Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: A VERY Interesting Question...

A VERY Interesting Question...

'And this I remember of Boromir as a boy, when we together learned the tale of our sires and the history of our city, that always it displeased him that his father was not king. "How many hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king returns not?" he asked. "Few years, maybe, in other places of less royalty," my father answered. "In Gondor ten thousand years would not suffice." Alas! poor Boromir. Does that not tell you something of him?' Hmmm...a very interesting question. So how many years does it take? What was Frodo's reaction to that? Or Faramir's? How did that question impact the people who knew about it? What did Faramir think of that question when Aragorn was made King? What did Denethor REALLY think about the question, or about his son that asked it? Did child!Faramir have a reaction to it? I'm sure there are other questions that can be asked, but the challenge is this. Write a story about a character's reaction to that question...or a drabble/poem, or whatever strikes your fancy. And before you come after me, Marta should have most of the credit for this nuzgul. I've already written two drabbles with this quesiton and would ba happy to submit those as entries, so here I am! The first entry. Anyone else? Cheryl apprentice nuzgul flinger under Marta's sage tutoring...

Re: A VERY Interesting Question...

Ooh! I'd be interested!

Ooh! I'd be interested! CLF, we're going to have to develop a 12-step program for you, aren't we? "Step 1: Talk to Ang to make sure the programming can accommodate triple-digit placeholder-counts for each member." Seriously, I'm glad you're interested. Any idea what you want to write? I'm just curious, because personally, I'd like to see the scene where Frodo is told the news, from Frodo's perspective. Not sure if you're interested, and of course you're free to write whatever you like. But I thought I'd dangle that carrot. Me? I already have two stories revolving around this question: "How Many Years?" and "Pride & Despair." I'll be entering both of those. And *sigh* I have a new nuzgul. Imrahil hears about Boromir's question from Faramir and discusses the incident with Denethor. I don't know when I'll get around to writing that piece, though. So we have two entries from me and two from Cheryl, and CLF is interested. That's three authors and five stories. Do we need five authors, or are we set to go? Marta

I need a triple digit account. It's all these dang nuzgul. It would be interesting to hear from Frodo's point of view. Here is Aragorn, this man that he has known for a while, who protected him, gave him aid, etc. Then, Frodo meets a very different part of the spectrum: a son of the Steward who has been, virtually, the king of Gondor, as well as a descendant of the ones who have kept Gondor safe from harm's way. Then, here comes Aragorn, ready to take the throne after Boromir's family has kept it safe for centuries. How would Frodo view the situation after that? I'm definitely going to write that one! Since we already have five entries, I think it would be good if it would become a Challenge. Needing five authors can probably put a strain on those of us victims who tend to be drawn to these challenges , and can make it take longer to become a challenge. What if a Progressive Challenge only needed five entries to become an official Challenge? CLF

I'm thinking of poor dumbbunny Pippin, when he finally starts to figure things out: ''Kingship?" said Pippin amazed. "Yes," said Gandalf. "If you have walked all these days with closed ears and mind asleep, wake up now!" So count me in, too. But give us a while - it'll take me months to recover from the strain of putting four hundred words together for Aeneid...

So count me in, too. "And the fellowship for the challenge shall be four... four to match the circling plot bunnies, that are evil." But give us a while - it'll take me months to recover from the strain of putting four hundred words together for Aeneid... Is six months long enough? Or would you like longer? Just so folks know. I am not an admin anymore. Or... er, technically still an admin, but an admin whom RL has forced to take an indefinite leave of absence. :-( So I'm not acting as CM, so I can't set up this challenge. But I will drop Dwim and Nrink an email and see if one of them can get this set up. Thanks, Marta

Thanks for your e-mail Marta! Congratulations, people! The challenge will be up shortly - keep your eyes peeled for it. I'll have it up for 6 months as Marta's suggested. cheers! nrink

Okay! Please find the challenge here. Marta/Cheryl, please feel free to set up your own thread over at the Story Discussion forum, and I'll link it up. cheers! nrink

#How many years must a Steward reign Before you can call him a king?... The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind...# Cheesy, yes, but it was asking for it.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges