Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Working Life in Middle Earth

Working Life in Middle Earth

With Allie's/Meril's help (thank you!) I have another idea to fling at you: "Working Life in Middle Earth" Many of us have jobs. Always, there are some aspects of our jobs that we love, and others that we hate. How do the inhabitants of Arda feel about their jobs, about the daily grind? Servants in the Citadel? A guard on duty? A hobbit farmer? A student of lore in Minas Tirith? A washerwoman? And if you want to get complicated, how about the evil side of things? Nazgûl, the Mouth, Haradrim, Easterlings - they have jobs, too. Or what about your own job - or the Middle Earth-equivalent of your job, if you can think of it? Would a computer programmer be a spy-master in Minas Tirith, developing new codes for secret messages? Any length, genre, rating, Age: any person doing or not doing, loving or hating their job. What do you think about this idea? Yours Juno [Edit: This one is up and running, too. Go to the challenge or have a look at the story discussion of the daily grind here ]

Re: Working Life in Middle Earth

Those nuzgul *do* breed like bunnies! Seeing your requirements, I would think that my story "Fire on the Mountain" (about the watchers on the beacon hills) would certainly be qualified. Is it a problem it's already entered in another Challenge (one of the Quickies though I forget which)? If not, I'm in! I'm still pondering if "Enmities" (about a she-orc's life) would qualify. And that's also written for another Challenge... Amanda.

I'm fascinated! Damn, Juno, you come up with too many ideas. But count me in anyway!

Is it a problem it's already entered in another Challenge (one of the Quickies though I forget which)? Absolutely not. I think Marta and I each have stories that we've entered in four different challenges or nuzgul. Hmm, I may have a story idea for this one, but I need to think about it some more before I commit myself (and, with any luck, I'll be able to fold it into one of my existing nuzgul). Cheers, Liz

I think my "Mag the Cook Remembers Boromir" would qualify, so I'm in too. And I think Elen Kortorion's "To The Edge of Night ....Seven Tells of a Moment" might qualify as well. I'll ask her if she's interested. Ann

Amanda, what about your "Fallen" (which we are impatiently waiting to see updated, by the way....) OT: how's the ankle coming along? Ann [Edit] Oops, Amanda! I momentarily got you mixed up with Aliana. Only one day older, and already signifcant memory loss.... Ann

I know. I have about three new ideas each day. Yours Juno

Oops, Amanda! I momentarily got you mixed up with Aliana. No problem! Though I was just beginning to scratch my head in wonderment before I noticed your edit. It's all those "A"-names... Amanda (whose ankle is fine but would like to know about Aliana's)

"Working Life in Middle Earth" Ow....ouch...back, back foul beast!!! Nooooo!!! *sigh* Count me in. This one seems just too good to pass up. Vistula

Hi all. And if you want to get complicated, how about the evil side of things? Nazgûl, the Mouth, Haradrim, Easterlings - they have jobs, too. I have a story that fits here as well. Count me in. Werecat

Does your story feature our favorite entry-level orc? Mid-day shift at Elf -Fil-A: Teenage orc: You want dwarves with that? Ann

Congrats, Juno! I do believe you have spawned another challenge! I'm glad that this one worked out. We have the five brave souls who volunteered: Amanda, Noldo, Ann, Vistula, and Werecat. Since some of these are stories already written, can we say... 3 months? 6 months? Volunteers? Does anyone have a say on some sort of timeframe? Always, Allie

Hi Allie, thanks. Doing my best to cope with those nuzgûl. I think three months should be sufficient for this one. But I'm open for other suggestions, too. I have like a thousand ideas about what to write for this one! Yours JunoWithWayTooManyIdeas

Hi Ann. Yeap, the story involves an angsty orc, but not the one in my MS story. It's about the orc that tend the Witch-king's fell beasts... It's titled Night Course in Pet Care, if you feel like reading. ...dwarves with that... *chuckle* Werecat

Since some of these are stories already written, can we say... 3 months? 6 months? Yaarrrghhh! Three months? I will certainly bow to the majority but would personally vote for six months... Vistula ~ who is one of the few without something started yet!!

Six months would be far, far better! I'm a totally useless writer when it comes to speed.

Thank you...thank you...thank you Noldo! I could kiss your nazgul plagued ankles in gratitude for your seconding of my motion! Vistula

Then we'll have six months... after all, there's no hurry, is there? And I have nothing written, either, for this one...yet... Yours JunoLazy

*does happy dance of postponement* Woohoo! Now I don't have to hurry so much. NoldoAlsoLazy

I was so shocked yesterday evening when a story I wrote for the PubCrawl Challenge turned out very dark and depressing again that I simply need some respite... Yours JunoShocked

Oh dear. I seem to have a story in progress that might fit this... Captain's Last Gift is about a Prostitute in Minis Tirith.... ~Lady Aranel~

All right! With everything settled, I'll go and set this one up. Always, Allie edit: Challenge is posted! Juno, or anyone, can go and set up a thread in Challenges: Story Discussions for this one.

Hello, just one more word before people jump to another forum. Ann, thanks for remembering my story (even if the "A" names do get a bit confusing sometimes ;) ) and also for remembering my ankle. (Details of the mishap can be found here for those of you who are really bored ) Which is all right now-- it's the knee that's a problem, now... Anyway, this sounds like a terrific challenge-- hearing from the "ordinary folks" is always great. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Cheers, Ali

Hi Allie! I just posted the discussion. Let's talk about it here: the working life in Middle-earth Yours Juno P.S.: Can anyone tell me exactly where I should post a wish for my birthday drabble next year?

P.S.: Can anyone tell me exactly where I should post a wish for my birthday drabble next year? Depends on when your birthday is. I don't think a thread has been started for even December yet, so you have quite a bit of time if it's next year. But the forum is HASA Birthday Cards. Always, Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges