Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: July 2009 Birthday Cards

July 2009 Birthday Cards

July has begun. Summertime! I suspect many prefer to spend much of their time in the sun (or in cooling water ) rather than in front of a computer... But why not use the time you have to do the latter to be creative and bring joy to a fellow HASA member?

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in July and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread.

Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the July Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the Birthday Cards Workshop the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

Any questions or suggestions? Simply use this thread or, if you prefer, e-mail me privately.

=================================================

July, 12th - Marta: I have become increasingly interested in The Hobbit. I would love especially a story about Dale, Esgaroth, and the men/dwarves/elves of that region, but would be happy for a piece tied to an earlier part of the adventure, or a prequel/sequel as well. I also wouldn't say no to hearing what your favorite character was getting up to during the quest for Esgaroth, or how the aftereffects of those events impacted them.

July, 15th - Maeglin: I'd like to see something (non-slash) about Erestor. For example - how did he come to be a member of the White Council? I assume of course that he was on it [...].
Also, something I would really like to see [...] is a 'Feanor Survives' (at least for a little while) story, again non-slash.

July, 25th - Vilwarin: There are a lot of interactions between members of different cultures or even races, and I'm sure that they must have had the same experiences. So I would like to see glimpses into such interactions, especially if a character finds himself struggling in a different society all on their own. As always, I would be especially grateful if you included Aragorn.

Re: July 2009 Birthday Cards

I'd like to see something (non-slash) about Erestor.  For example - how did he come to be a member of the White Council?  I assume of course that he was on it - the member list of the WC (3rd Age) I've seen most often is: Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond, Celeborn, Glorfindel, and Erestor.  That's quite a group!  

Also, something I would really like to see (but this is really too much for a 'birthday card' - I'd try to make it a Challenge but those don't seem to be active anymore) is a 'Feanor Survives' (at least for a little while) story, again non-slash.  We've seen a number of 'Boromir Survives' tales - they make for interesting AUs.  But, shock of shocks, there doesn't seem to be a single story on HASA that substantially alters Feanor's end!  

My birthday is on July 25th and I'm in the midst of a four months stay in England. During that time I experienced embarrassing misunderstandings and discovered some stereotypes to be true.

There are a lot of interactions between members of different cultures or even races, and I'm sure that they must have had the same experiences. So I would like to see glimpses into such interactions, especially if a character finds himself struggling in a different society all on their own. As always, I would be especially grateful if you included Aragorn.

Maeglin,

on which date is your birthday?

Imrahil
HASA Birthday Volunteer

[ETA] Do you have some canonical information that Erestor is member of the White Council? The sources I've looked up don't mention him as such. Or are you mainly rely on fanon?

Hi, Imrahil. My source, though you may laugh, is Wikipedia: "Other possible members are said to be among the mightiest of Elves, the Elf-lord Glorfindel; Elrond's chief counsellor Erestor; and Celeborn, Galadriel's husband. The two Blue Wizards were not part of the Council. Tolkien does not give a list of all the members of the council, 'other lords of the Eldar' is as close as The Silmarillion gives to a list." If you want to be completely canonical, I doubt you would want to write such a story, because (as far as I know) JRRT didn't give us much material on Erestor (aside from the Council of Elrond in 3018 T. A.) to work with. I think the key quoted phrases are: "Tolkien does not give a list of all the members ..." and "other lords of the Eldar." There is also the First White Council (held in the 2nd Age after the fall of Eregion). Of course, if you don't like the idea, don't write the story, or write a different one! The White Council idea was only an example. My birthday is on the 15th, but don't worry about the specific day.

Thanks!

Maeglin

Hi Maeglin,

thanks for the info re: Erestor. As to your birthday date, I asked because I need it to put the right info in the header post of this thread (and, which you can see I just edited to do just that ).

I don't know if I will be able to write something for you myself - my muse went AWOL some time last winter and hasn't been found yet (I suspect an avalanche or a broken-off ice floe or something equally dire - at least she'd better have as serious an excuse once she does appear again...).

Imhiriel

My birthday is July 12, and I have become increasingly interested in The Hobbit. I would love especially a story about Dale, Esgaroth, and the men/dwarves/elves of that region, but would be happy for a piece tied to an earlier part of the adventure, or a prequel/sequel as well. I also wouldn't say no to hearing what your favorite character was getting up to during the quest for Esgaroth, or how the aftereffects of those events impacted them. Anything along those lines would be great.

I haven't set up my birthday drabble story yet, but will over the next few days.

"I haven't set up my birthday drabble story yet, but will over the next few days."  This is my first birthday as a HASA member, so I'm not familiar with the mechanics of this process.  Do I have to create a new story which others can edit in order to add my 'presents'? 

Thanks!

Maeglin

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in July and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread.

So make a request. Look at the other requests for ideas on what to request: time, place, characters, events or whatever strikes your fancy.

Maeglin,

you don't have to do anything further than what you have already done (stated your request) to get birthday cards. They will be posted in this thread (that is, of course, if authors get inspired by your prompt ),

Now, if you'd like to collect your birthday cards all in one place, the best way to do that is to create a workshop story. Please look at the information in very first post of this thread, it gives you pointers and links on how/where to do that. If you need further help, please ask me and I'll guide you through the process.

The monthly birthday challenges are to collect all the requests by various birthday folks in their respective months in one place. If there are enough birthday cards in the birthday workshop stories in any given month (5 different cards, no matter in which birthday folk's workshop story), they will be displayed as a regular Challenge on the non-member side of HASA.

You don't have to participate in the challenge; but if you want to, you do have to create a workshop story and the birthday cards have to be entered in it 1) either by yourself or 2) by the respective authors (I recommend the latter, because then the authors can edit entries themselves if they need/want to).

Does this short explanation help?

Imhiriel
Birthday Cards Volunteer

Here, Marta.  A bit of the aftereffects, I suppose.

Final Considerations

How could I have threatened him?  He's shown far greater integrity than have I, who named myself King Under the Mountain.  I spoke and acted from greed, while he acted from a desire for fairness and peace between Elves and Men and those of us who came expecting only to retrieve but a pittance of what Smaug stole from us!  Now I die, but he shall live.  Well, may he live in the blessedness he deserves!

Ah, Bilbo Baggins!  May the hair on your feet never thin, may your table ever groan with food, may your heirs reflect your honor!

For Marta

You asked what my favourite character was up to during the quest. Even though he does not appear in the Hobbit, he was certainly there. Here's a bit of frustrated Estel for you. Happy Birthday, Marta.

It is unfair

Estel sat on his bed, hugging his legs and resting his head on his knees, and mused over the unfairness of life. They were having a feast and he was stuck in his room. It was always the same. You are too young, Elrond said, wait a few years, his mother said, you have to grow some more, the twins said. But how much did he have to grow? The smallest one of the newcomers' company was surely smaller than he; so why was that one allowed to come and he was not? Estel hopped down from the bed and opened the door to his balcony. He could clearly hear the voices raised in song. "Unfair," he shouted and kicked one of the boards. "Estel," came the angry call from his mother in the next room, "come in this instant. It is past your bed time!"

Down below in the garden Bilbo Baggins turned his head, wondering where the voices had come from. Maybe there was another who felt somehow out of place. "Who is there?" He called back. But the only answer he got was the slamming of a door.

Celeborn

"You ... sent ... thirteen ... Naugrim ... to ... stir ... up ... a ... dragon?"

His heart-son replied calmly as if he were discussing an agreement to trade cloth. "And Mithrandir."

The wizard, was, of course, sitting at the same council table as the Elves were, discussing how to eject the Necromancer from Dol Goldur.

Celeborn, springing out of his seat, did not even bother to answer the fool. "Orophin! My arms! Erestor, Glorfindel, come with me! Let us pray we are not too late!"

The Lord of Lorien's voice carried as the Elves hurried down the hall. "Erestor, bring your real arms, not those toys you wear to avoid offending me when I visit. Now is not the time for manners! Are there any others here who have fought dragons? Inglor? Good, he can join us."

Mithrandir had also left the room, leaving Elrond alone with Galadriel.

"Really, Elrond, thirteen Dwarves and a Halfling to slay Smaug? You might as well have sent them to Orodruin to vanquish Sauron! Handalóra!"  The Lady then left as well, leaving the Lord of Imladris alone at the head of the ornate table.

Handalóra = "idiot" in Quenya.

This probably violates the canonical timeline more than a bit, but I couldn't resist.

Thanks, everyone, for the drabbles. I have set up my story for birthday drabbles, so please add them here.

Larner: I like this view of Thorin. I tend to think of him as crusty and a bit pompous, but death is the great equalizer. He needs some kinder!gentler! treatment, and this definitely delivers that.

Maeglin: Very nice! Celeborn is probably my favorite elf, and you breathe such life into him. His indignation is palpable and I love that he takes arms like that. Plus you made Galadriel call someone "Idiot!", which earns major chuckle-points in my book.

Vilwarin: Hee! You capture a young and frustrated Aragorn perfectly. When I was about that age, I wanted to hang out with the adults and was never allowed, so I know the feeling perfectly.

Thanks again. :-)

Thanks, everyone, for the drabbles. I have set up my story for birthday drabbles, so please add them here.

Larner: I like this view of Thorin. I tend to think of him as crusty and a bit pompous, but death is the great equalizer. He needs some kinder!gentler! treatment, and this definitely delivers that.

Maeglin: Very nice! Celeborn is probably my favorite elf, and you breathe such life into him. His indignation is palpable and I love that he takes arms like that. Plus you made Galadriel call someone "Idiot!", which earns major chuckle-points in my book.

Vilwarin: Hee! You capture a young and frustrated Aragorn perfectly. When I was about that age, I wanted to hang out with the adults and was never allowed, so I know the feeling perfectly.

Thanks again. :-)

Oh, this is TOO perfect!  Just the right, most natural reaction to this situation by Celeborn and Galadriel--and I agree with Marta about Galadriel calling Gandalf an idiot!  Hilarious!  Love it!

Thanks!  Glad you enjoyed it! 

Maeglin

For Maeglin: The Nearer View

Well, I honestly didn't think Erestor would talk to me, but here you go! Sorry it's a bit late - hope you had a happy birthday, Maeglin.

Dwim 

The Nearer View

They were Elrond's two supports, black and gold, night and day. Once, they'd been a set of three, but silver had departed, and mourning hung heavy over Imladris.

But the White Council must still meet. Erestor, ever Celebrían's steward, put himself at the disposal of Imladris's new lady, leaving conciliar concerns to Glorfindel. Elrond, however, was otherwise minded than his counselors.

"I, my lord? Attend the Council?" Erestor asked, standing shocked in his master's day room but days before the guests' arrival. "But what of Glorfindel? My wisdom is of smaller realms, and nearer lands than all of Middle-earth!"

Elrond in his window looked long to the west. "The small and the near must be dear to us as well," he said, then finished flatly: "And he is too much the light of other lands. You will serve."

The light of other lands.

"My lord," Erestor said, then, quietly, "I will serve, but if I am to counsel you, then hear the first words of your advisor."

"And they are?"

"That I alone cannot suffice you."

There was thunder in those grey eyes when Elrond turned to him, as rarely there had ever been, yet Erestor stood unmoving and unmoved as the moments stretched like spidersilk. At last:

"It is a wise counselor, who knows his limits – and his lord's. Very well." Elrond inclined his head. "You will both serve."

This time, Erestor bowed low. "Gladly, and with all my means!"

Re: For Maeglin: The Nearer View

Thanks, Dwim!  "That I alone cannot suffice you." - wisdom indeed!  That was very believable, interesting, and (I think) consistent with the tiny shred of pre-3018 Erestor 'canon' (which is just like a one-line mention in HOME, right?)  I appreciate it.

Best,

Maeglin

Here is my own view.

Celeborn considered the makeup of the Council.  Two Maiar, three Ringbearers, the reborn Glorfindel - and himself.  There were to be eight Members, with five votes needed to decide policies, so one had yet to be added.  The nomination of the final member was his to make, but the others could reject it.

Of those who both had the lineage necessary to sit on the Council and were worth considering, the only ones whose whereabouts were certain were Thranduil and Erestor.  There were a few others like Gildor who had the lineage, but to put it kindly, Eru had not favored them with the greatest of mental faculties.

"You would not consider Thranduil?  He is, after all, the only King among us," the silver-haired lord proposed.

All except Cirdan shook their heads.  This was to be a council of the Wise, and the implicit vote on whether Thranduil was wise was five to two against him.

With the current seven, in matters where the interests of the Quendi of Ennor conflicted with 'the greater good', Celeborn knew well that he would have as many as six votes against him.  The Istar would not favor the Elves.  Glorfindel seemed practically a Maia, and one could never be sure where his mind truly rested.  Elrond had strange ideas based on some unpronounceable, foreign word, self-abne-something, and no longer resembled Gil-galad's herald.   Cirdan would usually side with Celeborn, but was too close to Ulmo and Osse.  And his own wife would cast away all for the chance to return to Valinor.

Though Celeborn had hated Erestor for two Ages, at least the latter could be counted on to favor the Quendi, so at the worst, he would have one ally.  Associating that word with the heart-son of Curufin was a bitter irony, but such were the days in which they lived.

Here, Maeglin!

Counselors 

Scholar, musician, and warrior--such had been the father of the heart for Elrond and his brother Elros.  Having so few memories of their own parents, it was perhaps natural that the two young peredhil would find themselves honoring those skills.

So it was that when he came to build and order his own household Elrond sought out those who would assist him to maintain such gifts and skills in himself.  And so he welcomed Glorfindel, Lord of the House of the Golden Flower, to his hearth and home--a warrior who, having passed through death in the embrace of a Balrog, held no fear within himself.  He welcomed also Lindir, minstrel, harpist, singer--his heart beat to the echoes of skeins of music; his feet danced through the day; his fingers found melody and rhythm and brought them forth; his voice lifted in song and tale, firing images of glory and grief in the imaginations of his listeners.  And what little Elrond himself might forget of all he had seen, experienced, heard, or read could be summoned from the prodigious memory of Erestor. 

Between the discernment and sensitivity of his beloved Celebrían and the counsel and support of these three, Elrond served his people well.  That he should insist each of them be granted a place in the White Council went without challenge.

Re: For Marta

I so love thinking of young Estel furious at being left out!  Nice, Wilwarin.

I can so see Erestor insisting on Glorfindel as another counselor, but Elrond wanting both, each for his own gifts.  Excellent, Dwim.

That's a really great piece, Dwim. Both the scene and the characters seem very real.

Larner - Bravo!  That was great!  It was really neat how you connected the choices to Elrond's memories of Maglor, and that you added Lindir.  I can see Elrond thinking and acting exactly as you described.

Thanks,

Maeglin

<<<<Celeborn

"You ... sent ... thirteen ... Naugrim ... to ... stir ... up ... a ... dragon?">>>

This is great!  I loved seeing Celeborn go ballistic like that; and Galadriel come off her high horse a bit!  Poor Elrond; especially since one day he will send a hobbit, among others, to Orodruin to vanquish Sauron.  And the Naugrim did trigger Smaug's destruction after all.

Poor, poor Thorin.  I always wished he could have lived; he had a really hard life and deserved to see Erebor prosper again.

<<<Dwim 

The Nearer View>>>

A lovely vignette, Dwim; with beautiful language.  Excellent spotlight on the relationship of Elrond and Erestor.

<<<You asked what my favourite character was up to during the quest. Even though he does not appear in the Hobbit, he was certainly there. Here's a bit of frustrated Estel for you. Happy Birthday, Marta.

It is unfair >>>

This is great, Vilwarin!  I can so see little Estel, frustrated at the incredibly UNFAIR restrictions by adults, having a tantrum because he can't come out and see the interesting guests.  This is very credible for even a smart and brave ten-year-old.

Here is my own view.

Interesting speculations - do you have a longer story (that I've missed) where some of the Neater Bits are further detailed, such as Celeborn having hated Erestor for two Ages, Erestor being Curufin's protege, Thranduil being unwise...Nice to see Celeborn characterized as a practical, politically-minded sort. 

Your birthday request has inspired me to write an Erestory - well; it's even more an Elrond & Elros story, but Erestor plays a key role.  Of course, it's gonna be way longer than a drabble.  Sigh.

Marta - my muses are partying on the Cote d'Azur and won't help me with The Hobbit-era plotbunnies.   I can barely get them to help with First Age dialogue, not to mention a post-Ring War story I started awhile ago.  Confusticated Muses!

Hi, Raksha.  Thanks for the interest!  I have a number of `Erestories' (heh heh). Some are in my drabble collection, and some are off-list.  I took 'Until the Sun is Dead' off-list because it was too much an info dump and I'd like to mix the 'info' into a longer story, but I'll put the one chapter that's in readable (though info-dump) shape back into beta status. 'My' Erestor borrows elements from Oshun's, Spaceweavil's, and Dawn Felagund's, but I make him Celebrimbor's sister's husband, hence the 'heart-son' of Curufin.

Best,

Maeglin   

It is unfair

This is great, Vilwarin!  I can so see little Estel, frustrated at the incredibly UNFAIR restrictions by adults, having a tantrum because he can't come out and see the interesting guests.  This is very credible for even a smart and brave ten-year-old.

Thank you so much. I can well remember my childhood and how my elder brother was allowed to do things that I wasn't; so this was something quite near to my heart. And I loved screaming and hitting things *blush* Anyway, I'm glad it is believable for Estel.

Hi, Vilwarin.  A bit late, but here you go.

Cave and Dell

One thing Legolas had learned about Samwise Gamgee was that though he at times stumbled over words, he had an excellent memory for them.  At the moment, this was a source of consternation.

"And the Lady said 'We must depart to the West, or dwindle to a rustic folk of dell and cave, slowly to forget and to be forgotten.'  What a pity!  To have to sail and leave home, or else to dwindle.  A shame that if our Quest succeeds, this place will fade." the Hobbit said wistfully.

Sam was surprised to see Legolas' bright eyes darken.

"A-rustic-folk-of-dell-and-cave." the Prince of Mirkwood spoke as if to himself.  "Sam, do you know what sort of folk she was referring to?  Surely Bilbo told you of his time in my father's Halls."

Sam reddened.  "She meant ... they would become like your folk?"  The Lady had meant that?

"I suppose that to suffer the inconveniences wrought by Time is more than the Lady could bear.  She has fought the Enemy since before my father was born, so I will not speak ill of her.  But know, Sam, that we rustic folk have done well enough in our caves."

But Legolas was not Thranduil, much less Oropher, so he laughed off the old resentment and said to the Hobbit, "As have your people!  Your hole on Bagshot Row is not a 'cave', is it?  Well, neither is mine." 

Legolas smiled.  "Oh, and Sam?  If you wish to know more of the indignity of living in a cave, you should ask Lord Celeborn.  He has given ... much study to the matter!"

The confused Hobbit watched the Elf, who acted like the Prince he was only on rare occasions, break up in laughter.

Thank you so much, maeglin.

I especially loved that line:  Legolas smiled.  "Oh, and Sam?  If you wish to know more of the indignity of living in a cave, you should ask Lord Celeborn.  He has given ... much study to the matter!" So true!

Oh, Maeglin, this is my favourite member of the Fellowship, and you've got him perfectly.

The confused Hobbit watched the Elf, who acted like the Prince he was only on rare occasions, break up in laughter.

That's gorgeous - lucky Vilwarin!

Celeborn (by Maeglin)

That is fabulous. Perfect opening line.  And "Erestor, bring your real arms, not those toys you wear to avoid offending me when I visit".  Hee. Never mind the canonical timeline, you're right, the temptation is irresistible.

Poor old Elrond - but he is proved right in the end! 

(Blush) thanks to all for the kind words! 

Maeglin

For Vilwarin and Cheryl

Vilwarin had asked for a story in which members of different races come to know each other, and Cheryl wished a story involving Legolas. My current chapter for my story "In Empty Lands" includes both. I hope both of you enjoy it!

Breakfast Council

Early the following morning Boromir was awakened by a knock at the door to his chamber.  "Come!" he called.

The Elf Lindir opened the door to bring in a fresh ewer of water for the stand.  "If it please you, my lord," he said as he exchanged it for the one that now stood by the basin. "Lord Elrond asks that you join him and certain others to break your fast.  There is a need to discuss who else shall join the party that accompanies the Ringbearer.  I will return shortly to lead you there."

It was a summons the son of the Steward had been anticipating.  He sighed as he threw back his covers in the echo of the closing of the door and rose to set about readying himself for the day.

Within a fairly short time he was being shown into a private dining chamber where several tables had been set in a rough circle.  The Lord of Imladris himself was present, with Mithrandir by his side, both seated at what was apparently the one table within the room that was usually here.

"Welcome, Lord Boromir," he was greeted by the master of the house.

"My Lord Elrond," he returned with a bow he knew his father would have approved of, then accepted the seat shown him by Master Lindir.

The door opened, and someone was ushering in three of the Dwarves, white-haired Glóin, his russet-haired son, and a third from their party.  These paused politely within the door and greeted their host, who welcomed them as courteously as he had Boromir, then took seats side by side as three Elves entered together, followed by two more, one the golden-haired Legolas of Mirkwood.  A dark-haired Elf accompanied a Man into the room, tall and venerable.  And at last the door opened to admit Bilbo Baggins and his kinsman Frodo, the latter somewhat warily from what Boromir could see.  At this Elrond rose swiftly, as did the others about the tables, including Boromir.  The Gondorian, however, felt a twinge of annoyance that the Elven lord would show this mark of respect to a mere Perian when he had merely inclined his head to the Steward's son.  He immediately suppressed his annoyance, however, knowing that what this Halfling carried was far more important than mere Stewards or their heirs!

Elrond examined the two Halflings.  "And Master Samwise agreed to be parted from you?" he asked as Frodo was aided into a chair.

The Perian paled, although his cheeks became notably pinker.  His voice, however, was calm enough as he answered, "I set him to keeping a strict eye on Pippin, who has become particularly rebellious at the possibility he might be denied the chance to go further.  He has been insisting that he did not come all this way to be sent back home as if he were but a child, and he would be here now facing you with his complaints if he were left to his own devices, I fear."

Mithrandir shivered.  "Ah, then you are to be commended, Frodo.  I warn you, Elrond--Hobbits are themselves tenacious, as you know.  Peregrin Took, however, has raised that talent to new heights!"

"You should try standing against a Took, a Brandybuck, and a Gamgee together some time!" Frodo muttered, and the Wizard gave a soft laugh.

"I had wondered when Butterbur told me that you had three companions."

The Hobbit grimaced.  "I assure you, Gandalf, it was not my idea."

"Paladin and Saradoc must be out of their minds with worry, having their heirs disappeared in this manner."

"Uncle Pal will skin me alive when we return, and will never believe that I didn't tell them about it, even.  And to think that Merry and Pippin had Sam spying on me for them!"

The Wizard laughed aloud.  "You are loved by your own, Frodo Baggins!"

Frodo shrugged, then turned to thank the Elf who set a goblet before him.

Elrond turned to the Dwarves.  "You and our smiths were working on the Sword yesterday?"

Glóin nodded his white head.  "Yes--we were deciding what method to use to separate the mithril from the steel.  We should have that done within three days.  I must leave once that is finished, or I will be in danger of not returning over the mountains before they become impassable with the winter weather."

The Master of Rivendell indicated his understanding before taking a deep breath and looking about at those who were gathered.  He indicated that the meal should be served, dismissing the servers with a nod when all had filled plates before them.  Boromir felt uncomfortable as he looked down at the food that lay before him, feeling for the first time in some months that he ought to rise for the Standing Silence, considering the solemnity of those gathered to share the meal.

Once all were eating, Elrond set down his fork, again surveying the party.  "It is time for those of us who remain from the Council to begin deciding on who shall make up the remainder of the party.  It is fitting that those who shall go should number nine--the Nine Walkers to counter the Nine Riders who serve Sauron; nine of hope to counter the nine whose chief weapon has ever been despair!  It would be wise for it to consist of individuals from all the races who make up the Free Peoples of Middle Earth.  Two of those races are now represented--Frodo Baggins and his gardener Samwise Gamgee, as the Ringbearer and his companion, shall represent the Hobbits of the Shire.  Aragorn son of Arathorn, the Heir of Isildur through Valandil, Arvedui, and Fíriel daughter of Ondoher, shall represent Men alongside Boromir son of Denethor, the High Warden of the Citadel of Minas Tirith in Gondor, and Heir to the Steward of that land.  Gandalf will also accompany Frodo as representative of the Wizards and the White Council.  We have not as yet chosen individuals to represent either the Elves or the Dwarves, and we have four places yet to fill."  He turned to Bilbo, who had begun to push himself to his feet.  "And, no, Bilbo, my beloved friend and counselor--it is not for you to go upon this quest.  You are no longer young in the reckoning of your people.  Nor would your going serve to keep your kinsman safe--indeed, I suspect it should only serve to increase his concern for your own safety.  I believe it is time to allow those who are younger to come to the fore, for it is their future that we all wish to safeguard."

The venerable Man cocked his head at the Master of the House.  "Yet you would allow Aragorn to go, although he is not the youngest among us."

"He is Chieftain of your people.  His time is now come--to fulfill his destiny and restore the fortunes of both realms, or to fall in the final battles.  Would you deny him?"

The Man gave a twisted smile.  "And would he listen to any of us at this point?  I strongly doubt it.  As you say--his time is now come at last, now that Isildur's Bane is indeed awakened and abroad within Middle Earth."

The dark-haired Elf who'd accompanied him into the room gave the Man a respectful nod.  "Indeed, it is as you have said, Lord Baerdion.  He is the one born of the full lineage of both of the sons of Elendil Elvellon.  This is indeed his quest as much as it is that of the Ringbearer."  He inclined his head with respectful grace toward the younger of the two Hobbits, whose cheeks flamed, although the rest of his face grew paler.

Another Elf, one Boromir remembered as having been introduced at the Council as having come from the Elven haven of Mithlond, looked between the Elf who'd spoken and Elrond, then gave Mithrandir a sideways glance, saying, "I would not say that Aragorn is a greybeard among Men, no matter when he was born.  Indeed, his lineage as the Dúnadan is apparent in the appearance of full manhood that he shows forth.  He is but of middle years in the time that might be expected of him, or so I would deem."

Frodo spoke up, appearing to surprise even himself.  "Nor am I precisely young.  I am fifty, after all, and also am in what we Hobbits consider our middle years."

Boromir was surprised.  He would never have suspected this was anything but a youngling of his kind.  "And your three companions are as old as you?" he asked.

Bilbo laughed.  "Ah, indeed not!  Sam and Merry aren't forty yet--they were each deemed of age only a few years past.  As for Pippin--well, he's still not of age at all, not for slightly more than five years.  He will not be twenty-eight until December, you see."

Elrond explained to the Gondorian, "You must remember, Lord Boromir, that the great Rings extend the lives and vigor of their bearers.  It is true that Gerontius Took lived to be older than is Bilbo now, but he was yet more obviously elderly than is this, his grandson, and at a younger age.  How it will be with Bilbo once the Ring is gone we cannot yet predict."

Boromir noted that Frodo's cheeks paled at that statement, although he fixed his eyes on the contents of his plate.

The russet-haired son of Glóin searched his father's face, then looked up to meet Elrond's gaze.  "You feel that those who accompany the Ringbearer should be younger, eh?  And if I were to offer myself?"

Elrond examined the Dwarf.  "You are a tried warrior of your people?"

Glóin indicated his agreement.  "While we were fighting the Battle of Five Armies, my son here was leading the defense of our folk in the Blue Mountains against an assault by orcs and Men from Angmar who had thought to steal from our stores of weapons.  And here I had thought that by insisting he remain at home I was insuring his safety!  I doubt there is a Dwarf who is better with an axe than my Gimli in all of the Blue Mountains, the Iron Hills, or Erebor."

Gimli set a hand to the throwing axe he wore at his belt.  "I have fought my share of orcs and evil Men, Lord Elrond."  He glanced sideways at the Elf Legolas.  "And particularly since I followed my father to the Lonely Mountain.  The orcs of Dol Guldur have tried their own assaults on Erebor.  We Dwarves fight to protect our own."

There was an unspoken challenge there to the golden haired Elf, whose own expression grew fixed.  "I have fought in defense of our lands and peoples since the days of darkness ere the Last Alliance, son of Glóin."  He rose.  "I am the best archer in all of our lands," he said to Elrond, his chin raised in defiance.  "And I will match my knifework against a Dwarf's axe any day."

"You offer yourself to the quest?"

"Yes."

The Elf with him gave an intake of breath.  "Your father----"

Legolas quelled him with a look.  "Is not this quest as necessary to protect our lands as any other?  Nor, I think, need I go further than I will."  He turned back to Elrond.  "Is that not true, Master Elrond?"

"Indeed, that is so.  It is perhaps a longer road than your companion here will take in returning to your father's halls, but it will protect the Ringbearer in the dangerous lands along the western slopes of the Misty Mountains."

"Then I would offer myself also," said the other Elf from Mirkwood.

"And then who will bear word back to my father as to why I am delayed, much less warning as to the apparent plans of the Enemy to assault the Men of Esgaroth and Dale and the Dwarves of Erebor and the Iron Hills as well as our forest?" Legolas said, shaking his head.  "Nay, I would have you return with the knowledge of what has been revealed here.  What other messenger can I send?  Imladris and Mithlond will be busy preparing for their own defense!"  He leaned closer to his companion.  "Remember--the Nazgûl have come here, here to the west of the Misty Mountains.  Sauron intends to destroy or enslave us all!  No, you must return to my father."

At last the other Elf bowed his head in acceptance, although he did not appear particularly sanguine about the prospect of returning home without his companion.

Gimli, meanwhile, was eyeing his sire.  "And don't go thinking to send one of our escort with me.  You are my father, and you must return to Dáin to advise him as to just what it is that Sauron wishes to recover from the Esteemed Burglar, and why it is important he not do so.  The orcs will be watching the passes going east--I won't have you going home without proper protection!"

"I will advise you I am not without skill in using my own axe----"

"And you just admitted that I am better than you, and I shall not be with you during your return."

The two Dwarves sought to stare one another down, the expressions on their faces equally stern and stubborn.  At last, however, Glóin muttered, "Trust you, my son, to use against me the very arguments I gave you when I refused to allow you to accompany us on our hopeless quest to regain our treasures from Smaug."

"You didn't think I would have forgotten them, did you?"

Slowly a small, proud smile showed on what could be discerned of the older Dwarf's face.  "No, my son, I did not.  Make us proud."

At last Gimli's own lips curved upwards.  "You will never have reason to be ashamed of me."  Each reached out his right arm to clasp the shoulder of his fellow, and they remained thus for some more moments before returning their attention to their host.

At last Boromir cleared his throat.  "So," he said, "now we are seven, and represent Hobbits, Men, Elves, and Dwarves--and Wizards.  What others might you think to send?"

Elrond gave a slight shake to his head.  "I know not, not as yet.  I suppose it will depend in part on what others might offer themselves."

Gandalf gave an elaborate shrug.  "You already have been approached by two more volunteers."

Elven lord met Wizard's gaze.  "I am not inclined to accept their offers.  The two remaining Hobbits are yet young in the reckoning of their people, and do not know what sacrifices they might be called upon to make should they go upon this quest.  The younger one particularly--Peregrin Took--he strikes me as being prone to being impetuous.  That is not a quality that is likely to help keep them unnoticed as the Nine Walkers seek to tread their road secretly through the wilderness, past the Enemy's people and allies.  Also, I have forebodings regarding the safety of the folk who live within the Hobbits' Shire.  The Black Riders have found it already, and are followed by other dangers.  I would not see it remain without warning.  Young Peregrin's father is master of the Shire's Moot and its Hobbitry at Arms, is he not?"

"Yes, he is," Frodo answered.  "But if you think my kinsman Paladin will call for a Shire Moot or for the bowmen of the Green Hills and White Downs to take up their weapons on the authority of the word of his son, I believe you are mistaken.  He is likely to discount the testimony even of Merry, in fact.  Uncle Paladin has never truly believed the stories Bilbo has told of matters outside the Shire.  In spite of his few trips to Bree, he appears to believe that nothing that occurs outside the borders of the Shire has any relevance to our lives.  I doubt he ever believed Smaug was real, or the three trolls who captured Bilbo and the Dwarves.  Pippin's eyes must have been as large as dinner plates when we came upon them in the wild!  And how we are to convince him I had excellent reason to leave the Shire when and how I did I have no idea.  At least Uncle Sara is more likely to listen, although I suspect he, too, will find the tale exceeds belief."

"Paladin Took has tolerated me, but has never truly been open to my advice," Mithrandir said, his eyes thoughtful as he looked on the Ringbearer.  He returned his attention to Elrond.  "He finds me a strange fellow, and has consistently refused to discuss any concerns I might have for those outside the Shire.  I must say that he is far more tolerant than was Ferumbras, who preceded him as Thain, but that is not saying much.  Young Pippin has more of Gerontius to him than does his father, I fear.  Indeed, Pippin, Merry, and Frodo are all more like Gerontius than is Paladin Took.  I fear it will take some doing to convince him that anything from outside the Shire could pose a danger, although once he is convinced he will then seek to move mountains to safeguard his own."

The Wizard looked briefly to Bilbo, who was indicating his own agreement.  At last he shook his own head.  "Face it, my friend," he said, "those of the folk of the Shire who are most like Gerontius Took are here, present in your domain.  As for those who remain within the Shire, they must, as always, be faced with danger in order to be convinced it exists.  And it is in my heart that in this matter it would do well to trust more to friendship rather than to might or wisdom.  Even should you think to send Glorfindel in the fullness of his power and glory, that may well prove only to draw the Eye toward us the quicker.  No, I tell you, Elrond, that rather than seeking to offer the Ringbearer more protection we may well do better to offer him more reason to wish to prevail over the evil will of the Ring.  For It will grow in awareness, power, and malevolence once we leave the borders of your lands, and the weight of Its evil will be merely the worse the closer to the Mountain It comes."

Elrond, however, did not appear to be convinced.

Oh, I like this, Maeglin!  Legolas laughing like this is wonderful, as is the reference to earlier lives in Doriath and Nargothrond!  Heh!  Indeed, "Rustic folk!"

Maeglin--am so glad you enjoyed how I tied Elrond's choices to his memories of life with Maglor.  I cannot imagine him forgetting that time, and he must have wanted at least a hint of what he knew then in his own home! 

And am so glad you appreciate Thorin's last thoughts on Bilbo, Raksha.  Thank you!

Hey Larner.  Surprisingly, I haven't seen any lengthy Elrond/Maglor stories on HASA!  Most tend to be very short bits about Elrond resenting his biological parents.  It would be very neat to see a fully developed story of the twins life with the sons of Feanor.  They joined them in YoS 538, and could potentially have stayed with them until the 'end' (for M & M) in YoS 590.  That's a long time!  What happened to Elrond and Elros during those years?  Enquiring minds want to know   Would be very interested in seeing your 'history' of that time if you have one in mind.

Maeglin

Happy Belated Birthday, Maeglin/Re: July 2009 Birthday Cards

I'd like to see something (non-slash) about Erestor.  For example - how did he come to be a member of the White Council?  I assume of course that he was on it - the member list of the WC (3rd Age) I've seen most often is: Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Cirdan, Elrond, Celeborn, Glorfindel, and Erestor.  That's quite a group!  

Also, something I would really like to see (but this is really too much for a 'birthday card' - I'd try to make it a Challenge but those don't seem to be active anymore) is a 'Feanor Survives' (at least for a little while) story, again non-slash.  We've seen a number of 'Boromir Survives' tales - they make for interesting AUs.  But, shock of shocks, there doesn't seem to be a single story on HASA that substantially alters Feanor's end!

I've spent over a week working on an Erestory - but the thing kept growing, and is now a convoluted tale of over six pages.  So I thought I'd try the Feanor!Lives! idea and came up with something shorter, a mere 1000 words. 

I've never written Feanor before; so it was an interesting challenge.  But I had a vision of Modern Era Feanor with a very flashy car, watching a big event on July 16, 1969....

RIDING THE FIRE 

The engineer who used the name Curt Feuerstein leaned back against the scarlet red metal shoulder of his parked Cadillac and devoted himself to the rare pleasure of beholding his work's fruition.  The project was actually not his alone; he reminded himself in a tongue older than Man.  To make the truly great works, to shake the earth and the heavens, he needed to subordinate his pride and be a good team member, as the Americans said. Still, as ancient of days as he was, Fëanor felt his heart leap anew, in anticipation. 

He donned his sunglasses, to hide the brightness of his eyes from the curiosity of nearby reporters; for he feared the sun no more than he feared the tides or the mountains.  It had been months since he had completed his part of the work.  Now the five mighty F-1 engines were ready, and in moments, would ignite and lift the Saturn V and its cargo of Men off the surface of the Earth.   

Ten, Nine,…the countdown boomed over the loudspeaker.  The Edain who surrounded him tensed, screamed with excitement, or prayed.  There it was! A brilliant light flared on the launching pad.  The engines roared to life with over seven million pounds of thrust.  The Elf in Man's clothes smiled with that happiness that naught could diminish, the joy of properly finished work warming the cool angles of his face.  He lifted his head all the way back to watch, as Apollo 11 rose into the air, propelled by those engines he had helped devise, on its way to the Moon.  Spirit rising, Fëanor followed the trail of flame that blazed upwards, until he could see it no more.  The huge engines would separate and fall from the rocket, their existence brief but infinitely valuable. 

Crueler memories of other flames flickered across his mind:  The fiery emissions of the Balrog that had killed Caranthir.   He had meant to attack the retreating forces of Morgoth, but he had been weakened by wounds taken in the Battle-under-Stars.  Caranthir had proudly ridden ahead in his father's place.  Fëanor and his other sons had arrived at the bounds of the Dol Doldeleth too late.  Caranthir was dying, and Gothmog had slunk back to Angband, leaving a trail of sulfurous smoke.  And years later, Maedhros had thrown himself into a volcanic fissure, bearing the Jewel that had burned hope and hand.    

At least he still had two sons left this side of the Sundering Sea, Fëanor reflected.   Maglor was even now recording another record with his ridiculous "Fab Five" fellow musicians.  If one could call them musicians!  It had been five years since his son had spoken to him, so angered had Maglor been when Fëanor had called him a posturing fool after watching the Ed Sullivan television programme.  Secretly, Fëanor was proud of his secondborn.  Maglor had already eclipsed his father in wealth and fame in this populist era.  And Curufin was working on the N-1 in Russia, sent by Feanor's design.  One day they would reunite and their work would be used in a great purpose. 

Let Von Braun have the glory and recompense that was a chief artisan's due!  Lowly engineer Feuerstein, who was not really lowly, had learned that such things merely distracted from work.  A bright future beckoned in this Age of Space, thanks to the profusion of new technologies, materials, and industrious Edain.   

Removing his hat, the Elf opened the door of his one indulgence, the custom-made Cadillac Eldorado convertible, and slid into the roomy driver's seat.  He so enjoyed the feel of the wind in his crew-cut hair and over his surgically rounded ears.  He pulled down the top, and turned the keys in the ignition.  Vroom-vroom, sang the eight-cylinder engine! Zero to 60 in nine seconds!  Not as much thrust as the magnificent F-1 engines, but still a sweet ride.  His smile softened as he remembered the sweetest ride of all.  Nerdanel.  No one could compare to her, even after so many thousands of years.   Did she await Fëanor's return, across the Sea in the far West?  

He would return, he thought, not for the first time.  And perhaps that day was not so far off.   He stopped the car; pulling over to look to the skies.  The rocket was speeding toward the Moon now, well beyond even his sight.  The Apollo mission was but one step in his plan.  He peered at the clouds, imagining the place where the Evening Star would shine later.  The Valar had cleverly sent the sky-ship Vingilot into the solar system so that it would shadow the orbit of Venus and, with its artificially magnified Silmaril, combine with the actual star's glow to the eyes of the dwellers on Earth.  One day, I will ride the rocket myself, he swore, far beyond the Moon, to the ship of Eärendil, and take back the Jewel he stole, the Jewel I made.  

He was unsure what he would do with the Silmaril after regaining it.  After all the carnage caused by his Oath, the loss of five of his sons and the long separation from Nerdanel, there were times when he thought he just might take the Jewel back to Valinor and present it to Yavanna, just to see the shock on the Valar's faces.  Perhaps he would even spare Eärendil's life if he could.  But he dearly wanted to hold the Jewel once more.  And all that Curt Feuerstein, space program engineer, learned from the flight of Apollo 11 and other rockets, would lead him into the very heavens and the Silmaril. 

Ride well the fire, Fëanor called out in thought to the three men sitting in the small capsule so high above Middle-earth.  And let it bring thee safely down, ye who risk so much to know the lights of the heavens The once, present, and forever Spirit of Fire raised his hat in salute to the mortals, then gunned the engine again and drove away. 

Notes:
Fëanor's name translates from Elvish as Spirit of Fire
The German name Feuerstein means Fire-stone; or something very close to it.
Curt Feuerstein/Feanor's car is a 1967 Cadillac Eldorado convertible, and can be seen here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Eldorado .  It is custom-made because I imagine Feany had trouble fitting those long legs of his in most cars; being probably close to 7 ft. tall like most Elves (they don't call the princes of the Noldor 'High-Elves' just because they look down on everybody else).   I would imagine that it has black leather seats, too...
My data on the Saturn V rocket, its F-1 engines, the N-1 rockets being worked on in the Soviet Union around the same time, and the Apollo 11 mission, comes from wikipedia.org.   Go here to see the 'mighty engines' that Feanor helped design, pictured with Werner Von Braun:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S-IC_engines_and_Von_Braun.jpg
Pandemonium_213 was my special technical advisor; please don't blame her for any errors, they're all mine. 
It is told in The Silmarillion that Feanor was killed after he impetuously hared off ahead of his own forces after the retreating forces of Morgoth - he was too far ahead of his own troops and was surrounded and attacked by balrogs and others.  In this AU, as Feanor remembers, Caranthir chased on ahead, instead of Feanor, whose wounds, though not mortal, prevented him from being balrog-bait.
The "Fab Five" to which Feanor alludes are, in RL, "The Fab Four", the Beatles.  In the summer of 1969, when this ficlet occurs, they were recording Abbey Road in England.  And yes, I'm implying that Maglor was the fifth Beatle. 

Re: Happy Belated Birthday, Maeglin/July 2009 Birthday Cards

Oh Raksha, this is a master piece. So great!

The German name Feuerstein means Fire-stone; or something very close to it.

Exactly right! I was laughing helplessly at the name. That's something Feanor would choose.

Thanx, Vilwarin; I guessed at the meanings of the German names and checked with Wikipedia.  I'm pleased that you liked the story - I just wish I'd get similar inspiration with all the birthday prompts!

RAKSHA

Ooh!  A fascinating AU here, Raksha!  Loved that reference to the Beatles, and the thought of Maglor as one of them is fascinating!  Yes!  But to have Feanor as one of the designers of the rocket engines...so appropriate!

Raksha, that was wonderful!  Such nice touches - I especially like you worked in Vingilot with Venus - I often see "Earendil", indeed the brightest star in the sky.  And what would Feanor be doing in the late 1960s - naturally working on the space program!  And Curufin too... heheh - the Oath lives! If Venus shines less brightly one day, I'll know they fulfilled that Quest.  They have all the time in the world... And your last paragraph was simply beautiful.

Thanks,

Maeglin 

Larner - Thanx for the kind words.  I did rather enjoy writing the piece, so I'm glad you liked it.  And I knew that Maglor would be one of the Beatles. 

Maeglin - thanx for the wonderful birthday inspiration, and I'm so pleased you enjoyed how it turned out.  Oh, I think Feanor would have been associated with many interesting devices and engines throughout the ages; he probably helped out at the pyramids and helped Edison with the telephone, not to mention the invention of plastics, and satellites, and steam engines, etc.  Feanor would have had to have learned how to stifle his arrogance a bit in dealing with others, so he could find patrons and employers, but I think he's got a few secret workshops/factories all over the globe, and is also content, with some inventions, to work with mortals behind the scenes.  (he might well have had some close calls in the Middle and Dark Ages in terms of witchcraft accusations) 

I can't claim credit for associating Vingilot with Venus, though; didn't Tolkien state the connection somewhere?

Hope you had a Birthday filled with Feanorian excess!

RAKSHA

Umm, I'm not sure Tolkien was thinking of it explicitly at the time, but Venus is the brightest `star' in the sky (when it's in the right part of its orbit with respect to Earth) and is most prominent after dusk and before dawn.  Much like Vingilot. Someone immediately noticed this, but I don't know who it was or whether it was intentional on the part of JRRT.

Heheh, as a scientist, I can assure you that Feanor wouldn't have to turn his arrogance TOO far down!   The Tall-Lord-of-the-Amanyar appearance and the `not aging' bit would be bigger problems, crewcut and ear surgery or no

Very belated card for Marta

I apologize for being so late. I hope you had a very nice birthday :-)

Starlight

Inheritance

"Your husband is croaking doom again, Aldis," the women would say when they met for the weekly wash.

"How can you bear it?"

"He does not love Dale..."

But Aldis would only smile and wipe the sweat off her brow, for she knew something the others did not.

"Dale is in our blood," she would tell her sons every night, "and Papa defends her with all his might, for it is our right and responsibility."

And, during the long nights while he kept his post, she would pray, "Keep my Bard, my crownless King, safe. Help him do his duty."

Belated drabble for Vilwarin

I am sorry it is coming so late! I hope you had a nice birthday, and also hope that the rest of your stay in England will be pleasant :-)

Starlight

Sort of Aragorn...

One grows into the role

"What think you of the new man?" asks the Steward.

And Denethor looks up from the board, briefly, keenly, into his father's eyes before replying, "Which man?" and capturing another pawn.

"The one from Thengel."

"Thorongil, you mean?"

"You know perfectly well that's whom I mean."

A lazy survey of the board, a cornered rook. "He seems a misfit."

The Steward raises both brows, upsets some pieces by a careless sweep of the hand.

"His excellent rohirric skills are belied by his gondorian looks, yet his utter ignorance of gondorian custom--No, rather, his archaic manners are... laughable."

"Hmm. Fitting portrait."

Re: Very belated card for Marta

Oh, this was lovely Starlight - just the kind of Ereborgapfiller I love most. I'm glad to know Bard had a wife and family, and that she understood him and shared in his faith of what would come.

Re: Belated drabble for Vilwarin

Thank you very much.

"[...] yet his utter ignorance of gondorian custom--No, rather, his archaic manners are... laughable."

Great line. lol.

Extremely belated, for Maeglin

Maeglin, I wrote this ages ago but had not been brave enough to post it... It was such an interesting request, though! And I hope that you enjoy this, late though it is...

Of friends and Sweethearts

Celebrían closed the accounts, looked up. Erestor saw her thought in her eyes-- shrewd like her mother she was, but she had not learned to mask it.

"You have been a good steward."

Erestor bowed.

"I know Elrond is grateful."

"So do I," he said, regretting the subtle flinch he provoked.

"Because you have known him longer than I?"

"That will soon change."

An excited, passionate gleam, shone briefly in her eyes before melting into the proper expression. "Do you regret it?"

He had. Until that look. "It seems my friend will be in good hands," he said, and smiled.

Re: Extremely belated, for Maeglin

Thanks, Starlight.  What a pretty little exchange between these two!  It leaves me wanting to know more; why would Erestor "regret" the upcoming marriage?  There is of course the one obvious reason (assuming Erestor is unwed, prefers ellyth in general, and Celebrian in particular), but also several others, depending on 'which' Erestor you write.  But in any case, bravo!

Maeglin

Thanks, Maeglin. I was thinking that Erestor would just be somewhat jealous and troubled by the impending change of his friendship with Elrond now that Celebrian would be added to the mix. It was a tough, fun request to write--I had never given Erestor a second thought! But, he is growing on me for sure.

I'm glad you enjoyed it ;-p

Ah, that was the second possible reason for "regret" that came to mind.  The reason Erestor caught my interest is that even though he only gets a couple lines in LOTR, he delivers one of the most important.  "That is the path of despair.  Of folly I would say, if the long wisdom of Elrond did not forbid me." To which Gandalf replies "let folly be our cloak, a veil before the eyes of the Enemy!" 

That exchange is at the center of Tolkien's philosophy.  Erestor sensibly says "This is crazy." (which indeed it is), and Gandalf replies (essentially, as expanded on in Tolkien's Letters), "Yes, but the Valar are on our side in this one."  As much as Tolkien is my favorite author, I choke on Gandalf's viewpoint, here and elsewhere, as do many others.  And so, Erestor is my muse. 

Thanks again,

Maeglin 

I love all three of the last ficlets you've posted, Starlight, and particularly the evaluation by Denethor of Thorongil's archaic reactions to protocol!  How very likely!

Definitely thought provoking, and particularly the last one!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum