Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: The Temptation of Sauron

The Temptation of Sauron

How do you suppose Sauron came to be as he was? Everyone has a beginning, and Sauron's was in the House of Aule. What could possess a powerful maia to forsake his duty in exchange for power? The challenge is to write a story explaining how Sauron came to be on Melkor's team, whether it be when it happened or in reflection.

Re: The Temptation of Sauron

I'd be interested to see fics about this, as Sauron's turn is usually assumed. There are a few fics that touch on this I can think of, but none really go to the heart of it, at least, not that I've read. Takers?

Parody? Or is this supposed to be serious? Or does it not matter?

Tyellas has written one. It's at her site here, It's called "Terrible Alchemy." Be warned: it's slash, very adult, very dark. Borderline non-con, as you can imagine. Both the theology AND the geology are frightening! (It has a lot of really interesting ideas on Maia spirit/form; how the spirit influences the form and vice versa. And Sauron both seems to choose his fate and be predisposed to it by his nature.) It's a fascinating subject that I think could support a lot of different fics and interpretations.

Hi! I came across your idea in the Nuzgul Hutch not long ago, and it latched its little fangs into my leg! So I'm writing one, which I don't yet have a name for - I may just call it 'The Temptation Of Sauron' - but I do have two chapters! The prologue will be up soon - I'm halfway through the 3rd Draft! Thanx! DD

I'd be interested, especially if you allow parodies. Either way, though. CLF

Would you be interested in making this a more general challenge-how/why any of the Maia came to switch sides? I ask because a little Saruman nuzgul has attached itself firmly to my ankle and won't let go. ;), Elemmíre

Ok- just to let anyone whose interested know - I've posted the Prologue of mine. The story's called 'Fallen'. Please, read it! Hope you like it, and I hope it's OK! Demon D If you'd like to read it the link is - here

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges