Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: October 2006 Birthdays, Take Three

October 2006 Birthdays, Take Three

Calling all October babies! If you have an October birthday, please post your request.

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the October challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

October 13, Laureleaf: I was born on Friday the 13th, like this year, so it would be great to get a story about old elvish superstition (especially if it involves members of the Wood Elves and/or the Royal family - but please, no EVIL!Thranduil). Otherwise, anything elvish would give me a smile - especially since I get to spend my birthday camping with my son and roughly 4,000 other boyscouts!

October 20, Soubrettina This sounds silly- I'm afraid I forgot my birthday was coming up (in case you're wondering, I'm 23, which begs the question of what I'll be like when I'm 73). I'm not too fussy, but I would quite like an overheard conversation, possibly amusing, just about anywhere. Thank you.

October 23, JunoMagic: I'm turning 31, and here's a wish: I'd like to see characters from "Lord of the Rings" in our world. So that would be (depending on your interpretation of what Middle-earth is) a drabble/ficlet that crosses time and/or dimensions. The only caveat: please no parody or something like that! (For one thing, that would be too easy Wink; for another, my husband says I have no sense of humour to begin with...). If that idea inspires anyone at all, I would be very grateful!

October 31, IgnobleBard: My birthday is on Halloween and I love scary stories. I'd like to request any story set in Tolkien's universe that has a frightening theme or unexpected twist.

October 31, Raksha the Demon: I'm a Faramir aficionado, as you may have guessed (!), so, for this birthday, I'd like pieces (drabbles, ficlets, whatever is convenient) emphasizing Faramir the scholar, the thinker, who loved music and lore and also seemed, like his creator, to have a strong interest in the study of languages and history. I'd welcome any Faramir story, if that prompt doesn't inspire....But please, no slash.

Re: October 2006 Birthdays, Take Three

Please post any new October birthday gifts in this thread.

Soubrettina's new request is pasted below.

--Gandalfs apprentice

October 20, Soubrettina This sounds silly- I'm afraid I forgot my birthday was coming up (in case you're wondering, I'm 23, which begs the question of what I'll be like when I'm 73). I'm not too fussy, but I would quite like an overheard conversation, possibly amusing, just about anywhere. Thank you.

Of the History and Habits of Hobbits

The title is wonderful, G.A.!

Well, the whole story is . I loved the interaction between Faramir and Pippin, the setting, the progression/unveiling of bits of Arnor's history.

And as I was composing more comments, I saw that Raksha had already said so much of what I wanted to say (in the previous thread), so I'll keep it brief

The two passages that Raksha quotes are my favourites, too. I especially like that "ours" Faramir says re: Arnor - such a little word, and it says so many things about him!

And the idea of the springle-ring being such a success in MT is so funny!

Imhiriel

I'm not very good at modern day stuff - but for Juno - I thought it would be worth the effort... This is my pitiful attempt - my heart is with you these days, Juno!

Agape

'Future Site'

He had stood here before - stood next to the king and watched the celebration unfold before him. Dancers, fiddlers, and the ever-present minstrel of Gondorian festivities littered the field of Cormallen. He saw Frodo and Sam walking towards their appointed places. The plans for commendation were now in full swing. In the long past. Yet, one was missing.

Even after all these long ages, when Legolas found himself once again upon this field, he never failed to miss the missing.

Aragorn and Arwen slept, waiting for who knew what Eru had planned for them. Frodo, Sam and Gimli were in Valinor with his father, cousins and friends, Merry and Pippin slept also. Yet, one was missing.

The field was finally being encrouched upon, as the humans of this age always seemed to do, encrouch, then finally o'ertake the land and its beauty, marring it with their paved roads, uprooting trees to build unseemly dwellings, and those hideous steel monsters that belched smoke and ran unaware people over.

He sat on a half-finished stone wall. A sign next to it proclaimed, 'Future Site of Rivendell - Spacious condominiums and Gracious Living at its Best.'

Future Site - he knew the future site of those he loved, Aragorn, Arwen, Thranduil, and so many others, but not of one. One who was missing.

Where did those men go who the world considered failures? Were they with other men who died in battle or in their sleep? Where, in fact, was Boromir, for Aragorn had told him of Boromir's fall.

The last moment. Many said that all were given the chance, at the last moment, to be freed and healed and though the world did not know it, they were indeed free. And happy.

The last moment. Future site. Aragorn had said that was the key and Legolas would believe it. For Boromir's sake, he must believe that Boromir had been freed and healed and would someday be in a site where Legolas could find him.

For Soubrettina

Elladan overhears a conversation - and wishes he hadn't.   Rated for a suggestive comment, but nothing more.

Eavesdropping  

"You are so very beautiful."

Elladan froze in his quiet corner of the gardens as he heard his brother's voice.  Elrohir, clearly oblivious to his presence, continued.  "Your hair is like the finest silk – the colour of a ripe, fresh chestnut.  I love you, you know."

Elladan squirmed with acute embarrassment.  He had no wish to be an unintentional eavesdropper, but was torn by a mix of curiosity and, he had to admit, a surge of jealousy.  Who was this girl who had stolen his brother's heart?  Why had Elrohir never even mentioned her?   And how had he remained unaware of this burgeoning romance?  He and Elrohir shared everything.

Elrohir continued.  "Later, perhaps, I will take you and ride you …"

Elladan blushed scarlet, shocked beyond words.  He could stand it no longer.  He cleared his throat and coughed loudly.  "Elrohir!"  he cried in a strangled gasp. 

Elrohir's voice broke off abruptly, and he peered around the bushes with a grin.  "El!  I did not know you were there.  Come and see her."

Deeply reluctant, Elladan trailed numbly after his brother.

"There!  Is she not beautiful?"

Elladan stared, blushing again.  His knees felt weak.  "You were talking to your horse?"

Jay

Happy birthday Soubrettina and Raksha

True drabble! True drabble! According to Word, the text is exactly 100 words.  My muse seems to be combining both of your requests into one, so I hope you don't mind sharing.

The Eyes of the White Tower ~ Mar'isu 10/23/06

"He's coming.  At long last he's here."

"We've waited so long, are you sure it's him?"

"Yes, I'm sure.  Hear the trumpets?  They haven't used that call since Captain Thorongil went out against Umbar."

"Why would they use Thorongil's call?"

"Maybe Adar saw something.  I heard him telling Naneth that the Eagle flew the nest years ago.  Maybe the Eagle is come back."

"Hush, he'll hear you.  He's approaching the gate."

Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth smiled and passed through gate to the Citadel, awaiting in a non-expecting manner the two raven-haired imps who burst from the shadows crying, "Uncle!"

Happy Birthday Soubretinna

Soubrettina,

I hope this one fits your criteria. Happy Birthday. Smile

"I am weary. I am lost."

"Follow."

"I need to rest."

"I will light your way. Follow."

"I can not see, it is dark, there is no moon."

"You can see my light."

"Only the light."

"Follow the light. One step, another. Keep your eyes on the light, only the light."

"Then I can rest?"

"Yes, rest…forever."

"I am afraid."

"I am here."

"It is so cold, so dark."

"The light is warm, it will guide you."

"I follow."

"Trust."

"Guide me."

"Mister Frodo, come on. Don't look at the lights. Hurry!"

"Yes. Go on Sam. I'm coming."

follow

Re: 'Future Site'

Thank you, Agape.

What a lovely, positive, hopeful piece. Not at all pitiful, but a wonderful gift.

-Juno 

Radagast as a vet. What a good idea. I like the little bird being so calm and secure in his hands. A tender little drabble. Good job.

Thank you, Mike. It seemed like a natural career choice for him in the modern age.
---
Vielen Dank!

Gern geschehen, Juno!

Of all of Tolkien's characters I'm most certain that Radagast stayed on. And that he's still somewhere out there, befriending creatures all too often overlooked and maltreated.

Oh, yes, exactly my thoughts. I also have this picture that he doesn't only have offical consulting hours, but often simply packs his backpack and hikes into the wilds to care for the animals there.

Imhiriel

Re: Happy birthday Soubrettina and Raksha

True drabble! True drabble! According to Word, the text is exactly 100 words.  My muse seems to be combining both of your requests into one, so I hope you don't mind sharing.

The Eyes of the White Tower ~ Mar'isu 10/23/06

And an excellent drabble it is - Thanx much for this charmng birthday ficlet.  There isn't enough fanfic about Imrahil and his nephews, and they're quite well-presented here...

A note to Jay - I quite enjoyed the Eavesdropping vignette!

RAKSHA

Birthday-drabble for IgnobleBard

Mike, it's a little bit early, but I don't know if I will have time later on. So... happy birthday - and a spooky Halloween to you!

Imhiriel

Cold be Hand and Heart and Bone

It was pitch-dark in the ancient barrow, its entrance barred by massive slabs of stone.

The blood reverently washed away from his spear-wound, the prince was laid out, in the company of his forefathers’ forefathers. His apparel was of befitting richness, packed by some servant even in hasty retreat from Angmar; in his hands a blue-jewelled brooch, loving token from his lady.

Out of the depths of the mound, a figure, barely visible in a sudden wan, eerie light, crept towards the bier.

A cold, harsh whisper chanted repugnant, bone-freezing incantations.

A groping hand touched the body...

The prince stirred.

A/N:
- Title and inspiration from FotR, Fog on the Barrow-downs.
- “It is said that the mounds of Tyrn Gorthad ... are very ancient, and that many were built in the days of the old world of the First Age by the forefathers of the Edain... Some say that the mound in which the Ring-bearer was imprisoned had been the grave of the last prince of Cardolan, who fell in the war of 1409. (RotK, Appendix A I (iii))

Birthday-drabble for Raksha

Raksha,

I wish you all the best for your next year - and I wish you the inspiration for many more lovely Faramir-stories! (Me - selfish? Nooo !)

Imhiriel

Tying Notes

Incense and costly perfumes wafted around the sultry tent; stirred by sensuous, languorous dancing; mingling with rhythmic, hypnotic music that made the spine tingle, the heart pound.

Faramir sat cross-legged on precious rugs, hands loosely clasped, a look of rapt attention on his face.

But not the dancers had stirred him the most.

For hours afterward, he conversed with the musicians in careful Haradric, encouraging them to talk of their art, describe musical principles, explain their instruments.

His delight on receiving one of these as gift gave the Haradric ambassador hope for a successful mission in the days to come.

A/N:
- “tie” in the musical sense is defined by my dictionary as a “curved line in a score over two notes of the same pitch that are to be played or sung as one.”

Re: Birthday-drabble for IgnobleBard

Imhiriel,

This is wonderfully creepy! The barrow-wights are terrifying and you've captured the moment of transformation perfectly. I hope you don't mind, but I had to share this with some friends who are barrow-wight fans. They gave it a thumbs up.

Thank you, this is truly chilling.

Mike

A cold, harsh whisper chanted repugnant, bone-freezing incantations.

A groping hand touched the body...

The prince stirred.

Whoa!  That was good, and truly chilling!

This is wonderfully creepy! The barrow-wights are terrifying and you've captured the moment of transformation perfectly. I hope you don't mind, but I had to share this with some friends who are barrow-wight fans. They gave it a thumbs up.

I'm very pleased you like it! And of course you may share it with whoever you like - it's your birthday present, after all!
This was my first attempt to write something spooky, so I'm doubly glad it worked even for your more knowledgeable friends.
I didn't even know myself what would happen if a barrow-wright touched you - so you think the prince would be transformed into one himself? And it might even be his spectre/ghost/whatever that imprisons the Hobbits later?

Imhiriel

Whoa! That was good, and truly chilling!

Thank you, Jael! I'm glad I could contribute something fitting for Halloween .

Imhiriel

Re: Birthday-drabble for Raksha

Raksha,

I wish you all the best for your next year - and I wish you the inspiration for many more lovely Faramir-stories! (Me - selfish? Nooo !)

Imhiriel

Tying Notes

Ooh.  And SQUEEE!  This is great.  Wonderful imagery of Faramir sitting cross-legged on the rugs and groovin' to Haradric music, not to mention appreciating it and discussing the music intelligently with the musicians. 

I've been quite spoiled by all the lovely Birthday Prezzies - thank you for the wonderful slices of Faramir's life.

And Belated Happy Birthday to Mike - I wanted to come up with something  for your birthday, but my muse would not cooperate. 

RAKSHA 

Imhiriel,

I think the prince would be transformed into a barrow-wight., and I do think he was the one who imprisoned the Hobbits, they were dressed like princes after all.

I have always thought that they were animated by an evil force inside who just used the body as a host. If this prince is the one who imprisoned the Hobbits, it would seem the body retains some of the "impressions" of the person it once belonged to.

Even more creepy, huh? lol

Mike

Re: Birthday-drabble for Raksha

Ooh. And SQUEEE! This is great.

Still squeeing? Now I'm definitely blushing ! Thank you!

Wonderful imagery of Faramir sitting cross-legged on the rugs and groovin' to Haradric music,

Re: rugs: Do you think "carpets" might be a better choice to describe them? "Rugs" was the word that came to my mind immediately, I didn't even think of other possibilities. If so, I would change it.

not to mention appreciating it and discussing the music intelligently with the musicians.

I had been listening to some Middle Eastern music myself recently (and very much admiring it), which definitely influenced the shaping of the drabble.

Imhiriel

I have always thought that they were animated by an evil force inside who just used the body as a host. If this prince is the one who imprisoned the Hobbits, it would seem the body retains some of the "impressions" of the person it once belonged to.

Even more creepy, huh? lol

You bet!

Imhiriel
...hiding under the blankets...

FOR IGNOBLE BARD

Happy belated birthday, Mike. I'm such a jerk. Still stuck on the last few lines of the horror/scary story of Galadriel, Pippin and the gravy. (I promise I will finish it.) Meanwhile, I submit this with apologies and tears, lots of tears. (It's kind of like when the kid asks grandma for a Gameboy for Christmas and gets pajamas!)

I don't know why I wrote this--reading too much Silmarillion (and Suriel's and greywing's WIPs and Dawn Felagund's novel) probably. Hope it's not too slobberingly sentimental. You get it because of the tears of apology running down my face. (Sorry not only is it not what you asked for, but not fully tweaked either!)

A double drabble--Assuming that Maglor and Maedhros fostered Elrond and Elros together, wouldn't raising the two boys have brought back painful memories of their early life and all of the younger brothers they had lost?

An Old Familiar Song

The chill autumn wind that lifted his hair reminded him that they should soon move on--a good bit farther south, perhaps closer to the sea again.

The skittering of dry leaves across the ground prompted the addition of a few new notes to the melody he unconsciously composed as he walked. His heart lightened at the warm, amber glow of candlelight visible through the window of the little shack. He jogged down the shallow incline, now hearing, in the low, resonant voice of his brother, the strains of a lullaby from his childhood.

Opening the door, he entered. Unexpected, unwanted tears wet his cheeks as he met his brother's vivid eyes.

"Tears, Macalaurë?"

"It was your singing."

"Was it truly that awful?" Maitimo asked, his tone dry with an undercurrent of feigned amusement.

"Do not be a fool," he said, bending over two nearly indistinguishable raven-tressed heads, childish faces slack and rosy in sleep. "It made me think of the others. You were the best older brother we could have ever dreamed of having."

The taller Elf crossed the room in two strides. He folded his brother in his arms and softly held him, humming the old, familiar song.

Aw... Well now I've got tears too, but for a completely different reason. It is scary how you can tug the emotions out of me. That counts as scary, right?

Seriously though, I love stories about brotherly love too. I have a brother that I like to sing with, so this hits closer than you know.

Thanks for the post Halloween treat!

Mike

HeartMike, thank you so much for your gracious of acceptance of my present (and a very happy unbirthday to you!). I really will get you a scary fic.

(Talk about scary--I had a dad like Feanor (and probably would have hoisted a Simaril for him too!) and a very endearing older brother, but enough about stuff I should save for my shrink.)

Oshun

Think nothing of it, I am a shrink. Smile

I have got to read the Silmarillion. I guess I need to make it my New Year's resolution. Maybe that's one I can actually keep. lol

Mike

I'd like to make a suggestion for IgnobleBard--and everyone else who has problems getting through The Silmarillion.

It may help to get the unabridged audio version and listen to it instead.

Having suffered through the Iliad (and Odyssey and Aeneid) in college, I was later surprised to find how much easier it was to listen to on tape (and now I have the first two unabridged on CD).  Of course, they were originally orally transmitted--the repetition is nowhere near as irritating when you listen to it and actually serves a useful purpose.

A confession: the "juvenile" tone of The Hobbit, especially early on, drives me up a wall.  I was to the point where I could not reread it.  So I bought the unabridged audiobook...and have listened to it three times since.

Granted, The Silmarillion was not composed either as oral poetry or a bedtime story.  You will not be able to follow all the characters and plotlines from a single listening, and you will still need a hardcopy as a reference work.  But it may be easier to get past the style, which puts so many people off, and get caught up in the stories...which will then make it easier to be interested in all the details of Elven geneology and geography and so on.  Just put the tape/CD on, close your eyes, and pretend you're sitting in the Hall of Fire in Rivendell!  Smile

Cheers--

Adaneth

Adaneth:

Audio for the Silmarillion (et al)--what a great idea! Thanks for passing it on.

G.A.

An excellent idea, Adaneth, I will check that out.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Happy Birthday Soubretinna

Omg no!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I forget to post a thank you for all these drabbles?? I AM SO SORRY!!!

First, Jay! Ah, yes. The naughty horse-masquerading-as-love-interest short. It's amazing how far you can bend that metaphor, isn't it

Mar'isu- Aw, cute! It took me a moment to work out what was going on- yay for happy little boys when their hero comes to stay- so exciting! Quite a bit of imagery of a holiday in the White City here, too, despite being all-dialogoue (well, nearly), which was nice.

Ignoblebard- Wow. So spare and so wonderfully creepy! Amazing how the unamed voices conjour up the feeling of hypnosis.

Again, I'm very sorry I didn't update this thread, and thank you very, very much for my presents!

Soubrettina

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum