Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Told in story or song

Told in story or song

IgnobleBard had the following idea:

To take an event of the Lord of the Rings write a piece for a minstrel who would then sing the song to an audience who have no knowledge of that event. So you have give so much information that it can be understood, but not too much either, lest the people get overwhelmed.

So what do you think? Do you have any further suggestions?

~Vilwarin 

Re: Told in story or song

This sounds like an excellent idea. I'd be willing to participate once the rules are finalized. I don't have any specific suggestions at this time though.

Mike

I'm very interested in this idea. I already have a few poems I think *might* qualify. It's hard to tell because the original post is a little vague.

- The Shield-maid's Dance of Death. A Gondorian ballad about Eowyn's fighting the witch-king, told from Eowyn's POV
- Under the Lonely Mountain Cold. Bard's killing of Smaug, in the style of a Dwarvish drinking song (the same form used by Thorin's dwarves and later Merry & Pippin). Okay, that one's The Hobbit-based rather than LOTR-based, so you may not want it.
- Mad Baggins. A hobbit ditty about Bilbo's disappearance at the Long-expected Party.

I also have a new idea, if you allow prose to go along with the poetry. It would be a story-and-poem combination that would explain a textual difficulty, but would include a poem out of Gondor (written but intended to be circulated among nobles not familiar with the original events), and an accompanying vignette about two canonical characters' reactions to said poem.

I do not want to overwhelm the challenge! But this is something I'm really interested in, as it's the kind of poetry I like to write.

Marta

Yes, the post s vague, so there is nothing specific yet. If we leave it vague, more authors are likely to participate.

I also have a new idea, if you allow prose to go along with the poetry. It would be a story-and-poem combination that would explain a textual difficulty, but would include a poem out of Gondor (written but intended to be circulated among nobles not familiar with the original events), and an accompanying vignette about two canonical characters' reactions to said poem.

Ah, an excellent idea. I see a beet-red Sam before my mind's eye. I have nothing at all against prose. It sounds really interesting and might be fun to read Wink I think we should make that an option!

~Vilwarin

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges