Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: January 2005 Birthdays - 2

January 2005 Birthdays - 2

January 2005 Birthdays

[post edited to include b-day list]

January 3 - Imhiriel: My birthday is on January 3rd. Tuor and Idril are two of my favourites, therefore I'd like to see a scene involving this, IMO, sadly under-written couple. For this birthday drabble I'd prefer a happy moment between the two, but a dark/sad/angsty scene will be welcomed as well.

January 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great.

January 9 - Isil Elensar: I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy.

January 12 - Malinear: I'm pretty easy to please as I'm a big fan of anything F/E-shipping. Elves are good too, especially if it involves the elves of the Grey Havens or the
twins. Oooh...or something out of Dol Amroth...eek...can't decide. Surprise me.

January 13 - Altariel: My birthday is January 13th. I would love drabbles about the palantíri: any time, any place, any one of them (or all). Otherwise, you won't go wrong with some F/E 'shipper joy.

January 26 - Makamu: I would love to read a fic about uhm let me think...Eowyn and Arwen. Gen would be prefered in this case though femslash is okay as well.

Isil's original post:

Yeah, I'm getting antsy... LOL! I absolutely love my birthday! Anyhow...

I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy.

Thanks!
Isil Elensar
happy to be turning 30!

For Jay of Lasgalen

Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. Hi Jay I was trying to write a light-hearted drabble that would follow on from Gwynnyd's, but the Twins insisted on being serious. Hope you like it anyway. Filial duty Their anger frightened me. Looking into their eyes, I saw the passion of Men mingled with the persistence of Elves. Yet I understood why they must go. My heart was heavy, but I would not ask them to stay. We each must grieve in our own way. I provided warm cloaks of my weaving and lembas to sustain their quest. The horses stood ready. I embraced first one brother, then the other. Elrohir murmured, “Take care of father while we are gone.” “Take care of yourselves, and return soon,” I replied tartly, “or all my care will not be enough.” Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

Happy Birthday, Jay!

Happy Birthday! I'd been wanting to write a drabble for you, but the inspiration didn't strike 'til this morning (and even then, I think I must have bribed my muse a little :-S ) Anyway, here it is, and I think I managed to include all of your requested characters. Hope you have a great day! Starlight *** Meeting ‘Dan.’ Elrohir stopped on his tracks, grabbing his brother’s elbow. A single gesture told Elladan where to look. At once, his eyebrow shot up. ‘Legolas!’ Thranduil’s son stood in a corner of the hall, oblivious to the singing inside. ‘He seems too pensive, Ro. I’ve seldom seen him thus. Once-’ ‘45 years ago? Estel was in Rohan last time we were in Mirkwood.’ ‘Aye. The shadow was darkening again…’ ‘Afterwards they never ventured out,’ Elrohir said. ‘Glad am I to see him, but I wonder-’ ‘Wait ‘til tomorrow.’ ‘Let’s find him. He could use some cheer, and so could we.’ *** Elrond was there, and several others were seated in silence about him. (...) There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown, Legolas, a messenger from his father, Thranduil, the King of the Elves of Northern Mirkwood. -The Council of Elrond, FotR

Re: For Jay of Lasgalen

Liz, That was absolutely beautiful. It brought back a lot of memories of my own brother. It was beautiful. I think this one was my favorite line: Their anger frightened me. Looking into their eyes, I saw the passion of Men mingled with the persistence of Elves. What a beautiful and insightful description! Thanks for writing, Starlight

Serious twins are good - the quest for vengeance is so much a part of what the twins are, even though I mostly write them pre-Celebrían's departure. This is a lovely sister/brothers moment, and I like the reference to their mixed heritage. Thank you for this lovely drabble. Jay

Re: Happy Birthday, Jay!

Oh, thank you - you managed to get everyone in, even the 45 part! Poor Legolas seems so forlorn here - what a burden it must have been to have to admit to Gollum's escape I hope the twins managed to cheer him up a little! Jay

Re: Happy Birthday, Jay!

Oh, thank you - you managed to get everyone in, even the 45 part! I'm so glad you liked it, Jay. It's been ages -literally- since I wrote Legolas, and it was a little hard to get back to "elven mode" :-S Poor Legolas seems so forlorn here - what a burden it must have been to have to admit to Gollum's escape I know! For some reason, that little fact has always fascinated me. Even though Legolas is mirthful and he likes his jokes, to take up this responsibility says a lot about that other side of his personality. I hope the twins managed to cheer him up a little! This sounds a little like a tag-team challenge story, don't you think? ;-) How's the birthday been so far? Hope you have a great day, Starlight

Liz, I love your twins drabble, specially the line about their dual heritage. Nic

Re: For Isil Elensar

So, it's a bit late, and I couldn't fit in the hobbits; and I forgot all about the 30 year old elveses, but I did manage to get in something about the menses, and as for happy and warm and fuzzy - well, you decide. A double drabble, inspired by Tanaqui's " A Mother's Duty", from December Babies 3. The Duties of the Steward’s Lady Finduilas understood and accepted her duties – was she not raised to fulfill them? The mysterious duties within the wide, curtained bed: submission to her husband’s desires. Surprisingly, Denethor proved a gentle, considerate lover; and as her confidence grew, an inventive one; and so that duty melted into enduring pleasure for them both. The familiar civic duties: caring for the destitute; organizing schools; encouraging music and art. Stimulating, fulfilling activities, well befitting her station. Motherhood: not duty, but joy! Pregnancy was an adventure, not a burden; and the White City shared their delight in their firstborn son, their jewel, Gondor’s hope. After his weaning, Finduilas expected to conceive again quickly; but her menses reappeared, as regular as the full moon, and as mocking as the bland moon’s face. She drank cup after cup of red clover tea and prayed to whatever powers ruled the moon and the tides and women’s monthly flows: please, please.... When she finally quickened again, her heart sang with joy and relief. Another son, a friend and companion and counselor for his brother. Boromir would be his helper and protector, and no jealousy would ever rise between them. So she prayed; and in this, too, her prayer was granted. ~~~ Hope your day was happy! Ann

Awww. Yes, very warm and fuzzy. Lovely concept of Finduilas as a happy young wife enjoying her conjugal duties... Raksha

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - For Isil

January 9 - Isil Elensar: I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy. Hello Isil! Happy Birthday to you my dear! I hope it turns out to be the most wonderful of days for you!! Well, here it is, the long anticipated drabble. Hope it doesn't disappoint. I didn't manage elves or 30 but did get hobbits, menses and warm fuzzy feelings. Cheers! Vistula ~~~~~ Late “Rosie’s late.” Sam’s face creased in thought. Frodo’s hand paused in mid stroke, a droplet of ink dangerously close to falling onto the page. He scrutinized his friend carefully. “Oh? I’m sure she’ll be back soon…probably gossiping with Marigold…” “No, that ain’t it Frodo. She’s late.” Sam cleared his throat, cheeks coloring. “Ummm, she hasn’t had her…ah…her...monthlies yet.” Frodo nestled the quill in its holder. Understanding dawned slowly in sky-blue eyes. “Oh, you mean that late.” Nodding, Sam flushed with embarrassed pride. “Aye.” “Congratulations Sam!” Frodo cried, clasping his friend’s shoulder warmly. “When is she due?”

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - For Jay

Dear Jay, It isn't a drabble and only half of it belongs to you - the other half is for LKK. I'm sure you two can share nicely. ;-) A Gift of Freedom

Avon, I can't see any chapters, just the story summary. Jay

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - Jay of Lasgalen

January 7 - Jay of Lasgalen: I like the twins, Legolas, Thranduil, or any combination thereof. I prefer friendship to slash. I'll be 45 !!! so a mention of that number would be great. Jay: I'm sorry this is a bit late, but it's a double to make up for it. You've always said such nice things about my stories that I had to do one specially for you and the muse would not cooperate until late last night. It's just a piece of fluff, but I hope you enjoy it. “They are courteous, if they break their silence.” Elrohir sat next to his brother in the Hall at Helm’s Deep. Looking up he saw the dwarf from the Fellowship smiling at him. “Gimli, Gloin’s son, at your service.” “Elrohir, at yours and your family’s.” “You missed a mighty battle with a mort of killing. I myself have counted forty-two!” Elrohir felt very confused. “Forty-two?” Elladan unhelpfully began, “Dagor...?” “Dagger, axe, whatever weapons it takes in battle.” Gimli leaned on the table. “You are mighty warriors. Have you managed forty-two?” Elrohir did not remember forty battles as large as Helm’s Deep and certainly not during Gimli’s lifetime. A quick glance at his brother discerned the same bewilderment he felt. How many dwarves facing how many orcs did it take to make a battle in Gimli’s mind? He thought back over his largest skirmishes and the few real battles. “We might have done forty-five,” he ventured. “Together, not each,” Elladan added quickly as Gimli’s expression fell. “Hah!” Gimli pounded the table. “And I’ve got forty-two! Legolas only counts forty-one.” He walked away whistling. Elrohir raised a quizzical eyebrow. “Legolas said he’d been in forty-one battles?” There had to be a good story here. As one they rose to find him. I hope your birthday was very happy and that your year brings only good things to you. Gwynnyd Yes, I know the quote refers to the Dúnedain, but they came WITH the twins, and it fits so well. For the people who have come to expect my odd vocabulary quirks, 'mort' is the right word. It means "a great number or quantity." E-X-P-A-N-D your vocabulary! Soon there will be a quiz. And 'dagor' of course means 'battle' in Sindarin.

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - Jay of Lasgalen

I love the misunderstandings between Gimli and the twins - and the conversation with Legolas promises to be equally interesting. Thank you too for including the forty-five, and for using the book-verse final tally! I can't believe how many drabbles and ficlets I've had - thank you Gwynnyd, and everyone else. Jay

Re: January 2005 Birthdays

Re: It’s Just a Phase - or - Thirty Is Still Quite Young. Gwynnyd, I forgot to say how much I liked Isil's drabble as well. Thirty-year-old twins are young in Elvish terms, and very mischievious still! I loved the 'satisfying splash', and the end. Yes, it would be better to run away first, *then* argue about who's fault it was! Jay

For Isil

January 9 - Isil Elensar: I'm turning 30 in 2005. WOOHOO! I would love a drabble involving 30 year old elveses, menses (uhhh... yeah), and hobbitses. Pick either, I don't have a preference. Make it happy, or a warm fuzzy. As requested, thirty-year-old elveses. And because I can't help it, it's about the twins. Happy Birthday, Isil! Great Minds Think Alike Elrohir rolled over and peered at the other bed. Elladan was still asleep. He groped under his pillow, and found the jewel-hilted dagger that was to be Elladan’s begetting day gift. It was the only safe hiding place, so obvious that his twin would never think to look there. He slid out of bed and crossed to Elladan’s, tugging the covers off abruptly. Elladan sat up with a startled yell. He sighed, then fished beneath his pillow and held out a felt-covered object. “Happy begetting day, Elrohir!” Carefully, Elrohir unwrapped it, smiling at the jewel-hilted dagger revealed. “Happy thirtieth, Elladan.” Jay

EEK! Me, idiot! Sorry, I have fixed my chapter numbers now so it does show. Avon

January 2005 Birthdays - For Jay

Heart’s Desire ~*~ Legolas sat on the edge of the cot where Faramir lay. The elf had been regarding the man intensely. Now his gaze fell on Pippin. “He looks like… Aragorn.” The hobbit paused, basin in hand, to regard the new Steward. “He does a bit, yes,” he smiled. “Only more freshly washed.” They shared a grin and Legolas turned back to Faramir, who was now resting peacefully, his brow no longer creased with fever dreams. What does he hope to see? Pippin wondered, as he set the basin down. Legolas glanced back up at Pippin and reached out to touch the sleeve of his livery. “I believe he will be worthy of your service. That is,” the elf paused. “If you plan to stay?” “I do.” Pippin studied Faramir then looked at Legolas, hopefully. “I think he will need me?” His voice sounded unsure to his own ears. Clearing his throat, he turned to busy himself with arranging the towels. “And you? Will you stay?” A gull’s harsh cry suddenly pierced the gloom, drawing Legolas’s attention to the window. There was a long silence before the elf answered. “I will,” he finally replied, his eyes still distant. “For a while, Pippin.” ---------------- Hope you had a great day, Jay!!! ~Lady Aranel~

Re: January 2005 Birthdays-For Altariel

Happy birthday a few days early. The Sleep of Stone In the beginning was mute dullness, until the Fire. Thought rooted deep into the stones, made of them a mirror, a glass sublime to catch its likeness. Then the bones of the earth saw, and all the earth was seen in them. Pitilessly pure, their reflection—stone knows no falsehood. Yet even the palantíri grew dim, near-sighted: the subtle glass cracked as the globes fell to foes or fire. In the new age, not all things can be renewed: shards they are now of a vast Bygone. Elessar looks west once more into the Anor-stone, then lets it fade forever.

Avon, this was a lovely tale. It was so sad as they remembered Arathorn's death, but full of hope (and Hope!) for the future. The final image of the bird flying to freedom was beautiful. Thank you so much for this birthday ficlet - but which half is mine? Jay

Ooh, Legolas and the sea longing! Wonderful! I love Legolas's concern for Pippin; wondering if Faramir is worthy of his service. I really like to see interactions between Legolas and the hobbits, and not many writers do that. Thank you for this. I can't believe how many wonderful drabbles and ficlets people have written! Jay

HEART'S DESIRE - nice work, Lady A! Always a pleasure to read of Faramir, freshly washed is a nice plus. Good allusion to his resemblance to Aragorn; I think they would like they came from the same family. Anytime you'd like to write stories or mega-drabbles of Legolas' getting to know the new Steward of Gondor when Faramir's awake, I'd be delighted to read them... Avon - A GIFT OF FREEDOM was lovely; I've commented on it over at your beta-group. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAY; and sorry that my drabble muse slept through it... RAKSHA THE DEMON

Heart’s Desire Wonderful drabble, Aranel! There so much left unsaid, but you can sense it in every line and every gesture, lovely. I especially liked this paragraph: A gull’s harsh cry suddenly pierced the gloom, drawing Legolas’s attention to the window. There was a long silence before the elf answered. Imhiriel

The Sleep of Stone There is so much weight in this drabble, so much of sad history and events and time passing. Yet somehow you make the palantíri beautiful. It's giving justice to their original creation and the intention behind it. And in the end, it's as all things must be: you can't hinder or unmake changes, you have to let go. Imhiriel

Oh Ann, this was a very wonderful double drabble.... shivers ran down my spine while I read it! Rhapsody

That was beautiful...a nice bundle of emotions in a small package. The flow from humor to hope to longing is seamless and touching. Well done!

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - Altariel and Malinear

Gwynnyd -- I loved "They are courteous..."! Clever and very funny. For Altariel and Malinear (who seems to have been left off of the list up top), my very first two attempts at drabbling. A few days early, but I'll be getting ready to go back to school this week and didn't want to forget. They're somewhat interdependent, but they separately address requests from each of the birthday folks. General question: in straight-narrative drabbles, does anyone else find themselves tending to fall into a sort of metre? I found a lot of iambic-ness happening as I wrote these... For Malinear: Readying for the Ring-bearers Long have been the Shipwright’s preparations for this voyage, for this time he too will take ship and see at last the shores of Eldamar, the Swanhaven and his long-sundered kin. Some days before the Ring-bearers’ arrival, he sends as envoy the last of the Falathrim who too will sail, to conduct an important guest from Emyn Beraid. With reverence and Círdan’s supervision, the fellow voyager is brought to Mithlond and settled in the ship, another exile ready to return home. With all now in readiness, the Ship-lord and his folk await the coming of the bearers of the Rings. For Altariel: Together Home With quiet words, the Lady once of Lórien is welcomed by the Shipwright, and praises warmly the preparations he has made for their sailing. He smiles a secret smile, ushering her belowdecks, where a very old friend awaits a reunion. The Lady halts, and her eyes fill with memories shared with this one: of birth in the Blessed Realm, of journeys far from home, of longing far-off looks back to forsaken bliss. Her fingers reach and gently smooth the curve of the Seeing Stone, her window to her family through long Ages past. “Now, my friend, together we go home.”

Thank you so much for this birthday ficlet - but which half is mine? Every second word - which should tighten up my writing style considerably ;-) Avon

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - For Malinear and Altariel

Loving a Book Lover “Faramir, it is a beautiful day!” “Ummm…,” said Faramir as he turned another page. “Too lovely a day to stay inside reading,” Éowyn said emphatically, coming to kneel beside the couch. Faramir continued reading, shutting out Éowyn as he had learnt to shut out Boromir’s attempts to disturb his reading. With a hiss of disgust, Éowyn sat back on her heels. “We could go for a ride – Meleth is simply eating her head off.” “Later,” offered Faramir as he turned another page. Soon she would go away and- Faramir closed his book. Boromir had never tried that to distract him.

Beverage alert, Avon! Better edit! Ann

Huh? Sorry, I can't see the mistake - can you point it out please? Thanks, Avon Edit: Ohhh... I get it now! Thick. ;-)

Love it, Avon, thank you very much!

They're lovely, Aerlinnel, thank you very much I very much like how both work together. does anyone else find themselves tending to fall into a sort of metre? Definitely. Not sure why - maybe because a drabble is so compressed it can end up being a bit like poetry?

Beautiful, Dwim. All about history and things passing, just my kind of thing. Thank you

Yay! I really didn't expect to get a Havens fic, but wow! Loved it loved it loved it! Thank you so much (esp for remembering me!) for the drabble...both of them were great. -Kit

Oooh...hang on...Ok...I had to get control of myself first before being able to properly respond. I LOVED it! I was already trying not to laugh at the fact that Faramir was actually ignoring Eowyn...and the references to Boromir as well, and the end! The imagination runs rampant! Huzzah! Thank you! -Kit

the end! The imagination runs rampant! *innocent* Didn't she just rip out the page he was reading?

Imhiriel: There is so much weight in this drabble... It's giving justice to their original creation and the intention behind it. Thanks! Trying to find the guiding thread for this was hard. The historical angle proved to be the only one I could make work. And in the end, it's as all things must be: you can't hinder or unmake changes, you have to let go. The ultimate lesson of LOTR, I guess. I had so wanted to make that explicitly parallel Aragorn letting go of life, and both of them going "to sleep", but the word count got in the way. Altariel: Beautiful, Dwim. All about history and things passing, just my kind of thing. I'm glad you liked it. You must be the only non-geologist to want rocks for your birthday.

Loving a Book Lover *splutters* Avon, that was priceless!

You must be the only non-geologist to want rocks for your birthday. Big, shiny, expensive rocks!

Re: January 2005 Birthdays - Take 2

Happy Belated Birthday, Imhiriel! Hope you had a nice day yesterday :-) I did indeed, thank you! I'm sorry for responding so late; I wasn't on-line for the first week of Janurary, and then I must somehow overlooked your gift to me. Here's Tuor and Idril for you (I don't have my Silm copy with me, so I hope it's coming historically accurate) Three Men I'm feeling so bad about this, when I'm so happy about this little story, but I'm afraid you did mix up the characters . I assume you mixed up Idril and Elwing. As I read the Silmarillion, Eärendil didn't wed Elwing till after his parents sailed away into the West: Bright Eärendil was then lord of the people that dwelt nigh to Sirion's mouth, and he took to wife Elwing the fair, and she bore him Elrond and Elros, who are called the Half-Elven. (Silm, chp. 24) So Idril wouldn't even know her grand-children. Or am I having a slooow day today and just can't correctly identify the protagonists in the drabble? Anyway, thanks for a beautiful little story - it really warms me on this cold day. Imhiriel

Loving a Book Lover

As the wife of a book lover, let me tell you that if Eowyn damaged the book Faramir was reading, there would be a verbal lashing plus he would ignore her as he tried to repair the damage she caused. Gently removing the book from his hands and making romantic overtures would be more effective. Showing that she cares for his precious book would endear her even more. RiverOtter

Re: Loving a Book Lover

Somehow I doubt touching the book had anything to do with Eowyn's methods... but that could be just my gutter mind at work And for the record, I also had a good laugh over this drabble! Amanda.

For Malinear

I'll be turning 24 on January 12th. I'm pretty easy to please as I'm a big fan of anything F/E-shipping. Elves are good too, especially if it involves the elves of the Grey Havens or the twins. Oooh...or something out of Dol Amroth...eek...can't decide. Surprise me Now I've finshed this, I can see my subconscious took the words "F/E-shipping" and "out of Dol Amroth" somewhat more literally than you probably intended..... Day Trip from Dol Amroth Beyond the long harbour wall, the wind picked up. Éowyn clung to the side as the dinghy leaned over. Was it meant to do that? A glance at Faramir’s absorbed, smiling face as he handled mysterious ropes to return them upright brought reassurance, and the knowledge that here was yet another task at which he was proficient. “Grandfather taught us,” he explained, putting one hand on the tiller, while his other arm drew her close. “Boromir and I used to spend summers exploring the coast.” Later, he put that childish reconnaissance to good use so he could demonstrate other skills. Happy Birthday. Cheers, Liz

Re: For Malinear

Hey, any way that you want to take "F/E-shipping" and "out of Dol Amroth" is fine by me. I love how Eowyn is a little...concerned about the dinghy. She had her horses, he had the sea. And now they have the coast. Thank you!!

Palantiri triptych for Altariel

What can I say? Those Seeing Stones really are dangerous. Lost at sea Water pushes through the ship's seams in trickles, then streams, then jets stronger than fountains in the King's garden. Wood groans and shrieks as the ice rends it. The stones do not see or hear; they are locked away in ebony caskets bound with silver. Lifted gently by the water, the boxes float, nudging a ringed hand drifting in the current. Do they call out silently, or are they dumb as well as blind? Do they sleep in the frigid water, fathoms deep, where nothing ventures but the furred seals? What does the eye of Manwe see of these things? City of the stars The stone plummeted from a vast height, yet it bears no chip nor score nor dent. The riverbed's mire broke its fall, of course, but still the glancing flight between fire and stone, earth and water left no trace on its shining curves. It watches weeds scrolling in the current, incurious fish mouthing its glossy side, black-bottomed boats sliding above. Light flares briefly in its centre, like signals from a beacon far away, if any but the fish were there to see them. Slowly it sinks as the silt settles around it. Soon it will hold no fire at all. Elostirion This stone waits alone in the white tower of Emyn Beraid, where it lay untouched for years until Gandalf came to retrieve it. An unmarked film of dust blurs its sight. The wizard cannot resist; he blows away the dull gauze and bends to look into the West. Swiftly the straight road unrolls before him. For a breath he sees another white tower far away, like a needle scratch on the horizon of a grey sea, before the vision is veiled in mist again. He sighs and takes up the stone, wrapping it carefully in silk for its last voyage.

Thanks

Thanks, Altariel and Kit – pleased you liked your shared birthday present. Thanks, AmandaK and Dwim. For the record, I don’t think she ripped a page out of his book – ‘cause I’d never forgive her for that. Lots of other possibilities though…. :

Avon, This was just wonderful! Faramir closed his book. Boromir had never tried that to distract him. Priceless. Thank you! Starlight

Dwim, I really liked "The Sleep of Stone." I think the POV was particularly effective for the way you approached the subject, and I'm really impressed at how, in a hundred words, you gave us such a neat sketch of ages of history. I like it all, but two of my favorite parts: Then the bones of the earth saw, and all the earth was seen in them. And: Pitilessly pure, their reflection—stone knows no falsehood. Thanks! Starlight

I'm sorry for responding so late; I wasn't on-line for the first week of Janurary, and then I must somehow overlooked your gift to me. You did respond to me! But, thanks anyway ;-) I hope you had a good birthday. I'm feeling so bad about this, when I'm so happy about this little story, but I'm afraid you did mix up the characters . I was afraid that would happen because I wrote it from work and I didn't have the Silm with me. However, I got the chronology from The Encyclopedia of Arda (www.glyphweb.com/arda -my life-saver when I don't have my books with me) and there they place the departure of Idril and Tuor later than the birth of Elrond and Elros. This is a quote lifted from their website, dealing with the chronology: c. 505 Deaths of Beren and Lúthien. c. 505 Assault by the Sons of Fëanor on Menegroth. Dior, Celegorm, Curufin and Caranthir are all slain. 510 Fall of Gondolin and death of Turgon. Glorfindel slays a Balrog in the Encircling Mountains, and is himself slain. c. 525 Approximate date of the birth of Elrond and Elros. c. 560 Tuor and Idril sail into the West in the ship Eärrámë. I'll go back and check the Silm for better information, and thank you for pointing it out. I can make Idril be Elwing so that the drabble is more accurate (even though I kinda grew fond of this one, unaccuracy in things chronological really bothers me too! ;-) ) Thanks for pointing this out, and thanks for your thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it despite that mistake. Cheers, Starlight

Re: Palantiri triptych for Altariel

Forodwaith, these are marvellous! Thank you, very much!

Hi Starlight I was afraid that would happen because I wrote it from work and I didn't have the Silm with me. However, I got the chronology from The Encyclopedia of Arda (www.glyphweb.com/arda -my life-saver when I don't have my books with me) and there they place the departure of Idril and Tuor later than the birth of Elrond and Elros. Dating First Age events is incredibly difficult because Tolkien produced four or five chronologies, all with slight variations, and none of them agrees completely with the Silm, because of the choices Christopher Tolkien made when trying to edit the text into a coherent narrative. Because of this, we had a big discussion over in Resources fairly recently about how to date First Age events and what order of precedence we should accord to each of the chronologies. The consensus was to give precedence to later drafts over earlier ones. Where there are discrepancies between the chronologies or with the Silm, we've tried to note them. I'm not sure which chronology the Encyclopaedia of Arda is using (does it say?), but in all of what' are believed to be Tolkien's latests drafts, Tuor and Idril depart between a year or two before Elros and Elrond are born. Anyway, you may want to check out the growing number of Events entries and increasingly detailed Bios (which also have a lot of dates) here at HASA Resources next time you're stuck for some facts. Cheers, Liz

Re: Palantiri triptych for Altariel

I'm glad you enjoyed them. I'd forgotten just how many of the Stones ended in water - I found that thought eerie & compelling as a writing prompt.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum