Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: October 2004 Birthdays - 1

October 2004 Birthdays - 1

October's coming up, people!

Let's have your birthday card requests here.

12 October - MadGamgee

I'd like to see a moment between Eowyn and Pippin. They're my favorite characters, and undoubtedly they met, both being so close to Merry and Faramir, but Tolkien never tells us about that.

14 October - Faramir_Boromir

My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about
Boromir

As a new soldier, as a trainee, as a son, as a commander, as a brother, as a figure of affection to his men, in Osgiliath, in Minas Tirith, travelling to Rivendell, fighting in Moria.... I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best.

16 October - Arquen

My birthday is October 16th, and I'd love a drabble from the POV of someone (other than Tar-Miriel) during the destruction of Numenor. Either one of the Faithful on the ships, or someone watching the wave descend upon the island. Thanks!

19 October - Branwyn

For my birthday (October 19th), I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. Thanks!
Branwyn

crafting a web of words--
cords of sinew, thread of silver

weaving a tissue of dreams--
cloth of nettles, cloth of gold

30 October - Cheryl

My birthday is October 30th, and I'd like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before,during or after the Ring War is fine. No slash please. Thank you!

October 31—Raksha the Demon: I'd love a Faramir drabble - Faramir meeting Elves after the Ring War (or Legolas in the Houses of Healing), Faramir and Eomer, Faramir and Aragorn's relationship, Faramir as a fighter/warrior, Faramir as a musician and/or singer, a Faramir-Gimli conversation, Faramir's relationship with Gandalf, whichever y'all would prefer. I prefer non-slash.

Re: October babies - 2004

I only recently joined this site and discovered drabbles, and I love them! For my birthday (October 19th), I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. Thanks! Branwyn ********* crafting a web of words-- cords of sinew, thread of silver weaving a tissue of dreams-- cloth of nettles, cloth of gold

Hi My birthday is October 30th, and I'd like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before,during or after the Ring War is fine. No slash please. Thank you! Cheryl

Cheryl, on the off-chance I can reverse my current inability to write, do you mind if it is movieverse or bookverse? Avon.

Cheryl, on the off-chance I can reverse my current inability to write, do you mind if it is movieverse or bookverse? Either is fine for me, Avon Cheryl

My birthday is October 31st. I'd love a Faramir drabble - Faramir meeting Elves after the Ring War (or Legolas in the Houses of Healing), Faramir and Eomer, Faramir and Aragorn's relationship, Faramir as a fighter/warrior, Faramir as a musician and/or singer, a Faramir-Gimli conversation, Faramir's relationship with Gandalf, whichever y'all would prefer. I prefer non-slash. Thanx much!

Hello Raksha, I'd originally planned to give you a real, proper story but alas, I'm being chewn up and spat out by RL work. : x You'll have something Faramir from me though, a drabble or a quintribble if I can manage it! nrink (A drabble a day will keep the nuzgul away...)

Another chapter of THE PHRYGIAN FLUTE would be wonderful! Whatever you like; I'm flattered that you think of me.... RAKSHA

Re: For Branwyn

Branwyn: I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. I loved your prompt, but I'm afraid it brought out my "paranoid Denethor" muse, so it's not a very cheerful drabble. It's definitely full of intrigue, though. Happy Birthday, anyway. A net of warring duties I am not blind. I see how you lay your traps. One son you stole long years ago, with soft words. The other you could not corrupt, and fashioned your riddling dream to take him also. You set the halfling to spy on me; your anger was a sham for my men to report. You use me as your shield, even as you prepare the way for that Northern upstart. Always I mistrusted him; was I not right? You would stand behind every throne: north, south and west. The palantír shows your treachery. I will be the tool of none. Cheers, Liz

Re: For Branwyn--A net of warring duties

Liz-- Brooding and dark? But we likes it, we do, and it's our birthday present, my preciousssssss ;-) This is so nice! And I caught the reference to "The Pyre of Denethor"-- "You have been caught in a net of warring duties that you did not weave," Gandalf says to Beregond and the servants of Denethor. In your drabble, we see Denethor plying the shuttle, weaving the net that traps those around him. I like the Steward accusing Gandalf of sending the prophetic dream--it had never occured to me that Denethor might believe that. "I will be the tool of none" has a chilling finality and sums up his state of mind very well, I think. Thank you so much! Branwyn

Brooding and dark? But we likes it, we do, and it's our birthday present, my preciousssssss ;-) Phew, glad you like it! I do seem to have a tradition of writing presents for people which are rather dark and odd. Yes, well spotted: there are lots of references to "Minas Tirth", "The Siege of Gondor" and "The Pyre of Denethor" in there! I like the Steward accusing Gandalf of sending the prophetic dream--it had never occured to me that Denethor might believe that. I think that, at the very end of his life, Denethor would blame Gandalf for Boromir's death as well. And, after all, we know Gandalf had a habit of giving people interesting dreams back in Valinor.... "I will be the tool of none" has a chilling finality and sums up his state of mind very well, I think. And to me is very sad because, right at the end, he has been manipulated, by grief and by misinterpreting the visions Sauron has allowed him to see, into becoming Sauron's tool. Anyway, thanks for giving me the chance to explore a few character moments with Denethor there! Cheers, Liz

Re: For Branwyn--A net of warring duties

And to me is very sad because, right at the end, he has been manipulated, by grief and by misinterpreting the visions Sauron has allowed him to see, into becoming Sauron's tool. True, Denethor may be doing the weaving, but Sauron is playing out the lengths of thread to him! Branwyn

My birthday is coming up on the 12th. I'd like to see a moment between Eowyn and Pippin. They're my favorite characters, and undoubtedly they met, both being so close to Merry and Faramir, but Tolkien never tells us about that. Namaste. MadGamgee

For Raksha

Very early, but you know that when Faramir starts talking to me, he often won't shut up! Here he is as warrior and musician. Happy birthday, Raksha! A warrior’s skills He moves among them, speaks to each group in turn. Orders for tomorrow’s battle were given to their leaders; still he shares a jest, asks after news from home, lays a calm hand on a young shoulder. “Give us a song, Captain.” The words carry across the cavern. Men turn to look. “It’s been a while….” He smiles, apologetic, ready to move on. “Don’t tell us you’ve lost your voice!” someone else calls. “A song, a song!” The quiet beat of hands on hilts. How can he not grant their wish, that a warrior should have more skills than weaponcraft? Cheers, Liz

Re: For Raksha

Oooh; this is so nice. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling. I wish I could be in the cave with the Rangers, about to hear a song from their Captain. This is very much the essential Faramir; who is a fighter and warrior but also a singer and scholar. And he's very good at all of it. Thanx, Liz!

"A net of warring duties I am not blind. I see how you lay your traps. One son you stole long years ago, with soft words. The other you could not corrupt, and fashioned your riddling dream to take him also. You set the halfling to spy on me; your anger was a sham for my men to report. You use me as your shield, even as you prepare the way for that Northern upstart. Always I mistrusted him; was I not right? You would stand behind every throne: north, south and west. The palantír shows your treachery. I will be the tool of none. Cheers, Liz" Another wonderful drabble, about Denethor, who is in many ways the flip side of Faramir. The sad thing is, Denny is not altogether wrong about Mithrandir using Minas Tirith/Gondor, which Denny equates with himself, as a shield against Sauron's power. By bringing Pippin, who Sauron believes is the Ringbearer, to Minas Tirith, Gandalf not only draws the Enemy's attention away from the true Ringbearer, he makes Minas TIrith the target of Sauron's wrath. I can't blame Gandalf; if Frodo is detected and caught, all of MIddle-earth could fall to Sauron; and I'm sure Gandalf believed that the White City was the best equipped place to repel Mordor's assault until Frodo accomplished his mission. But from Denethor's viewpoint, I could see Denethor's belief, particularly in his increasingly frazzled and paranoid state, that Gandalf and Aragorn (who deliberately drew Sauron's attention via the palantir) seemed to be rather cavalierly delegating Minas TIrith as the target du jour without even a by-your-leave... But the rest of Denethor's rant is the fruit of a sorely troubled mind. He's definitely on a Reign-in-Hell-rather-than-serve-in-Heaven track.... I always wondered who sent that riddle-dream to the Brothers Mir. And why it went to both brothers; when Faramir would have been so much better suited for the chore, and was more expendable too... RAKSHA

I'll do my best with The Phrygian Flute. *evil wink* cheers, nrink

Hi Raksha Glad you liked it - I found your prompt very inspiring. Thanks also for the kind words about the Denethor drabble for Branwyn. As Gandalf said, Sauron couldn't make the palantiri lie, but he could make others misunderstand what they saw. Cheers, Liz

Hey Raksha, Just in case there's no new chapter of The Phrygian Flute this month, I'm giving you three (probably non-canonical) drabbles (yes, three!) to make up for it. Hope you like them - think I've got Faramir the musician, Faramir and Gandalf and er...maybe not Faramir the warrior, but you can have Pippin instead. Have a smashing birthday - and I'm early, for once! cheers, nrink
A Thousand and One Nights A thousand and one songs for a thousand and one nights. He remembers each of them; he remembers too, her beloved voice, her quiet laughter. Untutored fingers tremble on silver strings; the notes shimmer, star-spray in the summer air. He listens. Sound, shivering to silence. This is his voice; they will speak again, mother and son, and the shadowed gulf of death shall not divide them. His heart is heavy with guilt and grief. One day, perhaps, he will sing to the dawn and the evening star. One day, she shall hear him in her quiet grave by the sea.
The Grey Wanderer He came to them, an old man. Grey was his beard, grey his cloak and his face was stern. Round-eyed, they stared. For a long while the three were still, the Steward’s sons and the stranger; the Tree’s white branches between them. Then, the younger, fair and fearless came forward. “Welcome, lord Mithrandir.” And the wizard saw in the child’s gaze, past, present and future - all he was now and all he would one day be. Much grief and sorrow to come; yet faith there was too, and joy at the end. “Hail, lord Faramir,” said Mithrandir, slowly smiling.
The Thain’s Son “It is too rich a gift!” whispered Pippin. Gingerly, he held the cup to the light. “But what is it made of?” he asked, puzzled. Laughter twinkled in Faramir’s pale eyes. “It is carved from the bone of a dromedary, master Halfling; a two humped creature that lives in the deserts of Harad. The desert men ride them as we ride horses. It was my brother’s once.” Pippin held his breath. “Truly?” Without waiting for an answer, he cried, “Merry, look! A gift from one warrior to another.” Eagerly, Merry turned to the Prince of Ithilien. “Is there another one?”

My birthday is October 14 and I would appreciate any words about Boromir As a new soldier, as a trainee, as a son, as a commander, as a brother, as a figure of affection to his men, in Osgiliath, in Minas Tirith, travelling to Rivendell, fighting in Moria.... I'd just as soon not have death fic, ...something about the man when he is alive would please me best. And thanks! Faramir_boromir

You people are whipping up my Gondorian muse! We should make October the Gondorian month, or the Brothers Mir Month and have a drabble-feast... cheers, nrink

But nrink, EVERY month is Brother Mir Month! Faramir_Boromir PS But if this stirs your Gondorian muse, I say go for it....

I am three times blest, Nrink - love the drabbles! Particularly the one with Gandalf meeting the young Boromir and Faramir. I liked Gandalf's being intrigued, or impressed enough by little Faramir to greet him first, and what he saw in the child's gaze. And Faramir's giving Pippin a cup that had belonged to Boromir is great! Unless the gift was given in the future, to little Faramir Took - from the title, it could be either. RAKSHA, who is all for October being Gondorian Month at HASA

My birthday is October 16th, and I'd love a drabble from the POV of someone (other than Tar-Miriel) during the destruction of Numenor. Either one of the Faithful on the ships, or someone watching the wave descend upon the island. Thanks! Arquen

Glad you like them! I had good fun in the writing. cheers! nrink

I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. Hello Branwyn! Happy early Birthday!! Hope your day is filled with many wonderful things. Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ A Lesson in Mercy “Don’t kill it Da!” The child’s cry begged mercy. A fraction away from his dire deed Sam hesitated, stone in hand. “Please.” Elanor stared with watery blue eyes, first at her father, then at the object of his determination. Dewdrops sparkled in the spider’s web, just like the wet kiss of tears on his daughter’s face. Sam’s aversion toward the creature warred with the tug of a child’s words in his heart. Defeated, he smiled and took her tiny hand, leaving the spider for another day. How could he not? Unknowingly she’d woven a web of healing in his heart.

Re: October Birthdays--A Lesson in Mercy

Vistula-- This brought tears to my eyes! Sweet Elanor sees no reason to harm the innocent spider, and Sam cannot bear to see her distress. And fittingly enough, his mercy will be repaid with kind deeds; that little spider will slay the armored beetles that wantonly burrow in the hearts of his prized roses. ;-) How beautifully you worked in the theme of spiderwebs! Unknowingly she’d woven a web of healing in his heart. Perhaps Sam has seen too much killing and must guard against callousness in his own heart? This was very fresh and original--I would have expected a drabble with hideous Mirkwood spiders but not the common spider in Sam's garden. Thank you so much! Branwyn who liberates all spiders found in her house ;-D

Re: October Birthdays--A Lesson in Mercy

Thank you Branwyn! I too, liberate spiders from my house or leave them alone if they are causing no problems. I'm too sensitive to kill them or any bugs for that matter. I see Elanor as Sam's healer, the one who brings him new life after all that has transpired in the ring quest. Her child's innocence can help him to see beyond the horrors of the past to a brighter future with her and the rest of his family in it. She is there as a mirror for his actions. When she is distressed by her father's deeds he knows that he's lost sight of what is real and important. She reminds him that mercy and tolerance are more important that past horrors and wrongs. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. Cheers! Vistula

Here's an early present Raksha. Hope you like it. Practice “Move your feet, move your feet!” Faramir knew he was not fast enough to defeat the weaponsmaster, but he did not appreciate hearing such advice shouted from the seats other warriors took while waiting their chance with Old Foldaran. Suddenly, he saw it—the opening. Ducking, he swung the blade to hit mid-thigh. The wooden sword connected with a “Crack” against the cuisses of Old Folly’s practice armor. And the look in the older man’s eyes was surprise: he had thought to beat young Captain Faramir once more, as he always had. Then, in unison, both men said, “Again.” Faramir_boromir

October Birthdays - Happy Birthday F_B!

Happy Birthday, F_B! Mag the Cook Remembers Boromir Oh, he had a sweet tooth, our young lord Boromir! Whenever he returned home to us, safe and whole, I’d fix his favorites: breakfast cakes drizzled with ginger glaze; milky tea sweetened with honey and cinnamon; crisp duckling roasted with oranges and dates. He’d laugh, and kiss me, and call me his darling Mag. I’d shoo him away, but not before he’d grabbed a handful of sugared almonds, for later. Now, every year on his birthday, my lord Faramir bakes ginger cakes, with his own hands, in memory. Not as good as mine, but Faramir tries his best, bless him. ***** Ann

Oh I do like it! Very much. Young Faramir shows his quality! Thanx, Fara-bor! RAKSHA

Re: October Birthdays - Happy Birthday F_B!

Dear Ann, Wow, thanks! I've always imagined that Faramir could take or leave candied things, and that Boromir loved sweets. So you've hit the nail on the head (for me) with this one--and a great perspective, Mag the Cook. I can see the whole scene, just as you describe it. Terrific! F_B

Re: October babies - 2004 - Cheryl

30 October - Cheryl My birthday is October 30th, and I'd like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before, during or after the Ring War is fine. Cheryl, I'm so sorry I absolutely could not manage to do a real 100 word drabble for this! I hope you don't mind a triple. Fellowship The arrows whizzed randomly near the clout, but the man seemed not to notice as he drew and loosed, muttering curses under his breath that had naught to do with archery. “The ringbearer’s party is still not decided?” Legolas asked, leaning against a tree trunk. “I” – Aragorn’s arrow flew wide an inch to the right – “have not” – a second arrow followed into the scrub beyond – “been consulted.” His third thwacked squarely into the clout. He turned to face the elf, anger clouding his expression. “You have just returned from the longest and most mysterious of the scouting missions,” Legolas said mildly. “Master Elrond values your opinion, but you were not here to give it.” “Does nine seem a rather large number to proceed with stealth?” “You and Mithrandir, Boromir, Gimli, Frodo, of course, and Sam. Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir are the names I have heard most frequently. It does not seem an unwieldy group.” “My heart misgives me. Merry and Pippin beg to come.” Aragorn looked East and carefully unstrung his bow. “Orcs stir in the mountains, and my brothers yearn to hunt them rather than follow Frodo to Mordor. Glorfindel’s weapon is the sword, as is Boromir’s. I will have Andruil. Gimli, his axe.” A glint of humor came into his eyes as they guilelessly met Legolas’s. “We need an archer.” “Shall I help you gather up your arrows?” Legolas gestured toward the clout. “Were that as wide as an orc, it would be many times dead.” “I traveled long with Merry and Pippin. They are staunch friends to Frodo and wish to stay with him. It would leave room for only one, who should be both an elf and archer.” “You prefer me to Glorfindel?” Legolas arched an eyebrow. “Say yes, and I will see it happens.” “Yes.” Have a very happy birthday, Cheryl!! Gwynnyd

30 October - Cheryl My birthday is October 30th, and I'd like to see some friendship drabbles between Aragorn and Legolas. Before, during or after the Ring War is fine. Well, my Elf!muse finally talked to me, although I ended up with a drabble and a half, partly because Marta insisted I put Beregond in as well. No I don't know why, either, but I probably used 50 words explaining why he's there. Anyway.... here you are, hope you like it. The King’s Summons A twig cracks under my foot; doe and fawn bound away, startled. Lord Legolas turns, his face clouded with annoyance. I care not, now I have tracked him down at last (and I have long grown used to teasing that I will always be a city guard). “Your pardon, Lord.” I salute him. “Lord Faramir sent me to find you. The King requests your presence most urgently.” “Is aught wrong?” He sets off, and I struggle to keep pace. “Naught that cannot be amended by a draught shared to wet the new prince’s head, if I understand the message aright,” I pant. He stops abruptly. “The Queen is safely delivered? A son?” I nod, breathless. A smile lights his face. Then he lets out a most un-elven whoop and is off again. His cry drifts faintly back to me. “Ah, Aragorn, I will drink Minas Tirith dry with you today!” Happy Birthday . Cheryl. Cheers, Liz

Squeee!!!! Two drabbles while I slept! And both are lovely! I'm so sorry I absolutely could not manage to do a real 100 word drabble for this! I hope you don't mind a triple. Oh! Gwynnyd! Triple drabbles are most welcome!! Great visual on Aragorn firing off shots in anger...I could totally see it...and Legolas standing there trying to placate him Great friendship moment! Well, my Elf!muse finally talked to me, although I ended up with a drabble and a half, partly because Marta insisted I put Beregond in as well. No I don't know why, either, but I probably used 50 words explaining why he's there. Anyway.... here you are, hope you like it. Liz! It's great! Looking at their friendship doesn't necessarily mean they both have to be in the same room at the same time...I like seeing Legolas' enthusiasm even when Aragorn isn't there (not to mention the very un-elvish whoop! He's been hanging around Men too much ) Who am I to complain that it's over 100 words?? Thank you both!! What a wonderful way to start my day!! Cheryl

Happy Birthday, Faramir_Boromir! Not quite sure if this quite fits the bill...but Boromir as brother... *** Lessons The garden buzzes with sounds but Faramir hears none of it. As he holds the practice swords in hand, all he hears is Boromir's voice – quiet and encouraging as always. "There... you curl your fingers so... keep your wrist like this... and loosen your shoulders... and..." A burst of laughter cuts through his thoughts. Merry and Pippin stand ready to play, wooden practice swords in hand, faces flush with laughter, their friends watching on smiling. And as Faramir watches them curl their fingers around the hilts and adjust their stances, he knows they have had the same teacher as he. ***

Acacea, this is wonderful. Of course Faramir would hear echoes of his brother in the people around him--Merry and Pippin and the other Fellowship members. That he teaches others the way he himself was taught by Boromir is completely appropriate...precisely what he would do. all he hears is Boromir's voice - quiet and encouraging as always. That's how I think of Faramir. Boromir is ever-present in his mind. I'm so glad you wrote this. What a great present, Acacea...thank you! Faramir_boromir

This is my first attempt at a drabble...hope it fits the bill, Faramir_Boromir... Faramir paced the floor in nervous anxiety, glancing occasionally at the thick door to his room. “Sit down, Faramir, pacing shall not hurry the process,” Aragorn chuckled. They heard gentle murmurs, a cry of pain, then a new sound. A child’s cry, gasping its first breath. Faramir hurried to Eowyn’s side to find her smiling up at him with the swaddled babe in her arms. “Tis a boy, Faramir, we have a son.” Faramir stared down at the babe, and his breath caught in his throat, for looking back at him were Boromir’s bright grey eyes. “My love,” he whispered.

Dear Leaward, As I said in my comments over in LJ, I'm really touched by you writing this. I've always thought that Faramir would look at his son and see Boromir there, turning what should be a moment of joy into one that is bittersweet. So thank you for writing this. F_B

Leaward, that's a lovely drabble. I'm just melting into a puddle. Loved Aragorn's being there to support anxious new-Father-to-be Faramir. RAKSHA

I'm very very glad you liekd it f_b.

For MadGamgee

12 October – MadGamgee wanted "a moment between Eowyn and Pippin." Wondering about the White Lady “Keep Lady Éowyn company for me while I am gone.” Faramir’s words ring in my ears as he departs at the summons I brought from the King. Bees hum loudly among the herbs as we look at each other uncertainly. Merry told me of her grief and despair, kindness, valour, how pity for her awoke his courage. Faramir’s stern face softens when he speaks of her; left unsaid that this new love gives hope amidst grief for those who are gone. Who is she that she can capture their hearts so? “Lady Éowyn,” I bow as I make our beginning. Happy slightly early birthday, MadGamgee Liz (who can see the October babies are going to be as pesky as the May ones were, with all these drabbles focused on my favourite characters, places and periods....)

For Raksha, early!

Hello Raksha: This doesn't involve Elves, or Eomer, or Aragorn, or Gimli, or fighting or singing, or Gandalf, but I did manage to squeeze in Faramir, a little bit. And it's also a sequel to the one I wrote for Faramir_Boromir, so you might want to scroll back up and read that one, else you'll be convinced I've totally lost my mind. Family Traditions By the time the household was roused by his littlest sister’s cries of “Papa’s baking! Papa’s baking!” Faramir and Elboron had been at work for quite some time. Two kinds of ginger: ground for the filling, candied for the glaze. He watched his father’s strong, callused hands kneading the dough, until… “Smooth as a baby’s bottom!” they sang out in unison, laughing, as always. Then came the moment when Elboron asked his question, as he did each year, knowing now that it was part of the tradition. “What was my uncle Boromir like?” And his father began to tell him. Ann

Re: For Raksha, early!

Hi Arqen! This one is for you. It's only my second drabble, so let me know how it sounds. Happy birthday! Unanswered Prayer The ground keeps shaking, and Mommy says that we need to get away, to run. That if we don't, then the water will get us. She grabs my hand, and pulls me out of the house. She keeps saying, "Eru please help us, have mercy," but I guess he isn't going to. We're at a wall now, and we're stuck. The sea water is filling up, and it's up to my knees already. Mommy is crying, and she holds me close. A wall of water is falling on us, and then there is a cracking sound. Eru doesn't like us.

Re: For Raksha, early!

Dear Ann, I know this is for Raksha, but I just wanted to say I like seeing how the earlier drabble about Mag the Cook continued here. Nice work, Ann. F_Boromir

19 October - Branwyn For my birthday, I ask for words about the weaving of banners, spiderwebs, or intrigues. Thanks! Happy to oblige! And have a very Happy Birthday! The Weaving is the Easy Part Feet dance over treadles and the shed accepts the shuttle at last. Gently beaten, the taut warp shifts. Weft builds bridges, over and over. Easily finding the rhythm of the patterns, Arwen smiles as her thoughts fly to all that went before. Times alone, twisting fragile strands into unity strong enough to bind, hair fine, but enough to spread from north to south. Dipping again and again into murky depths, to confound Shadow with its own shades. Coaxing, firmly leading the unruly into place. Untangling, beginning again. Adamantine gems await their place. Our tasks are not so different, my love. Gwynnyd

The Weaving is the Easy Part Gwynnyd, I am so in awe of your talent! - Barbara

12 October - MadGamgee I'd like to see a moment between Eowyn and Pippin. They're my favorite characters, and undoubtedly they met, both being so close to Merry and Faramir, but Tolkien never tells us about that. MadGamgee, I just reread your request and I'm not sure my drabble fits. It involves Pippin and Eowyn, but they are not meeting - Eowyn is rather preoccupied at the moment. It's taken from a scene from Liz's story "Later". If you haven't read it, the story is set a few nights after Eowyn and Faramir are betrothed, when the two are trying to find a private place to kiss. Unfortunately, Edoras is rather overrun with guests, and privacy is scarce. They have to abandon one such hiding place when they are nearly discovered by Merry and Pippin. The story is available here at HASA, by Tanaqui. Specifically, you're looking for the part beginning with "The trouble with having so many noble visitors" and ending with "Then, miming for her to be silent, he led them back out into the main corridor." If you prefer, I have quoted the pertinent scene here. Anyway, the drabble. I hope you enjoy it, even if it doesn't quite fit your prompt. "Knight's Service" ***** Pippin watched Merry reach to the back of the shelf above his head. "Here we are," he said, retrieving a wheel of cheese - and several apples, fruit raining down and falling to the floor with a thump. "Merry, be careful!" Pippin hissed in a low voice. In the dim light Pippin saw his cousin shrug. The Took retrieved the bruised apples and placed them on their shelf, hurried back to the hall, and pulled the door shut. "Don't you dare." The words might have been lost to other mortal ears, but hobbits are quick of hearing. Was that... Faramir? But what was he doing here? He inched down the side-passage where he had heard the voice. Pippin glanced past the barely-opened door and saw Éowyn, her fingers interlocking with Faramir's, recovering from what Pippin guessed must have been a stolen kiss - a kiss both had waited long for, but which custom demanded be delayed yet further. A kiss the hobbits had interrupted. He remembered berries, birds, and soaked tunics, shared glances and a promise of "Later". And other things: seeing-stones and fire, tales of valour and despair. Let them have their peace. "Come on, Merry," he said, "I'm hungry."

Anyway, the drabble. I hope you enjoy it, even if it doesn't quite fit your prompt. I quite enjoyed it, and it fits just fine. Just as long as Pippin and Eowyn are within the same 100 words, really. And it doesn't hurt that "Later" is a favorite of mine. Liz, I enjoyed your drabble as well. Between the two, I'm one happy hobbit. Thank you. MadGamgee

Liz, I enjoyed your drabble as well. Between the two, I'm one happy hobbit. Thank you. Happy to oblige and glad you liked it. Also very pleased to hear I have a fan for "Later" so Marta's choice was a good one. Marta, I really liked seeing the scene from the other side - thanks! Cheers, Liz

For Cheryl, Also Early!

When the Muse shows up, I just have to drop everything else and answer the call! Special thanks to silver_blue_phoenix, who planted the seed that blossomed where no other would grow. Small Gift Legolas and Aragorn had traveled far together, and shared much: hunger and pain; songs and stories; bittersweet memories of the past, wistful longings for the future. So if he chooses not to share this secret, then neither will I, thought Legolas. But when he spied a small flat stone, the ghostly image of an ancient fern-leaf embedded in the dark matrix, he knelt quickly and slipped it into his pack. “Happy birthday, friend,” Aragorn’s eyes lit up, a sudden flash of boyish delight that warmed the heart. A small token, dear Estel, in earnest of what is yours by right.

The Weaving is the Easy Part Gwynnyd, I am so in awe of your talent! Thank you! I can blame my friend Grace who is a weaver. I've watched/helped her warp a loom. The weaving *is* the easy part. Gwynnyd

Re: For Cheryl, Also Early!

OOH!! *big happy sigh* That is wonderful!! Thank you, Ann!! Special thanks to silver_blue_phoenix, who planted the seed that blossomed where no other would grow. Pass my thanks to silver_blue_phoenix too, for planting the seed!! *very happy* Cheryl

Gwynnyd, Oooh, many thanks! Beautiful analogy between Aragorn's slow and patient work to reweave the fabric of the kingdom and Arwen's solitary, painstaking work at spindle, dyepot, and loom. At the finish of the tasks, Adamantine gems wait their place in both the banner and the crown. So nice! I love that you worked in spinning, dyeing, and dressing the loom, along with the weaving. Hmmm, did your weaving friend give you that title? ;-) Thank you for these well-crafted words! Branwyn

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum