Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Your favourite poem!

Your favourite poem!

How about a challenge based on poetry once again? I think everyone has a favourite poem. So how would that poem figure in Middle-earth? Could one of the canon characters have written it? On which occasion? Or does your favourite poem simply inspire you to write a story set in Middle-earth? Could you change your favourite poem so that it is no longer a poem of this world but instead a poem of Middle-earth? Everything is possible, as long as it involves two aspects: your favourite poem and Middle-earth! Any takers? Yours Juno - wildly flinging nuzgûl around!

Re: Your favourite poem!

So it can be just "inspired by" that poem, right? Because I now have an idea kicking around in my mind about (who else?) Nerdanel, and of all poems, a Langston Hughes poem. Contemplatively, Allie

Well, I thought that it would be best to keep this Challenge as open as possible, so as not to scare everyone off with the p-word. You know, so many people run away squicked at once when you only say the word "poem"... Yours Juno

I'm not squicked by poetry. There's a lot more poetry on this site that when I joined, which is good (Tay encouraged quite a lot). I have a poem which I wrote for the World War Poetry Challenge, it's based on 'In Flander's Field', and I think it would qualify. I also have a filky poem that might fit as well. So count me in (and I didn't even get bitten - I think there should be a smug emoticon).

I think I have to try this. Even if I get just a drabble out of it, I have to try and connect Nerdanel to Langston Hughes' Still Here. I'm in. Allie

I usually avoid poetry like the plague, but I seem to have been bitten anyway. Count me in. Beruthiel

Three, three, three.... Two more needed! Allie

Hello, Allie and Juno! How long would I have to turn out a piece of doggerel...er, poetry? This will be my first challenge (besides the birthday cards). Branwyn

Hi Allie, I like this idea, and I have two pieces that I think would work well, one poem and one piece very strongly inspired by that same poem. Marta

*maniacal, evil cackles* [Allie is seen lurking around the Prospective Challenges Forum. Her eyes are darting around: in short, she looks like an extremely suspicious character.] Allie: How many is that my preciousss, yesss... Is that five authorses we sees? Yess, it isss: Elvenesssssse, Meril, Beruthiel, Branwyn, and Marta, yesss (why is there not more "S" nameses? We wants to ssssound really creepy, we does!)... *cough* Of couse I'm sane, of course... I'm going to trot off and make this challenge, because I have to go to bed soon, and I have two tests in the morning, so I will forget. And I'm going home this weekend, so I won't have 'net access. And it wouldn't get set up til Monday. And we don't want that, do we, preciouses? I'm going to give it four months, because I think that's sufficient. If I hear responses for more time (or less...?), I can always change it, never fear! Back to hitting the books, Allie Edit: The challenge is posted, my loves, and the discussion thread is up as well. Enjoy!

You know, so many people run away squicked at once when you only say the word "poem"... Ha! For some reason, this is me a lot of the time. I'm not sure why... Can our "favorite" poem be one of our own creation? I have a poem (though I can't say it is exactly my favorite per say!) that I think I could alter to fit this challenge. I think I might regret this...haha. -Tárion *off to challenges page...*

Ha! For some reason, this is me a lot of the time. I'm not sure why... Can our "favorite" poem be one of our own creation? I have a poem (though I can't say it is exactly my favorite per say!) that I think I could alter to fit this challenge. I think I might regret this...haha. Oh, no, never regret coming to challenges! It's such a nice, friendly place, with loads of creativity and friendly plot bunnies. Allie

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges