Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: A Short AU Challenge

A Short AU Challenge

Hey guys, I've been reading some AUs lately. Long AUs like Dwim's "Lie Down in Darkness" but also short ones like EdorasLass's "Love Me and Despair". It seems that most AU stories are novel-length, starting with some change and writing the rest of the trilogy from that point on. These are nice, of course, but I would love to see what people can do with shorter pieces. Can you still create an AU universe in a short number of words? So that's my idea. Change canon in some significant way, and write an AU piece centring on that change -- but tell it in 5,000 words or less. Is anyone up for it? Marta

Re: A Short AU Challenge

Marta, I love this idea. I've been toying with AU for awhile (privately only, though!). I've read a lot of epic!novel!AUs, but I rarely see AUs in vignette form (drabble AUs I've seen). I'm in. Allie edit: Oh, 'fore I forget... AmandaK's To Hope's End, To Heart's Breaking would fit this awesomely.

Marta, I love this idea. I've been toying with AU for awhile (privately only, though!). I've read a lot of epic!novel!AUs, So have I, and they're very nice. The only problem is, because they're epic, they take a lot of energy to read and even more energy to write. Plus I think it takes a special skill to get across the potency of an AU situation in a short number of words. I have to say I was very, very affected by EL's piece; I don't think I would have if she had taken 50,000 words to0 get all of that across. but I rarely see AUs in vignette form (drabble AUs I've seen). For the record, I'm happy to see AU drabbles entered in this, too. I may be interested in entering. In fact I'd love to, but none of the severl ideas that have occurred to me have quite reached the stage where I'm ready to write one particular scenario. I will have to see if one really grabs my attention when I sleep on it tonight. I'm in. Good. I'm still in the "maybe" stage, leaning toward "probably". edit: Oh, 'fore I forget... AmandaK's To Hope's End, To Heart's Breaking would fit this awesomely. Excellent. I'll contact her to see if she's interested in entering it in this challenge. If anyone is interested in other stories along similar lines, I also recommend AfterEver's "Insomnia" and Cheryl's drabble series "The Steward and The Brother". Marta

Say "A/U", and I'll show up just like Beetlejuice! Sign me up! The Tolkien Weekly LJ's drabble theme this week just so happens to be A/U, and I've got 4 or 5 already done! Although most of them are, shall we say, evil? I have to say I was very, very affected by EL's piece; I don't think I would have if she had taken 50,000 words to0 get all of that across. Thanks so much, Marta! That was my first ever, for-other-people-to-see fanfic, and it's kind of my baby. ooooh. I just had the idea to make a specifically A/U drabble area in My Stories. Must go do that now!

Thanks for calling my attention to this. I have one already done that would fit this bill nicely, which I would be happy to submit -- and if the Muse cooperates, there might be another in me as well. Lin is in!

Hi all. I already have short AU stories, so count me in. Werecat

Hi, I have several pieces already written that fit in this one very well. So count me in. Cheers, Juno

Hello! Do I see 5 pledges (or 6, including Marta's own)? Challenge is ready to create! Do we have a closing date, anyone? Will notify Laura. -Kriti

I'm fine with anything: I'll probably grab a placeholder anyways (just to make sure I'm in!). I'd like 3-4 months (or more, according to the will of the majority)... For me, that gives the summer to write it, and then post it when I get back to school. Allie

I'm in. I've just done an AU drabble for the Tolkien Weekly challenge. Jay

I've just done an AU drabble for the Tolkien Weekly challenge. And evil it was too, Jay! Heee...that's where most of my A/U drabbles came from.

Evil? Evil is good ... So, do we have a challenge?

Is 4 months good everyone? Just waiting for deadline confirmation before setting up challenge. ~Nienna

Hey everyone! Narwen must have disappeared. I haven't seen her around lately. I know she's busy. It's ok, Narwen! I decided to go ahead and set up the challenge with a 4 month deadline - October 8, 2005. I hope that's ok with everyone. Sorry for the delay. Here you go: Challenge and Discussion!

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges