it up till after the day... this may not quite be what you had in mind for "Olorin: A Day in the Life", but it was the way the Nuzgul bit. Happy (belated) birthday! Olorin I was in my Youth In the West that is Forgotten "...Gandalf's grumpy, as usual." Peregrin's plaintive tones drift over. Without fire all are chilled, even stoic Dwarf and lighthearted Elf, and the damp is in my joints. Yet as I shift to ease my sore back memory flares, briefly... once I was not bound in weary bone and chafed flesh, but made of fire and air, follower in the train of the Lord of Eagles, alive in endless Music... The thought flickers, vanishes, in a flash. "Forgive me, Pippin. I am but an old man, and my knees ache." I sigh heavily, and reach into my cloak for my pipe.

Ooh... thanks, Jay! I especially liked: With acceptance came friendship, growing to the sort of friendship I have been blessed with before, but never thought to find again.

Yet another dark Dwarf drabble for Marta

This one refused to stay confined in a hundred words, so here's a triple drabble for you, Marta. Legacy I remember a happy day beneath the Mountain. I was but a child of ten years. My mother took me for the first time to the gem-cutter’s cavern, and held my hands beneath hers on the tools as we shaped the rough jewels. For the first time I knew the joy of creating beauty with my touch. That night, Smaug came. With wind and fire he invaded, driving us panicking into the night. He took my home from me. Do you know what home is to a woman of the Dwarves? It is our bedrock, our foundation, our roots deep as the roots of the mountain. When I left my home it was as if the ground turned to sand constantly shifting under my feet. When I lay down to sleep I felt the earth tilt and tremble, and there was no solidity to be found anywhere. Through our years of wandering I learned to keep my balance amidst the constant unsteadiness, but without my home, I could never be truly stable. For a hundred years I have endured thus. When we came here I even managed to carve out a secure enough place that I was able to master my body to my will, force it to accept a husband, even come at last to fertility that I might conceive. For I needed sons. You are young now, my Fili, my Kili, but you will grow. When you come to maturity, you will join my brother when he returns. He dreams of gold, but I know that is the least the worm stole from us. I will teach you to hunger and thirst for retribution. And when you have spent your toil and blood, and the dragon lies writhing in his death throes, then will your mother be avenged. Elana

*Pokes forum ... taps forum ... checks forum's pulse* Did we kill it? Gosh, I guess I'd better go take another look at the July requests and try to summon some muses. It's way too quiet in here. Cheers ~ Erin

Did we kill it? No, no no— 'e's resting. ;) Blame Éomer: he doesn't want to talk to me, wretched horseboy! But do see if the muses will cooperate, Erin. Also, just a general note: we're on post forty-nine. I would recommend the next person start a new thread to spare us the slow page load. Please remember to copy-paste the requests into the first post of the new thread, and copy-paste whatever post you're responding to into your own posting.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum