Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Author-exchange program

Author-exchange program

Call this crossover, filk, sacralige, whatever.... What would it look like if we could orchestrate JRRT's narrative-voice an exchange-holiday with that of another author? Suppose the wonderings of the Fellowship were related by Jerome K. Jerome, or Stella Gibbons (of Cold Comfort Farm) came striding into Edoras? Or supposing Tolkien took a bunch of quarralsome cousins on an aimless, bickering riverboat holiday? In case I'm being obscure- transpose Middle Earth into the prose of a completely different style of novelist, and see what happens. Aragorn's thoughts according to Nick Hornby? Ernest Hemingway in Rivendell? Of course, certain authors would perhaps find situations that interested them more than the quest. Jane Austen may be drawn to examine the situation of the hard-up but well-connected young Miss Bolger, pulled between a romantic and a profitable match (and really hoping that she could encompass both!), toying with the prospects of Mr Brandybuck and Mr Took, distracted occasionally by gossip of that social mountaineer Mrs Gamgee... whilst James Joyce compiles his series of short non-event narratives in Pelegirians..... If I'm gibbering, please feel free to tell me. If not, what say you?

Re: Author-exchange program

Aragorn's thoughts according to Nick Hornby? I would pay money to read this, really I would. Or a view of Gondor ala Irvine Welsh? Oh, my aching head. Crap. Like I'm not still working on the last Nuzgul you threw at me, Miss Soubrettina. Sure, I'm in. As long as we have a far away closing date -- I have to narrow down my author choices, then come up with a story. Or perhaps vice versa.

Crap. Like I'm not still working on the last Nuzgul you threw at me, Miss Soubrettina. I am so looking forward to that fic! Feel free to call on me at any stage in development (I'm very good at spelling, punctution, syntax and sentance-structure nit-picking!) Oh the fun of flinging!!!! Soubie

Hey, all! 'Fraid to say that this very thing has been done already: A Tale by Any Other Name. Though the challenge itself is closed, you can always enter stories in its corresponding oliphaunt. Cheers! Allie edit: But, naturally, if you can come up with a different spin, it could be done as its own challenge.

HMMMMMMMM.... Well I'm not thinking exclusivly of 'classic'. Just well-known. Or of prose-style (though obviously feel free). Attitude and interests were more what I had in mind. Does this count?

Soubrettina, We can run this as its own challenge if we can make it different from the "A Tale By Any Other Name" challenge that Meril mentioned. What if we limit it to modern authors (20th-century authors, or post-WW2 authors, or something like that?). Or any other limitation. Marta

We can run this as its own challenge if we can make it different from the "A Tale By Any Other Name" challenge that Meril mentioned. What if we limit it to modern authors (20th-century authors, or post-WW2 authors, or something like that?). Or any other limitation. There was a module on my eng. lit. course that was actually called 'Contempory Literature'. Despite having passed it I'm still not sure how they were defining 'contempory', as some of them were at least 30 years old. Possibly all the authors were still in action at this particular time... That or, 'contempory' as in contempory to Tolkien (which might make the 'exchange' idea more, well, not plausible exactly but...)- after all he was hardly typical of the time. Does this line speak to anyone...? I must say I do find this buisness of challenges being 'closed' terribly frustrating- several times I've been guided in by other stories, found an idea that really could work very well but not only is it a case of 'no you missed it you can't do that any more' but you can't do anything like it any more either because it's already been done.

I must say I do find this buisness of challenges being 'closed' terribly frustrating- several times I've been guided in by other stories, found an idea that really could work very well but not only is it a case of 'no you missed it you can't do that any more' but you can't do anything like it any more either because it's already been done. You can always put a story in the Oliphaunt Pen, that links it with a Closed Challenge. They are not viewable by 'public', but it's certainly available to members that way. I'm not certain why the Pen isn't linked to the public search of challenges... must be a programming thing. Gwynnyd

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges