Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: November 2006 Birthdays

November 2006 Birthdays

Calling all November babies! If you have a November birthday, please post your request here.

Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the November challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

November 9, roh_wyn: I've been thinking about Umbar and corsairs and such. I'd like to read something featuring corsairs...and if you can throw in Imrahil or Aragorn as Thorongil, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

November 30, Dean Maia of Este: As a Pervy Avari Fancier I am always interested in how the other Races view them. How would a Man, even one like Aragorn who lived with Elves, react to meeting one? Would a Dwarf be more hostile to them than to any other Elf? Canon characters or OC, actual meeting or talking about them, let's hear about the Avari.

Re: November 2006 Birthdays

Yoohoo! November babies! Post your request in this thread now!

Grin

Gandalfs apprentice 

Dean Maia of Este November 30

As a Pervy Avari Fancier I am always interested in how the other Race view them. How would a Man, even one like Aragorn who lived with Elves reactto meeting one? Would a Drawf be more hostle to them than to any other Elf? Canon characters or OC, actual meeting or talking about them, lets hear about the Avari.

Hi there!

I'm a November baby, and I've been thinking about Umbar and corsairs and such. I'd like to read something featuring corsairs...and if you can throw in Imrahil or Aragorn as Thorongil, that would be great. Thanks in advance!

Happy Birthday, roh_wyn. Here is your corsair.

raided

'Hey ho, hey ho, a pirate's life for me!'

When the man finally left the pub, it was already late. He swayed and had to brace himself against the wall many a time until he reached the road to the docks. He would set sail on the morrow, going north for another raid on Gondor's coast.

One last turn and he would be at his destination where his hammock was waiting for him. But he never reached the ship, for when he arrived, it was reduced to burning timber. Surely this was not real, only caused by the alcohol. Men were screaming and fighting. But the reality was harsh. Gondor had come, and the raiders were now the raided.

Vilwarin

Hi Vilwarin! And thanks for that....that's just the sort of thing I was looking for.

I especially liked this bit: Gondor had come, and the raiders were now the raided.

Thanks again!

You liked it? That is great.

I never wrote a drabble so quickly or without word (or any other writing program - they have only internet on these computers) before. I wrote it at university, just wrote isin the HASA reply box.

~Vilwarin 

A drabble for Dean Maia of Este, who requested the Avari. Although this is not exactly what you asked for, I hope you like it.

Some unknown travelers, in some unknown forest, at some unknown time.

Sentinel

She snugged up his hood, and tucked wayward bangs inside. “Not much further now, sweeting. There’s nothing to fear.”

His mother’s fragile smile gave lie to her words, but the child knew them to be true, even if she did not. Secret eyes watched from the woods, brown and green and curious. He had seen them. He had! Jerrel shushed him when he asked, so he hid the gift they left for him. A milky smooth stone to nestle perfectly in an almost three year old fist, found where no river-tumbled pebble ought to be. Now he had two secrets.

Although the Avari are elusive and reclusive, I like to think that they might occasionally be intrigued by strangers, particularly very young children, passing through their lands.

-Dinromeniel, lurker extraordinaire

Re: November 2006 Birthdays - Dinromeniel

"Although the Avari are elusive and reclusive, I like to think that they might occasionally be intrigued by strangers, particularly very young children, passing through their lands."

Thank You! That is exactly the way I see the Avari.

Dean Maia of Este

Having just written a Imrahil + pirates drabble for Isabeau, I thought my muse would leave me hanging now, claiming she had done her part for the present regarding this topic. But I finally could wrangle her down.
Happy - belated - birthday to you, Roh_wyn!

(And may I say, Vilwarin, that I would dearly have liked to use the same title as you did )

Imhiriel

Edit: Fixed some misspellings and changed the title.

~*~

Battle upon the Quays

Crackling flames cover our shouts of triumph: the young heir to Dol Amroth – only lightly guarded!

Eager to secure this prize, we press the attack, force the Swan-knights into the warren of the port-district.

The prince laughs at the challenge, apparently unperturbed.

Soon the reason becomes obvious: Far from getting lost, the Gondorians turn the flame-illuminated maze to their advantage, exploit every nook and cranny.

Inconceivable!

I alone make it back to the burning quays.

Somehow, I am not surprised when, materialising out of the billowing smoke, a sword points at me, held – I don’t doubt – by the famed Thorongil.

~*~

A/N:
- Title is taken from the corresponding passage in RotK, Appendix A I (iv).

Yo ho, me hearties!  But oops, it looks like the Corsairs got a bit more action than they'd bargained for. 

Nice to see that young Imrahil had a sense of humor!

A rousing action drabble! 

RAKSHA 

>Yo ho, me hearties! But oops, it looks like the Corsairs got a bit more action than they'd bargained for.

*g*

>Nice to see that young Imrahil had a sense of humor!

That's how I imagine him, courageous even in the face of adversity and perhaps a bit reckless in his youth. But I think this laugh was more a bait to goad the pirates to attack.

>A rousing action drabble!

Thank you - action is something I'm still learning/working on. I'm glad it succeeded for you.

Imhiriel

Thanks, Imhiriel! Sorry this response is so late, but that's a very nice drabble indeed. I especially liked that last bit, with Thorongil! Heh.

Thanks, Imhiriel! Sorry this response is so late, but that's a very nice drabble indeed.

Thank you - I'm glad you liked it.

I especially liked that last bit, with Thorongil! Heh.

I had this image of the Captain of the Haven, half-gleeful at having won through as the only one of his men, half-despairing as the yard goes up in flame. And then, out of the smoke, like a mirage, comes Thorongil! I imagine the Captain was sighing resignedly as he prepared for battle .

Imhiriel

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum