Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Thranduil's Letter Challenge

Thranduil's Letter Challenge

The Mirkwood Castle group is closing in a month's time due to lack of activity. I suggested a final farewell by issuing a fic challenge based on a single opening scene (below). Several authors there have accepted the challenge, and some have already posted their stories. Would anyone here be interested in it? It starts like this: Thranduil looked up from the documents he was studying as there was a knock on the door and a messenger entered. “A letter, my Lord. The courier said it was most urgent.” Curiously, for the seal was unfamiliar, Thranduil opened the message and read it swiftly. Then he read it again, more slowly, and looked at the messenger in silence for a moment before responding. What do you think? Who is the letter from? What does it say? Jay

Re: Thranduil's Letter Challenge

Sounds fascinating! I already have a vision of who the letter is from... *mutter* Damn nuzgul... Ouch! Yes, already, I'm accepting it! Count me in! ~Meril

Super. Just what I need...Another #@$$%$%@#$@$#@#$ Nuzgul... *sigh* Count me in...

Great! That's three ...

. Just wicked! There's room for lots here. Anything from a murder mystery to a major political crisis. Are there any more takers? This just needs another two! Jay, what kind of time-line are you looking at for this? The usual challenge time frame is about 3 months, though recent challenges have been given up to a year by popular demand. cheers, nrink

nrink wrote: ...though recent challenges have been given up to a year by popular demand. &*$%#**#@&#^$%#^@&^ RL.... Interfering with my challenge schedule! Time is precious. However, I think I could manage something on this one in three months... maybe four or five would be better, though. Having this one as a 3-5 monther would just knock some of those yearlong ones down to the bottom of my Challenge Priority List. ~Challenge-Overextended!Meril

hi Jay, As I am already working on this challenge for the Mirkwood Castle, count me amongst the required five. Karri

Bouncing in briefly here - counting Jay, I think we're just short of one. Calling for one more brave volunteer! Looking at the prompt, this doesn't necessarily have to be a complete elf fic, so all you people who write dwarves, hobbits and men will have plenty to write about. Hop on board, please! Dashing off lest she gets bitten, nrink

Great! We've got our five - Meril, Arandil, nrink nrink, Karri, and myself. Now to put it on the main board ... Thanks, everyone! Edit: Have I miscounted? nrink, are you in? Anyway, I think perhaps a 4-month deadline gives people long enough to nurture plot bunnies without them leaving home ... Jay

Jay could you count me in too if need be!? Fael bain

Thanks - that's definitely five now - we have a challenge! Are there any more takers? I'll go and prod the Mirkwood Castle group again - several of them have accepted the challenge, and I know some belong to HASA as well.

Hi Jay, nrink will give it a shot. She's never written elves before, and now might be a good time to start. Congratulations - you've hatched yourself a lovely little challenge! I'll be putting it up shortly - deadline is 6 months from today. Btw, Jay please feel free to fling your nuzgul on HA and around HASA. More victims can't hurt. Watch this space... cheers, nrink

Hi all, The challenge is up! You'll find it here. I've also put up a thread over at the Challenges: Story Discussions forum where you can make yourselves at home and start the ball rolling. Great work Jay - thanks! cheers, nrink

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges