Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: October 2006 Birthdays

October 2006 Birthdays

Calling all October babies! If you have an October birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the October challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

October 13, Laureleaf: I was born on Friday the 13th, like this year, so it would be great to get a story about old elvish superstition (especially if it involves members of the Wood Elves and/or the Royal family - but please, no EVIL!Thranduil).  Otherwise, anything elvish would give me a smile - especially since I get to spend my birthday camping with my son and roughly 4,000 other boyscouts!

October 23, JunoMagic: I'm turning 31, and here's a wish: I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world. So that would be (depending on your interpretation of what Middle-earth is) a drabble/ficlet that crosses time and/or dimensions. The only caveat: please no parody or something like that! (For one thing, that would be too easy Wink; for another, my husband says I have no sense of humour to begin with...). If that idea inspires anyone at all, I would be very grateful!

October 31, IgnobleBard: My birthday is on Halloween and I love scary stories. I'd like to request any story set in Tolkien's universe that has a frightening theme or unexpected twist.

October 31, Raksha the Demon: I'm a Faramir aficionado, as you may have guessed (!), so, for this birthday, I'd like pieces (drabbles, ficlets, whatever is convenient) emphasizing Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and also seemed, like his creator, to have a strong interest in the study of languages and history. I'd welcome any Faramir story, if that prompt doesn't inspire....But please, no slash.

Re: October 2006 Birthdays

IgnobleBard - Oct. 31

I'm new, and I've read everything on the birthday challenges (I think) so I'm posting my request.

My birthday is on Halloween and I love scary stories. I'd like to request any story set in Tolkien's universe that has a frightening theme or unexpected twist.

It is a bit early but I will give it now nonetheless. I do not know if it fits the request, but I hope you enjoy it, IgnobleBard. Or will I.B. do?

Anyway, here is;

It was...

It was a dark and stormy night and the two rangers were glad to have found a shelter. As Haldor leaned wearily against the wall, Aragorn could see that his companion's bandage showed red patches. He probed the wound and Haldor moaned loudly.

"I am sorry, my friend, but we cannot make a fire." He placed a hand on his friend's brow and sighed. "You have a fever and I cannot treat you better."

BANG!

Aragorn stilled mid-motion. For a moment, all was very quiet. Then, bright light filled the cave as their ceiling disappeared.

Finally, a child shouted "Naneth!"

Sheepishly, the two rangers looked up at the regal woman that held their ceiling in form of a blanket.

She scowled down at them, tapping her foot.

"Aragorn Arathornion, whatever possessed thee to show my son such a scene?"

~Vilwarin

Thanks, Vilwarin. This is great, and it certainly had an unexpected twist! I was wondering what they were going to find in that cave and then BANG! lol

You know, the only thing better than getting birthday presents is getting EARLY birthday presents.

Thanks again, and feel free to call me Mike.

Hi all,

Somehow I almost feel that it's not right for me to ask for a birthday drabble this year - apart from my weekly news posts as "herald of HASA" I haven't had much to contribute to LOTR fanfic this year (ever since my first original novel ate my life Laugh out loud).

But ok - I'm turning 31 on October 23, and since I wasn't at home for my birthday last year, here's a wish in spite of it all:

I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world.

So that would be (depending on your interpretation of what Middle-earth is) a drabble/ficlet that crosses time and/or dimensions.

The only caveat: please no parody or something like that! (For one thing, that would be too easy Wink; for another, my husband says I have no sense of humour to begin with...)

If that idea inspires anyone at all, I would be very grateful!

Cheers,
JunoMagic

Hi, JunoMagic -

This is a bit of SSP for a story that's already written: The Boatbuilder.  I think it fits your criteria.  It's set in the present, and features, well, the boatbuilder.  He does his time-crossing the long, hard way - one year at a time.  It clocks in at a little over 2,000 words though, so it's not a ficlet.

I consider it still in progress, so any comments you have would be welcome!

DrummerWench

P.S. Would be interested in learning about your original novel!

P.P.S. Oh, no! If it's in German, uh, well, I'd still like to know about it, but would not have much hope for ever being able to read it...

My birthday is also on the 31st.  I'm a Faramir aficionado, as you may have guessed (!), so, for this birthday, I'd like pieces (drabbles, ficlets, whatever is convenient) emphasizing Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and also seemed, like his creator, to have a strong interest in the study of languages and history. 

I'd welcome any Faramir story, if that prompt doesn't inspire....But please, no slash.

RAKSHA

for JunoMagic

I'm not sure if this devolves into "parody or something like that."  Apologies if it does.  I've got a couple more with other fellowship members.  This is a double drabble (meaning 200 words exactly).  Enjoy.

On the Shortband

"All units report in, we have an unidentified Caucasian male aged 45 to 50 on the corner of King's Cross and Rangeline.  He may be armed."

"This is Unit 923, we have visual confirmation."  Pause.  "He's got a sword and seems to be fighting someone who's not there.  Dispatch, please advise."

Longer pause.  "Unit 923, this is Dispatch, do not, repeat, do not escalate the situation.  Try to resolve this peacefully."

"Roger, will co."  Slam of car door.  Heavy footsteps.  "Sir?  Sir, you need to put the weapon down."

"I do not surrender Andúril to any man."

"You can't use your sword, sir.  Are you lost?  Where are you from?"

Suspicious.  "Why do you want to know?  I am a Ranger, from everywhere and nowhere."

"Sir, it's not safe for you on the streets; you need help."

Playing along.  "It is never safe, and we all need help.  Forgive me if I startled you."

Back in car.  "Dispatch, contact the local loony bins, somebody's missing a Ranger Aragorn.  Also, that sword and gear are the real stuff, has the local SCA chapter had a charity auction recently?"  To partner.  "Can you believe the kind of freaks we get around here?"

AN:  The SCA (or Society for Creative Anachronism) are the people who put on the Renaissance festivals in the US normally.  They are an organization dedicated to re-creating the Midieval England of Elizabeth and Shakespeare.

Re: for JunoMagic

ROTFLMAO

Great drabble!  I can see it happening!

Gwynnyd (Baroness Roaring Wastes, Middle Kingdom, SCA)

Well, I was born on a Friday the 13th, like this year, so it would be great to get a story about old elvish superstition (especially if it involves members of the Wood Elves and/or the Royal family - but please, no EVIL!Thranduil).  Otherwise, anything elvish would give me a smile - especially since I get to spend my birthday camping with my son and roughly 4,000 other boyscouts!

Thanks,

LL

I'm scared...I was just told that the Jamboree will not be 4,000 boys, but 12,000...

I think i'd rather be surrounded by orcs...

I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world.

So that would be (depending on your interpretation of what Middle-earth is) a drabble/ficlet that crosses time and/or dimensions.

Ask and ye shall receive!  The only problem is, the story has already been posted elsewhere and it is no ficlet, but rather an eleven chapter story which I am in the process of posting here.

May I draw your attention to Not Fade Away, my epic 'Elves in the Twenty-first Century' AU tale?  IgnobleBard will vouch for it, as he was the beta reader. 

Re: for JunoMagic

Gwynnyd,

I ended up writing it because it did happen, at least to Viggo Mortenson and I could see Aragorn going through the same troubles.  So yeah, I could see it.

Mar'isu

I'd not only vouch for it, I'd recommend it. It's the best Elves in modern earth story I've read. The characterizations are not only believable but also endearing. I love the way she writes the Legolas, Thranduil relationship in all her stories. It's very much the way I like to imagine them.

Happy early birthday, Juno

Hi Juno,

Well, I gave it a try. Here's the result: 'Inheriting the Earth'. Not sure it quite works as well as it might, but it was fun to try out.

Dwim

The Boatbuilder

Hi Drummerwench,

I loved that story. We see not enough of Círdan. My only complaint is: it feels very much like the first chapter of a long story to me! I want to know more about his boatshop and his daily life, and, just everything!

Anyway, thank you so much!  Heart

(Getting old is so much fun at HASA! *g*)

The original novel is a story about Atlantis. At the moment I'm still working on the revision of the English version before I'll turn to translating it into German (*shudder* *shudder*).

Mail me off-list, then I'll send you the first chapter! Smile

On the Shortband

Oh, Mar'isu,

I absolutely Heart it! Maybe my husband is wrong and I have a sense of humour after all? Wink

I can *so* see that little scene. Hilarious without being silly. Thank you!

We have the SCA over here, too. My husband wants to get involved, but so far we never got round to it. But they offer sword fighting lessons in my home town and *that* is a really powerful lure!

Thank you again -

Juno 

Not Fade Away?

Epic 21st century-AUs?

You *bet* - now I have something to look forward to for my lunch hours again. *SQUEEE*!!!

I've addded it to my bookshelf, so expect to hear from me soon in the comments section. Smile

Thank you!

Cheers,

Juno 

Inheriting the Earth

Hi Dwim,

I adore your story!

It's obscure, tight, feels real and makes me wonder... great stuff.Grin

Thank you very much.

Yours
Juno

Re: Inheriting the Earth

Thanks, Juno! It's definitely obscure! *hides from people who know something about machinery of any sort* I couldn't think of a good quick way of getting anyone but an Elf into the modern world without invoking strange vortices and all that sort of thing, until I remembered the bit about the possibility of Dwarves reincarnating, and poor Gimli never gets enough stories.

Do you have a birthday card story set up yet?

Dwim

Re: Inheriting the Earth

Hi Dwim,

Gimli certainly deserves much, much more attention!Grin

And I just set up my birthday card story - I never expected to get so many stories so soon!

JunoMagic's Birthday Gifts 2006 

Cheers,
Juno

JunoMagic: In response to your birthday request "I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world." Not a long story, but more than one chapter. Hope it works--should be finished before the end of the month. First chapter posted. The Boyfriend

Hi oshun,

I Heart the story. See my comment. What a wonderful surprise! Thank you very much. I'm looking forward to the next chapter and hoping the story will turn out longer than you think. Wink

Thank you!!!

Cheers,
Juno 

Hi oshun,

Aye, interesting beginning. I so hope you update soon. The mysterious boyfriend, I cannot wait to see who is standing in her kitchen at this unholy time. Hehe

And I even learned a new expression from you. I had to use my Oxford Dictionary for that, though.

And know what I was reminded of? A person growing up in the still white-scrubbed parts of Minas Tirith. Laugh out loud Or someone with pure Dúnadan blood (pale skin).

~Vilwarin

Thank you, IgnobleBard!

Oh, wow, IgnobleBard: "Sunset Gates" is awesome!. The connection between the two ladies. Brilliant. I love the emotional impact of this drabble.

Thank you so much! Heart

A new home - and how perfect that chapter 1 of my birthday stories shows some of the things he might get up to in this new home. That's a great coincidence! Grin

Cheers,
Juno

Please add authors' names to chapters!

Hi all,

I just noticed that the names of the authors for the individual chapters of my Birthday Card Story don't show up in the story view in the General Stories section.

So please: could you maybe add your name to the title of the birthday story chapters you post?

Maybe something like: "Birthday story chapter title - For xyz by xyz"?

Especially if Birthday Card Stories are entered into the Birthday Stories Challenge, readers should be able to see who wrote all the wonderful birthday story chapters. Smile

Cheers,
Juno

Happy Birthday, IgnobleBard and JunoMagic!

This story was inspired by your combined requests--a story of Tolkien's characters in the modern time, and a scary story with a twist. I hope you don't mind sharing!

Gandalfs apprentice

The sign pointed left, "To San Francisco," and a smooth, paved road beckoned. To the right, a leaf-strewn track dwindled to darkness under the tall trees.

She pressed on the brakes and brought the car to a gentle stop. "Hey, kids," their mother said, as she turned away from the steering wheel to see their faces, "who's up for some adventure?"

Lit up with the ferocious energy of a seven-year-old, Andy bounced up and down on the back seat. "Me! Me!"

But the loutish teenager in the passenger seat sat silent, scowling at his GameBoy, his fingers working the buttons as feverishly as his jaw chewed the gum in his mouth. His acne glistened.

With a roll of her inward eye, she forced a smile. "Come on, Jimmy, it'll be fun," she pleaded.

"Whatever."

"Watch that tone, young man," she said, hoping it sounded stern. She got no reply. "Okay, you stay in the car. Andy and I will go for a short walk."She took his sullen silence for acquiescence.

Andy burst out of the car and skipped ahead. She followed him, admiring the huge redwoods towering over the green path. Ahead, golden light streamed into a break in the forest canopy. We'll head there and see what there is to see.

Ahead of them perched a little cabin made of weathered, grey logs. An old sign, the letters worn and faded, stood in front: "U.S. Forest Service." But for the neatly stacked pile of wood to the side, she would have taken it to be abandoned.

A Ranger station, I suppose, she thought, as she walked up to the door, which stood ajar. But instead of an information desk and a wall of souvenirs, she found a snug little room, looking like it could have been transported from a Hollywood set for a wilderness adventure movie. A table fashioned of slabs of wood roughly hewn stood against the far wall, a tidy basket of red apples in the exact center.

Not wanting to disturb anyone's privacy, she turned back--Andy, suddenly shy, followed close behind--and walked around to the back, in time to see a man in battered Ranger's garb stomping out of the trees into the clearing around the house. A tall battered hat, crowned with a blue feather, perched atop a flourishing head of brown hair. His bushy brown beard flowed down his patched shirt; his feet bore huge, shiny yellow boots caked with mud. He sang in a lusty baritone a cheerful song of utter nonsense, as far as she could tell.

His bright blue eyes fastened on to hers and he stopped suddenly. Taking off his tall hat, he bowed. "Welcome, lady."

"Why, hello," she said. "Are you the Ranger here?"

"Ah!" said the man, "truth be told, they've forgotten about my post in Washington. But old Tom's still here, guarding the woods."

An eccentric, she decided, one of those nature fanatics. "It's lovely!" she said. "May I walk around? Are there trails?"

"Oh, indeed," he answered. "But you must take care which you choose. The closed trails here mean business," his face suddenly serious. "Down in the gully the trees just don't like creatures on two feet."

A whimsical fellow to be sure, she thought, and smiled. "Are there mountain lions?" she asked.

"Oh, no," Tom said. "The trees don't like them much either, and they know it. But you'll be fine if you just stay away from the stream. The trail along the top is lovely." He pointed to a green path disappearing under a stand of birches.

"Thanks," she said. "Come on, Andy."

"But mind," said Tom, wagging a broad finger, "don't follow any paths going down the slope. Those trees have black hearts."

"Oh, I'll take care," she said, laughing, and taking Andy's hand, she set off.

She breathed deeply, enjoying the clean, fresh scent of the air, laden with the aroma of tree and leaf. So peaceful, especially with Jimmy in the car, she thought ruefully. I ought to have left him at Alcatraz.

"Mom," said Andy, "how can a tree have a black heart?"

"The man is teasing us, don't you think? We can have a real adventure, what do you say? Let's pretend some of the trees are watching us."

"Oh, goody!" he cried, and breaking his hold on her hand, he ran ahead. Suddenly, his red coat disappeared, as if swallowed by the trees.

"Andy," she called, a surprising alarm seizing her. "Don't wander off." She picked up her pace, calling again, "Andy!"

"I'm here, Mom! Come look!"

She turned a sudden bend in the path to see him a few feet down a steep trail that led off to the right. "No, sweetie, the Ranger said not to go off the main path."

Even before she finished speaking, he scrambled down a mossy rock.

"Andy!" There was no answer. Dammit, she thought. But there was no help for it, she had to follow. Past the rock, the trail plunged swiftly down, veering left. The tall, slim birches gave way to old gnarled oak; labyrinthine branches crept toward the sky, laden with deep green leaves. The fresh breeze died away, and the forest grew suddenly quiet. Looking up, she saw through the leaves a knotted old trunk with a great warty nose and two deep holes where the eyes should be.

"Andy!" she called again.

"Here, Mom!" And sure enough, there he was, as if the trees had pitched him out from their hoary branches.

"Come here at once," she ordered. Relieved anxiety flooded her.

"What's the matter?" Andy giggled. "The trees scare you?"

"Of course not," she lied, "but we aren't supposed to be down here. Let's go back." She took Andy's hand and they turned around, but they had not gone far before she stopped. "This is odd. The path is going down and to the left again." She gazed right and up, but a thick army of trunks was all she saw. I must be dreaming, she thought, a strange calmness swathing her like a cloak. It's so silent, like a church. I almost want to nap on a heap of leaves.

The path was rough, rocky, lined with huge ferns that smelled of her grandmother's herb garden. Keeping a tight hold on her son's small hand, she had no choice but to continue down, slowly, for the path was laden with branches, bits of slippery moss, and wet leaves. Once, when she placed her foot carefully over a twisty root, it almost seemed as if the root grabbed her ankle. I must need Prozac, she thought, dreamily. Trees that move.

The heavy air whispered of sleep, interrupted only by the sound of trickling water. They came suddenly upon a deep chasm with rich green-brown water dancing across rocks and fallen logs.

"Oh, dear," she said. "Let's stop a minute, sweetie."

Lay down your head, my daughter, be at peace.

She found a log lying close to a huge, twisted old trunk where they could sit and rest their backs.

Andy rubbed his eyes. "Mom?"

"Yes, sweetie."

"I'm tired."

"Put your head in my lap. We'll just sit for a bit."

She closed her eyes, stroking her son's soft hair.

Sleep, lay down your troubles. Give up your cares to the Old Mother. Sleep, my daughter, my son, sleep. Lie still, now, my leaves will cover you. No cold, no snow, no wet will find you. My branches will shelter you, the earth will welcome you.

A vigorous yell woke her, and a pair of bright blue eyes shattered the green magic.

"Go back to bed, Old Mother!" shouted Tom the Ranger. "Leave these people be! They are not your kind, not for you to lull with your tree song!"

A sudden crack, and she felt as if she had popped out of an oaky coffin. Andy yawned beside her. "What? What happened?" she said, baffled with sleep. She could have sworn that Tom was singing into a crack in the hoary bark. A tremor shook the tree, and a deep sigh rose from the earth.

"Come now," said Tom. "Tom will show you the way."

They followed him in wonder up the path, which now, unaccountably, ran straight and firm, seemingly well-traveled. He sang as he stomped up the slope, his voice echoing through the valley.

They said goodbye at the Ranger station.

"You see now," said Tom, winking. "The old Forest Service does know a thing or two about trees. Mind where you step, now! Follow the marked trails!"

Relieved, and suddenly happy, she took Andy's hand and they set off for the car.

"Just wait till we tell Jimmy about our great adventure," she said.

"He won't care," Andy said. "He'd rather play Demons and Devils."

She sighed. Well, he's my son all the same.

But the car, when they got there, was empty. A leaf-strewn jacket trailed out of the open door. Resting on its muddy sleeve, the GameBoy flashed a message: "Game Over."

Green Magic

Oh, WOW!

Thank you, GA! That's an absolutely awesome gift. Heart Tom is the perfect person to pop up in strange places. 

But:  you cannot leave it at that.

You can't possibly dangle such a delightful cliffhanger in front of our noses and leave it at that! I know, I'm awfully greedy, but I want to know what happens next!!! adoring smiley

Thank you again!

And don't forget to add this to my birthday story. Just thinking of the great chapters of my birthday story this year makes me happy! Smile

Cheers,
Juno

Happy Early Birthday, IgnobleBard!

Hi IgnobleBard,

I'm sorry, but offline life keeps me too busy for writing new LOTR stories at the moment. But I do have one very scary story written and posted here at HASA, so I'd like to invite you to read that story for your birthday:

About Legends or Whisperings of a Ghost 

All the best wishes for your birthday month and may the muses be always with you! 

And may I be so impertinent as to ask you to create a separate story for "Sunset Gates"? Because I got/was invited to read stories with more than one chapter for my birthday I've started putting together a birthday playlist, and I would love to add your story!

Cheers,
Juno

Re: Green Magic

G.A., that was perfect for this morning! Autumn has taken hold with a vengeance--clear sunlight yet hazy air, trees in the process of shedding or turning colors, cool--the sort of weather that suggests mysteries waiting around the corner. And lo and behold, here's a story that exemplifies that feeling!

But are you really going to leave the mother with a missing child in Bombadil's forest?

That wouldn't be... fair. I mean, that just cries out for The Labyrinth's solution or something: you have thirteen hours to reach the center of the forest or else Old Man Willow will put a heart of stone into your son and turn him into a tree like the Fairy Queen threatened she would do to old Tam Lin!

Dwim

But are you really going to leave the mother with a missing child in Bombadil's forest?

That wouldn't be... fair.

Exactly! You can't do that to the poor woman! 

(Thanks, Dwim for jumping in! I really like your arguments - now GA really can't leave us hanging here like that. Wink )

Cheers,
Juno

Hi guys

I'm very pleased you enjoyed my little tale. As for continuing it---well, not right now. Maybe the muses will speak later.

And Dwim, so much for all your hammering for more "Sword of Elendil"! These birthday prompts are distraction enough! I have drafted bits, all the same. I have chunks of "Trolls" written (pretty gruesome stuff), and quite a bit of the scene where Gandalf and Aragorn meet (some chapters down the road).

It's great seeing the Birthday Forum getting so much action! Thank you, Juno, for a great prompt.

G.A.

Thank you, Juno, for a great prompt.

Thank you - all of you! - for those wonderful stories!

May the muses be with you - 

Juno 

Re: Happy Birthday, IgnobleBard and JunoMagic!

*snork*  Ewwww - glistening acne.  That was particularly, uh, vivid, GL.  Sick  

Sleep, lay down your troubles. Give up your cares to the Old Mother. Sleep, my daughter, my son, sleep. Lie still, now, my leaves will cover you. No cold, no snow, no wet will find you. My branches will shelter you, the earth will welcome you.

Oh dear.   Oh dear dear dear.  *worried hand wringing* Such a seductive voice.  I can't decide whether I want to lie down for a nap or do something about all the hairs standing on end atop my head.    

And very cruel, GL, to leave us hanging like that at the end.  ;)

~Silli

Re: Happy Early Birthday, IgnobleBard!

JunoMagic,

I'm thrilled that you liked the drabble. I was so insecure about that one that I didn't add it as a story, but I will do that so you can put it on your playlist.

I know what you mean about being busy. I'm doing my best to get everyone a drabble this time, as I missed last month, but drabbles are harder than I thought. lol

Your story is chilling. I love how you told Beruthiel's story from her perspective and how her cats stuck with her until the end. It was scary but it was also poignant and touching. I hope you will add the story to my card section.

Thanks so much for the link!

Mike

GA,

This is excellent! I love how Tom Bombadil showed up to get them out of the forest just as the trees were about to get them. And the way you described them being lulled is very dreamlike.

I don't know why I never think of Tom. I guess it's because I don't see many stories about him. This is the perfect blend of our two requests. It's a shame we won't know what happens to the missing kid. But a bit of a mystery is a good thing. Always leave 'em wanting more, right?

Thanks so much.

Mike

Mike:

You asked for a story with a twist at the end, and now you're sorry you don't know? Can't have both!!

I hope your birthday is grand, and somewhat less nerve-wracking than this tale!!

G.A. 

G.A.,

But I *want* both!

Okay, I guess you're right. I like the mystery better anyway. Oh, and I saw the addtion to the ending of Green Magic. That was great, it's even more creepy.

And I plan on having a nice, relaxing horror film festival for my birthday. That should calm my nerves. *grin*

Next chapter posted to  The Boyfriend, fic written for JunoMagic's birthday challenge. Enjoy.

Oshun

IgnobleBard:

So pleased to hear you're even more creeped out by "Green Magic." (And thanks for the tip!)

I hope you "enjoy" your birthday celebration.

G.A.

Happy Birthday, Laureleaf!

Here's a bit of Elvish superstition for your big day! Have fun!

--Gandalfs apprentice

Envy

Elves are strange folk, Gimli thought, and this one's like a dandelion in a dragon's den. Narrowing his eyes underneath his bushy brows, he watched the Elf surreptitiously, waiting for a repeat of the strange gesture.

All too soon, as the Elf crossed the Dwarf's path yet again, Legolas drew a vigorous X across his chest with one elegant hand, and tugged on his chin, smooth as a baby's behind, with the other.

By Durin's axe, he's mad. Gimli caught Gandalf's glance. A mischievous twinkle lit up the wizard's eye.

"Pay no mind, my good Dwarf," Gandalf said in a low voice. "It's the thirteenth day of the month, and Thranduil's folk believe it brings them good luck on this day to cross a Dwarf's path and themselves at the same time. The chin cupping is to honor your kind."

Snorting, Gimli stroked his luxuriant whiskers. Beard envy—of course.

Re: Happy Birthday, Laureleaf!

Snorting, Gimli stroked his luxuriant whiskers. Beard envy—of course.

And now, I'm snorting.  Great story!

A Link For Laurelleaf

Laureleaf,

I'm still working on your birthday gift, but you mentioned camping in your request, so thought I'd link you to this story I wrote a couple of years ago for Halloween about Elrond taking the twins camping. I hope you enjoy it.

Elven Legends

Mike

GA,  

*giggles* Heart I could see Gandalf encouraging Gimli to believe something like that!

Thanks...It's something to make me smile while i'm camping with not 4, but 12,000 boyscouts, possibly in the rain...Wink

LL

Re: A Link For Laurelleaf

Mike,

Elrond is braver then I thought - to go away with the twins WITHOUT reenforcements! And I'll just bet he has a thought or two to share with Erestor upon his return...this is a fun story...one the boys may hear around a campfire, if you don't mind!

I've had mid terms these past two week, plus my organization hosted a blood drive yesterday, so i've not been able to finish any of the birthday presents I've started, but next week things should slow down and i'll be able to.

Thanks for re-posting this one!

LL

Hi, LL

Whether Gandalf is stretching it, is, I guess, up to the reader to decide. I know what I think....Those Elves are strange folk.

I hope you have more to make you smile than this wee tale, while you're wet and crazed! Enjoy it, all the same!

G.A. 

Re: "Sunset Gates"

This was a fantastic drabble, Mike!

I was so insecure about that one that I didn't add it as a story

Naa ! I loved the ambiguity about it - I actually did a double-take at the end and re-read it immediately. And then I had to think about the lines on it:

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Gimli seems so lost in this world, and his hope in the words his new home, his final home shine through.

Imhiriel

G.A..

Beard envy, that's hilarious! And crossing a dwarf's path. I always knew Gimli was lucky to have around They never lost a battle he fought in, did they? *grin*

This was a lot of fun. I've been wondering what superstitions we might expect to see with this request.

Re: Sunset Gates

Imhiriel,

Thank you, that means a lot. I'm not used to doing drabbles and I was afraid this might be thought to be a little silly. You know how it is when you write something and then reread it...

The title is actually part of the poem. I'm ashamed to say I had to look it up because I couldn't remember exactly how it went.

I very much appreciate your comments and I'm glad you like it. Grin

Mike

This had me chuckling all the way through, GA! I love the idea of Legolas's way of showing "respect", and the ending is perfect.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum