Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Fantasy of Manners

Fantasy of Manners

Gandalfs_apprentice's story Theme and Variations, which is "Tolkien meets Jane Austen" got me thinking. My second-favorite genre is Comedy of Manners. Think, besides Jane Austen, of Georgette Heyer, Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Sayers, P.G. Wodehouse. Even, say, Lady Murasaki's "Tale of Genji". Stories in which relationships within society & class boundaries and witty, skewering conversation are key, rather than angst and action. (I went to wikipedia, but the entry there is focused primarily on plays.)

One of the prime examples of Fantasy of Manners is Ellen Kushner's Swordspoint. Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer's Sorcery and Cecilia is, as well. Wrede has written other books that fit the Fantasy of Manners category.

I'm sure there are some HA stories, or parts thereof that would fill this bill admirably (besides the above-mentioned "Theme and Variations"). Hmmm, bits of jodancingtree's The Queen's Orc would work. What else?

Perhaps you've already written one, or you could be inspired to mine the possibilities of, say, 3rd & 4th Age Minas Tirith. How 'bout it? I would so love to read all the entries!

DrummerGirl

(Not sure I'm capable of writing one, though - I'm terrible at conversations in RL. That's probably why I love reading Comedies of Manners so - all the wittiness I wish I had!)

Re: Fantasy of Manners

Hi DrummerGirl

I'd like to see this challenge too, and if there's a long enough deadline, I would write another contribution. Any other takers?

Thanks for the recommendations for other "fantasies of manners." I'll be sure and check those out. And thanks for liking my story!

Gandalfs apprentice 

Re: Fantasy of Manners

Oops, I just remembered I should mention - Swordspoint is slash (non-explicit) in case anyone doesn't care for that.  Hmmm, it's got het as well, now I think about it.  Sorcery & Cecilia is PG het.  It's squeaky-clean - think Georgette Heyer Regency novels, set in London during the Season.

DG

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges