Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Happy Faramir

Happy Faramir

Those of us who have a soft spot (OK, in my case a major obsession ) for the Gallant Captain of Gondor turned Prince of Ithilien often find ourselves being hijacked by the “angst monster” when writing about him. Sometimes it’s simply a mild aside, sometimes it takes over the whole piece. I do wonder if it’s really necessary to include angst warnings on Faramir fics, since it’s almost part of the definition of such a story .

So, my current promise to myself, which I think it is only fair to throw open to the rest of the list as a challenge is to write a Faramir-centred fic in which there is absolutely no angst (not even a smidgen): Faramir is happy, he has a nice time and nice things happen to him, and nothing reminds him of the bad stuff.

Faramir can be any age, any place, with any combination of other characters, and the piece can be any length.

Anyone else want to take this up?

And if anyone can point me to any existing “happy Faramir” fics, I would be most appreciative (I think Regina and Tay have written some?)

Cheers, Liz

Re: Happy Faramir

So my current promise to myself, which I think it is only fair to throw open to the rest of the list as a challenge is to write a Faramir-centred fic in which there is absolutely no angst (not even a smidgen): Faramir is happy, he has a nice time and nice things happen to him, and nothing reminds him of the bad stuff.

Interesting premise, Liz. You'll forgive me for saying that I think such a fic would be boring, I hope. Not that I enjoy bad things happening to Faramir, or him being reminded of the bad things, but a story with *any* main character not facing any real challenges is a story, and a challenge where there's no danger doesn't seem very realistic to me.

Maybe you could give a suggestion of a "happy Faramir" scenario where Faramir is the main character? I think it might be possible to have a "happy Faramir" story where Faramir wasn't the central character, but I have a much harder time seeing a Faramir-centred one.

But I love Faramir stories, happy Faramir or sad Faramir, so if you can convince me happy Faramir-centric is plausible, I could very easily be bitten by this nuzgul.

Marta

You'll forgive me for saying that I think such a fic would be boring, I hope.

That was actually a concern of mine when proposing this (I have a half remembered quote rolling about in my head which I am mangling horribly about tales of good things soon been over and done with while bad things make good stories). However, what I said was no angst, not no "challenge". I think there is a difference and these fics could show it.

My own half-formed idea (also inspired by the "Make 'Em Laugh" nuzgul/challenge) is based on Faramir turning up in dripping wet clothes. While everyone rushes around helping him sort himself out with dry clothes etc, he explains how Merry and Pippin managed to give him a dunking "by accident". (This is the part I haven't worked out yet - but Faramir wouldn't be humiliated and would find it all funny. And I get to write a couple of mischievous hobbits.) Eowyn and Faramir get to be tender with each other - and the punchline is Faramir finding Pippin the next day and asking for another dunking since he so enjoyed what transpired with Eowyn afterwards

So, would you want to read that?

I have also been told via e-mail of another suggestion that involves a mini-"crisis" of a sort but no angst (well, not on Faramir's part, anyway). I can ask permission to post that idea here if you need another example.

Cheers, Liz

I would! And I'm definitely up for writing Happy Faramir. :-)

My story would involve Eowyn suspecting she is pregnant, though not quite sure enough to tell her beloved yet. Legolas, being an elf, has already precieved that she is, and, in his happiness for them both, decides to bring them a gift... of course, Leggy doesn't know that Faramir doesn't know yet... :-)

~Lady Aranel~

I think an awfully high proportion of my Faramir is non-angsty - at least, Angst isn't my motive and if I have him brooding, I try to show him coming to a conclusion. it is, after all, his strength I love. Even the first section of Breathe, which *was* written to stand alone, is non-angsty. SO I guess I am squarely in the *boring, not-a-story* camp.

Of course, I might be persuaded to write Faramir in a new place -- what were you looking for?

Oh, and check out the Starlight challenge - most of us wrote non-angsty Faramir there. Or does Little Faramir not count?

I think an awfully high proportion of my Faramir is non-angsty

Well you were one of the people I cited as writing non-angsty stuff! (I was actually thinking of your lovely "All these wore wings").

at least, Angst isn't my motive

And it's rarely mine - I don't set out to write fics with a high angst content, but so much of Faramir's personality is, IMHO, related to his lousy relationship with his father that the angst creeps in. When I wrote Sufficient it was supposed to be a light-hearted piece in which Faramir found his inability to shoot Legolas's bow amusing. Then Faramir told me that he gets cross with himself when he can't do something because he knows how important it is for him to succeed for his father's and Gondor's sake. Hence I ended up with a mildly angsty piece, even if it had a happy ending. And wondered why my Faramir fics so often take that route...

Of course, I might be persuaded to write Faramir in a new place -- what were you looking for?

I suspect I am looking for post-Ring War stories in which Faramir is - at least for the duration of that story - not haunted by all the bad things the Professor had happen to him in the books But even stuff about him when he's younger generally seems to involve suffering and brooding, except for...

Oh, and check out the Starlight challenge - most of us wrote non-angsty Faramir there. Or does Little Faramir not count?

I have. There are some lovely stories in there. And yes, Little Faramir does count, since by the time of those pieces, he had lost his mother and I'm guessing Denethor was already not winning prizes for "Best Dad in Middle-earth."

Does that help?

Cheers, Liz

Liz, I think I'm going to take you up on this. I've got a Faramir/Éowyn story in the works, but as much of it is angsty, it won't satiate your Happy!Faramir needs. ;) However, I've got an idea for a short piece that'll work for it--it's fourteen years after the War of the Ring, and it deals with one of his kids. We'll see what I can come up with over the next few days.

Mel

Well you were one of the people I cited as writing non-angsty stuff! (I was actually thinking of your lovely "All these wore wings").

That's what I get for not reading my mail - I have been too busy looking for pictures from Wellington, and hooking Chris up with dreamweaver.

I have had a story I have meant to write for some time - it is the sweet moment of the bittersweet that follow out of River of Fallen Stars -- what time frame and length are we looking at? (I just looked at my notebook and blanched a little at the unfullfilled checkmarks for promised stories.)

Mel

great you want to take up the challenge and your idea sounds good - I can see definitely see Faramir with his children being Happy Faramir.

I would also like to read your angsty Faramir/Éowyn story (I'm not anti-angst, just feel it's all too easy to have poor Faramir angsting and the guy deserves a break every now and then from the continual doom and gloom) - is it archived anywhere yet or still too much of a WIP?

Cheers, Liz

I have had a story I have meant to write for some time - it is the sweet moment of the bittersweet that follow out of River of Fallen Stars

Excellent!

what time frame and length are we looking at? (I just looked at my notebook and blanched a little at the unfullfilled checkmarks for promised stories.)

I was going to consult the people who manage the challenges to see what a suitable timeframe would be if I got any interest. What sort of timeframe would you prefer (eg, do you want to be pushed to do this particular piece soon or left in peace because there are more urgent things you need to write)?

Length is up to you (although I suspect this will lend itself more to vignettes/very short stories than longer pieces, otherwise the risk of angst creeping in rises dramatically).

Cheers, Liz

That was actually a concern of mine when proposing this (I have a half remembered quote rolling about in my head which I am mangling horribly about tales of good things soon been over and done with while bad things make good stories). However, what I said was no angst, not no "challenge". I think there is a difference and these fics could show it.

Maybe you could offer a definition of how you're using the word angst? I suppose I wasn't thinking of the term in terms of how it's usually used in fanfic, simply because I'm so new to writing I've never gotten a good definition. I was thinking of it in terms of what I know of the German root. Reaching way back into the recesses of my memory here, but I think the German word basically means a sense of anxiety, but more acute, and often without a defined cause. Could be wrong on that. Anyway, what definition would you suggest?

My own half-formed idea (also inspired by the "Make 'Em Laugh" nuzgul/challenge) is based on Faramir turning up in dripping wet clothes. While everyone rushes around helping him sort himself out with dry clothes etc, he explains how Merry and Pippin managed to give him a dunking "by accident". (This is the part I haven't worked out yet - but Faramir wouldn't be humiliated and would find it all funny. And I get to write a couple of mischievous hobbits.) Eowyn and Faramir get to be tender with each other - and the punchline is Faramir finding Pippin the next day and asking for another dunking since he so enjoyed what transpired with Eowyn afterwards

Yes, with or without this challenge. It sounds very funny, which I enjoy.

All right, I'm beginning to see how you could write non-angsty Faramir, especially if it's humor. I think once I see that definition I'll probably be good to go, although it would help to see a scenario that wasn't angsty but wasn't straight-out humor.

Marta

The first chapter of my Faramir/Éowyn story is up in the beta section here at HA, and more of it is up at FFN. It's called "Neither Death nor Pain", and can be found at either of the following locations:

http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/works/chapter.cfm?STID=2800

http://www.fanfiction.net/read.php?storyid=1587809

It's not all angst, but I do like to put characters through the emotional wringer. Of course, that can include happiness too.

I'm glad you like my idea for this challenge--I think it'll be a lot of fun to write. It's going to have some funny moments in it, but mostly, it's about Faramir talking to Elboron about birth and life as they wait for Éowyn to give birth to the youngest child in the family. Aragorn may show up in it as well, primarily because he has a tendency to show up in my stories whether I invite him to or not.

Mel

um...how happy can Faramir be?

I got me an idea for a "Happy Faramir" fic. He be soooo happy. He be having a fine time and LOTS of nice things happen to him.

That's the only rule -- no angst?

Lindorien

Maybe you could offer a definition of how you're using the word angst?

Hmm, maybe I could or maybe I will fail hopelessly

OK, my dictionary defines it (as per your definition) as "an acute but non-specific sense of anxiety or remorse". I think in fanfic terms the definition seems to be more "an acute sense of anxiety and remorse over something specific" and an "angst warning" on a fic would say to me that the characters spend a lot of time brooding and agonising and suffering psychologically and generally going on about it. (And that maybe you want to give them a good shake/slap for doing so.)

Now, in Faramir's case, being a very serious and thoughtful man with a certain amount of psychological baggage from his family situation, it's very easy (too easy) to write him brooding on and remembering the bad things that have happened to him and having those thoughts colour his actions in the story. Yet I don't believe anyone lives in a state of permanent broodiness, so what I wanted to see was whether people could produce fics in which Faramir was not obsessing over his dead mother/brother/father, the fact his father tried to kill him, the black breath, his sense of having failed his father, or any of the other "issues" that seem to crop up when we write about him. A fic in which he doesn't brood at all and is merely happy.

So maybe the rule is really: no brooding?

I agree that some and perhaps most of these fics will be straight-out humor (and to that I would say: why not? IMHO, we could do with more Faramir-related comedy ) - but they could also be (off the top of my head) PWP or romance, they could be (as per Melyanna's idea) about Faramir with his children (earlier today, I read Altariel's "Fair Game" - while there is angst in there, what really struck me was her wonderful portrait of Faramir as a father and uncle) or simply domestic - Faramir helps get in the harvest on the home farm....

Am I helping my cause at all here? Quite frankly if all I get is the several fics I know I've encouraged people to write as a result of this thread in which we see a happer side to Faramir, I will be content. And if I can actually produce my own non-angsty, non-brooding Faramir fic, I will be delirious (and not a little amazed)

Cheers, Liz

um...how happy can Faramir be?

You tell me, Lindorien!

I got me an idea for a "Happy Faramir" fic. He be soooo happy. He be having a fine time and LOTS of nice things happen to him.

Hmm, I'm envisaging either PWP or Faramir as "Forest Gump"....

Apparently. Well, if I can convince Marta...

Cheers, Liz

I just wrote it. And he suffers no remorse and broods not even a little.

I make no promises regarding the unfortunate reader.

I do promise, however, that this is a snot-free fic.

Where are we supposed to post these things?

Lindorien

Where are we supposed to post these things?

Well, where do you usually post them?

If it's drabble-length or thereabouts (and knowing you, I suspect it may be), I'm sure no-one will mind you posting it in here.

Cheers, Liz

I tried to keep it to 100 words, but that would have required 10 more minutes of effort than I was willing to put into it...

I have lots of longfics. Its just that most are offlist at the moment.

Um. They may mind my posting it here.

Usually with challenges, I think, There is a folder thingy or something set up in challenges and then people accept the challenge and there is a deadline and people post their fics there.

Dwim has explained it to me about 10 times and I still don't get it.

As the Happy Challenge Prospector, I think you have to ask her. Or maybe Marta?

Lindorien

Apparently. Well, if I can convince Marta...

I have just been having a conversation with one of my fellow Nuzgul hutch wardens, and we agree that this would be a good challenge. So the question is... do we have five people willing to commit to this bugger? (All right, four... you've convinced me.

Are you sure, though, that you want to keep this just Faramir? I'm going to let Liz call this one, since it's her idea, but Faramir's not the only character that gets more than his share of angst (per Liz's remarkably successful definition). Frodo and Eowyn come to mind here, though I'm sure there are others.

So I'm envisioning this as, take a character or situation which is usually angst-ridden and write it with no angst. I'd like to give three or four options. For example:

1. Anything Faramir
2. Anything Frodo set between Henneth Annun and Orodruin
3. Eowyn between Grima's rise to power and the Houses of Healing sequence

However, if you want to keep this Faramir-centric, and if five people are interested, I'll set it up as a challenge. Then everyone can just create their stories like they would normally and link it to a challenge. If anyone around here's new and needs specific instructions on how to do any of that I can help.

But, yes, you've twisted my arm.

Marta

As mine is already written -- you've got my arm in the air.

lindorien

Usually with challenges, I think, There is a folder thingy or something set up in challenges and then people accept the challenge and there is a deadline and people post their fics there.

I'm not officially an admin, so I can't set the challenge up myself, but if we have five people interested in this, I'll see that it gets done in the next few days. Here's how it works:

1. Someone proposes a nuzgul. Liz has done that.

2. Five people agree to write the bugger. It looks like we're well on your way to that.

3. The challenge admin creates what's known as a "challenge." These have a description of what the challenge is, and a deadline. To see some examples go to http://www.henneth-annun.net/members/challenge/challenges_all.cfm .

4. You write your story and post it in HASA, just like you would a normal story.

5. Go to your stories list (click on "my stories" then "story list"). Scroll to the bottom of the screen. You'll see "Accept Challenge or Adopt Nuzgul". Click on it.

6. Select the challenge you want to accept (when the admin creates th challenge, they'll give it a name. I'm thinking something along the lines of "Don't Worry, Be Happy", but that's just off the top of my head.

7. Select the story you wrote for the challenge from the list of your stories.

8. Select whether you want the story to be for the group's eyes only, or to go up at the public side of the site. After a challenge's deadline has passed, if five or more people actually wrote fics, then that challenge goes to the public archives (you don't have to submit your story for review). But if you don't want it going up at the public site, then select for the group only and your story won't be displayed.

That's more or less it. If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Once I get a definite description for this bugger and five people agreeing to write the story (or having already written it, as the case may be), and I'll see about getting the challenge set up.

Marta

Hi Marta

humming and ha-ing about whether to keep it focused on Faramir. My point was that *whatever* one writes about Faramir, the angst monster always seems to take a bite somewhere.

Whereas I feel this is less true about other characters - but I've probably just personally wallowed less in angst fics about them.

I think I would be happy to widen it to a small set of speciifc characters and circumstances and I like the two you have suggested.

The challenge is really to repeatedly keep beating off the angst monster that tries to assault you as you write a fic about a character/situation where to include angst feels nearly inevitable.

If I read this thread aright, I have pledges from

Lady Aranel
Lindorien
Marta
Melyanna

possibly powzie/fileg/Tay

and me, of course.

Does that actually make five yet? Are we now on step 3 (and what do I need to do to help there) or still on step 2 and I still need to beat someone else up?

Cheers, Liz

If I read this thread aright, I have pledges from

Lady Aranel
Lindorien
Marta
Melyanna

possibly powzie/fileg/Tay

and me, of course

Does that actually make five yet?

By my counting, that's five, six if Tay jumps in. In which case we have the makings of a challenge. I'll take it up with Dwim, and get this thing made into a challenge. Of course, if you still want to beat other people up, then I'm not going to stop you. ;-)

Now, let's talk some logistics for a moment.

Deadline - looking at the currently running challenges, we have two coming up in January (the 7th and the 18th) and two more in March (the 15th and the 29th). Challenges generally run 2-3 months, though really short ones can run longer (for example, one that requires a drabble, or Nessime's Harvest Challenge we did for Thanksgiving). So how about setting a deadline the third week of February? That might work well, because it coming so close after Valentine's Day we could try to use that to get some romance stories out of the group.

Description - since you've demonstrated you've got five interested in doing just Faramir, and that's who originally inspired this idea (which I like more and more, the more I think about it), I say let's keep it just Faramir. Now that I think about it, Faramir is really unique in that he has so much horrible stuff happen to him, but he's also intensely contemplative. That's a recipe for angst if I ever saw one, and since enough people are interested I'm inclined to keep this Faramir-only.

I'm thinking, per description, something along the lines of:

=-=-=

Faramir. His mother died when he was a small child. His father clearly favored his older brother his entire life. His brother died on a mission spawned by his dream. His father even went so far as to say he wished Faramir dead, and when Faramir couldn't even die properly in battle, his father tried to finish him off.

But you knew that already.

Faramir had his share of bad things happen to him, true, but no one thinks about the bad things all the time. He had to have some happy things happen to him. Yet, so much of the Faramir-centric stories seem to ignore these happier times. As Liz said,

[enter Liz quote about Faramir stories not needing angst warnings]

So write Faramir a story, any genre you want, any POV, any time in his life. But no angst. None at all, not even a smidgen.

=-=-=

And my third logistical question is, would you mind me using the said quote? I think it was you who said it, in your first or second post, that so many Faramir stories were angsty that they almost didn't need an angst warning.

And with that, I'll end this terribly long post.

Marta

Hi Marta

Now that I think about it, Faramir is really unique in that he has so much horrible stuff happen to him, but he's also intensely contemplative. That's a recipe for angst if I ever saw one

LOL, I knew I'd wear you down eventually on keeping it Faramir only! I agree that he is unique - the other characters only have bits of their stories that are ripe for angst, Faramir seems to attract angst wherever he goes

The deadline is good.

I really like the way you have constructed the description (want to mention being attacked by the Witch King and the Black Breath as well?) Do we also need a definition of angst in there (happy for you to crib anything I wrote earlier) as this seemed to cause some confusion and requests for clarification?

And yes, happy for you to use the quote about no need for angst warnings on Faramir-fics.

Yay, I have a challenge all my own ;-)

Cheers, Liz

Yay, I have a challenge all my own ;-)

You are a cruel and awful person.

Those nuzgul you sic on people really know how to bite. I am black and blue and wounded. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. My Happy Faramir story is done! short but finished, at least in beta.

Wicked, Liz. Keeping me up all night. Forcing me to write. Making me neglect my other stories and Real Life (tm) for your idea. it's all your fault.

So where and when can I post this on your challenge?

Gwynnyd

maybe just make it a no Faramir angst? But other characters in the story may angst?

Aranel

Here's what I have. Let me know if you guys have any changes. If I don't hear back by later tonight, I'll send it on to Dwim, and we'll get this challenge up.

=-=-=

Challenge: Don’t Worry, Be Happy
Deadline: 20 February 2003

Description:

Faramir. His mother died when he was a small child. His father clearly favored his older brother his entire life. His brother Boromir died on a mission spawned by Faramir’s dream. His father even went so far as to say he wished Faramir dead, and when Faramic couldn’t even die properly in battle, his father tried to finish him off. And then there’s little bit about his being attacked by the Witch-king and breathing more of the Black Breath than is healthy.

But you knew all that already.

Faramir experienced his share of trauma, true, but no one thinks about the bad things all the time. He had to have some happy things happen to him. Yet, so much of the Faramir-centric stories seem to ignore these happier times. As Liz said, “I do wonder if it’s really necessary to include angst warnings on Faramir fics, since it’s almost part of the definition of such a story.”

So write Faramir a story, any genre you want, any POV, any time in his life. Just make him happy. He’s to feel no angst. None. Not even a smidgen. (What you do with the other characters is your own affair.)

=-=-=

Marta

Um, anyone up for doing a beta-look-see-comment on this 1500 word piece of fluff?

Gwynnyd

Marta, I'd suggest adding that this can be any length. I think that was something we agreed upon earlier. Other than that, it looks great.

And Gwynnyd, I'd offer, but mine has wrapped up at a little more than twice that, at 3200 words, so I've got my work cut out for me in editing.

Mel

Hi Marta

looks good apart from you have "even" a couple of times in the middle. Can I suggest as an alternative: His father went so far as to say he wished Faramir dead instead, and when Faramir couldn’t even die properly in battle, his father tried to finish him off.

And I agree that you should add in Mel's suggestion of any length, just to make that clear.

Post away.

Cheers, Liz

Hi Gwynnyd

Those nuzgul you sic on people really know how to bite. I am black and blue and wounded. I only got 3 hours of sleep last night. My Happy Faramir story is done! short but finished, at least in beta.

Well, I've clearly tapped into a rich vein of latent desire to write non-angsty Faramir... glad to hear you've responded to the challenge Gwynnyd.

So where and when can I post this on your challenge?

I think Marta and Dwim will be sorting out the challenge soon - then you post your story as normal and associated it with the challenge.

Gwynnyd, happy to take a look at your fic and comment back (I guess I ought to feel some kind of responsibility for encouraging people write this stuff) when I can.

Cheers, Liz

Liz:

Gwynnyd, happy to take a look at your fic and comment back (I guess I ought to feel some kind of responsibility for encouraging people write this stuff) when I can.

Thank you. Where should I send it? You don't seem to have an e-mail address associated with your name. Mine is on my bio page, so feel free to ping me and I will reply.

Gwynnyd

You have another victim. *shakes off nuzgul* I do love Faramir for all his angst and how he's able to recover from it, but the poor guy does need some happy moments - he can't spend all his time brooding!

I'm really looking foward to reading all these fics when they're done, too.

Ehtele

I'm not sure why the Challenge forums are doubling. How very weird. Anyhow, go here to continue talking. Also find there the link to "Don't Worry, Be Happy". Write on, people.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges