Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Quickies 2003

Quickies 2003

OK, it is time to figure out what what our vignettes are going to be in the coming year. I've kept two holdovers from 2002, and have a few suggestions. Please add more ideas. I would like to have 25 total to pick from in the coming year, with a good selection of eras, scenarios, characters and tone.

• First meetings with Gandalf - any era, any character
  • Final partings implied or mentioned, but not described by JRRT
  • Finwë first sees the light of the Two Trees
  • First ever meeting of elf and dwarf
  • Thranduil watches the assault of the Fëanorians on Menegroth
  • A king accepts a ring from a mysterious stranger
  • Cirdan receives Narya from Gil-galad
  • A shipwright of Númenor watches Alcarondas set sail to the West
  • A woman of Esgaroth sells wine to the Wood Elves
  • How did Gollum get out of Moria if the bridge was broken?
  • Háma frees Éomer from jail on Théoden's command
  • Faramir being told of the manner of Denethor's death
  • Legolas figuring out where he wishese to live in South Ithilien
  • A girl of Minas Tirith learns something from Queen Arwen
  • Pippin asks Diamond to marry him

So, there are a few ideas. Let me know which ones appeal, which ones do not, and what else you think is better or would like in addition to these.

Ang

Re: Quickies 2003

As a complement to "Legolas walks around Aglarond" how about "Gimli sees Fangorn Forest"?

The minstrel at the Field of Cormallen gets a voice and meets someone who'd like to thank him for his song.

The exploits of Master Spy Merry: How did he get a look at Bilbo's red book, and what exactly did he read?

Related: forming the conspiracy to watch Frodo.

The Balrog's waking and confrontation with the Fellowship, from its POV.

I'll add others for consideration if I think of any.

Thanks Ang!

Pippin asks Diamond to marry him

Incurable romantic that I am, this one is quite appealing. I would love to see what people did with this.

Oh, dear. I am sorry, Dwim. I should have read your post before putting a challenge in the hutch...

I will delete it and post it here to see if anyone is interested.

Ariel

Ok Ang, here's a random bunch, tilted toward my tastes.

Aragorn's reaction to Elrond's revelations about Aragorn's ancestry and possible destiny.

Gimli receiving the word that he is to be a member of the fellowship.

Glorfindel in Valinor after release from the Halls of Mandos.

A lesson for Elflings in Valinor about Middle-earth.

Elendil reflects on the sinking of Numenor.

An encounter between Ted Sandyman and Sam after the Scouring of the Shire.

Any humorous moment between the three hunters, possibly with any two ganging up on the third.

Earendil's reflections on his descendents, one or more.

I think I'd better stop now, as I could type new ones in until forcibly stopped.

Lyllyn

Hoo boy! I should have known I would unleash a monster!

Hmm, maybe we should have Quickies 2003 Qtr 1, Qtr 2, Qtr 3, Qtr 4. I think that may be the only way to get all of the ideas in. Yikes, you folks are so much more inventive than me.

Ang

Quarters might be a good idea, although one never knows with vignette ideas who will get bitten when. So I guess that means I'm not entirely sure whether I'm in favor of them or not. Ack! Dilemma!

Ooh, hey, another nuzgul: Why wasn't Radagast at Rhosgobel when the Rangers went to check in with him when searching the area for signs of Black Riders (FOTR, I believe)? Maybe we could have a quick vignette of someone going to his house? It'd be fun to peep through a wizard's window, even if he's not home.

I'll stop now, really.

I HATE you, Dwim.....

Grumble, grumble, grumble, getting out the tire iron to go beat off this Nuzgul, grumble, gumble, grumble....

Ang

Ang groused:

I HATE you, Dwim.....

Just remember, you did it to yourself.

Fear not, however: put it in the vignettes section, and I can guarantee I'll end up writing that one. Never let it be said that I afflict only others. :-)

Perhaps have a bunch for quarter 1, and then any that have had several entries could be removed and replaced for quarter 2, while retaining those that haven't yet inspired?

And after all, people can still write a story or vignette that would answer a Challenge even if the Challenge is closed... it's just not as much fun.

Cel

I said:

I'll stop now, really.

Ok, so I lied.

*Racing the Black Riders: Asfaloth's POV.

*What did Gandalf "see" lying on the mountaintop after casting down the Balrog?

*Háma's last stand (I swear, I'm not doing this to make Roc cry!).

*Aerial reconnaissance: become one of the crébain. Did you notice that pony hanging out in Hollin? Or anything else unusual?

*What did Éothain say to Éomer after the three hunters rode off to Fangorn?

*The fish who swallowed the Ring (I'm not obsessed with this, really).

*"Teaching his grandmother to suck... "Eggses!""--write this sorry, possibly funny, episode in Sméagol's life.

*A snapshot in the life of your average Haradrim mumâk trainer--how does he (she?) feel about her oliphants?

No promises this time about not thinking up any others.

Groan [Ang crawls under couch with cat, hiding from the Nuzgul]

I challenge someone to provide me with a Faramir-specific challenge that I haven't written yet!

Oh, Una, beware saying such things around me....

*Swimming lessons: Boromir and Faramir as kids. You just know that this skill will come in handy twenty, thirty years later at Osgiliath. And you know that Boromir would do his utmost to half-drown Faramir once little bro got the hang of things. It's a sibling thing.

*Faramir learning the constellations--has some fun questions about Eärendil.

*Faramir and Arwen's first meeting

*Harp lessons. Would the rest of the family have to cower in the other room with their fingers in their ears?

[some minutes later] Can't leave well enough alone, can I?

*For the author of "A Game Of Chess", I want to see you write an actual chess game between Faramir and any character of your choice.

So there! Write!

These are all quite delicious, Dwim, and you have made me a very happy person. Thank you! Oh, Christmas and the New Year are going to be wonderful! Work free and fic filled!

Here's another for you, Una -

Faramir's first day in charge of his company in Ithilien.

Cel

And another few:

*How do Mablung, Damrod, and Anborn view their new commander? (Ok, this is more about them than Faramir, I suppose, but it'd be an interesting reversal. Pick any one or any combination of the three, and they can have any history you like--did they precede Faramir in that company? Or did they join later?)

*The first time Faramir ever had that dream of drowning Númenor

*After Sam and Frodo fell asleep, and before Gollum appeared at HA, what did Faramir do/think?

Feeling guilty that this is taking over the Quickies 2003 forum, so I've set up a new thread in my own forum. You're stars, chaps.

Thank you, dear! :-)

OK, folks, *aside from Faramir quickies*...

[Ang pauses, realizes how that sounds, smacks head on desk a few times]

Okaaaay, moving right along - what Quickies 2003 vignette scenarios that do *not* involve Faramir would people like to see?

Ang

Glad to see the first meetings with Gandalf and the final partings one still there.

I would like to see accounts of the Ring War from across the whole of Middle-earth. Denethor says that all the East is moving (OK, not the most reliable witness at this point), and Gandalf says at the Council of Elrond that the black tongue will be heard in every part of the West.

*A child evacuated from Minas Tirith.

*The hopes and policies of a captain from Khand.

*Farmer Maggot's account of the strange goings-on at Crickhollow and that queer fellow Sharkey.

*The home front at Rivendell, or the battle for Lorien.

*The last stands of Dain and Brand.

*What the Woses were doing to fight the gorgun before the Horse-men came to ask for their help.

*Why the Dunlendings were right to fight.

Or an appendices challenge. Take a name from the Annals of the Kings and Rulers, and write them a first-person POV story.

Or an appendices challenge. Take a name from the Tale of Years, and write them a first-person POV story.

Can I lay *a* claim to that one early? But it won't be a quicky, it'll be a monster, and it will have to wait until I finish LDID at least, to even go into the pipeline of WiPs.

By all means. Would love to know who you have in mind.

Aravorn.

I should probably add a nuzgul to make this a worthwhile on topic post:

Ioreth's kinswoman who came to the coronation: what is her impression of all the goings on?

Here are some more Ring War ones:

*Who was watching the road to the Havens and what happened to them.

*An orc's perspective on the changing political climate.

*Events in Middle-earth from the perspective of any being in Valinor.

*What the fox did.

Do we know anything about Aravorn? How interesting...

* A market day in Moria (at it's height)

* A market day anywhere, for that matter.

* A market day in Numenor!!

* A shipbuilder teaching an appentice in Dol Amroth

* The discovery of mithril and laying out the plans for Moria

*A member of the Argonath construction crew looks on their work...

*A day at the office amongst the Barad-dur Interrogation Division

The minstrel at the Field of Cormallen gets a voice and meets someone who'd like to thank him for his song.

Oo, dibs! I've had this one stewing in my head for a while already...

Some others:

- the slaying of Moria's watcher
- Butterbur meets Elessar (and Arwen, too, if you like)
- Celeborn and Celebrimbor have a conversation
- Beorn startles some Rohirrim

Yeppers. I have "Butterbur meets Elessar and Arwen" in my drawer for a month or two now. Must translate it asap.

About the first quickies way up there, I want to try my hand at final partings, king receiving a ring of power, woman sells wine to wood elves, Legolas figuring Ithilien and girl learns from Queen Arwen. So do me a favor and keep these in.

More quickies? How about some pre-LotR for the "The Hobbit" lover in you?

# neighbour watching 13 dwarves and a wizard invade Bilbo's house;
# Bert, William and Tom. Anything with them;
# a scene from one of those two oh so happy weeks at Elrond's;
# Gollum's agony as he realises he lost Bilbo and Preciousss for good;
# one day of invisible Bilbo at Mirkwood sneaking around;
# a dwarf's thoughts in Thranduil's prison or inside a barril. Pick your fav dwarf;

Yes, I fancy this much overlooked period in ME's history and, yes, I think we need more dwarf stories. Hehe.

# neighbour watching 13 dwarves and a wizard invade Bilbo's house

What's this nibbling on my ankle... hey!

Oh my. I think the Gaffer would love to say his piece on this one.

Might I suggest two more?

- The fathers of Men awaken with the first rising of the Sun. OR
- Morgoth's servants quail at the harsh light of the Sun

- An Elf's thoughts when the star of Earendil first appears in the night sky. (a lot of firsts, hmm)

Re: I think having the challenge in quarters is a good idea, but we should keep the old ones open till the end of the year, in case anyone gets inspiration to write some of them.

-Klose

Well, I think I would like to do quarter by quarter (with plenty of hold overs) as that will allow people to write stuff up and then allow Dwim to send the Challenges live after each quarter closes. This will make sure that the adoring public sees a fresh set of them every quarter.

I'm thinking that there will be a set that is open year-round (i.e., repeated for each quarter), and then a new set unique to each quarter. But, hey, my attitude is if it is on the 2003 list, and you *really* want to write it, write it, even if it isn't explicitly on the list for that quarter.

I do want to keep vignettes limited to what is on the list, however, so it isn't a total free for all. I think one of the really cool things was seeing how different writers interpreted the same scene. The Pelennor pyre set is magnificent, for example.

Hey, Una, why not end the Denenthor Poetry contest this year end, so we can release it, and start up a new one for 2003? Or, is there another character who has a poetic turn and should be featured? Maybe a Poet of the Quarter? Hmm, this could get quite fun!

Toodles - Ang

Hey, Una, why not end the Denenthor Poetry contest this year end, so we can release it, and start up a new one for 2003? Or, is there another character who has a poetic turn and should be featured? Maybe a Poet of the Quarter? Hmm, this could get quite fun!

Good call! Or even just Poetry Challenge of the Quarter.

Hm. Some nominations:

* Poor, besotted Eomer wrestles with love poetry for Lothiriel.
* Gollum composes disturbing ditties in the dark.
* Eol vents his feelings. (Middle-earth's first and last writer of free verse?)
* Retell the entire Silmarillion in limericks. (Group challenge? I'll take this chapter, you take that?)
* A Fourth Age hobbit scholar is commissioned to set the Scouring of the Shire to verse.

- Stulti the Certified Poetry Nut

* Retell the entire Silmarillion in limericks. (Group challenge? I'll take this chapter, you take that?)

Heh. Hehehe... Yes, I like that enormously.

OK, I'll bring the Denethor challenge to an end; I've extended it enough times after all. Last chance for people to show what the Steward can do. Never did get round to writing anything myself.

OK, if this is not a Challenge, I do not know what is!

Una, Princess of Poetry, please do satisfy the poetic cravings of the membership! Give us Poetry Challenges worthy of the name!

Toodles - Ang

Una, Princess of Poetry, please do satisfy the poetic cravings of the membership! Give us Poetry Challenges worthy of the name!

It only works when I have my Partner in Poetry Crime nearby.

Oh, Andria...

"Mrs Peel - we're needed!"

*scratching head*

OK, where are the older but still open challenges these days?

Oops - forgot that link.

There is now a text link under the "5 most recent" list in the right-hand column. Also, the navigation menu choice "Open Challenges" will take you to the list of all open challenges.

Ang

It only works when I have my Partner in Poetry Crime nearby.

Oh, Andria...

"Mrs Peel - we're needed!"

Oo I think we can probably cook something up.

Andria
Looking for help to get out of this rather restricting catsuit

Personally, I'd be interested in some members' takes on Gollum poetry. *grins evilly* I'm just sick enough to take up on a challenge like that.

"Precioussssssssssss!"

*slinks back into dark, still laughing*

Una? The customers are waiting....

Ang

Poet of the quarter... hmm... sounds like much fun indeed! Whoever suggested Gollum for this sounds exactly like the sick-minded sort of person we love over here.

Personally, for poetry, I'd go with Goldberry. You know she has some hidden away--she has to, for the sake of her sanity, around Bombadil.

Quarters: opening challenges by quarters and then keeping them for the rest of the year is one way of dealing with the possiblity of someone coming late to a challenge. But it also means the winter quarter vignettes will have a much shorter shelf life than will those from the spring quarter. Would there be an automatic hold-over for them into the next year's opening quarter? Or should we attempt strategic organization, putting the 'easier' ones near the end?

I think quarter open/close in the case of these rolling challenges. Hold-overs can go into the next quarter's offerings. The point is to have regular releases for the adoring public. The word "challenge" is coming up more and more often in the text searches, so people are obviously looking for this kind of story.

Ang

PS - Just posted one last entry to the Bilbo Birthday challenge.

Whoever suggested Gollum for this sounds exactly like the sick-minded sort of person we love over here.

Why, thank you! I feel so at home.

- Stultidementia

Hey, and another poet guaranteed to make us all question our sanity:

The Love Poems of Gríma Gálmód's son. Oh come on, this could be untold hours of amusement here. It could also be highly scary.

Dwim, honey, I think you need to get out more.

How about a Poetry slam? Gríma, Gollum, and Denethor, squaring off.

Or [Irate fanficcers grab Ang and stuff into nearest drawer before more ideas emerge].

Nothing to see here, just move along, that's right, move along.....

HAVE MERCY ON US!!!!

Hi,

Too late to suggest a couple of Quickies?

Any character tells a bed-time story to any child.

Theoden's thoughts on the death of his wife in childbirth.

Niliwen begged:

HAVE MERCY ON US!!!!

"Show no mercy, for you shall receive none!"--Movie!Aragorn, Helm's Deep

Dwim wrote:

Niliwen begged:

HAVE MERCY ON US!!!!

"Show no mercy, for you shall receive none!"--Movie!Aragorn, Helm's Deep

And I shall certainly bear that in mind next time a nuzgul branded with the mark of Dwim comes rolling into my field of view.

Just off to relish that line for a second time.

Just as a suggestion:

Keep some of these as challenges. Put the rest in the hutch. If enough people are interested, they'll soon be picked up anyway. If not, well, I'm planning a "plotbunny of the week" scheme for next year anyway, so they'll at least get some publicity.

Plus I can offer them comfortable accommodation, as well as food, water, and regular mucking out.

Meg (Nuzgûl hutch keeper)
--

I'll be rolling out a few each quarter, and the rest can live in the hutch. I will try to put together my pick list in the next couple days (I want to launch the new Quickies Jan 1), and then we'll talk about the rest.

Also, "plotbunny of the week"? Do hear a call for a little programming there? :-) Let's talk about that one, too. You, Dwim, Adreinne & me need to figure out some Qtr 1 upgrade plans to the Hutch/Challenge stuff.

Ang

Also, "plotbunny of the week"? Do hear a call for a little programming there? :-)

Actually, no, you don't. Sorry, I'm a helldesk type, and that means that I prefer low-tech, simple systems which have the minimum number of possible things that can go wrong with them. It's not that I'm a luddite, it's just that working helldesk has made me very aware of the myriad possible number of ways that a system can go wrong, and a long-term strong belief in the accuracy of Murphy's Law tends to mean that I give old Murphy as little space for interfering as possible.

Or in other words, my plan to this point was to just pick one at random out of the "unadopted" list, and set it loose on the list each week.

*grin* Of course, if you *want* to program something, feel free.

Meg
--

Well, since my Vala avatar is Aulë (or Melkor. With PMS. Think I'll change the subject) I can't help but tinker with stuff.

Consider it on low level, B list, when Ang is twiddling thumbs and wants to whip up a toy or two, project list.

Toodles....

Eldecar stuff.....

The son of King Valacar of Gondor and Vidumavi. Vidumavi was the daughter of Vidugavia of the Northmen, the self-styled King of Rhovanion, and so Eldacar was of only half-Gondorian descent, a fact that led many to doubt Eldacar's right to rule. After his father's death, he sat on the throne for just five years when civil war broke out in Gondor. Ultimately, he was deposed by his Captain of Ships, Castamir, who took the throne himself.

Eldacar escaped into the north, where he spent ten years raising an army before he returned to reclaim his throne. In a great and bloody battle at the Crossings of Erui, Castamir was defeated and the remnant of his forces fled into the south, to Umbar. Eldacar ruled for another forty-three years after this war, known as the Kin-strife. His eldest son Ornendil had died at Castamir's hands, and he was succeeded by his second son, Aldamir.

I would like to see one of two vignette quickies....

(1) I would like to see the Moment when Eldacar was sitting there pondering the possibility that the civil war was fueled to fruition by his questionable right to rule. Something brooding and angsty.....

and...

(2) I would like to see a moment when Eldecar is dealing with the death of Ornendil. The grief, the anger, the bittersweet nature of his victory over Castamir....

Yes, I am in a mood.....

E.W.

Quickies 2003 - Quarter 1

These are the quickies that will be available starting January 1 and running through March 31, 2003:

• The fathers of Men awaken with the first rising of the Sun
  • Thranduil watches the assault of the Fëanorians on Menegroth
  • Celeborn and Celebrimbor have a conversation
  • A king accepts a ring from a mysterious stranger
  • A member of the Argonath construction crew looks on their work...
  • One day of invisible Bilbo at Mirkwood sneaking around;
  • Theoden's thoughts on the death of his wife in childbirth.
  • Swimming lessons: Boromir and Faramir as kids
  • Radagast at Rhosgobel when the Rangers went to check in with him when searching the area for signs of Black Riders
  • Racing the Black Riders: Asfaloth's POV.
  • How did Gollum get out of Moria if the bridge was broken?
  • The last stands of Dain and Brand.
  • Pippin asks Diamond to marry him
  • A woman of Esgaroth sells wine to the Wood Elves
  • A snapshot in the life of your average Haradrim mumâk trainer--how does he (she?) feel about her oliphants?

Ang

Great. I'm positively salivating already. [rubs hands in anticipation]

Does this mean that any of the others are open to a bit of poaching, should we want to poach a bit for the new members challenge?

Check out last post in "Challenge for New Members" thread - I've listed all of the ones I definitely will *not* be using.

Ang

Cirdan receives Narya from Gil-galad

I thougth Galadriel, Cirdan, and Gil-Galad had the rings. Cirdan gave his to Gandalf and Gil-Galad gave his to Elrond. Am I wrong?

--Ainaechoiriel

"Celebrimbor followed [Galadriel's] counsel that the Ring of Air and the Ring of Fire should be sent out of Eregion; and he entrusted them to Gil-galad in Lindon. (It is said here that at this time Gil-galad gave Narya, the Red Ring, to Círdan Lord of the havens, but later in the narrative there is a marginal note that he kept it himslef until he set out for the War of the Last Alliance.)"

"The History of Galadriel and Celeborn" Unfinished Tales

So, writers have the option of Gil-galad giving Círdan Narya at once, or having him hand over the ring at a later date. In any event, the ring came to Gil-galad's hand first, and he entrusted it to Círdan, so it will be interesting to see how the bauble is explained.

Ang

*note to self - must find the where-to-ask-dumb-newbie-type-questions-forum* In the mean time - are challenges here always plot based as opposed to style based?

Avon

*note to self - must find the where-to-ask-dumb-newbie-type-questions-forum*

The forum for questions about challenges is probably either 'Challenge Announcements' or to set up a new discussion thread in this forum, 'Prospective Challenges' which you can do simply by clicking on the red text 'post new topic' in the forum multi-threads view.

In the mean time - are challenges here always plot based as opposed to style based?

Interesting question. There are poetry challenges, but I don't recall a challenge based on style for a prose piece. I'd potentially be interested in such a project, do you have something in particular to propose?

Tavia

I was thinking of some I've had fun with in other fandoms and would enjoy playing with in LOTR universe. Two that I remember best were (1) Write a scene using only dialogue - trying to make the participnats identifiable through characterisation not giveaway lines. It should tell a story of sorts. (2) Write a short story/vignette - with only three words of dialogue in it. They do tend to be short short pieces, naturally.

Avon

Just add a new topic here in "Prospective Challenges" to propose a challenge concept/idea. Click on the "Add Topic" link on the page where you see the topic list.

Please *don't* post in Challenge Annoucnements, as that is for Dwim to be alerting people to big changes & developments pertaining to challenges as such.

Hope this helps clarify things! :-)

Ang

New quarter?

Are we going to put together a new set of challenges for the next quarter?

Re: New quarter?

Yes, I have a list [peeks into folder] around here [digs in electronic file] somewhere [opens more Excel files than you really want to know about...]

Found it!

15 brand new scenarios for the delectation of the membership.

Be sure to get your Quickies for Qtr 1 in ASAP!

Ang

PS - While the Challenge for Qtr 1 will close as of April 1, there will be a perpetual Nuzgul with all of the challenges for the year, increased as each quarter of Quickies closes. And *every* quickie story idea is available to any HASA member to take and elaborate as you wish.

Ummm, how about something on:

1. details on why did Fatty Bolger end up in prison before the hobbits returned to the Shire.

2. An elf moving to Ithilien post war of the Ring

3 . Bergil's search for athelas during ROTK

4. Faramir explaining to any noblewoman at court on why he decided to marry Eowyn

5. Gilraen and Aragorn as a toddler meet Elrond for the first time in Rivendell after Arathorn's death.

6. A Breelander's encounter with a Black Rider

7. Grima first comes to Theoden

8. Saruman wins Grima over to his side

Eeek! I already have the Quickies for the year picked and divvied up among the quarters, but these are pretty good, hmmm.

I think we need a quickie Nuzgul...

Ang

Seems I'm not the only one who can drop really bad nuzguls!

You've been taking lessons from the Foul Dwimordene, I can tell.

Ang

Is it time for the Quarter 3 quickies to be revealed?

Is it time for the Quarter 3 quickies to be revealed

Yes! One might actually bite me, as I'm mostly immune (okay, that's tempting fate, and things a lot worse...).

Is it time for the Quarter 3 quickies to be revealed?

And can we go ahead & use some old ideas even if the deadline for entering the challenge is past? The wine sale nuzgul is calling my name. . .

Also--Altariel, do you have any objections to me using the Faramir chess game idea someone proposed to you? Would be between he & Merry, & set between chapters 11 & 12 of "Snowdrops & Bluebells."

Altariel, do you have any objections to me using the Faramir chess game idea someone proposed to you? Would be between he & Merry, & set between chapters 11 & 12 of "Snowdrops & Bluebells."

Please do! Looking forward to seeing it

Many thanks! Will be titled "Capturing a White Queen"--will do my best to churn it out by Sunday.

Will be titled "Capturing a White Queen"--will do my best to churn it out by Sunday.

Brilliant! I'm away until Sunday evening, so I'll have that to look forward to when I get back

It's now up at both ff.net & here--I eagerly await your comments.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges