Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: August 2006 Birthdays

August 2006 Birthdays

Hello, all you birthday folk and birthday drabblers! With the month of August I officially begin as Birthday Challenges Assistant. Let's make it a great one!

If you have an August birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the August challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

3 August: Vilwarin's brother, soon to be a member (?), loves to be entertained. He would like drabbles about people entertaining each other. In the hall of fire, at the Prancing Pony, around a campfire, in the barracks of Rohan, or even at the court of Gondor... wherever you like, just give them a nice time.

4 August: Anglachel says: I and my husband have been through a trying year, with disappointments and grief we could not have forseen, but have weathered our storms with love. And a reasonably sick sense of humor. So, my birthday wish is for tales of love between long paired couples. Sick humor optional, but greatly appreciated. Denethor and Finduilas, of course, but also Lobelia and Otho, Drogo and Primula, Faramir and Eowyn, Celeborn and Galadriel, Tuor and Idril, and all the rest.

18 August: Eruwestial is a big Legolas/Gimli fan (and yes, the naughtier the rating, the better). She wants them in a loving, playful and respectful relationship though...no whips and chains please. And if you're not inclined toward writing slash, she wouldn't mind a Legolas and Gimli friendship drabble either.

23 August: DrummerWench likes tales of intersections. Where dissimilar things collide: Elves meet Hobbits, Hobbits meet Men, Ents meet Dwarves, Northerners encounter Southern customs, Mountain folk encounter the Sea. People having to deal with something new, and perhaps be dealt with as a novelty themselves.

Re: August 2006 Birthdays

I have a question: It is my brother's birthday next month, and he would love to have a birthday Drabble. But he is not registered himself though, for he says that since he does not write anything, one in the family would be enough. Lets me do the work and gets the fun   Would it be possible for him to make a request?

~Vilwarin

You know, he doesn't have to write anything to be a member here!

Cheers,
Juno

P.S.: I think it's okay to ask for special occasion drabbles for a family member once in a while...  

Thank you.

So my brother's birthday is on august 3rd and he loves to be entertained. So he wishes for people entertaining each other. In the hall of fire, at the Prancing Pony, around a campfire, in the barracks of Rohan, or even at the court of Gondor... wherever you like, just give them a nice time.

~Vilwarin

Hello, Vilwarin

Urge your brother to join HASA! There are many members who rarely, if ever, write, including some of the admins. As a writer I can say that some of them are my most loyal readers, whose input I highly value. As a reader he can comment, recommend, compile playlists, join the forum discussions, and review stories for the archive.

Tell him that HASA is anticipating a major addition, a Reader's Club, that will expand services for members such as he. We need more of them!

Of course, you can include a relative's birthday request. But IMO he has no excuse not to join.

In any case, one of you must visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put the story in it, and enter the August challenge. Let's make August a great month with a challenge that will go public and win more members to HASA!

Gandalfs apprentice, Birthday Challenges Assistant

I agree with Gandalfs apprentice. I rarely write but comment and review stories for the archive. I enjoy reading a good story and have offered my services as beta reader and researcher to various writers.

RiverOtter
Challenge Manager

Hm, I can really promise nothing. If you have elder brothers you know what I mean when I say that he only listens when he wants to.

~Vilwarin

Hi, all!

Are there any August babies out there? Hello?

Please post your birthday request today! Get those drabblers working!

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the August challenge.

For any questions, just reply to this email.

Gandalfs apprentice 

Hi all,

Tomorrow is my birthday, though in proper Hobbit fashion, I will celebrate by giving everyone else a present. That comes on Saturday. ;-)

I and my husband have been through a trying year, with disappointments and grief we could not have forseen, but have weathered our storms with love. And a reasonably sick sense of humor. So, my birthday wish is for tales of love between long paired couples. Sick humor optional, but greatly appreciated. Denethor and Finduilas, of course, but also Lobelia and Otho, Drogo and Primula, Faramir and Eowyn, Celeborn and Galadriel, Tuor and Idril, and all the rest.

In time,
The Rockies may tumble,
Gibralter may crumble,
They're only made of clay,
But our love is here to stay.

Toodles (an much love)  - Ang

Hello Ang,

I sincerely hope this next year will be better and happier for you than the last one! Happy birthday to you!

(I couldn't quite manage the "sick" humour, but I hope you can laugh nonetheless )

Imhiriel

A Queen Among Farmers’ Wives

The off-key singing grew even louder as the door opened. “Ring a dong dillo!”

Mrs. Maggot swung her rolling-pin.

When Farmer Maggot came to, he lay on the floor, his throbbing head on his wife’s lap. He blinked blearily up at her.

“Hmmm?”

She tapped his nose. “I told you what I’d do the next time you came back from old Bombadil completely soused, didn’t I?”

His sudden burst of energy, rearing up and grabbing her arms, caught her off guard.

Moments later both lay breathlessly giggling, arms and legs entangled.

He beamed down at her. “Love you, Mrs. Maggot!”

A/N:
- Frodo calls Mrs. Maggot “a queen among farmers’ wives” in FotR, A Conspiracy Unmasked
- “...he [Tom Bombadil] made no secret that he owed his recent knowledge largely to Farmer Maggot, whom he seemed to regard as a person of more importance than they had imagined.” (FotR, In the House of Tom Bombadil)

Hi, Vistula here!

Due to some technical difficulties, Eruwestial - whose birthday is August 19 - asked me to post a birthday drabble request for her (if no one minds).

She's a big Legolas/Gimli fan (and yes, the naughtier the rating, the better). She wants them in a loving, playful and respectful relationship though...no whips and chains please.

And if you're not inclined toward writing slash , she wouldn't mind a Legolas and Gimli friendship drabble either.

Thanks bunches!!

Vistula

Anglachel says: I and my husband have been through a trying year, with disappointments and grief we could not have forseen, but have weathered our storms with love. And a reasonably sick sense of humor. So, my birthday wish is for tales of love between long paired couples. Sick humor optional, but greatly appreciated. Denethor and Finduilas, of course, but also Lobelia and Otho, Drogo and Primula, Faramir and Eowyn, Celeborn and Galadriel, Tuor and Idril, and all the rest.

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, Anglachel!  Here's a mega-drabble of 800 words.  Grief and love, but no humor, sorry.

In The House of Grief

The Prince of Dol Amroth lies in state, attended by two Kings, emissaries from Umbar and Harad, and lords from all over Gondor. His own close kin cluster around the bier, looking at the beloved form, now stilled forever, of Imrahil son of Adrahil. They will bury him on the morrow. And yet it is too soon to say goodbye.

Faramir watches his cousin Lothíriel cling tight to the hand of her son Elfwine, whose fair and earnest face is, of all the Dol Amroth line, closest in likeness to the dead Prince. That likeness should comfort them, Faramir muses, but it seems strange, to see Imrahil's face beneath the braids of an Eorling prince, who wears the garb of Rohan instead of the blue and silver of Dol Amroth. They all feel orphaned this day, Imrahil's sons and daughter and grand-children and his sister-son. Elphir is a worthy man, who will make a fine Prince, but no one, least of all Elphir himself, is quite ready for him to take his father's place.

Imrahil's sister-son suppresses a sigh and bids the others a good night. He feels the sting of unshed tears, and does not want to let them come, not there, in front of Lothíriel, who trembles like a tree battered by a winter wind. He knows she is struggling to contain her own grief, and he would not make a show of his own sorrow. Slowly, Faramir mounts the long marble stairs and walks to the room that has been his ever since he could remember, when he came to this keep that was his mother's home.

Will he come back again, Faramir wonders as he makes his way onto the balcony. For the first time in his life, he feels old. Without Imrahil, can the keep of Dol Amroth still be a haven, still welcome him as a kinsman? Is his uncle with his mother now, far beyond the Circles of the World? Faramir can almost hear his mother's voice, for once she had walked through these sunny rooms that held the tang of the sea. How much had it pained her, to leave the sea she loved and to make her home so far away?

He hears the door open and shut. Éowyn comes to him, her step heavier than is her wont, and her fair face pale and sad. The breeze from the sea below the cliffs wafts up with sudden strength, furling her cloak. For a moment, time slips, and he is seeing the beautiful young Shieldmaiden standing by the walls of the White City, resplendent in his mother's blue mantle that he had placed on her shoulders.

He holds out his hand, and she takes it. "Tell me, Éowyn," he asks, feeling the tears pressing behind the eyes, burning to be shed, grief quivering and coiling in his heart. "It has been so long since you left the Golden Hall to live in a land strange to you. Have you been happy in Emyn Arnen, so far from the plains and grasslands of the Mark?"

Éowyn looks long and hard at him, her eyes widening, studying him. She is not a woman to examine her own feelings at great length, he knows from long experience. But she understands him well enough.

Her face softens, the corners of her mouth wrinkling slightly as she smiles. Then she brings his hand to her face and kisses his fingers. "You need to ask?

"Yes, I think I do."

"Whither thou goest, I will go" Éowyn says, and lifts her hands to frame his face. "Where thou restest, so shall I too lodge." The tenderness in her voice almost takes his breath away, to hear it in this place, now leached of love with Imrahil's passing.

Faramir pulls her close against him, holding her fiercely, needing and wanting and loving all at once.

"Your people are mine now, min leof," Eowyn declares proudly. "I was born of the Mark, and shall always love it, but I chose Gondor because it was your land. It is now mine, and our children's; and I will die the Lady of Ithilien, in the home we made together. But not for many years," she adds, her hands reaching up to caress his cheek.

"Come," Éowyn insists, and leads him to the cold bed. "Grief is lighter when it is shared. I loved him too."

And they lie together, close in each other's arms, remembering Imrahil's sheltering kindness, and courage. The grief remains, but no longer cuts so sharply. After a gentle coupling has warmed them both, Faramir holds Éowyn as she falls asleep, his hands stroking her long unbound hair. When his tears finally fall, they do not sting. Home is where she is. Home is where they are together.

Some of Eowyn's words are taken from the Book of Ruth in the Old Testament, American Standard Version.

Imhiriel, loved your Queen Among Farmers' Wives.  I didn't remember that Old Yellow-boots was chummy with Farmer Maggot.  Delightful drabble!

RAKSHA THE DEMON

Raksha - This was marvelous. You have deftly captured Imrahil's passing as well as Fourth Age Middle Earth. The bit about Imrahil's grandson captures, in a nutshell, the marriage and life of his daughter. Nice use of the quote by Eowyn as a reminder that she decided to marry Faramir and leave Rohan just as Lothiriel decided to leave Dol Amroth and marry Eomer.

RiverOtter

Thanx, RiverOtter; I'm glad you liked the mega-drabble.  It had been in my head awhile, awaiting a prod to be actually written.  One effect of grief is that it can make a place that was once familiar seem suddenly strange; and that spurred me to think of the upheaval in the lives of Finduilas, Eowyn and Lothiriel as they left the homes of their childhood to make new lives in places that had to have been somewhat strange to them.

RAKSHA

In The House of Grief

Oh, Raksha, you did it! You had me sniffling and blinking right from the first line! As Imrahil is one of my favourite characters, imagining this situation really hit me.
I loved Lothíriel and Elfwine, and especially these line: ...this place, now leached of love with Imrahil's passing.and ...remembering Imrahil's sheltering kindness, and courage.

~*~

Imhiriel, loved your Queen Among Farmer's Wives. I didn't remember that Old Yellow-boots was chummy with Farmer Maggot. Delightful drabble!

Thank you! When I was musing about the prompt, that was what immediately came to mind, once I knew which couple I wanted to present.

Imhiriel

Happy Birthday, Ang!

Happy late birthday, Anglachel! This drabble and a half is not about a "named" canon couple, but Mrs. Beorn surely existed, since Beorn had children.

EDIT: a few changes! 

Gandalfs apprentice

Bears with Honey

"Good thing the Beast went out," Gandalfs apprentice said to the cat. "He can roar in some bar while I write a drabble for Ang's birthday about love between long-paired couples. Ha!"

Smiling with his whiskers, the cat settled on her lap and ran a wet paw over his ears.

The skin-changing fit seized Beorn as midnight struck. Growls gruffed the booming man's voice; thick, curling man's hair luxuriated into an ursine pelt; human fingernails spiked to bear claws.

Curled up under the bedcovers, his wife followed his movements with her ears as he lumbered out of the bedroom and through the great hall. The door slammed.

The next morning, the paw prints in the mud outside the kitchen door told her not to expect him home soon. "A good day for baking honey-cakes," she said to the pony. His intelligent eyes smiling, he bumped her arm for some oats.

Imhiriel, thanx for the comments on In The House of Grief.  I think Imrahil's death would be terrifying and saddening for his extended family; he would have been well-loved. 

And G.A. - lovely drabble about Mr. and Mrs. Beorn - there aren't enough stories about the Beornings.  I would think that Mrs. Beorn never lacks a supply of honey for her cakes.

RAKSHA

Hi, Raksha

Thanks for your kind words on my drabble! Just think of the attention the Beornings would get if PJ had put them in the movie....

Your Imrahil story was painful and emotive.

G.A. 

Bears with Honey

A Beorn story! Yay!
Fun parallel between the two parts - very sly.
It would take quite a gal to marry Beorn.
DW

Re: Bears with Honey

Hi, DW!

I'm glad you enjoyed "Bears with Honey." Sly and wicked, that's me!

And speaking of birthdays, I saw that yours is coming up. Are you going to make a request?

G.A. 

Re: Bears with Honey

G.A. wrote:

And speaking of birthdays, I saw that yours is coming up. Are you going to make a request?

Hmmm.  As this is my half-century birthday, perhaps I should indulge myself.
I like tales of intersections.  Where dissimilar things collide: Elves meet Hobbits, Hobbits meet Men, Ents meet Dwarves, Northerners encounter Southern customs, Mountain folk encounter the Sea.  People having to deal with something new, and perhaps be dealt with as a novelty themselves.
Thanks!

DrummerWench

Happy birthday, Eruwestial!

Here's a naughty drabble about Legolas and Gimli. Have a great birthday!

Gandalfs apprentice 

Unexpected

As Galadriel drifted by, Legolas watched the Dwarf's every move. Between the shaggy eyebrows and the beard sprouting on his stout cheeks, Gimli's eyes smoldered with a wolfish hunger.

Disgusting!  Legolas fumed. A Dwarf dares to lust after a lady of the Eldar! That insolent, axe-wielding runt! That stunted spawn of Durin! That walking beard!

A couple joined in passionate debauchery assaulted his mind's eye: Battle-scarred fingers fondled pearly Elven skin, muscular arms seized smooth Elven hips, whiskered lips pressed soft mouth, silky tongue licked quivering nipples, powerful loins parted willing flesh...

The Elf in Gimli's arms was not Galadriel.

Happy birthday, Vilwarin's brother

I'm sorry, I don't know your name! And I am late.

I didn't even try to make this a drabble, so I've put it up as a separate story. May it be entertaining!

Dragonfall.

Dwim

Re: Happy birthday, Vilwarin's brother

Maggo (that's my brother's nickname) and I are both delighted. Do not worry about tardyness. And you weave in my two favourites as well! Two sell-swords, eh. Looks like they are having a nice time off duty. I can imagine that this gaiety must be a totally new experience for them our two Rangers.

I can see the people gathering about Brand and his men, trying to catch a piece of gold. And then I hear music and people dancing in a big circle. I have walked in processions and danced in circles and it is a lot of fun. Thank you as well for making me remember thid experience. 

~Vilwarin

Re: Happy birthday, Vilwarin's brother

Maggo (that's my brother's nickname)

Happy belated birthday, Maggo! I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

And you weave in my two favourites as well!

It's just that I have this minor obsession with them, you see...

I have walked in processions and danced in circles and it is a lot of fun. Thank you as well for making me remember this experience.

You're welcome! Though I've never walked in a parade, I've danced in circles and danced in performances before--it is fun!

Dwim

Happy Birthday, Maggo!

For Maggo, who wants tales of people being entertained. Sorry it's late, but the muse was being recalcitrant.

Gandalfs apprentice

Love Story

Clutching his chubby cheek and waving a pointed, silver-painted stick, Beren yelled, "Woe! I'm hungry! Will I ever get out of this mess?" His face split in a broad grin. "Hark! It's music of a pipe unseen!"

Behind the bushes, Daeron played a vigorous dance tune on a tin flute.

Trailing a checkered woolen scarf, Lúthien scampered onto the grass and twirled on her tiptoes. Beren held out his plump arms. "Tinúviel! Tinúviel!"

She bellowed, "Oh no! A Man!" and bolted.

The performance came to a speedy end. Merry scribbled some notes on the script.

Rosie folded her scarf, Sam wiped the spit off his flute, and Fatty stuck his "sword" into his belt.

They looked expectantly at Bilbo. "Well?" said Merry. "What do you think?"

Bilbo coughed. "It's a good start. But to capture the romance, I think you need to do something about the hair on Rosie's toes."

Re: Happy Birthday, Maggo!

G.A., that is so cute!  I love it!

And it's rather a change from angstyness, isn't it?

To Vilwarin & Maggo: Thanks for a great card birthday idea - it's prompting some nice stories!

DrummerWench

Am off to the Twin Cities for a little summer vacation, so probably won't have much computer, let alone internet, access for a week.  I will be back before my birthday, though!

DW

Re: Happy Birthday, Maggo!

Have a great vacation, DrummerWench. I've got some plans for your birthday drabble.

G.A. 

Happy birthday, DrummerWench

Happy birthday and happy travels, DrummerWench!

Dwim

First Fellowship

They came by crewless ship. Ulmo had brought it—so the waves proclaimed, and to see the five wobble about the beaches like newborn foals more than landed sailors, he believed it. Never had these legs walked the earth before, nor had ears heard tongues speak, nor fëa been flesh-burdened.

"Help me, for I am afraid," said the grey one, leaning upon his staff, voice weak as his legs.

Then Cirdan, perceiving the spirit moved to such speech, took his arm, and gave the ring into his hand, saying: "Take this, Master, for great labours and perils lie before you..."

for great labours and perils lie before you...—UT, "The Istari," 406.

Also: For with the consent of Eru [the Valar] sent members of their own high order, but clad in bodies as of Men, real and not feigned, but subject to the fears and pains and weariness of earth...—UT, "The Istari," 406.

Although Olórin is said to have reported himself afraid of Sauron before ever being subject to a body, it is striking that fear is the first thing mentioned as a consequence of being embodied.

Another consequence pertinent to this drabble: For it is said indeed that being embodied the Istari had need to learn much anew by slow experience...—UT, "The Istari," 407.

It's perhaps reading more into that than is needed, but I figure a real body, particularly one already subject to old age, would need some getting used to.

Re: Happy birthday, DrummerWench

A great drabble, Dwim. I think your speculations about the impact of embodiment are quite right. Further, the aspect of having to "learn anew" is worthy of exploration! As I understand it, the embodiment is supposed to render the Maia much more subject to all kinds of earthly experiences. Presumably they don't smoke pipeweed in Valinor!

G.A. 

Thanks, G.A.!

As I understand it, the embodiment is supposed to render the Maia much more subject to all kinds of earthly experiences.

No doubt! Having only a semblance of physical form one can shed like we shed clothing isn't the same thing as actually being embodied. Experience would shift its form pretty radically in the transition.

Presumably they don't smoke pipeweed in Valinor!

Presumably not. See discussion at HA yahoo group on Bombadil's role in that deprivation... ;)

Dwim

Lazy that I am at the moment, may I say: Me, too ! G.A., you said exactly what I think about the drabble, and much clearer than I could have done probably !

Imhiriel

Wow!

Thanks, Dwim! That's just the sort of thing I was wishing for - meeting unfamiliarity and being unfamiliar. I, too, appreciated the humility of the grey one in knowing his limitations and asking for help.

Also, two of my fave characters - Gandalf and Cirdan - at their first (we assume) meeting. *wonders, you know, if Cirdan met Olorin (in Maia form) pre-Third-Age* *drags thoughts back from idle speculation to admire Birthday Present again*

I have set up a Story in the Birthday Card Workshop. I guess the author of the present then adds the chapter? Or do I do that?

Thanks again, Dwim!

DrummerWench

You're welcome, DW! I was hoping this would fit well enough with your request. I don't know about whether Cirdan and Olorin have met before, though the texts don't suggest that he knows Olorin in spirit form or recognizes him, only that he recognizes a deeper wisdom in him, and that the last to come to Middle-earth is not least among the five emissaries.

I've entered the drabble as a chapter in your story, so you don't have to do it. Happy birthday, once more!

TTFN,

Dwim

Oops, missed this post! I'm glad you liked this one, Imhiriel.

Dwim

Birthday-Drabble for DrummerWench

Happy birthday, DrummerWench - I hope you had a nice trip!

Imhiriel

~*~

A Meeting in the Tower Hills

The twelve Men looked at one another: These mariners seemed living people, after all, but nevertheless... They did not much resemble kinsmen from afar!

The chosen speaker, nudged furtively, took heart and addressed the one identified as his opposite number... Vëantur?

To their mutual regret, understanding seemed impossible at first. But, slowly, haltingly, it came, improving with time and determination.

High point of that first evening was the performance of the two most gifted storytellers of both parties: taking turns in recounting, to much laughter and applause, the “Meeting of the Evil Men with the Perilous Spirits of the Dead.”

A/N:
- The above meeting is described in UT, Part Two II, Aldarion and Erendis, FN 3. The text within the quotation marks shows, respectively, what one party originally thought about the other.
- “When six hundred years had passed from the beginning of the Second Age Vëantur, Captain of the King's Ships under Tar-Elendil, first achieved the voyage to Middle-earth.“. (UT, Part Two I, A Description of the Island of Númenor).

Re: Birthday-Drabble for DrummerWench

I'll confess I had to go look up the pertinent bits in UT (fortunately finally out of boxes).

Thank you, Imhiriel! This, too, is just what I wanted!

I love the last line, which shows that both sides could laugh at themselves, and learn about the other. Also, they realized that understanding takes work.

Yes, I did have a good trip, though not as relaxing as one might wish - we had plenty to do!

DrummerWench

Re: Birthday-Drabble for DrummerWench

l confess I had to go look up the pertinent bits in UT (fortunately finally out of boxes).

Yes, I think I'm in an obscure phase just now ...

Thank you, Imhiriel! This, too, is just what I wanted!

Glad you like it!

I love the last line, which shows that both sides could laugh at themselves, and learn about the other. Also, they realized that understanding takes work.

It's nice to see that here, in the beginning, it is truly friendship and mutual respect between the Númenóreans and the Men of Middle-earth.

Imhiriel

Happy Birthday, DrummerWench!

Here's a tale of intersection for you! It's decidedly less far-reaching than the other (very wonderful) contributions you've gotten for your request, but it seems to me that the every day life of Rangers in the North is full of such experiences--where dissimilar things collide, and discovering some things aren't so dissimilar after all. I haven't named the Rangers in the story, but I think you know who they are.

Gandalfs apprentice (Aug. 2 edit: some tweaks)

The King's Dagger

This blade is enchanted, great-grandfather said. While you bear it, no evil men or Orcs can harm you. She wasn't sure she believed him, but every day she carried it, its slim weight tugging at her belt as she gathered berries or wood, herded the goats, fed the chickens. Although the red damask hilt had faded, the black blade could cut through green wood like butter.

That day, she must have been daydreaming. The men approached so quietly that she heard nothing until a voice said, "Don't be afraid, mistress."

Startled, she whipped out the dagger and whirled to face the threat. Two young men, tall, dark-haired, their weaponless hands raised in a gesture of peace, stood at the garden gate.

"Rangers!" she said, thrusting the blade toward them. "What do you want?"

"A warm place for the night," said one.

She walked toward them, the knife clenched before her. She stopped short of their reach, the fence between them, and stared into their faces. "Why are you here?"

"We mean no harm," the man said. "We will work for your trouble."

They stood patiently, hands raised, unmoved, until the dagger caught the glance of the taller one. His eyes lit in recognition.

She pointed the black blade at his chest, firming her grip. "It is a magic blade," she said warningly, "a gift from the king for our service. Beware, if you intend evil here."

"Many years ago, then," said the man. "A great honor."

The respect in his voice surprised her. "You know of the Old Kings?" she said.

"We do." His steady, clear eyes held her gaze. "And of the power of such blades against harm."

He speaks true, she thought with wonder. He knows. "All right, then," she said, lowering her arm. "You may come in."

Re: Happy Birthday, DrummerWench!

Thank you, Gandalfs apprentice! What a great addition to my Birthday Presents!

I really like it. It also adds to the feeling of history inherited in the former Arnor - some things are remembered, even if only partially. It makes sense, too, that the Hobbit's barrow-blades would have mates elsewhere, passed down through the generations.

I assume this tale fits into "The Sword of Elendil"-verse, maybe during A & H's trip in Ch. 7, "The Lost Realm of Arnor"?

*notices G.A.'s posting time* Hmmm, the muse kept you up late after her earlier recalcitrant behavior. Typical of her...

DW

Re: Happy Birthday, DrummerWench!

So glad you like it, DW! What the people living in the former kingdom of Arnor knew and thought of the past is a very interesting question. I'd like to explore it further.

I think the story is more interesting if you see the two young Rangers as Aragorn and Halbarad. Certainly my muse thinks they are. But they COULD also be any two young Rangers.

My muse is very hard to live with. Most of the time she'd rather watch movies, read books like Barbara Hambly's "A Free Man of Color," and do sudoku puzzles. She makes me do all the work. And if I know her, she'll probably make me do some tweaking.

Happy fiftieth!

G.A.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum