Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Numenorean Death

Numenorean Death

Inspired in part by discussion in my workshop and in part by Dwimordene's birthday request, I'd like to suggest a challenge on "The Numenorean Way of Death."

Aragorn's choice is the main canon story about this, and many people have written stories about it. But most dodge the hard questions: why does he make this choice? What do others around him really think about it? Is Arwen reconciled to it, or is she angry, resentful, etc.?

Then there are the broader questions. What was Tolkien's intention in creating this ability of Numenoreans? (You might also ask, How did he reconcile it with Catholic doctrine, which outlaws suicide?) He says that "a good Numenorean" would make this choice; one assumes, therefore, that it was considered the "right thing" to do as opposed to waiting for nature to take its course. Presumably, at some point in Numenor this must have changed, given the story of the Downfall. When did the kings stop practicing it?

How did this practice impact Numenorean culture? What kinds of ceremonies did they have? Why did women mainly not make this choice (a challenging question indeed)? What attitudes did the Numenoreans in exile (Gondor and Arnor) have toward it? 

What is your own opinion of Numenorean death? One question that has come up is whether the choice is justified if you do not believe in an Afterlife. I myself would answer "yes." I don't believe in one, but I can readily understand this choice all the same. Others do not agree.

Any story, essay, poem, drabble, whatever, can explore an aspect of this difficult subject. Tragedy, drama, comedy, parody, critical analysis--you decide.

Any takers?

Gandalfs apprentice

Re: Numenorean Death

Inspired in part from discussion in my workshop and in part by Dwimordene's birthday request, I'd like to suggest a challenge on "The Numenorean Way of Death."

Aragorn's choice is the main canon story about this, and many people have written stories about it. But most dodge the hard questions: why does he make this choice? What do others around him really think about it? Is Arwen reconciled to it, or is she angry, resentful, etc.?

Any takers?

Darn you! yes.

Carol  or maybe I shoul dsay Gwynnyd and admit that this is not really HASA workshop replying to the challenge... <blushes and runs away>

I have a story already written for that, so count me in!

~ Juno 

Assuming you've been bitten by your own nuzgul, Gandalf's apprentice, that's three takers. Any more victims?

I mean... anyone else? *blinks innocently* 

~Nienna

Oh, yes, that Nuzgul took a big chunk out of me. I have a draft story that needs finishing and would do as an entry for this pithy challenge. I think a long deadline would be in order, if we make it to an official challenge.

G.A. 

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges