Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: When out the hellish legion sallied...

When out the hellish legion sallied...

Anyone interested in a quick Halloween challenge? This one could be quite short, in either prose or verse; also it could be an on-list challenge, which I don't think we've had in a while. Write a precautionary tale about one of Middle-earth's more frightening denizens or places. For example... * Frighten your favourite elfling with a story of Ungoliant, Taur-nu-Fuin, or Fëanor. * Set Eomer to terrify (or try!) Eowyn with a story of the Paths of the Dead, the ghost of Helm, or the dread Lady of the Wood. * The North is a pretty creepy place–trolls, wraiths, wolves, Rangers...perhaps Bilbo has stories we haven't heard? Plus Evil must have terrors of it's own...like that nasty Lúthien. ;) Anyone interested? Elemmíre

Re: When out the hellish legion sallied...

*takes frightened look at amount of placeholders. Looks at challenge.* Oh, dear... Back, fanged beastie, back I say! *runs screaming.* *CRASH.* *fighting ensues* *Meril emerges bedraggled, and clearly not victorious.* *sigh* I'm not going to be able to concentrate on my fairy tales class at all this morning... Count me in.... ~Meril [Edit: Yep, true enough. Whilst discussing German fairy tales, and the Grimms brothers, I found my mind wandering to the Rohirrim and their perceptions of the Golden Wood... *resigned sigh*]

This looks good. Could you count me in? CLF

Hmm, this sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Count me in too! Just one little thing: I'd need at least a month to get it done. When is the deadline going to be? The day (or week) before Halloween would work for me. Then the entries could be published on Oct 31. Deadline details, anyone? Regards, Beruthiel

Plus Evil must have terrors of it's own...like that nasty Lúthien. ;) *shivers* nrink, friend of all nuzgul big and small runs off shrieking... Well, it looks like we have 3 already - Beruthiel, Meril (truly nuzgul plagued she is ), and CLF. Elemmire, do we count you in? And yes, what kind of deadline are you looking at, and would you really like this to be an onlist challenge? If so, you'll need a word limit. Anyone else for it? I see lots of possibilities for truly spine-chilling entertainment here - imagine Gandalf telling a ghost story in the Mines of Moria; young Faramir and Boromir getting spooked whilst playing in Rath Dinen... cheers, nrink

nrink wrote: Meril (truly nuzgul plagued she is ) *sobs* After this one, NO MORE, I swear! And I'm sticking to it this time! Yep... truly, famous last words. ~Meril

Arrrgggghhhh! *Don't hit Post Reply.... don't hit Post Reply ...trying to hold back hand from mouse...* Yarrgh! :/ *sigh* Count me in! Vistula

I'm in, which I think makes five! October 31st is probably a good deadline-that gives everyone a month & a half. , Elemmíre

Hey Elemmire, Give yourself a pat on the back! Your challenge is up here. Have a good time everyone! I'm looking forward to a nice crop of hair-raising tales from you lot. cheers, nrink

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges