Forum: HASA Birthday Cards Forum

Discussing: November 2009 Birthday Cards

November 2009 Birthday Cards

Birthday folk: Is your birthday in November and you would be delighted by a little story gift from your fellow HASA members? Then state your request here in this thread.

Create a birthday workshop story to collect your birthday cards in one place, and enter it into the November Challenge.

Authors: Let yourselves get inspired by the suggestions - a chance to be creative and to make a fellow HASA member happy at the same time! And don't forget to add your birthday cards to the Birthday Cards Workshop the recipient of your birthday card has - hopefully - created.

If you need help with anything, or have comments or suggestions, please state them here in this thread, or write me a private e-mail.
==============================================

November, 19th - illereyn: [...]I'd like to know more about the Avari.
But, I'm more interested in what the Avari think, particularly of Melkor and Sauron, and the Wars against them. Why didn't they take part? Or did they, and the other Races just didn't realise/thought their contribution neglibible? What do the Avari think of your favourite character/race, or any race for that matter?
Hope that prompts your Muse. If not, I'd really really appreciate anything with my favourite character Celeborn.

November, 30th - Ranger1: As chief cheer leader and grand imperial of the Pervy Avari Fanciers I am amazed by the way they are ignored. What does your favorite character think of them? Where did they meet one? Is the one they got to know really all that bad? Or maybe you are acquanted with an Avar and can say something about him.

Re: November 2009 Birthday Cards

For a November 30 birthday.

As chief cheer leader and grand imperial of the Pervy Avari Fanciers I am amazed by the way they are ignored. What does your favorite character think of them? Where did they meet one? Is the one they got to know really all that bad? Or maybe you are acquanted with an Avar and can say something about him. Any length.

Ranger1

For a birthday on 19th November:
I'd like to have an Avari theme this month.  So, similar to the wish above, I'd like to know more about the Avari. 
But, I'm more interested in what the Avari think, particularly of Melkor and Sauron, and the Wars against them.  Why didn't they take part?  Or did they, and the other Races just didn't realise/thought their contribution neglibible?  What do the Avari think of your favourite character/race, or any race for that matter?
Hope that prompts your Muse.  If not, I'd really really appreciate anything with my favourite character Celeborn.
Thank you so much!
Being snowed under by exam work,
illereyn

"Chance, as people call it" Smile - I'm currently working on something featuring Celeborn. If you don't mind Galadriel along, I hope I'll be able to finish it by the end of November.

Grin That's wonderful!  And Galadriel is most certainly welcome to the party!
*wriggles in excited anticipation*
~illereyn

Hope you're gonna like it - it's a thematic sequel to Family Traits, which, as I've just realized, you did appreciate. -I never got round to responding to your comment at that time, so I take this as a chance to say "thank you" at the long last Smile

Well... a bit belated and uncouth, as my Muse, it seems, has left me for somewhere warm and sunny Cry I'd be grateful for any beta-commenting (and be really surprised if there was nothing to correct this time)

Glowing Embers

Oh!  This is such a great end of the month!  It totally made my day!

This is an absolutely beautiful story.  I love the way you combined and juxtaposed the political and the personal - how Celeborn's concern is both the muddled ethics of Galadriel's actions, and also the (perceived) breakdown in their relationship when she witheld such vital information.  I love how you showed that their relationship is strong - they know how to argue and make up to one another. 

As for beta comments - nothing much, just some awkward phrasing in Celeborn's speech, such as the repetition of 'that' in a sentence, but it can be taken as a sign of how tired he is.  Also the 'white and gold' of her brushing her hair imagery was a little confusing at first.

Thanks again - both for your compliment (*blushes and bows*) and for the valuable comments. I suppose I'll do some correcting of that "that" Smile but the "white and gold" as being confusing caught me totally by surprise. Ambiguous, yes, and as such intended - after all, we do not know what - and if - Galadriel wears in bed but I'd certainly expect it to be white (both cases) Wink .

Anyway: it seems that the topic of "things Celeborn wasn't told" hasn't been exploited yet - I just hope I'll manage to write it before Christmas. Shall I let you know?

Oh, yes, please let me know!

Thinking back, my original reaction to the 'white and gold' was not so much confusion as surprise - I commented on it because I had to read that sentence twice (I also had to read Celeborn's '...that sometimes burdens you cannot carry are the heaviest', so I don't know the significance of this).  The ambiguity does force a reader to pause for a moment to decide which interpretation they're taking, but here it was deliberate on the author's part, so that's OK.

Ah. Maybe I should change it to "burdens ONE cannot carry are the heaviest" - I hope this makes the little trick?

Yes, that sounds better.

My muses go to Tahiti regularly!

Anyway, Ygrain, your Glowing Embers ficlet is a very good exploration of the marriage of Galadriel and Celeborn in the late Third Age.  I wish I knew why Tolkien didn't send Celeborn with her into the West at the end of the Third Age; they seem such an excellently matched couple.  You explore Galadriel's capacity for ruthlessness quite well; and handle the tension and love of this great Elven Power Couple realistically and magically.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to HASA Birthday Cards Forum