Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2007 Birthdays

July 2007 Birthdays

Hello, birthday babies and drabblers! If you have a July birthday, please post your request here. Birthday folk, please visit the HASA Birthday Cards workshop, put your story in it, and enter the July challenge.

If you have questions, please ask.

Gandalfs apprentice

July 2, TariElfLady: I would like a birthday drabble or ficlet about Legolas, Glorfindel, the twins or any other of the Elves from the First Age on.

July 12, Marta: Lately I've become very interested in the politics of Gondor. So I would love a story about any "ruling family" in Gondor's or Dol Amroth's history, where they have to make a decision where there were larger political concerns in addition to what they might have wanted to do. I would love any moment in Gondor's history, starting with the Faithful settling it in the Second Age up through Faramir's and Aragorn's families in the Fourth Age. Though if you write Denethor as an unloving or especially as an abusive father I just may have to release the hounds. I would especially love at least one Kinstrife-era piece if anyone is so inspired to take on that family feud.

July 18, Cheryl (Mirwen Amruniel): I would be very appreciative (and I'm sure quite a number of kindred spirits out there *ahem eruwestial... dawn... arandil...ahem*) if someone would write me a drabble entitled 'WET ELVES'. Any genre, rating, etc is fine. Mwaheheh. 'Twould be a truly capital birthday gift indeed.

July 25, Vilwarin: I would like something with Aragorn in a state of emotion. Preferably with Halbarad in their earlier years, but I'm open for others as well. Rating can be anything, and I'd read het as well as slash.

Re: July 2007 Birthdays

My birthday is July 12, and lately I've become very interested in the politics of Gondor. So I would love a story about any "ruling family" in Gondor's or Dol Amroth's history, where they have to make a decision where there were larger political concerns in addition to what they might have wanted to do.

I would love any moment in Gondor's history, starting with the Faithful settling it in the Second Age up through Faramir's and Aragorn's families in the Fourth Age. Though if you write Denethor as an unloving or especially as an abusive father I just may have to release the hounds. ;-) I would especially love at least one Kinstrife-era piece if anyone is so inspired to take on that family feud.

On behalf of TariElfLady:

I would like a birthday drabble or ficlet about Legolas, Glorfindel, the twins or any other of the Elves from the First Age on.  My birthday is July 2nd.

HASA itself turns 5 on July 1.

Write a drabble for the site that uses the number 5 in some way. If it also involves something about reading or writing, so much the better!

I cannot believe that another year's passed! It went so quickly!!

My birthday is on the 25th and as the year before, I would like something with Aragorn in a state of emotion.  Preferably with Halbarad in their earlier years, but I'm open for others as well. Rating can be anything, and I'd read het as well as slash.

Happy Birthday HASA Wave

Five years it had taken to rebuild the Library after the great fire. No books had been lost, though it had been a close call, the Librarian remembered.

At least she had convinced the King not to move the collection to Pelargir, for her beloved, fragile books could not bear the damp sea air.

She did not relish the new suggestion of moving them to the Archives in Minas Tirith, though at least the air in there was suitably dry. But with Eldacar's Northerners marching on Osgiliath, it was the only way to save the books from a second fire.

Hi, Nath!

Great drabble--and you've managed to meet Marta's request, as well as honor HASA. Well done.

Would you like to post this in the Happy Birthday HASA thread that is set up for that purpose? Also, if you make a separate story out of it, it can be added to the playlist I'm planning to construct for HASA's Fifth Birthday.

Thanks for kicking things off to such a great start!

G.A.

Cool

And both done ...

Birthday-drabble for Tari Elflady

I'm not really keen on the title, so suggestions would be very welcome...

~*~
Two of the characters you mentioned, Tari, and my very first story with Legolas in it.

Happy birthday to you!

Imhiriel

~*~

Legolas shall be for the Elves

Legolas hesitantly entered and stood before the large desk, strewn with reports, training schedules and provision lists.

Glorfindel’s inviting smile turned into a quizzical frown at the other’s apparent discomfort.

“Legolas! The scouts brought back bad news from your home?”

Legolas shook his head mutely, then said in a rush, “You do not take it amiss that I took your place in the Company?”

Glorfindel laughed and came around to stand before Legolas, giving his shoulders a firm squeeze. “You took nothing away from me, never fear. And rest assured that, as ever, Elrond’s choice will prove a wise one.”

~*~

A/N:
- Title is from FotR, The Ring goes South.
- “...and some of these [scouts] had crossed the Mountains and entered Mirkwood...” (ibid.)

It's not really a drabble (by about 4000 words *g*), but since this is all your fault, Marta, have an early birthday trip into Moria...

Happy birthday to Marta!

For Marta's birthday, a heart-warming tale of kinship and kindred spirit within the Kin-strife.

Right. You know me.

Happy early birthday!

Dwim

A Family Affair

Winter, 1422, Pelargir

The door to the study flew open, banging shut as in stalked the Lord of Pelargir, mood black as a crow. Vorondur went straight to the table, where lay a map of Gondor. Pelargir gleamed upon it, picked out in green and gold-leaf ink; leagues distant lay Osgiliath, stark black and white and surrounded by a thin rim of silver, like the intimation of a wall. As if even here, the city made ghostly warning and refusal.

He heard the door handle click, knew who it must be even before he heard the softness of the step, the rustle of a costly silk gown. His eldest daughter, and the jewel of all his treasury, laid her hands upon his back and her chin upon his shoulder. He sighed.

"Do not seek to cozen me," he growled.

"Father," Sorrían murmured, "hear me…"

"He pushes too hard!" Vorondur snapped preemptively. "He seeks to humble me in my own home, before my own council!"

"He does as you hoped he would: hounds the pretender, gathers allies into a great pack," she replied. "He is strong-willed—he will serve our cause well."

"He wants me kneeling to him, daughter," he said. Sorrían sighed, and she turned him gently to her then.

"Yes," she said frankly. "He wants you kneeling to him. He wants you at his side, first among equals. And you should do it, Father."

"Should I?"

"Aye. For you bound me to him for that very reason." And before he could say aught, she turned slightly, standing in profile to him, and she smoothed her gown over her belly… over the slightest bulge he had not noticed hitherto. Vorondur sucked in a breath, and his daughter nodded. "Yes. Your grandchild, sir—may it please the Valar, a fine son to follow us. A son to inherit a throne, if you will bow to Castamir; if not…"

If not, if he strove with Castamir directly for the throne, if he took a wife to stand in place of his late lady once he held the crown, and made his own heir, then there would be no need for this one. Rival lines, however close, were trouble when succession was still unstable, still likely open to contest—must be got rid of, in the end, if there was to be peace…

And Castamir is a strong-willed man.

Women who were with child were said often to glow, and Vorondur fancied he could see a faintly silver cast, like an aura, about his daughter, brightest where that new life grew in her—a bar like that other silver circle.

He could still do it—hold his ground, push back, aim for the heights himself, and knock that ban aside, as he would do the other.

But he knew his choice was made already—had been from the moment Sorrían had shown him, and with a sigh, he opened his arms, beckoning her to him. She came gladly, and he held her for a time, rocking her slightly, as he had when she had been a small girl. Her fate, to be a lass—she would have made a fine lad and so he kissed her cheek and then her brow.

"I will kneel to him," he told her, and when she smiled, continued, cautionary warning: "But my darling, this is now your wager. You rise and fall with him—our house rises and falls with you and your children now. Therefore, keep the leash tight—or if he cannot be well-leashed, then see to the matter yourself once it is safe. For he is a strong-willed man, and if he cannot be controlled in the end…"

She gazed at him, and raised her chin, hand going once more and protectively this time to her belly. "I know, Father," she replied, steel in her voice now. "Fear not—for though he be my lord, I am Necessity's mistress!"

Author's Notes: Borrowing names and filling out a scenario sketched in my story, A Very Rain of Sparrows.

My birthday is on the 18th of July and....  *pervy elf fancier hat firmly on*

I would be very appreciative (and I'm sure quite a number of kindred spirits out there *ahem eruwestial... dawn... arandil...ahem*) if someone would write me a drabble entitled 'WET ELVES'. =^p Any genre, rating, etc is fine.

Mwaheheh. 'Twould be a truly capital birthday gift indeed.

Kisses,

Cheryl

(Mirwen Amruniel) 

Here, Marta--and a happy birthday.  And when I get the next chapter of "Stirring Rings" up, hopefully in the next two days, do check it out, for it looks very much at the politics of Gondor and Arnor.

-----------------

Word of Resignation

Finduilas looked up as the door to the nursery on the upper floor of the Steward's quarters opened and then closed once more, admitting her husband into the room where she was supervising the changing of small Boromir's garb for the coming meal.  Ordinarily the child ate separately from his parents and grandfather; but this evening they were to host Lord Forlong, who had a definite fondness for the Steward's grandson and so enjoyed the small boy's company he insisted he be included in the meal welcoming the Lord of Lossarnach to the city.  "Has he arrived within the Citadel?" she asked.  "I only heard the news of his entrance into the city a quarter mark past, and cannot see how he should have climbed so swiftly up the levels."

"No--Forlong is yet on his way."

Something in the manner in which he answered her alerted her to the fact that there was something that had disturbed Denethor, although she could not tell whether he was more upset or excited by whatever the news was to which he was reacting.  She gave their son a last inspection and directed the nurse, "Take him then to the gardens but see to it he does not soil his clothing."  Once the woman had withdrawn with the child, she turned back toward her husband.  "What is it?  Is your father not well?  Or has my brother announced an unexpected betrothal?"

He shook his head.  "My lord father is well enough, although his councils have been much disturbed.  As for Imrahil--you would know of the possibility of a betrothal long before I--of that I am certain."  He ran a slender finger once more over the fading scar where an orc scimitar had caught him on the brow just below the hair line, a wound that had been tended by----

"How is it then with the Lord Captain Thorongil?" she asked.  "Has word come on how serious was the wound he took in the assault on the harbor of Umbar?  Has he come at last to Minas Tirith?  Have they taken him to the Houses of Healing, or has he returned to his quarters in the officers' barracks in the Sixth Circle?"

He shook his head, and she realized he was pleased, worried, anxious, and disapproving all at the same time.  "Nay, the honored Captain has not returned to the White City--indeed, it appears it may well be quite some time ere we see him again--if ever."  She could hear the mockery he tended to infuse ever into Thorongil's title when he must use it in the past few years.

"His injury is so bad?"

Again he shook his head.  "My father has received a letter from him, delivered during the meeting of the Council.  You know that during the assault on Umbar he and two others were separated from the rest, and that he was last seen with his aide and one of his younger troupers sailing north up the river in a commandeered ketch?"

"Yes--of course-- the story of seeing him leaning on the rail, holding the tiller, with shirt removed and a great bandage about his abdomen while his aide set the sails has been discussed how many times over the past two weeks?"

His left shoulder lifted in a shrug, echoed by his left brow.  "Yes--true enough.  The report came this morning that the ketch was found four days back some two leagues south of the port of Pelargir.  Ranger trackers have examined the site, and have found indications that those on the ketch were met by someone on horseback.  Such was the nature of the hoof prints, however, that it is plain this horse was not shod by any smith within Gondor or Rohan.  The obvious answer to the riddle is that whoever it was come to meet him must be either from amongst our enemies, or more likely, from amongst his own people from the north."

"You are so certain he is from Arnor, then?"

Denethor's expression was quite grim as he nodded.  "Oh, I am indeed certain he is from the remnant of the north kingdom."

She examined his face, at last asking quietly, "Do you think it--possible--possible he might be----"

"Isildur's heir?  Anything is possible, I must suppose," he answered sourly.  "But if he is, he has made no claims in all the years he has served in either Rohan or Gondor; and he has refused point-blank to answer that question when put to him by my honored father.  Or," he added thoughtfully, "so the Steward of Gondor has informed me."

"Then what?"

"He sent a letter resigning his commission as an officer of Gondor's forces.  He stated that word had come that there had been major losses amongst his own people, to the extent that his presence was needed there immediately.  He stated also that he intends to return, should he believe the time is right for it and his presence is both needed and desired by the people of Gondor and the city."

"I see," she murmured.

"The letter was brought by the young soldier," he continued, "who will not tell what he might have witnessed of that meeting.  He will say only that one claiming to be the Lord Captain's older brother met with them, and that he cannot say in what language the discussion between Thorongil and the newcomer was held save that it was one he does not understand.  The paper on which the letter was sent is of Gondorian manufacture, so it is believed that Thorongil's aide was the source of paper, ink, and pen used in the writing of the letter."

"I see," she repeated slowly.

The two of them faced one another quietly for a time.  At last he said, "So much for my father's hopes for the return of the King," his voice half triumphant, half bitter.

"At least," she responded, "it appears that you shall succeed your father as ruling Steward."

"So it would seem."

She smiled into his grey eyes, hoping to reassure him; but in the depths of her heart she was saddened, for as much as she loved her husband she yet believed the Lord Captain would be sorely needed, and as much by her husband as by the realm as a whole.  And for the obvious relief she could see in Denethor that this rival was now gone from Gondor, yet she realized that in the depths of his own heart he was bereft, for there yet remained a portion of him that had also hoped for the return of the King--now.

Happy belated birthday, Tari

This drabble falls under the "any other of the Elves from the First Age on" part of your request - sorry, the men-folk just weren't talking to me!

Dwim

Innocence

As a child, she listened—to kings and counselors, hounds and horses, bees and beetles; to wind and heat, snowfall and seductive waters. To music. To her mother.

Long she listened, then one day, spoke—and the world trembled.

For she spoke mountains. Beauty. Fire. Passion. Sleep—that between life and death that makes souls rise from flesh.

Then Melian took her daughter by the hand, and kissed her mouth, and proclaimed: "Lúthien thou art indeed, but no Child was born to speak so. In Silence forget thyself, therefore, until comes the better forgetting, when thou shalt Speak once more!"

"Lúthien thou art"—'Lúthien' means 'enchantress.' Given that she was possessed eventually by some divine spark and moved Mandos to pity, I have this image of a precocious child bringing down storms just by singing about them in this intensely polyphonic voice until mommy was forced to intervene on behalf of the world.

I am slowly but surely making it through my birthday pressies. Thank you!

For those interested, I have set up a story in the Birthday Card Workshop for you to add them. Please do that when you get a chance.

Happy birthday to you, Marta!

Please excuse the tardiness of my present, I had difficulties with wording this drabble the way I wanted to.

Imhiriel

~*~

Return of the King

“I don’t want to return.”

Vinitharya – Eldacar – sat crosslegged before his kinsman’s hearth, staring bleakly into the fire.

“But you know you have to.”

A deep sigh. “Yes.”

“Your folk – your land – needs you.”

“Is Gondor my land, though? The people who have driven me out ‘my folk’?”

His eyes were captured by an implacable if sympathetic gaze. “You are their rightful king. Wishes don’t matter. And not all of them have betrayed you.”

“...And are persecuted for it!”

“So...?”

Another sigh, resigned and determined at once. “So it’s high time to march south and fulfil my oath of protection.”

~*~

A/N:
- “But Eldacar eluded his enemies, and came to the North, to his kinsfolk in Rhovanion... Thus he [Castamir] had been king only ten years, when Eldacar, seeing his time, came with a great army out of the north, and folk flocked to him from Calenardhon and Anórien and Ithilien.” (RotK, Appendix A I (iv))

Re: Happy birthday to Marta!

Dwim, this was fabulous. I really liked the queen, she had a tentativeness to her that was really very intriguing. She seemed both weak and strong at the same time somehow. And it was exactly the kind of story I hoped for; family matters are so important to this period.

And yay for a return to AVRS. You know how much I love that fic, and I was glad to touch on some of the same characters and scenarios.

I liked this, Larner. The leaving of Aragorn from Gondor is one I like to see fleshed out, and it provides a nice situation for Denethor and Finduilas to react to one another about. Thanks for writing me this.

The Blessing of the Waters - for Cheryl

Happy Birthday, Cheryl; even if a bit late!

Here's a Wet Elves quadrabble - though probably a bit more melancholy than you had in mind.

RAKSHA

The Blessing of the Waters

Anar lay low, Ithil rose, and my father steered Gil-Estel across the evening sky. I turned my eyes to a fairer sight: my lady herself. Celebrían arose from the river and flew to me like a great swan, her skin glistening, water streaming from her long silver hair.

I still wondered that she had left the peace of the Golden Wood and had come to wed me and bear our children. I had never thought to know happiness after the loss of parents, foster-father, brother and king. Celebrían had filled my days with contentment, my nights with joy.

She fit easily into my waiting arms, with grace and the comfort of long practice. Celebrían would quite soon depart to visit Lorien; and we yearned to spend as much time together as we could before her leavetaking.

The sky suddenly darkened. Mist clouded the Bruinen, or is it my eyes? Celebrían and I shivered at the same time. I remembered then, that the waters had divided me from my brother, and had sundered our parents from us so long ago. A glimpse of Mithlond flickered in my mind, a swift ship leaving its shore forever as my children wept at my side. What fell portent was this?

Celebrían laid her cheek against mine, and pressed my hand with her own strong, silken fingers. Surely this was an idle fancy, I thought. Clouded skies need not be harbingers of doom. Clouds can bring fruitful rain or merely hang placidly in the heavens. And no one in our small family showed any sign of sea-longing.

"Come with me now, melethron," Celebrían challenged, mischief in her eyes. "Let us bathe once more before the night falls."

We both stood up, and, hand in hand, ran to the river. The air was yet warm with the last heat of a fading summer day, the water cool against our skin. We dove and swam, and splashed like foolish children.

It was the last time that I heard her laugh.

Many months later, as I soothe my weeping daughter and try not to weep myself while we watch the ship carry the bitterly wounded Celebrían away, I remember that evening. And I bless the waters: the Bruinen for the joy we found there, and the Great Sea itself, that will take her far from danger into the West and the healing that I could not give her.

Re: The Blessing of the Waters - for Cheryl

Raksha, this is beau-ti-ful! And the sadness of it is even more enhanced by the lovely pictures you paint. The way you weave images of water throughout the story is particularly effective.

I especially loved the first paragraph - the picture of Celebrían emerging from the waters into the moonlit night is one that will linger with me.

Imhiriel

Poor Elrond! It never occured to me that he would blame himself for being unable to heal her.  I like how he remembers the last time they were happy together, and I like that he rather humanly dismisses his premonitions. 

Well done!

Raksha, this is beau-ti-ful! And the sadness of it is even more enhanced by the lovely pictures you paint. The way you weave images of water throughout the story is particularly effective.

I especially loved the first paragraph - the picture of Celebrían emerging from the waters into the moonlit night is one that will linger with me.

Imhiriel

Thanx, Imhiriel; everything just kinda flowed, if you can forgive another water-image.  Elrond, I think, deserved better than he ultimately got, but he got more than many Elves did.  I've always been very fond of Elrond, and wish that Tolkien had given us more info about Celebrian.

RAKSHA

Poor Elrond! It never occured to me that he would blame himself for being unable to heal her.  I like how he remembers the last time they were happy together, and I like that he rather humanly dismisses his premonitions. 

Well done!

Thanx much, Branwyn; and WELCOME BACK to HASA! 

I would think that Elrond might get exasperated with a preponderance of portentious thoughts; not every dark cloud would foretell dire happenings.  And as a healer, he would find it frustrating and probably something of a failure that he could not restore his beloved wife to full health.

RAKSHA

For Vilwarin (and G.A.)

I'm sorry this is late - I swear I tried uploading last night, but was thwarted by my computer's browser not working.

Anyhow, the story is Cuts Gone Wrong. Last year, G.A. got a slice of it for her birthday, and it's taken me forever to wend my way towards a resolution. It starts in one place and ends in another, but I think it works well enough.

So: Aragorn, emotion, Rangering.

Dwim

Re: For Vilwarin (and G.A.)

And a fine story it is, Dwim!

It must have been indeed an emotional, as well as physical, change, for Aragorn to go from pampered Elven fosterling living safe in Rivendell to a rookie Ranger roughing it on the road and taking abuse from the ignorant yokels he was pledged to protect.

I liked the interplay between Aragorn and the older, experienced Ranger, and the bit at the end with the latter's own revelation of misadventure.

RAKSHA

Re: For Vilwarin (and G.A.)

Hi Raksha,

And a fine story it is, Dwim!

Thanks, Raksha!

I liked the interplay between Aragorn and the older, experienced Ranger, and the bit at the end with the latter's own revelation of misadventure.

After all that work to emphasize that there's a need to look for (and so correlatively, to make oneself available to) others who can demonstrate that you're not going through some unique trial, it was an obligatory revelation in its way. ;-)

TTFN,

Dwim

P.S. I notice the proliferation of test forums. Is that related to the forums not updating on the "Recently updated forums" section of the page?

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum