Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Shall They Dance?

Shall They Dance?

I've posted two prospective challenges already, but with little result. However, I just can't help flinging Nuzgul around Here is my most recent attemt at getting someone bitten. The culture of dance in Middle-earth. Lively hobbit polkas, elegant Elves gliding across the floor, boisterous Rohirrim whirling around the Golden Hall until they're dizzy, the nobles of Gondor performing a solemn court dance or even someone from Harad doing a belly dance! Of course there are many more possibilities - I bet even the Dwarves like to move to the groove once in a while My challenge would be to write a story or possibly even a poem which would be centered around dancing - having the characters themselves dancing or havin them watch others dance. Either way dancing would have to play an integral part. So what say you? Shall Middle-earth dance?

Re: Shall They Dance?

Good one, Malva! There are tons of options here! Anyone up for it? Allie PS - Marnie's Dancing in the Darkness would be perfect for this!

Oooooooooooh yes, yes. I've been thinking along these lines for a while; I have music on whilst I write and am big into Handel; and loads of what he wrote is formal dances, or at least has its structure based on a dance; so many court scenes in Minas Tirith do float through my mind... Plus I'm a fan of the Mediaeval Baebes, which brings up all sorts of possibilities dance wise... The one I hadn't thought of was the whirling Rohirrim- about which I think you're absolutly right- then the day you posted that i was listening to something where a chorus came up and I thought: hey- that's what they dance it to! I am quite music-centric in my imaginings- sometimes it seems like my longer works are a load of songs I'm into strung together and the plot is just there to move the characters from one to the other (though as the songs get burried it sometimes comes up with some facinating results!- plus a lot of very odd ones!) Currently I have a daughter of Arwen to work with where the first thing I knew about her was what tune she was playing when she purged her passions playing the harpsichord.... Disolves into a daze of happy humming.... Soubrettina

Hi Allie, just a question... Can I enter a challenge with one chapter taken out of a longer story? Because there's some dancing in one of my novels! Yours Juno

Hm... If the chapter could stand alone by itself, then yes, absolutely. If not, write a brief synopsis of what's happened so far in your novel, enough so the reader will get the gist of what's going on. Plus a link to the novel itself at the end. Either way, the chapter should be its own story (and this is permissable here). Allie

I have got to stop reading this board! You people are a bad influence! Ack! Which is to say - I'm in. I always picture Rohan's dances as country dances -- jigs, reels, strathspeys -- that sort of thing. Lively, not as formal or constrained as other places might be. Actually, now that I think of it, a lot like the Hobbit dancing we saw in Fellowship.

Would you perhaps take a look at the chapter I have in mind? I am not sure if it can stand on its own, but I really like the idea of having a challenge about dancing in Middle-earth! A Night of Music and Dancing Yours Juno

Well, it certainly made me want to dance with Eomer! Is it a tad warm in here?

EdorasLass wrote: I have got to stop reading this board! You people are a bad influence! Ack! Which is to say - I'm in. We people are a fun lot though, aren't we? Juno wrote: Would you perhaps take a look at the chapter I have in mind? I am not sure if it can stand on its own, but I really like the idea of having a challenge about dancing in Middle-earth! Hm... I don't think it stands well by itself, without explanation. Write a tiny synopsis that you can stick at the beginning, to let people know who is who and what is what, and a link saying, "Read the full story here!" or something like that. That'd probably work. (But I certainly want to dance with Eomer now...) Allie

*giggles* I will come up with a splendid synopsis then... Okay, I'm in! *runs off to catch Éomer for another dance and proofread that chapter* Yours Juno

Yes, I'm in! I already have a Feanor/Nerdanel fic to fit this.

[Allie sits in her office in Challenges. A pair of half-moon spectacles is perched on her nose, and she is scribbling in a tattered blue notebook, referring to a pile of notes to the side. A newspaper flutters to the floor: Flingers Daily. The room is an eclectic mix of furniture: a graceful Doriathrin desk is paired with a comfortable (accurately sized) hobbit chair; a shredded butterfly net hangs on the wall. Doors to the left are labeled "The Hutch", "The Pen", and "Prospectives", to name a few. A red light goes off above the Prospectives door. A board flashes the words "Shall They Dance?" Allie glances up absently, setting the pen down, and studies the flashing monitor.] Me: Four... Well, well, Malva is certainly doing well with this one. Let's see: Soubrettina, Juno, EdorasLass, and Noldo... Only needs one more to set this one up! [A snarling noise comes from behind the door. Allie is unfazed. She merely sighs, settling into her notes once again. Distracted for a second, she glances up, looking out expectantly.] Me: Well? What are you waiting for? Can't you see that this one is getting impatient? Volunteer already! Surely you have to write about someone dancing.

Nice. Double post. Sorry.

Hm... I don't think it stands well by itself, without explanation. Write a tiny synopsis that you can stick at the beginning, to let people know who is who and what is what... I'd agree, mainly cause I was reading along and then went, "TV? How did Dol Amroth get TV? And did they have cable?" (But I certainly want to dance with Eomer now...) Me thinks that boy's dancecard is gonna fill up awfully fast.

[The Challenges office has changed little since the last viewing. A complicated flowchart titled "Influences: Authors, Flingers, and Readers", hangs on the wall. Allie is standing by the chart, adding notes here and there. A large THUMP comes from the Prospectives door, and she glances up in alarm. Another THUMP and she has abandoned the flowchart, scurrying towards the exit door. Another THUMP, and the lights flicker and die. CRASH!! In complete darkness, the sound of a heavy door banging open and Allie shrieking mingle together eerily. Various crashing and bashing noises ensue for some minutes. A heavy doorslam. Panting. A lamp is lit, and Allie surveys the wreckage of her office with deep dismay. Her baggy T-shirt has several rips on the side: large claw marks.] Me: OK, OK! I'm in! I'd better just comply now before he really gets nasty! [She goes over to the computer monitor, and taps a few keys.] Me: (yelling at Prospectives) ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, YOU ILL-TEMPERED BRUTE?! [Silence. There is no more thumping. Allie sighs, and pulls her wheeled hobbit chair over to another computer, and begins to write.]

Poor Allie! *hands over some nice chocolates to help her get over the shock* I hope your wounds won't interfere with our other little project! *toothy grin* Yours Juno

Poor Allie! *hands over some nice chocolates to help her get over the shock* Chocolates duly accepted. Muchos gracias! I hope your wounds won't interfere with our other little project! Er. Ahem. Yes. I'm still alive. Mostly. Hopefully I'll be able to finish a ficlet for this. I'm thinking... Rohan. Meduseld. A roaring fire, stoked at the hearth. Evening: starlight outside, flaring torches within. A celebration. Drinking contest (minus the belching dwarf). And I'll somehow fit dancing in there. Allie PS- Anyone want to give me some feedback on the deadline? Malva has done a stellar job with the title and the prompt, so those are fine as is. How long do you all want this one to be open for?

Oh dear oh dear....we seem to have let One get a little too large! I don't think biscuits will suit in this case...(whips out a three layer chocolate cake and Earl Grey tea, with cream of course) to pacify the muttering author. here, Dear, this will make you feel better......(wagging her finger at the now silent door) Bad Nuzgul! Bad!! Just look what you've done!! -- Love -- Molly

I might join the dance. For a deadline, I recommend September 30th. RiverOtter

Per RiverOtter's suggestion, I'm just going to assign it a Sept. 30 close date. Allie (trotting off to make challenge...) edit: Challenge is up, and the discussion thread is up as well!

Mwahahahahahahaaaa!..... Finally, I have suceeded! *ligthning flashes dramatically in the background* My evil little bugger even got Allie! *looks guilty... for a second* Chocholate and confeti for everyone! *is off to read that chapter that's supposed to make you want to dance with Eomer... *

[The Challenges Office. Though still a maelstrom of papers, and Middle-earthian artifacts, it seems to be an organized sort of chaos. Dramatic lightning flash in the background, a la Frankenstein. Allie is hunched over the desk. The candlelight illuminates a decidedly wicked smirk on her face.] Me: So, precious, they thinks they can nuzgul us and get away with it? [Another lightning flash, preceded by a crack of thunder.] Me: Just wait until sometime in March, preciouses. Challenges will have a surprise for you all.... Just you wait...

Eeep! I didn't mean it, I swear I didn't! *hides from Allie's wrath*

Uhoh...(Molly mutters, listening at the Challenges door)... some people don't handle caffeine well...caffeind????... I have a feeling I'd better get baking...March isn't that far away......wonder if I have that much butter???Hmmm...(goes off to check her refridgerator)

Me: Just wait until sometime in March, preciouses. Challenges will have a surprise for you all.... Just you wait... Bwah ha ha ha!! I'm not skeered o' Allie! Do your worst, foul temptress! Dark fire shall not avail you! .....wait, she's not here, is she?! Run away! Run away!

*a big, black thing enters* (...)

Oh hello, Juno.....and large Black thing....how are things going? I think I have just enough butter....cake batter spoon?

Curse you all...I should know better than to browse the challenges, I really really should...oooh... At least I managed to convince the nuzgul that a poem was sufficient and to stop pestering me about anything longer... Next time I'll know better, I mean it... *sigh* You people are evil, you do know that, right? Okay. Just checking.

Curse you all...I should know better than to browse the challenges, I really really should...oooh... *GASP* I don't think I've seen you around challenges before! Welcome! I'm Allie, one of the CMs. At least I managed to convince the nuzgul that a poem was sufficient and to stop pestering me about anything longer... Next time I'll know better, I mean it... That's what they all say, trust me. That's what I kept saying, and look what a monstrosity I've become. *sigh* You people are evil, you do know that, right? Okay. Just checking. *resigned shrug* I keep being told that I'm pure, unmixed evil (which I vehemently protest against as both "name calling" and "libel": somewhere up this thread, I think, I've even been called "foul temptress", which I find most unjust), but I really can't see it.... Allie

somewhere up this thread, I think, I've even been called "foul temptress", which I find most unjust), but I really can't see it.... . It wasn't me.

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges