Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Confessions to the Sleepless Night

Confessions to the Sleepless Night

Alright everyone! I've held off as long as I can but since no one else seems to show any mercy, neither shall I. Here's my idea: Take a character, any character who finds him or herself sleepless when all those around are slumbering. Write about his or her thoughts regarding another character who can be seen and is still asleep. For example: Elrond thoughts about a sleeping Estel who is newly brought to Rivendell and lays cradled in his mother's arms. Boromir contemplates Aragorn as a potential king while taking his turn on watch enroute to Moria. Faramir's thoughts as he watches a sleeping Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. Sam seethes over Gollum on the way to Mordor. As you might imagine, the possibilities are endless. I'm thinking these should be relatively short pieces...drabble length to about 1500 words, however I'm agreeable if longer lengths are desired. Let me know what you think!! Cheers, Vistula

Re: Confessions to the Sleepless Night

I already have something that fits this. One question, though: can this scene be part of a larger work? -- Noldo shopping for bite-proof socks and nuzgul repellent

Nice one, Vistula! And there is no mercy in this forum... He he he... Any more takers? Noldo wrote: shopping for bite-proof socks and nuzgul repellent You cannot hide... THEY. SEE. YOU. Always, Allie

Ouch! Bad Nuzgûl! Down! Down, I say! ...shaking bitten thumb... ...count me in. Yours JunoBitten

You cannot hide... THEY. SEE. YOU. Augh! *runs screaming*

One question, though: can this scene be part of a larger work? Hi Noldo, Sorry for the late reply, RL managed to drag me down kicking and screaming...sigh! I don't see any problem with the vignette being a part of a larger piece. Vistula

...count me in. Heh heh heh...two vic..er..volunteers down. Two more to go. Vistula counting herself among the bitten and shooing more little critters out toward the unwary.

Go! Go , my pretties!! ( Says Molly, standing impressively for her size like the Wicked Witch of the West) shooing large amounts of Nuzgul and the Dreaded Plot Otters out towards the unsuspecting populace....Bit proof sox will not save you!! Besides..you know you want to...chocolate cake anyone?

*accepts chocolate cake* Much thanks, Molly! Three and counting: Vistula, Noldo, and Juno. Two more, my dear friends. Just two more needed.... Always, Allie

Come on Molly...you want to write one too! Admit it, you do!! Vistula Gently nudging one particularly cute looking nazgul that appears to be begging for chocolate cake in Molly's direction

Oh for Eru sake. Why do I even look in here??? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ~Lady Aranel~

Aranel, is that very evocative "Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh...." the sound of you being bitten? Always, Allie

"Arghhh..." That's what was on my mind, too, when I was here the last time. Looking forward to writing this one, though. When's the deadline? Yours Juno

Oh all right...I'll give it a try....sigh....I never could resist the eyes on those cute black-robed little bunnies....(she says while putting a plate of cake down for the furry sharp-toothed little ones milling about everyones' ankles)...aww look at her...isn't she precious? Wonder if they like biscuits? Owwch! ...yep...guess she does.....(cuddles the nuzgul)

Oooohhhh! Does that make five? I'm so excited, I've never given birth to a Nazgul before!!! Vistula *ticking off victims on her toes...*

I count four: Vistula, Noldo, Juno and Molly. You might post on HA for a fifth vic. . . oops volunteer. Good luck. If you get the fifth, I can help you set it up. RiverOtter

I count four: Vistula, Noldo, Juno and Molly. My apologies....I took Lady Aranel's exclaimation as being bitten. Four then...I will have to post on HA to hopefully secure another! Unless...perhaps...Lady Aranel does come through with an affirmative. Huh, pleeeeeezzzzeee! Cheers! Vistula

Unless...perhaps...Lady Aranel does come through with an affirmative. Huh, pleeeeeezzzzeee! Oh urk. Yes. I hope the deadline is a long one. ~Lady Aranel~

Challenge Manager here I count Lady Aranel, Noldo, Cold like Fire, Vistula and Alawa so we have a challenge!!! Deadline please Modify this as you wish. If you need help, please ask. Take a character, any character who finds him or herself sleepless when all those around are slumbering. Write about his or her thoughts regarding another character who can be seen and is still asleep. For example: Elrond thoughts about a sleeping Estel who is newly brought to Rivendell and lays cradled in his mother's arms. Boromir contemplates Aragorn as a potential king while taking his turn on watch enroute to Moria. Faramir's thoughts as he watches a sleeping Eowyn in the Houses of Healing. Sam seethes over Gollum on the way to Mordor. As you might imagine, the possibilities are endless. RiverOtter

Oh fine O Mighty Challenge manager...I see you just forget about the poor little Gentlehobbit who's sitting here feeding cake to the underfed Nuzguls...sniff.....--Molly

*mutters* So Molly's been feeding the nuzguls cake... No wonder we're getting so many... Thanks very much, my friend. Always, Allie

Need to keep the mithril gloves and boots handy. What is your deadline for this challenge? I can set it up tomorrow. Ducking the nugzuls, RiverOtter

This does sound interesting, so you can definitely count me in. I'm trying to think of what I'll do, though.

Info sounds good RiverOtter. How does a year sound for everyone? Cheers!! Vistula

This challenge is really great! I just finished writing the first story I am going to enter in it, "Embrace the Darkness As It Descends."

Deadline: November 30 2005 And another challenge to entice the writers. RiverOtter

"Embrace the Darkness As It Descends." Oooohhhh! I'm really looking forward to reading it. I too, have one ready *guilty grin* called "Bed of Roses" and am hoping to do a companion piece to it before the end of the deadline. Cheers! Vistula

Confessions to the Sleepless Night is posted here! Enjoy, my friends! Vistula, or anyone else, if you would care to go set up a thread for this beastie in Challenges: Story Discussions, feel free to! Always, Allie

But arn't they cute, Allie? (holding up a particularly large-doe-eyed one) but you're right. They shouldn't have cake. They should have some stew. Much better for them. Makes them grow fur on their chests. (shoos the Nuzguls towards a large plate of stew) -- Love -- Molly

*waves ladle* N-uuuuuuz-guuuul! Come and get your dinner! *points at stew* See what Mummy made for you? *grins at Molly*

Deadline: November 30 2005 Oh for love of the Valar. Don't I have enough to do?! I'm such a glutton for punishment - why do I even look in here at this time of year? That being said, if I can gather some remaining scraps of time/sanity together, I shall try to enter something. Cheers, Ti'ana Luthien waving sword at encroaching nuzgul

Oh for love of the Valar. Don't I have enough to do?! I'm such a glutton for punishment - why do I even look in here at this time of year? Ha ha... Ha ha ha ha... Bwa ha ha ha! Allie

Um...Noldo....just what did you put in that stew, might I ask? (poking at the pot and looking suspiciously) You realize feeding these poor little darlings a good meal might keep them away from people ankles? Cake, dear?

Maybe you could put some plant matter in it. It would keep them starving for some vict-- oh I'll just come out and say it : victims to bite.

Nuzgul always want something to bite...

We should buy them a dog toy . . . or a bone . . .

Or a muzzle.... Uh oh. I think one of them may have heard that and is eyeing me with a dangerous intent! Quick, someone throw it more cake! Arrrrgggghhhh! Vistula *massaging a newly bloody ankle and muttering something about mother's day...and cripples...while sharpening a pencil*

Here Nuzgul, nuzgul, nuzgul...come and get the nice pineapple upside down cake that Mummy made for you! They only bite when antagonized (says Molly, wondering what the neighbors will think about all these black-robed little fuzzy bunnies and who has just finished a plate of raw salted meat herself...heh heh heh)

Damn you all! Now I have another story screaming at me to be written.

Damn you all! ;) Now I have another story screaming at me to be written. *sweet smile* To quote movie!Treebeard, "Such beautiful words..." Always, Allie

My story's very "Sunrise, Sunset", but it has tear-jerking potential if I do it right.

::looks around at the nuzgul peering out from under her desk:: Um...I have a bad feeling that I might just have to write something for this...you know...in the three days left before deadline. ::watches the nuzgul lick it's lips:: Umm... yeah... I'll get right on that...

in the three days left before deadline. Ah, but dear friend, you have exactly one year and two days before this challenge closes! That leaves time for multiple stories, I would think... Always, Allie

The challenges are multiplying. Molly, stop feeding them. RiverOtter

Ah, but dear friend, you have exactly one year and two days before this challenge closes! That leaves time for multiple stories, I would think... ::looks back up the thread:: ooh....yeah, I guess I did read that wrong. That's good though...because I've got a few ideas stewing right now and I didn't really want to have to rush anything that much. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get along just fine with you Allie. You're kind of evil like me -Kit

in the three days left before deadline. Ah, but dear friend, you have exactly one year and two days before this challenge closes! Whew! Is it acceptable to write two scenes: one with Character A watching Character B and thinking about him/her, and then another set several years later, when the situation is reversed?

I would think so. After all, the more writing the more to enjoy. Seeing two characters in two different situations appeals to me. Keep the Muse happy. RiverOtter

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to get along just fine with you Allie. You're kind of evil like me *sweet smile* Welcome to Prospective Challenges. *holds out cuddly nuzgul* Would you care for one of my pets? They're really quite friendly (*eyes bandages*), and sweet (*winces as typing hurts bloodied fingers*), and overall darling creatures (*hiss* Back, foul fiend, back from my ankle!). Evil is much more fun than good. Always, Allie

But dearest RiverOtter, I thought you (especially as Challenge Manager) would want well-fed Nuzgul...besides, they're not Tribbles and can't multiply THAT quickly....can they? (looking under the desk and seeing more than several sets of gleaming eyes looking back). They are rather well ensconced now. -- Love -- Molly (who's watching her grocery bill climb a bit)

Well-fed Nugzul are fine. Overplump ones are not. Besides, there is a possibility that they are related to Tribbles. The exact classification of Nugzuls has not been established. Oh hell, another research project. As if I don't have enough on my place: writing haiku for several challenges, running an online party, beta editing and the normal responsibilities that come with running a household. RiverOtter

Is it acceptable to write two scenes: one with Character A watching Character B and thinking about him/her, and then another set several years later, when the situation is reversed? That would be great actually! I have one posted that is from Frodo's point of view regarding Sam and am working on a companion piece from Sam's point of view at a later time. Go for it...the more stories, the merrier! Vistula

Oh dear, oh dear...I sincerely hope the little Darlings arn't related to Tribbles. I only have so much space in my garden before having to turn them loose. Unfortunatly the "Nuzgulius Miniscule" isn't an easily domesticated creature and does have the rather grim penciant for ankles and the like...especially of over-worked writers.They're not really over-plump. They are, how might one put it, um..... getting very furry. It might be because of the colder weather; but, you're right, RiverOttr, it could be too many tea cakes. I must put them on a modified diet. -- Love -- (a rather sheepish) Molly

Is it acceptable to write two scenes: one with Character A watching Character B and thinking about him/her, and then another set several years later, when the situation is reversed? That would be great actually! I have one posted that is from Frodo's point of view regarding Sam and am working on a companion piece from Sam's point of view at a later time. Well, the two scenes make up one story, because the same characters are involved, and there's a similar theme to their musings. Which reminds me - the story in question is sitting on my hard drive, all ready to be posted. See you in a bit... EDIT: Voila. 'Tis up.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges