Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 2

July 2006 Birthdays, Take 2

Welcome to all. The wheel of time turns and half the year is vanished like dust in the wind.

If you have a July birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the workshop, put your story in it, and enter the July challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

RiverOtter
2nd, TariElfLady : I would love to receive anything about
Legolas.

4th, Teleri: For a drabble, I love anything, but I would greatly enjoy a piece dealing with Arwen and the effects of mortality.

9th, Rous: I did not remember to ask for stories for my birthday. If anyone cares to write one, I like elves. However, I will read anything. (Yeah, I am that desperate.) Any rating.

12th, Marta: I want stories on quests and journeys. Give me your favourite character(s) getting ready to leave for a journey. Or wanting to take one. Or about to say good-bye to someone else who's about to leave. Or welcoming someone for the first time, after a long absence. Anything like that. I like my drabbles canon-based but a bit obscure, and if you can manage Harad and/or Doriath, I will be doubly pleased.

18th, Mirwen Amruniel" So... request time: Predictably, knowing me as you guys do, I would like anything pervy and elfy (read: Legolas. Legolas at a workout? Legolas at workout in leather?? Legolas in leather, working out and bare-chested?! GAH... down, Cheryl down.). I'll drool at A/L slash too. lol.

25th, Vilwarin: I wish for Aragorn. It can either be with Halbarad (I find slash quite acceptable this year), any other ranger or with Arwen. I feel quite a bit naughty this year, so the rating may go up to adult, both with slash or het ;) But it need not be, I find everything acceptable.

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 2

From the 1st thread, Agape's

Oliphants and String

Agape, this is wonderful. You capture well how torn the grandmother must have been between her love for her grand-son, and her responsibilty for her community. It's clear to see that Sméagol did have his lovable side, and that it already shows signs now of disappearing under the influence of the Ring.

Please check your spelling: it's Déagol & Sméagol.

Imhiriel

Thanks Imhiriel - I'm changing the spelling but just don't have the time to place the little accents over - also, I misspelled smial... so I'm changing that too.

I had to good time with this.... my precious!

Happy belated birthday to Teleri!

Teleri's request is in the other thread--she wanted something about Arwen and mortality. I've been trying to get at this for the LACE piece I said I'd write. Alas, it's being... recalcitrant. But this is the heart of it, I think. Hope it suits, Teleri!

Dwim

Life Lessons

She'd imagined the pains of old age would sorely try her. That stiff joints and a body heavy with years would make life joyless, that the mirror would become a trial. The years pass.

He grows grey; burdens etch themselves upon his brow. But Arwen remains unmarked; the mirror is indeed a torment that teaches the truth of mortality: that bodies go their own way, whatever will desires. And so she veils herself. Aragorn teases her at first, then cajoles, argues, finally grows quiet. And in the new loneliness that's crept into their looks, she tastes the bitterness of dying.

Re: Happy belated birthday to Teleri!

Thank you very much, Dwimordene. Your drabble was amazing.

You're very welcome! Is there a card entry in the HASA Birthday Cards workshop so I can deposit the drabble there?

Dwim

Life Lessons

What I like best about the drabble is the reverse of known action of veiling oneself in front of a mirror, not wanting to be seen. Usually, it's because you're aging, here in this case, it's because Arwen does not. Very effective; also the use of "bitterness" in remembrance of the quote "bitterness of mortality".

Imhiriel

For Rous - sorry I'm late with this!

Yearning

'Tis the middle of Laer and the sun is hot; I have taken to hiding in the pools near my father's home. My mother, I am told, created these pools to help ease the effects of the scorching heat upon her children.  My body leans against the confining walls. To have known her. Even now, I have only the memories that my father passes along to me. Some sense of her fëa that still dwells within him. I want more. I want to touch her. To speak her name. No, in truth, I want her to speak my name. Legolas.

Re: Happy Belated Birthday Marta

Hello Marta,

Happy belated birthday to you!! Hope it was a great one.

For you, a bit of Sam, a journey and a vague reference to Harad.

Cheers,

Vistula

No Small Journeys

"Let's see. Fire lighin' stone, fresh han'kerchief, bits o' cheese, bread…"

Sam hovered over his knapsack stowing a bountiful cargo while ticking off items in his head.

"Water bottle. Needle 'n' thread. Couple o' candle stubs."

Brow furrowed with concentration, he weighed each item against available space and possible need. Some were discarded, only to be grabbed a moment later to fill a forgotten corner or pocket.

In the doorway an impatient figure loomed. "Get moving lad, we're walking to
Tuckborough not them wilds of Harad Master Bilbo talks of!"

Hefting the brimming pack Samwise grinned finally satisfied.

"Coming da!"

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 2http://www.henneth-annun.net//images/smilies/smile.gif

Such a wonderful glimpse into the pain of a child who has never known his mother.  It makes me almost like Legolas.    Do not worry about being late, I posted the request late.  I am just happy to get one.  Thank you so much. 

Rous 

2nd, TariElfLady : I would love to receive anything about
Legolas.

18th, Mirwen Amruniel" So... request time: Predictably, knowing me as you guys do, I would like anything pervy and elfy (read: Legolas. Legolas at a workout? Legolas at workout in leather?? Legolas in leather, working out and bare-chested?! GAH... down, Cheryl down.). I'll drool at A/L slash too. lol.

25th, Vilwarin: I wish for Aragorn. It can either be with Halbarad (I find slash quite acceptable this year), any other ranger or with Arwen. I feel quite a bit naughty this year, so the rating may go up to adult, both with slash or het ;) But it need not be, I find everything acceptable.

I Swear these came seperately, but Legolas made me present them this way.

Ranger1

Thinking

Legolas knew he would be attracted to Arwen, Luthien’s great-great-granddaughter and her equal in beauty. What surprised him was his intense interest in the Man. He had never seen one so close before and his father called them untrustworthy, but this one was oddly compelling.

Later, his eldest companion, the one who knew him best, looked at him sternly and said, “Remember Aperduion.”
“That was in Eastern Mirkwood, besides he is now married.”
“Be serious! You cannot get into the same trouble here!”
“You Mean Aragorn may be interested?”
The elder turned away and growled. Legolas turned away and smiled.

Visioning

“Look, here come some of our visitors.”

Arwen and her maidens stopped and watched as the warriors from Mirkwood ran by led by their young prince. He was shirtless, hair flying, chest rippling and glistening with effort. The Rivendell Elf-maidens watched him race, untroubled by impure thoughts, in fact they fully enjoyed them.

Then Arwen saw another watching the Elf-men and it brought a wicked smile to her face. As sure as she was of Aragorn’s love for her, she was also sure of his appetites. She would have the jealous pleasure of keeping him away from this beautiful Elf.

Having

Arwen and Aragorn lay on the bed, clothing mostly on but resting after using fingers on each other in ways Elrond would not approve. The anger between them from pure jealousy gone.

He smiled at her and said, “Let’s not ever fight over someone else again, it is not worth it.”

“Yes,” she replied dreamily, “we must always swear to work it out as successfully as we worked on this.”

They rolled into each other’s arms and kissed passionately to seal the agreement. Failing elbows poked below them and a male voice said “Ow!”

“Sorry Legolas” they said in chorus.

Ranger1:

You MUST make a stand-alone story out of this priceless trio. And enter it in the Culture and Sexuality challenge!

Gandalfs apprentice 

Ranger1:

I loved this - even though I am not a Legolas fan at all - it was very funny. Especially the last one:

resting after using fingers on each other in ways Elrond would not approve

That is naughty! I think 'not approving' is an understatement here! Hehe

Failing elbows poked below them and a male voice said "Ow!"

"Sorry Legolas" they said in chorus.

A threesome! Ai, how wonderfully handled!

Dwim:

I loved your dabble 'life lessons', this is such a diiferent angle to view the matter. There is a prospecive challenge 'mortality'. Perhaps you want to have a look at it.

~Vilwarin

You MUST make a stand-alone story out of this priceless trio. And enter it in the Culture and Sexuality challenge!

*nods*

That was very cute!

Gwynnyd 

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Take 2http://www.henneth-annun.net//images/smilies/smile.gif

I didn't know you and Legolas were not on speaking terms. You asked for Elves - Legolas responded.  I'm glad it might have brought you two closer - As I said, he was the one who responded - perhaps a first step?

These were fun, Ranger1, and I loved the progression... delightful ending!

There is a prospecive challenge 'mortality'. Perhaps you want to have a look at it.

Awww, I see the new nuzgûl-flingers are moving immediately into action...

Glad you liked the drabble, Vil!

Dwim

Re: Happy Belated Birthday Marta

Vistula,

I can just imagine a young Sam carrying a pack bigger than he is after reading this.

Dwim

Imhiriel,

What I like best about the drabble is the reverse of known action of veiling oneself in front of a mirror, not wanting to be seen. Usually, it's because you're aging, here in this case, it's because Arwen does not.

Thanks! I had fun playing with that reversal of expectation.

Dwim

Ranger1—these are priceless! You must post the three as a story, their reputation is only growing by word of mouth at the moment (tucked away as they are in the Birthday forum). I would have missed them entirely if a friend hadn't sent me an email advising me: "You've got to read this!" Speaking of appropriate challenge entries, might fit the "LaCE" challenge as well. Loved the line: "Elf-maidens watched him race, untroubled by impure thoughts," Sounds like LaCE "canon" to me.

Oshun

One more for Marta

Sorry, Marta -- my drabble muse seems to be very tardy these days, but at least she finally came through.

The Fenced Land

It was the longest journey of his life. Yet Beren never knew how many days it endured; he saw no sun or moon, only the unchanging dim twilight of magic. Pursued by snarling shadows, he stumbled through a ceaseless misery of sucking mire and grasping thorns.

A twisted root toppled him headfirst to the ground. He lay waiting for death, until a whisper of air breathed against his cheek. When he lifted his head and saw the stars through dappled leaves, it was a deliverance almost as great as his first sight of Luthien dancing with flowers in her hair.

---

(I hear grad school is almost as tough...)

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Mirwen Amruniel

Missed being on time by only a couple of hours (in my time zone anyway).

It's rather silly, but I hope you like it.  Enjoy!

Adverbial Accomplices 

Legolas lazily dropped his quiver onto the grass.
Legolas eagerly shed his bow.
Legolas gracefully unbuttoned his soft leather vest.
Legolas openly enjoyed his surroundings.
Legolas lustily removed his shirt, heedless of the strained seams and popped buttons
Legolas artlessly suggested they would be more comfortable completely naked.
Legolas speedily stripped off his trousers.

Legolas industriously investigated his partner.
Legolas strongly admired the magnificent scenery.

Legolas honestly asked for nothing more than to be where he was.
Legolas obligingly lay still, though he could not repress wiggles and moans.
Legolas tardily removed his breechclout.
Legolas truly enjoyed the day's activities.

Happy Birthday!

Gwynnyd 

Re: One more for Marta

The Fenced Land

Did you find your inspiration in the brief discussion lately on HA about Beren's wanderings?

This was wonderful - very vivid! The gloom and danger of the landscape and Beren's lonely misery comes through very clearly. I was almost tempted to look down to check if my feet weren't entangled in roots or a mire . It's hard to pick a favourite line, but I think mine would be this one:

Yet Beren never knew how many days it endured; he saw no sun or moon, only the unchanging dim twilight of magic.

(although I do wonder about your use of "it" - shouldn't it be "he" in conjunction with "endured"; or "it" in conjunction with "lasted"?)

Imhiriel

Gorgeous, Forodwaith!

although I do wonder about your use of "it" - shouldn't it be "he" in conjunction with "endured"; or "it" in conjunction with "lasted"?

"It" refers to "journey" in the previous sentence, actually. If the reference were to Beren, you'd be right.

Dwim

Edit: Is there a font tag left open somewhere?

I had to giggle over the 'font tag' question, Dwim - I thought folks were still talking about the Elf and his cloth!  *giggles furiously*

Re: Happy Birthday, HASA

I like how "redecorating" gets slipped in there, Raksha! A long journey to release, but it seems that being a father himself lets Faramir lay Denethor to rest at last.

Dwim>>>

Thanx, Dwim. I've been longing to have somebody redecorate Denethor's apartments ever since I read a story by Tanaqui where newlyweds Faramir and Eowyn moved into the shrouded, gloomy place complete with black drapes.

The last thread had some brilliant birthday vignettes: those that stand out in my mind the most are Agape's Oliphaunts and String, Imhiriel's Saying Farewell, Gwynnyd's Journey to Harad, Dwim's Walkabout Season, and Gandalf's Apprentice's wonderful Reckoning.

Now I find myself shuddering, in sorrow and awe, at Dwim's Life Lessons - beautiful but so sad.

I hope to come up with something for Marta and Cheryl - only late. Maybe more than a month late.

RAKSHA

P.S. I have no idea why this is showing up in blue upper-case letters all in bold. I can only hope it's just that way in my screen. I've been unable to change it by editing; just made it worse.

Drabble for HASA

Four years, four visits by Nazgûl and a little Dwarven numerology. Happy birthday, HASA!

Dwim

Forthcoming

Wealth. Rings. Lordship. So the horseman promised, for but the price of gossip, or a trinket—a "least of rings" stolen from Him They Name Not in Gondor. Dwarves waste no words on circumlocutions, but they mark numbers: thirteen's unlucky; seven, blessed; three's no chance; four... four is death.

Dwarven lore holds the world ends when the Harbingers ride at night, bringing war to the earth's quarters. Thrice the horseman leaves unanswered, ere Dwarves depart for Rivendell. For death is coming—the earth groans, its bounty sickens, fear flowers. Death is coming: the fourth calling, the last calling, and then...

"...[F]ind this thief... and get from him, willing or no, a little ring, the least of rings, that once he stole." —"The Council of Elrond," FoTR, 235.

P.S. Raksha, I also see blue, all capitalized text. I've been seeing weird font changes since Forodwaith's posting.

Drabble for Teleri

Happy belated birthday, Teleri. I hope you like it:

Time

One, two, three... sometimes I am still and count the time that, like water, runs through my fingers. I cannot grasp it, cannot hold it and I know that every passing second brings me closer to my doom – death.

Four, five, six... and sometimes I hasten through my days, wanting to take all in before it is too late – before I die.

Seven, eight, nine... I see pictures then, admire the scenes but wonder who painted them – they are not my own.

Ten, eleven, twelve... And then I lie awake at night and wonder how it is – to be alive.

~Vilwarin

Thanks for the comments, Imhiriel & Dwim!

Dwim is right, "it" in the 2nd sentence refers to Beren's journey. I didn't want to write "how long it lasted" because that didn't convey the intensity I wanted; but "endured" does seem to imply a personal subject. Hmmm -- I'll have to consult the thesaurus & see if I can come up with a third choice.

I hadn't seen the discussion on HA about Beren's journey (I've had to set the Yahoo group to nomail because of time pressure).Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check it out

And yes, a font tag got left open somehow. I've fixed it now. 

Re: Drabble for HASA

Hello, Dwim

Don't forget to enter your drabble in the HASA Birthday Challenge on the Open Challenges page!

G.A.  

Don't forget to enter your drabble in the HASA Birthday Challenge on the Open Challenges page!

Done.

Dwim

I said:
although I do wonder about your use of "it" - shouldn't it be "he" in conjunction with "endured"; or "it" in conjunction with "lasted"?

Dwim:
"It" refers to "journey" in the previous sentence, actually. If the reference were to Beren, you'd be right.

Okay, now I've gone and actually looked up the various meanings in my dictionary - everything is clear.
What I was wondering about was: Can a journey endure something? To my ears, "to endure" presumes an anthropological reference point and doesn't rightly fit in conjunction with a lifeless matter like a journey.
But now I've seen that it can also be used with words like "life", "fame", "traditions"; so why not as well with "journey"?

Imhiriel

Forthcoming

Uuuh...creepy. I like the fact that, here, the "four" is somehow the number that is... not in evidence (for lack of a better expression). Three times happened when the Nazgûl came, the fourth time is the one not present - and that much more frightening for it.

Imhiriel

Re: For daw's bithday!

This is for Daw's birthday, whose work I love to read...but, it's also for anyone else who has a birthday this month!

Laying flat on his stomach, the mighty warrior slowly pulled his way across the hard, cold floor – being careful to stay well within the shadows and out of sight. He knew he had this one chance, this one moment, before those around him began to wake and realized he was missing.

He continued to inch his way forward until he was just below this fearsome leader, and pausing, listened for the slow steady breathing that signaled a deep, sound sleep. He rolled swiftly and soundlessly to the head of the bed and smoothly transitioned into a low crouch. Noting the unfocused eyes, the warrior’s face broke out into a triumphant grin as he loosened a feral battle cry - and with golden hair flying, made a desperate leap towards the sleeping form!

“Ada, WAKE UP!!!! It’s your begetting day - wake up, wake up, wake up! You must be *Ages* old by now, right?”

Legolas is quite young here...say, about 18...

Happy Birthday, Mirwen Amruniel!

Mirwen Amruniel asked for "pervy and elfy (read: Legolas. Legolas at a workout? Legolas at workout in leather?? Legolas in leather, working out and bare-chested?!)"

Well, there's no leather (he's naked), and the workout is maybe not what you were expecting. But I think you'll like it. The Dwarf insisted on being there.

Don't forget to create your story in the Birthday workshop!

Gandalfs apprentice

A Taste of Honey

Straddling the Elf's muscular chest, the Dwarf propped the small pot between his thick legs and pulled the stopper out. He ran one finger around the gooey rim and licked up the golden sweet. Some drops stuck in his beard.

He dipped the finger again into the sticky, tawny mass. "Open up."

Obediently, Legolas parted his lips. Gimli plunged his finger into the velvety pink opening and Legolas closed his mouth around it. Ecstasy suffused his face as he sucked delicious honey off the writhing organ inside him. Slowly Gimli pulled his finger out.

Legolas sighed deeply. "Do that again."

Re: Happy Birthday, Mirwen Amruniel!

Oh no, GA! you did it! now I am getting horrible images of hairy dwarf-slash.

I should difinetly not read such things in the middle of the night! Anyway, I liked that piece

~ Vilwarin

Happy Birthday, Teleri and Rous!

Teleri wanted Arwen and the effects of mortality; Rous wanted Elves. I hope you don't mind sharing this triple drabble about Arwen's sense of time undergoing a change.....

If anyone has any thoughts on how to make this better (it's tricky!), let me know....

Gandalfs apprentice

Spinning

On the distaff the knot of storm-grey fibers thinned as on the spindle the skein of silky thread fattened.

The color of his eyes. 

The slow rhythm of her hands and fingers, forming the fine strands, filled her days.

Too many days. 

The change had crept up on her.

Too many years

But not even a quarter of a yéni had in truth passed.

His heartbeat hovered at the horizon of her thought; she knew that the treacheries of mortality had not claimed him. 

But yet he does not come. What changes have the years wrought? Has another won his love?

The leaves had gilded, fallen, bloomed again, and yet again. Still he did not come. 

Is this how it will be? she wondered. Will that other part of my Elven blood count the days, the months, the year? Will I too change like the leaves in the seasons?

Impossibly long ago, when they had met under the trees in Rivendell, she had refused him. He had sworn he would seek her again, would again ask for her love. Now she dreamed of him at night. Her laughter fell silent. 

Day after day, at the loom in her grandmother's workroom, she wove the thread she had spun, passing the shuttle back and forth, her feet pressing the peddles to shift the warp. The silver-grey cloth lengthened. Again the leaves turned gold, fell, bloomed. He had not come.

A movement at the edge of her sight distracted her as the warden entered, seeking the Lady. "A Man is asking admittance to the Wood, my lady. He says he is lord of the Dúnedain, and he bears your brother's ring." 

"He is a friend, warden. Bring him to me."

Her blood surging, Arwen knew that nothing would ever again be the same.

Re: Drabble for Teleri

Thank you Vilwarin! That was a beautiful drabble. I love how it captures the tragedy of mortality: the fact that mortals are often unable to enjoy living because they know all too well that they will soon die.

Re: Happy Birthday, Teleri and Rous!

Thank you, Gandalf's apprentice! Your writing was beautiful. It was very ironic how Arwen first refused Aragorn's love, and then later, as the years passed by, Aragorn was the one who did not come to Arwen.

Oh my..... GAHHHH......

The last line is just to die for!!! Thank you!

Kisses,

Cheryl

Re: July 2006 Birthdays, Mirwen Amruniel

*visualizes and flops back on her bed in a lustful daze*

Well.... *clears throat with effort* 

Merci, Gwynnyd..

The pervy elf fancier is one happy PEF now.

Re: Happy Birthday, Mirwen Amruniel!

Ahaha! Now this was one that I did not expect!

Full of innuendos and double entendres. =^p

Thank you!

I'm hoping here to capture how her sense of time is undergoing a change--what once would have seemed like a long weekend, is now an impossibly long time. She must have experienced such a change! It's hard to write, though, because I really have a hard time imagining what it must be like to be an Elf (in that sense).

Don't forget to create a story in the workshop!

Gandalfs apprentice 

Spinning

Ooooh, G.A.! This is marvellous!
I I love it that you have set it at this precise point in time, how even the colour of the cloth remind her of him, and I love how you have incorporated the quote from the Tale of A & A:
She was little changed, for the mortal years had passed her by, yet her face was more grave, and her laughter now seldom was heard.
And the moment on which you chose to end it is perfect!

Imhiriel

Thanks, Imhiriel!

Although I have kept the Tale of Aragorn and Arwen very much in mind, there is a bit of my AU in the story as well. The way Tolkien presents it, you'd think that Arwen fell in love with a suit of clothes! Reading between the lines, I surmise that she must have had some feelings for him from the beginning.  

G.A. 

I am not able to keep up daily so I just saww your suggestion and I like it. Will do just that.

Ranger1

Thank you. I love it when things work out so well.

Ranger1

Ranger1—these are priceless! You must post the three as a story, their reputation is only growing by word of mouth at the moment (tucked away as they are in the Birthday forum). I would have missed them entirely if a friend hadn't sent me an email advising me: "You've got to read this!" Speaking of appropriate challenge entries, might fit the "LaCE" challenge as well. Loved the line: "Elf-maidens watched him race, untroubled by impure thoughts," Sounds like LaCE "canon" to me.

Oshun
~~~
I have a seperate story for "LaCE" challenge. It extends the same idea of what LaCE really means but also why "LaCE" was written. This one is going into the "Culture and Sexuality" challenge.

Ranger1

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Stories linked to the forum