Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Infiltrating Dol Guldur: Gandalf and disguises

Infiltrating Dol Guldur: Gandalf and disguises

Anglachel strikes again. Got this proposal in an e-mail:

"I was researching something in Unfinished Tales today and re-read the "Quest of Erebor". A few weeks ago, I was re-reading Lay of Leithian. Something struck me as a parallel (one among many, in truth) within the two tales - in each the protagonists (Gandalf, Beren & Lúthien) have to disguise themselves to enter the fortress of an enemy. Plus the disguises upon Beren and Finrod as they tried to pass Tol-in-Gaurhoth. This got me thinking - how did Gandalf disguise himself?

The Istari are incarnate. They are stuck with the forms they have, just
as Beren & Lúthien were, so how exactly did Gandalf dress up or camouflage himself so as to be able to get in and out of Dol Guldur? He spent some time in there, so it had to be a reasonably good disguise.

Anyway, there's a challenge idea for you - How did Gandalf infiltrate
Dol Guldur? It could be quite macabre, given the lengths Beren & Lúthien went to in Lay of Leithian."

Additionally, I believe Radagast is described as "a master of shapes and hues"--sounds like a master of camoflauge to me. So, you've got a lot of evidence here that points towards some fascinating disguises and measures taken to infiltrate enemy defenses. How did Gandalf get into and get out of Dol Guldur undetected?

Do I see hands?

Re: Infiltrating Dol Guldur: Gandalf and disguises

*raises hand*

(why am i doing this? i already adopted a nuzgul and am surrounded by vampiric plot bunnies as it is...)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges