Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: June 2005 Birthdays - 1

June 2005 Birthdays - 1

Hey guys,

It's that time of the month again. With June just a few days away it's time to celebrate the births of those members born in this month.

Is your birthday in June? Would you like a drabble? Then post a request in this thread so other members can write you drabbles.

Birthday Drabble requesters - don't forget to add your story to the
HASA Birthday Cards workshop and enter it in the June Birthday Challenge

Birthday Drabble Writers - don't forget to add your drabbles to the recipient's story in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop

Instructions for Birthday Drabbling: complete and easy to follow instructions on the new system.

Marta

June 2 -- Gwynnyd: I was going to try and think up a very clever and unusual request, but now I don't wanna. I am stuck in a rut and so predictable. Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks!

June 7 -- Avon: I'd love (to be predictable) Aragon and Legolas friendship. Book or movieverse is fine by me. If that's not your cup of tea then how about either Boromir and Theodred or Boromir and Faramir? No slash please.

June 7 -- SallyK : My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring.

June 9 -- AmandaK: Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir.

June 14 -- Shadowed Mind: I would love (if possible) either an Erestor/Glorfindel thing, very sweet and cuddly, or something very romantic and cute about any couple?

June 16 -- Edhellana: I'm a true Gemini (split personality and all! hehehe) So if someone can do a naughty NC-17 drabble with me and the Half-elven twins (Elladan and Elrohir), I would love it....*GRINS*

June 17 -- Linaewen: I would love to see some Boromir drabbles. It's hard to narrow down what I want to something specific, since Boromir anything is just what I like -- Boromir and hobbits, Boromir and Faramir, Boromir being noble and heroic, etc. etc. But if someone is feeling adventurous, why not try giving me some pre-Ring Quest drabbles of Boromir visiting Rohan or Boromir interacting with Gandalf or even Saruman -- extra points if you can get Faramir and a non-movie!verse Denethor in there.

Re: May 2005 Babies

*squee!* Me, me! At least this year I can think of an actual subject. Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir My b'day is June 9. But since I'm going to be computerless for a large part of June (traveling to see those concerts), I might not be able to respond until much later. Amanda. P.S. Marta, I think you were still in May mood when you named this thread...

Re: May 2005 Babies

Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) Oh, fun! But why are you doing so many? Are you involved, or just a huge fan? I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir I think I can manage that. I have an idea but will have to let it germinate. P.S. Marta, I think you were still in May mood when you named this thread... I was. Sorry about that. But I have now adopted the suitable June spirit... ;) Marta

Re: June 2005 Babies

Is your birthday in June? Would you like a drabble? Yes, and yes, please. And my story is in the Birthday Cards Workshop... June 2 - Gwynnyd: I was going to try and think up a very clever and unusual request, but now I don't wanna. I am stuck in a rut and so predictable. Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks! Gwynnyd

For Amanda, 9 June

Hi Amanda You wrote: Since my June is going to be dominated by music (as in 10 Duran Duran concerts in 3 weeks, in case anyone's interested) I would like to see a drabble about music. Preferably LotR-based since I have neither read The Hobbit or the Silm. Extra points if it features a live Boromir As you won’t be around for your birthday, and as (I may as well admit it) this nuzgûl took me by the throat as soon as I thought of it, here is a double drabble as an early birthday present. There’s live Boromir (aged about 18?), a little singing, and ten words or phrases you may just recognise…. (Google is my friend. ) Night Boat: Is There Something I Should Know? It seemed a delightful proposition on a sticky afternoon in Dol Amroth: a little night fishing. But the stiff breeze off the land was chill and, if Boromir was any judge, would not for long hold back the rain from the massing clouds to the south. Still, it looked as if the catch would be good. Boromir began to sing softly, a sea-shanty. Faramir also took it up. Then Boromir heard something above their voices. He gestured for silence. Was anyone out there? With a new moon on Monday, it was as black as Berúthiel’s cats beyond the circle of lantern-light as he turned his gaze to the shore. Another glow bobbed towards them. Boromir was startled to recognise his father and uncle. “Thought we might find you out here,” Imrahil called cheerfully. Evidently amused by Boromir’s expression, he chuckled. “You’re not the first lads to go fishing in the dark. Your father was notorious for it when he was your age. Ask your grandfather some time about him and the rest of the wild boys he used to run with.” Denethor, apparently unconcerned at these revelations, was crooning the next verse of the sea-shanty as he prepared his rod. Hope you have a great birthday and enjoy the concerts! Cheers, Liz

Re: For Amanda, 9 June

Oooh, clever concept, Liz! I only recognized new moon on Monday, though I don't know what song it's from, I just remember that line...Interesting idea about Denethor running with the wild kids as a very young man. I wonder whether Denethor at 18 was the Gondor equivalent of a leather-jacketed biker rebel, and Ecthelion clamped down with too much discipline and that resulted in some of Denny's problems...Maybe AU, but it could have happened. RAKSHA THE DEMON

As you won’t be around for your birthday, and as (I may as well admit it) this nuzgûl took me by the throat as soon as I thought of it, here is a double drabble as an early birthday present. There’s live Boromir (aged about 18?), a little singing, and ten words or phrases you may just recognise…. (Google is my friend. ) Good heavens, woman! You got an album's worth of tracks in there! "Ten", indeed! But you didn't do all of it with Google, did you? *points accusing finger* Liz, you must be a closet Duran Duran fan. Admit it! This is incredible, and I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now. (And there is a certain poetic justice that you got nuzgulled into a double-drabble almost right away, after all your demands for "more". Which, BTW, reminds me of another Duran Duran song: "All She Wants Is...") To answer Raksha: the phrase New Moon on Monday is the actual song title. To answer Marta: I've been a fan for 20 years. And since they haven't toured Europe in the original line-up (which they'll do now) for even longer than that, I figured that 1 concert every 2 years on average would be reasonable. It's just happening in a very condensed time-period. (Plus, it's a very good excuse to do some sightseeing around Europe: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, Vienna, Budapest...) Amanda.

*Squeak!!!* When I was in school, we used to do this exact thing!! Write little ficlets for each other using Duran Duran lyrics! And now I don't know whether to curse Liz, or compliment her, because now I'm going to have freakin' "Planet Earth" stuck in my head all day!! Eeeep! Nice one, Liz.

For Gwynnyd's birthday. More than a drabble, but I couldn't do it in only 100 words. Hope you like it! The Hobbit and the Man Gandalf had said, “You must meet another old friend of mine, a Man, who will help me find the creature. And my dear fellow, he is just your type. You might find him a worthy advisor in your next attempt at impressing Rivendell with your poems.” Bilbo had not known many Men, aside from those in Dale and a few in Bree with whom he had passing acquaintance. Apparently this one was the Chief of the Rangers who were now, Gandalf said, vigilantly guarding the Shire from the threats of the Wild. Bilbo’s unerring nose for a story told him there was a good one here. They met in the gardens of Rivendell. Things were off to a promising start when the Man handed Bilbo a pouch of the best Longbottom Leaf. “I’ve just come from the borders of the Shire,” he said, “and I understand from Gandalf that you will enjoy this as much as I. Shall we?” So in companionable silence they lit their pipes and got up a good smoke. “I find myself at a disadvantage,” Bilbo said. “I believe that Gandalf forgot to tell me your name, or who you are, beyond being the Chief of the Rangers.” “My name is Aragorn,” he said. “As for the rest, let us put that aside for the present. Come! Tell me all about Gollum, so that I may know how to track him. Tell me everything you remember. No detail is unimportant.” Bilbo discovered that in response to the Man’s persistent questions, he remembered far more than he realized. Finally, the Man said, “Thank you. You’ve been remarkably helpful. I fear that now I must leave you,” and bowed politely before he left. It wasn’t until he had met the Dúnadan (as he discovered the Elves liked to call him) several more times that he got the answer to his question. And then he thought, really, Gandalf had gotten it backward. He wasn’t going to ask Aragorn for advice on his next poem. He was going to write it about him. --Gandalfs apprentice

Amanda wrote:But you didn't do all of it with Google, did you? *points accusing finger* Liz, you must be a closet Duran Duran fan. Admit it! Well, the only two tracks I could remember off the top of my head were "Rio" and "Girls On Film", neither of which were going to be at all useful for a Tolkien drabble. There were a few others I remembered once I checked the album track listings, but I'm afraid I have no idea what some of the ones I used sound like. This is incredible, and I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now. Woot! Desired effect achieved. (And there is a certain poetic justice that you got nuzgulled into a double-drabble almost right away, after all your demands for "more". Which, BTW, reminds me of another Duran Duran song: "All She Wants Is...") Oh hey, I can take it as well as dish it out. I get "more" thrown at me all the time by my betas. I'm guessing you saw the last beta comments, then. To answer Raksha: the phrase New Moon on Monday is the actual song title. Since Raksha spotted one, do you want to flush out the closet fans by seeing if people can identify the rest of the track names I used....? Raksha wrote: wonder whether Denethor at 18 was the Gondor equivalent of a leather-jacketed biker rebel I can certainly imagine Denethor having a rather legendary rackety summer holiday round Dol Amroth at that age, pulling off stupid stunts like climbing dangerous cliffs to impress his mates and getting rather drunk in taverns and so on.... And then getting a stern talking to by Ecthelion when he gets back to Minas Tirith. Cheers, Liz

Re: June 2005 Babies - Gwynnyd

More than a drabble, but I couldn't do it in only 100 words. Hope you like it! The Hobbit and the Man Ah! Ah! (Gwynnyd is speechless in awe and joy, bouncing up and down in her chair and grinning like a fool ) That is PERFECT!!!! Exactly how it must have happened! Thank you. Thank you. THANK YOU! I always wondered how Bilbo came to write that poem about Aragorn, and now I know. Gwynnyd

Since Raksha spotted one, do you want to flush out the closet fans by seeing if people can identify the rest of the track names I used....? I only spotted 7, including "New Moon on Monday", but if you used anything much past "Arena", I totally won't know. But I don't wanna just rattle em off and steal other people's fun, so here's just half: Night Boat Is there something I should know? Hold back the rain (Is there)Anyone out there New Moon on Monday, which Raksha already got. This really tempts me to steal your idea, Liz, but do it with lyrics instead of titles.

Re: June 2005 Babies - Gwynnyd

So glad you liked it. Happy Birthday! G.A.

Hi My birthday is the 7th June and I am a major Eowyn fan, so I would love anything about her - particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Thank you very much SallyK

I only spotted 7, including "New Moon on Monday", but if you used anything much past "Arena", I totally won't know. Points alloted for closetness! There are 3 songs that are indeed post-Arena. This really tempts me to steal your idea, Liz, but do it with lyrics instead of titles. You wouldn't hear me complaining... Amanda.

EdorasLass wrote: This really tempts me to steal your idea, Liz, but do it with lyrics instead of titles. Be my guest and steal away And much kudos for getting 7 out of the 10! Cheers, Liz

GA - loved THE HOBBIT AND THE MAN! Great concept and execution; and excellent characterization too. You even have Bilbo's thought patterns down nicely. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Thanks, Raksha. It was really quite fun to write. I have to admit that Bilbo is my favorite hobbit, Pippin a close second. G.A.

SallyK- Thanks for your request, and I think I may have an idea. Now if I can just get it written. ;) I'll add it to the post at the top of the thread. Don't forget to create a story in the workshop, so we can all add our drabbles there. Marta

Points alloted for closetness Shoot, ain't closeted, per se -- just not as verbal as Amanda. Once Rog n Andy left, my heart was just pretty much broke. *sniff*

SallyK: I am a major Éowyn fan, so I would love anything about her -- particularly if it is set after the destruction of the Ring. Hi Sally, Here's a little bit of Faramir/Éowyn fluff. (Though it's completely G-rated...) I hope it fits what you had in mind. Hidden Wonders **** "Love?" Éowyn called, stepping into the study. Faramir was not in sight. Should she search elsewhere? She saw the bookshelves along the wall. Théodred had owned a few volumes, as had Gríma, but she had never seen so many together. She crossed the room in awe and ran her finger along a cracked spine. Another's breath rustled her hair, warming her neck. She smiled. So his reputation for stealth is not exagerated! Faramir reached over her shoulder, took the book from the shelf, and led her over to the couch. Together they would discover what wonders these pages held. Marta

That's lovely, thank you very much. I love Faramir and Eowyn together, they are just perfect for each other, IMHO. SallyK ETA Oh, and I've created the story in the workshop - thank you for reminding me I needed to do that.

[message deleted]

[message deleted]

Hello! I've got a June 17 birthday coming up, and I would love to see some Boromir drabbles. It's hard to narrow down what I want to something specific, since Boromir anything is just what I like -- Boromir and hobbits, Boromir and Faramir, Boromir being noble and heroic, etc. etc. But if someone is feeling adventurous, why not try giving me some pre-Ring Quest drabbles of Boromir visiting Rohan or Boromir interacting with Gandalf or even Saruman -- extra points if you can get Faramir and a non-movie!verse Denethor in there. Thanks so much!

For Gwynnyd

Upon seeing Aragorn for the first time. Arathorn's POV My Son I am finally allowed to enter the chamber I share with my fair Gilraen. And there you lie in your mother’s arms, now clean and sleeping so peacefully. I can hardly believe that you are mine own son and I feel like the happiest man alive. And then you are in my arms and I look down at you. You are so tiny that I fear I might break you, my son. You open your eyes and I see that they are of a wonderful silver grey. Black hair and grey eyes, it is plain to see that the blood of Númenor runs strong and pure in your little veins. I wish I could hold you in my arms and never let go, I already love you so much. I cannot give you silk, velvet or sable, for us it is wool and linen and leather. In our world there are no better or lesser men, we all have to struggle for survival. That is the lot of the Dúnedain of the North in their fallen kingdom. But we do not forget who we are and where we come from. Perhaps you come to Gondor one day, the southern kingdom. There the glory of Númenor still holds sway. But for now you know no evil, no hatred or death. I wish I could keep you save from the perils out there, but I can offer you no such thing. All too soon you will be given your own sword and bow and then you will be grown up and I must take you with me out there into the wild. You will have to face Orcs, Wargs and other evil beings like so many before you. But you will overcome all dangers, toils and snares in your way; you will be brave and courageous. And thus I name you. “Aragorn, son of Arathorn he shall be called,” I am so proud as I speak your name for the first time and you smile up at me, it seems that you like your name. 'Kingly Valour' has such a noble meaning for such a tiny one. But you will grow into a fine man and for a brief moment I see what could be. Maybe it is you who restores our kingdom and bring back happiness to our people. Garo Estel Aragorn, ion-nîn. Guren pêd enni cerithach naid belig.* I whisper so softly that only you can hear me. And another heir of Isildur is born in Eriador, not Arnor. You would be the crown prince of the realm, you know. You deserve better than this, but the only thing I can promise you is that I will try to protect you with all that I have. I love you, never forget this, my son, my beautiful little Aragorn. *Have Hope Aragorn, my son. My heart tells me that you will do great things.

Birthday request

My birthday is the 7th of June and I'd love (to be predictable) Aragon and Legolas friendship. Book or movieverse is fine by me. If that's not your cup of tea then how about either Boromir and Theodred or Boromir and Faramir? No slash please. Thanks, Avon

For Avon

This is what I term a 'Blue Peter' drabble - one I made earlier. It's Legolas/Aragorn friendship - probably movie-verse, as the book doesn't suggest a prior friendship between them. Happy Birthday for the 7th! Jay Hannon Le I have rarely known such friendship as yours, my friend. We owe our lives to each other, many times over, and together have faced dangers we could not survive alone. Your friendship and companionship mean much to me, and I feel the richer for it. You fill me with laughter with your humour, your view on life, your tales, your warmth. For you I would face death; have faced death – and I know that you would do the same for me. Without you, my life would be duller, poorer, less full – and no doubt far safer. Hannon le, mellon nîn.

Hi! I know I haven't been on in a while, and I won't be on for a while (exams), but my birthday is on June 14th (I'll be 18!!!! Woohoo!) and I will try to check emails and HASA during June at some point, so I wondered if it would be too cheeky for me request a drabble? I would love (if possible) either an Erestor/Glorfindel thing, very sweet and cuddly, or something very romantic and cute about any couple? Thank you to anyone who can do this!!! SM

Re: For Gwynnyd

You would be the crown prince of the realm, you know. You deserve better than this, but the only thing I can promise you is that I will try to protect you with all that I have. wipes tears... thank you.. that is so touching. Poor Arathorn, barely living to see Aragorn learn to talk, much less seeing him grow up... I really like the way you have shown the love that father has for his new born son and al the hope that rested in Aragorn. Thank you! (and sorry for the delay in replying - I was out of town for the weekend) Gwynnyd

Re: For Avon

Thanks, Jay - that's lovely. I particularly liked this line: For you I would face death; have faced death – and I know that you would do the same for me. Avon

Hi Avon and SM, Your requests have been added to the post at the top of this thread. Thanks for requesting them. Marta

Early quad drabble for Linaewen

Happy birthday, girlfriend! “Come, little brother. Let us show these poor excuses for dancers how this is supposed to be done!” With that he grabbed Faramir’s forearm and hauled him to his feet. Faramir grinned. Both men drew their swords from their scabbards and placed them on the ground. Suddenly, stillness filled the night air. The stars themselves seemed to pause in their flight. The tension was palpable. Everyone knew this was a contest, for, though great was the love brother for brother, great also was the love of competition. The men started singing, accompanied by a slow steady clapping; they knew they were in for a treat. The brothers smiled and started circling their swords and each other. Slowly, they moved to the dance. The men’s clapping grew faster. The brothers’ feet flew, hands held high in the air one moment, then reaching for their swords in the next. The clapping spurred both brothers’ feet into faster movement. Laughter was warm upon Faramir’s face, but Boromir’s, though a smile covered it, showed deep concentration. Faramir danced much better Boromir knew, but at speed, none could match him. As the clapping got faster and stronger, shouts roared from men caught up in the excitement that was before them. Suddenly, Faramir stumbled and fell backwards. Hoots of laughter went up from the men, but a look of consternation covered Boromir’s face. He growled at the men who immediately ceased their taunting. Faramir started to get up, but Boromir was quickly at his side with his arm outstretched. “Forgive me, brother. I should have stopped moments ago.” Faramir smiled and clapped Boromir on the shoulder as he was pulled upright. “That was fun. You always did best me when the dance raised its speed, though perhaps…” “None dance as gracefully as you, little brother,” Boromir interrupted. “Any great brute can move his feet quickly. It takes skills to move them well. I am sorry!” He hugged him fiercely and with great pride. The men strode forward and pounded them both on their backs congratulating them. But then silence shattered the moment. The men quickly parted and Denethor stood before them. An embarrassed smile spread across Boromir’s face as he moved forward to greet his father. “So, I send you on patrol and what do I find?” The scowl hid the twinkle in his eye. “You won, of course?” “Only because I tripped Faramir!” Boromir grinned.

Happy birthday, Gwynnyd

Here's a double drabble for you - happens immediately after Thorongil's victory at sea... Hope you enjoy it... Choices Thorongil kicked the stone. ‘If I stay,’ he thought, ‘I will continue to damage Denethor’s place in Gondor. Ecthelion is foolish when it comes to his son. Denethor tries, does everything he can to obey him, and yet he turns to me for council. I will never earn Denethor’s trust. And trust me he must, for he will be my Steward if things come to pass as Elrond sees them.’ He sighed. ‘My heart is happy here. I love his son. I love him. And Finduilas and Indis could not be more courteous. If I leave now, if I do not return to Minas Tirith, perhaps Ecthelion will turn to Denethor and use him. This parting would be most painful. I love Minas Tirith, her people. Would I be abandoning them? No, it is more important that I not abandon Denethor. The longer I stay in Gondor, the deeper grows Ecthelion’s attachment to me, the deeper grows the rift between Denethor and myself. I cannot let this continue. How will I tell them? No, there is nothing to say. I will leave a note and go. Bitter is this time.’ He kicked another stone. ‘This is not what I planned.’

Re: Happy birthday, Gwynnyd

Here's a double drabble for you - happens immediately after Thorongil's victory at sea... Hope you enjoy it... Agape! Very nice! I can see Aragorn going to Gondor and hoping they could accept him as king... but leaving so as not to foment problems. Thank you! Gwynnyd

For Gwynnyd, 2 June

Gwynnyd said Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar But Carol, the man has at least twelve names…. (Which is partly why these are only half-drabbles!) (Some are canon, some are quasi-canon, and some you may recognise as Gwynnyd-verse or based on our discussions. They're in chronological order, btw. And thank you to Marta for beta-ing them.) Aragorn They debated many choices, for a name may seal a child’s fate. Did Arathorn settle on this one because, now more than ever, valour was needed? So great a title for one so small! Gilraen, nursing her son, called on the Valar to grant him time to grow into it. Elessar “I name him Aragorn!” A roar of approval rose from the gathered court. At Gilraen’s side, her mother gasped. Turning, Gilraen recognised the signs; a moment of fear gripped her. Then Ivorwen spoke: a green stone, healing, renewal. I beg you speak true, mother, and my son will know peace. Dúnadan Long had he known he was a Dúnadan: aware one day he was no elf-child; dark-haired, grey-eyed; even, he learnt, with some measure of royal blood from his mother. Yet his father remained a mystery: a Ranger; my true love was all she would say. He reeled at Elrond’s words. Thorongil “What shall I call myself?” the young man asked anxiously. “Neither Aragorn nor Estel will do!” “No, indeed.” Gandalf pondered. “Hmmm, what did old Bill Butterburr at the Pony say after you routed those cheating gamblers out for him? An eagle with a star, that was it! Will Thorongil suit?” Strider The Pony serves all sorts, but those Rangers are stranger than most. This one – never did get his right name – would nurse a single pint all evening, listening, watching, but nary a word. They teased him once about striding around on those long legs o’ his and seems it stuck. Estel Hope, we called him: hope for the future, ours and his. But the world grows ever darker, while my son cherishes a hope that is akin to folly. I shall not live to see the line of kings renewed, nor even know the joy of a grandchild in my arms. Longshanks Bilbo wasn’t surprised he first met Aragorn by tripping over his legs. He was used to tall Men, but when the Man lounging on the path-side seat helped dust him down, he seemed taller than any Bilbo had known. ”Some do call me Longshanks,” the Man conceded with a grin. Elfstone ’Twas not much at first sight, that green jewel. Why, Lady Finduilas went decked in finer things, and not just on high-days. It was like the kingsfoil, maybe, or the Lord Elfstone himself: none too polished, scarce seeming worth a second glance. And yet no one could ask for better. Telcontar “You know the king well?” Faramir asked cautiously. Merry nodded. “As well as most.” “Does he enjoy a jest?” “Jest?” “He writes of the name he takes as king, but I think he jests.” Faramir paused before hazarding, “Footsoldier? Walker? Marcher?” Merry frowned. Then he laughed. “Oh, you mean Strider…?” Stick-at-Naught “I should warn you they called me Stick-at-Naught Strider.” He brushed a lock of hair from her face. “Perhaps you will find me easily distracted, lacking stamina….” Arwen gave a helpless gasp as he gently drew a finger along the neckline of her wedding gown. “I trust not,” she murmured. Envinyatar Aragorn carefully cradled the small bundle in his arms. Arwen had rained many blessings on him since first they met in Rivendell’s woods, but this was the greatest. Gazing on the son who would carry the world into a new age, he knew himself at last to be the Renewer. Wingfoot “Beat you, beat you!” Eldarion’s childish tones rang out across the field as he touched the tree a moment before his father. Éomer, newly arrived, sent Elfwinë down to join his friend. When Aragorn, still breathless, joined him, Éomer remarked caustically, “I see you no longer deserve the title Wingfoot.” Happy Birthday! Cheers, Liz

June 2 -- Gwynnyd: Give me Aragorn/Thorongil/Estel/Elessar in any way, shape, or form. Show him being silly, or lover-ly, or noble, or confronting some unusual experience, or meeting someone, or... well, anything. Thanks! Here's Aragorn, being very much in love but I hope still acting suitably Aragorn-ish. Enjoy! Marta (PS- will post to your workshop story, too. ) Burden Shared ***** Long have I felt the weight of Barahir's ring. I have borne that burden, and that of Isildur's legacy, since Elrond revealed my heritage to me nigh three decades ago. Now she stands before me: my love, my life, my Úndomiel. She grasps my rough hands in her soft ones. A simple silver band rests where none lay before, balancing the weight of destiny. Long years may pass before this trothplighting becomes yet more; until that day, I shall remember this midsummer. Winter winds may yet bite, but I shall recall her hands' warmth. Joy now intermingles with toil.

Re: For Gwynnyd, 2 June

Ooh, lots of yummy drabbles! Agape - loved the Sword Dance (which could be its title) piece; and, even more, Thorongil's post-victory introspection. Marta - a touching interlude with Aragorn and Arwen. Liz - oh, wow. All those nifty little demi-drabbles, each one for one of the big guy's many names! Terrific stuff (had to giggle over dear Faramir trying to figure out his legendary King's Ranger nickname). I personally think that 'ol Wingfoot let his son win, though. RAKSHA THE DEMON

Marta - a touching interlude with Aragorn and Arwen. Thanks, Raksha, I'm glad you liked it. I love pulling details from canon, like the Ring of Barahir as opposed to an Elven engagement ring, and playing them for all they're worth. Marta

All those nifty little demi-drabbles, each one for one of the big guy's many names! Terrific stuff (had to giggle over dear Faramir trying to figure out his legendary King's Ranger nickname). I personally think that 'ol Wingfoot let his son win, though. Thanks Raksha. I can just imagine Faramir getting the letter in which Aragorn tells him he wants to be crowned as Elessar Telcontar and going "what the...? Telcontar? What kind of name is that for a king?" And yes, of course 'ol Wingfoot let his son win. (While I think poor Elfwinë is going to be 15 or 16 before he gets anywhere near beating his dad...) Cheers, Liz

Is your birthday in June? Would you like a drabble? Then post a request in this thread so other members can write you drabbles. yes and YES! My birthday is June 16th, and the day after it I will be attending the Santa Barbara Writers Conference, having flown in all the way from Western Australia!!! I'm a true Gemini (split personality and all! hehehe) So if someone can do a naughty NC-17 drabble with me and the Half-elven twins (Elladan and Elrohir), I would love it....*GRINS* Sorry Legolas, I'll get back to you after I do the twin thing....*winks*

I loved the name drabbles, Liz! Amazing how people's names (and especially, Tolkien names) tell stories of their own. I loved reading about each of the names and the situations that relate to them. They were all lovely! My favorites, however, will have to be Telcontar and Stick-at-naught... Starlight

And yes, of course 'ol Wingfoot let his son win. (While I think poor Elfwinë is going to be 15 or 16 before he gets anywhere near beating his dad...) Not to be greedy or demanding or anything... but... will you ever write that drabble? Please? Starlight

Burden Shared was very nice, Marta. I particularly loved the symbolism of the rings, both Barahir's, and Arwen's, and what they mean in both contexts. Very subtle and well-done! Starlight

Choices was a beautiful drabble, Agape. I love the reasoning behind Aragorn's leaving Minas Tirith, and I love him kicking stones while thinking. Nice characterization for a younger Thorongil! Starlight

But Carol, the man has at least twelve names…. (Which is partly why these are only half-drabbles!) Oh, my! OMG! 12 names! Liz, these are marvelous! I love the way you've shown both the humanity and the humor in my favorite man. Aragorn becomes a very real person in your capable hands. I cannot choose a favorite! Although, maybe, the Stick-at-Naught one will be the one I remember most fondly. It was a definite 'laugh out loud' moment. Stick-at-Naught? Yeah, right, sixty-eight years of love so far. Stamina? Snork - the man who ran through Rohan? I still have a huge grin on my face and it will probably be there for the rest of the week at least. Thank you! Gwynnyd

Here's Aragorn, being very much in love but I hope still acting suitably Aragorn-ish. I am such a shameless romantic and you keep feeding my obsessions! Thank you, Marta, for this lovely drabble. 'Joy intermingling with toil' is such a perfect image. Gwynnyd

Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd!

It was so hard to settle on just one moment, Gwynnyd! There is so much to say about this man, and I feel very incompetent after all the wonderful drabbles you've already received. (Guys, they've all been beautiful!) This one is not either happy nor sad, but it is does present one of my favorite questions about Estel's younger years: how were those years like, being fostered in Rivendell? Did he never have any questions about his ancestry? He had to somehow know that he wasn't Elrond's son, but how could they tell him he was Arathorn's without risking the betrayal of his heritage's secret? And that brings forth even more questions: What did Gilraen think? How did they all deal with Estel's possible/impending questions? And, whenever he saw the Dúnedain, or they saw him, how did they keep them from dropping hints? All very confusing, but also very fun to think about. Hope you have a wonderful birthday, and here's sending you best wishes for a happy and successful year. Cheers, Starlight *** Blunder ‘Why so pensive, little brother?’ ‘There is a man called Arathorn. A Dúnadan.’ Elrohir frowned, nodded. Estel continued. ‘Mother’s guest said I have his eyes.’ Elrohir’s throat tightened. Moments like these made him wish he had his brother’s fortitude. Thank Elbereth poor Tarondor had picked the one physical trait he could easily disregard. ‘Both Dúnedain and Elves have grey eyes.’ Estel needn’t know Tarondor spoke not of coloring. ‘True. He said I laughed like him. Mother was upset.’ As am I! ‘What make you of it?’ ‘He must be a pleasant fellow,’ Estel replied, a strange gleam in his eyes.

Re: Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd!

it is does present one of my favorite questions about Estel's younger years: how were those years like, being fostered in Rivendell? Did he never have any questions about his ancestry? He had to somehow know that he wasn't Elrond's son, but how could they tell him he was Arathorn's without risking the betrayal of his heritage's secret? And that brings forth even more questions: What did Gilraen think? How did they all deal with Estel's possible/impending questions? And, whenever he saw the Dúnedain, or they saw him, how did they keep them from dropping hints? Good questions. I love to speculate about the answers! Poor Elrohir! A definite "loose lips, sink ships" moment for him and a very intelligent Estel to make the connections. Hey! I've got about 17,000 words of speculation on that topic in an interminable and stalled WIP... wanna be a beta for it? Maybe you can jump start the next chapter for me while I work on *your* present! So nice to see that I'm not the only one who has ideas about what Estel probably 'really' thought about who he is. Thank you for such a nice drabble on a topic near and dear to my heart! Gwynnyd

Gwynnyd wrote: I love the way you've shown both the humanity and the humor in my favorite man. Aragorn becomes a very real person in your capable hands. Coming from you, that is a compliment! Although, maybe, the Stick-at-Naught one will be the one I remember most fondly. It was a definite 'laugh out loud' moment. Stick-at-Naught? Yeah, right, sixty-eight years of love so far. Stamina? Snork - the man who ran through Rohan? I'm so glad you liked that one. I suspect Aragorn is just a little bit nervous..... I still have a huge grin on my face and it will probably be there for the rest of the week at least. Woot! Starlight wrote: Not to be greedy or demanding or anything.... No, of course not ... but... will you ever write that drabble? Please? *sigh* Maybe. I think Eomer as "competitive dad" would be very funny. And I liked Blunder very much! Cheers, Liz Edit And I meant to comment on this from Gywnnyd: Hey! I've got about 17,000 words of speculation on that topic in an interminable and stalled WIP... wanna be a beta for it? Maybe you can jump start the next chapter for me while I work on *your* present! Yes, yes, yes! Please find a way to jumpstart this wonderful story. I've tried cajoling, flattering, bribing and threatening... Finish it, dammit, finish it!!

For Gwynnyd

Hi Gwynnyd! This drabble resulted from the insta-drabbling session tonight, but you left early (for a good reason) and you didn't get to see my gift to you. Aragorn - just like you wanted - only a slightly smaller version... I hope you enjoy! ~*~ The Gift Little Estel tried to see what Elrohir was working on, but no matter how hard he tried, the Elf always managed to shift away. Finally he sat up, a small trinket in his hand. “There,” he announced, “It’s completed!” “ ‘Ro,” Estel cried, “Let me see it!” Elrohir laughed and handed over the object. “Here, my little Hope, a gift to you on your birthday.” It was a beautiful flower, intricately carved from wood. Estel’s eyes lit up. “Thank you, ‘Ro!” he exclaimed breathlessly. Elrohir smiled tenderly down at him, and they shared a long hug – a hug between brothers. ~*~ Have a very happy birthday! ~Nienna

For Linaewen

Here's some Boromir for ya! Have a great birthday! Bad Morning He wished for just a more few moments of sleep. But it was his watch, and Aragorn should not have to stand in the unfriendly weather any longer than necessary. Boromir left the haven of his bedroll with little enthusiasm, squinting as the drizzling rain abruptly became a steady downpour. He pulled the hood of his cape over his head,making his way toward where he knew Aragorn stood. Yawning hugely, he tripped in a small ditch and nearly fell to the muddy ground. Boromir cursed silently. He could tell it was going to be another one of those days.

For Avon

Ok, this is probably not exactly what you had in mind, but the idea just made me giggle, so consider it wildly A/U if you want. Happy Birthday! Shortcut “Legolas.” The Elf turned to see Aragorn gesturing for him to approach. “Is something amiss?” Legolas asked, wondering at the strange expression on the Ranger’s face. Aragorn glanced around, to make certain none of the others could overhear. “Do you know where we are?” Legolas blinked in surprise. “What?” “Do you know this place?” Legolas stared at his friend. “Aragorn -- are you lost?” “No!” Aragorn denied it vehemently. “I’m not ‘lost’. I’m just -- not sure we made the correct turn back there. Nothing looks familiar.” Legolas stared a moment longer, then, out of politeness, looked around the forest himself and came to a realization. “Er…..Aragorn?” “Well?” “I’m not sure we made the right turn, either.”

SallyK!

Help! I've started drabbling and I can't stop! Ok, this one's more than a true drabble. But the point still stands. Happy Birthday, Sally! Different “She’s moved that tapestry.” “Has she? I didn’t notice.” “And the cushion on the throne is new.” “The old one was thin, threadbare, and filthy, Éowyn.” “And you are not using Morwen’s candelabra.” “No, we are using the one which was given to us by the King and Queen of Gondor, Éowyn.” “And those are not Mother’s --” “Éowyn!” Éomer finally burst out, exasperated. “Must you continue to find fault in everything Lothíriel has done? I thought you liked her.” Éowyn had the grace to look faintly ashamed. “I do,” she admitted, casting a critical eye around the Golden Hall. “She is a lovely girl. It all just looks so -- different.” Eomer took his sister’s hand. “It is different,” he reminded her, though his voice was not without sympathy. “But is that not a good thing?” She started to speak, then was distracted by her husband’s voice as he entered the Hall. “Yes,” she said softly, smiling at Faramir as he made his way toward them. “It is a good thing.”

Again, more than a drabble. And another with no title yet. *sigh* Have a great birthday, Gwynnyd! Aragorn did not want to tell Bilbo, but he had to be told, and Gandalf was otherwise occupied. So he took the elderly Hobbit aside, and broke the news as gently as he could. “But will he live?” Bilbo asked as he wiped his tears with an enormous handkerchief. “Surely Elrond be able to save him?” Aragorn was silent for a long moment. “Elrond’s healing skills are great,” he said at length, “but I cannot say ‘yes’and give you false hope, Bilbo. In truth, I do not know if even Elrond has the power to save Frodo. A Morgul blade is a terrible weapon.” Bilbo’s face paled, then, unexpectedly, he reached out and grasped the Ranger’s hand. “I know that you did what you could, Dúnadan. Do not blame yourself for happens next, if it be ill.” Aragorn pressed Bilbo’s hand in return, hoping fervently that he would not have need to take that advice. But if Elrond could not help Frodo, then no-one could. And if an evil fate befell Frodo, Aragorn had already determined to carry out the task himself.

Happy Birthday, Gwynnyd!

Hi Gwynnyd, I wish you again a very happy birthday and I hope you had a wonderful evening. I am happy to say that I managed to finish your present after you had gone! But... it was not happy with staying a drabble. It's a quibble. Exactly 500 words about Aragorn and Arwen and very fluffy and flowery. Happy birthday! Yours Juno
Blossom Child She sat back on her heels and looked at the bed of flowers in front of her. She nodded to herself. It had been a hard day’s work, but it had certainly been worth it. In fact, she was quite pleased with the results. She had completed a difficult arrangement of flowers that would bloom all year round, in abundant circles of blossoms that held a very special meaning among her people. Suddenly she felt her husband behind her. She looked up into a smile that was as warm as the summer-sun and made her blossom as surely as her flowers. “Your face is dirty, melethril nîn! In fact, you are completely covered with earth and mud,” Aragorn said and got down on his knees beside her. He pulled out a silken kerchief and began to gently rub at her mud-streaked cheeks. “Even your nose!” Mischievously she tossed her head against his hand and the bit of silken fabric. He tried to hold her still, but she squirmed away from him. Somehow he lost track of his original intent and instead of cleaning Arwen’s face they ended up rolling in the loose soil, kissing and laughing and kissing again. After a while, they came up for breath, leaning into each other, relaxing arm in arm, now both of them thoroughly muddy, but also thoroughly happy. “Would you share with me why your flowers have to be arranged just like that? And by your hands only?” His breath tickled her sensitive ear. She convulsed against him, giggling and panting a little. She shoved him away in a playful manner. “You really ought to know at least that little bit about the art of gardening! Didn’t you grow up in Imladris? Don’t you count the best gardener of the Shire among your friends?” “Ummm…” Looking for an easy way out of a compromising situation, Aragorn tried to get at her ear again, but she evaded him easily. In the end he sat up, sighed and proceeded to take a closer look at the flowers, the way she wanted him to. He sighed. Flower arrangement and gardening was a subtle art among the Firstborn. “I see circles?” His wife nodded encouragingly. “Seven circles?” “Indeed!” That earned him a kiss. Encouraged by this sweet, if slightly crumbly and earthy tasting praise, he tried another guess. “The colours… are they of any special significance?” “The wisdom of a king!” Was her gently teasing reply. “Yes, seven circles and seven colours – and they will bloom all year round, in seven circles and seven colours. And what they signify? That is simple: we call that arrangement ‘estel lilótea’. Or in Westron – ‘hope of many blossoms’.” He stared at her, his mind slowly making sense of what she wanted to tell him. And suddenly he knew! He gathered her in his embrace and placed his hand on her stomach. “Of many blossoms, is it?” Arwen only turned her face up to her husband and the summer-sun and smiled.

Re: For Avon - Edoraslass

Oh that was great! It made me laugh and I really needed that tonight. Thank you! Avon

Tanaqui wrote: And I meant to comment on this from Gywnnyd: Hey! I've got about 17,000 words of speculation on that topic in an interminable and stalled WIP... wanna be a beta for it? Maybe you can jump start the next chapter for me while I work on *your* present! Yes, yes, yes! Please find a way to jumpstart this wonderful story. I've tried cajoling, flattering, bribing and threatening... Oh, I'd love to! When can I start? Is it along the lines of Not Without Hope? *squeals in excitement* Finish it, dammit, finish it!! Ditto, Liz! I'm so glad you both liked the drabble. How was the birthday? Hope it was great. Cheers, Starlight

Shortcut was awesome, EdorasLass! Such a fun way to start the day. Now I feel the need to turn it into a cartoon. It would be so funny... THanks! Starlight

Nienna, what a cute moment to portray! I wonder if Elladan and Elrohir developed similar relationships with the rest of the Chieftains fostered at Rivendell. My feeling is they probably did. It must have been so hard for them to lose them all so untimely. Thanks, Starlight

Re: SallyK!

I *loved* Differend! Oh, I loved it! It feels so in character to me! By now you probably know I just love Eomer and Lothiriel together, but this was wonderful. What a lovely, domestic moment to choose, and how well it lets you sketch all the characters' personalities. I loved it! Thanks! Starlight

Juno, Blossom Child was beautiful. What a nice way to break the news to Aragorn, too! Very beautiful. Thanks! Starlight

Aragorn - just like you wanted - only a slightly smaller version... I hope you enjoy! Oh, I LIKE little Estel! And having Elrohir as a carver is wonderful and also how I see him. Thank you! Gwynnyd

And if an evil fate befell Frodo, Aragorn had already determined to carry out the task himself. Ohh, spooky!!!! I remember how they thought what a great and terrible lord Aragorn would have been if he took the Ring. Do you think he could have carried it without wielding it? And Bilbo's interaction with Aragorn sounds so right. Thank you! Gwynnyd

It's a quibble. Exactly 500 words about Aragorn and Arwen and very fluffy and flowery. Snork! I can hardly object to 400 additional wonderful words about Aragorn and Arwen! I may be totally spoiled by the time I read all these excellent romantic drabbles-and-more and spend the rest of the month writing fluff and kisses. I love the idea of seven circles of flowers in different colors. And what a nice way to tell, well, hint, that she's pregnant. Awwww...... that's so sweet. Thank you! Gwynnyd

Oops--posted in the wrong thread. Now in new one. G.A.

yes and YES! My birthday is June 16th, and the day after it I will be attending the Santa Barbara Writers Conference, having flown in all the way from Western Australia!!! Edhelanna, I'm so sorry, I completely forgot to post your request at the top of this thread. It's done now, and I've asked RiverOtter to do the same thing with the June Babies 2 thread. I'd love to write you something myself, but I just can't handle incest. I can read it and on rare occasions enjoy it, but there's just something about me -- my muses simply refuse to go that way. Would you settle for a non-romantic drabble? An Elrohir-and-Elladan friendship drabble, or one where they're battling Orcs, or the two of them with Arathorn, or Estel... you get the picture. If you'd really rather have romance, I would be glad to write a piece about Elrohir or Elladan, and another elf of your choosing. Anyone except Elrond or Arwen of course. I just got the most sexy mental image of Elrohir and Glorfindel, but that may not be your cup of Earl Grey.

Re: For Linaewen

Thanks so much for this lovely drabble -- I can see it all, the squinting, the yawning, the tripping and the cursing, hehe! It's sweet of him to be so honorable about taking his turn at the watch, but that doesn't mean he has to be exactly gracious about it! *happy sigh* Lin

Re: Early quad drabble for Linaewen

Thanks so much, girlfriend -- you know what I like to see in a Boromir drabble! Brothers grinning and enjoying themselves, with fierce hugs and loving pride between them. And Denethor hiding a twinkle with a scowl -- squeeeeeeee! *another happy sigh* Lin

My birthday was in June and I was sort of AWOL at the time. I hope it's okay to request a birthday drabble or two so late. I remember fondly how last year's presents made my day so special. So, better late than never! My birthday was June 13th.

Of course, I'd like anything Legolas (no slash please). Or failing that, anything with Thranduil or Glorfindel would do. Maybe someone can combine all three?! My muse has been hiding for a long time and I need some inspiration to bring him out!

~ Lady Aranel~

Hi Lady Aranel, just wanted you to know I will try to write something for you soon. RL has me in chains at present, (biggest thing being a daughter's wedding this weekend!)  but things should improve soon and I'm looking forward to having a bit of time for writing again.

Ithildin  *( 

Re: June 2005 Babies - Extremely Late for Shadowed Mind

Howdy Shadowed Mind....

Well, birthdays ain't over 'til the last drabble's sung...so I guess you just have to keep going with yours. At least until you read this message. LOL

I couldn't get the couple you wanted but I did get the romantic and cute about any couple. Hope that's okay...

Cheers and happy day to you!

Vistula

~~~~

Hope Blooms Eternal

Sam loved the morning. Even in the darkness of Bag End he could feel it seeping into his heart like the press of love that lay beside him. Gently he eased a tangle of tawny curls from his shoulder. Rosie shifted and tucked an arm across her swollen middle.

For a moment, Sam paused. Sliding a cautious hand over the life that bloomed inside her belly he smiled, feeling under his palm the promise of life that her taut flesh contained. His heart filled near to bursting with sweet anticipation.

Silently, he greeted both child and dawn with a smile.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum