Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Father's Day Challenge

Father's Day Challenge

For parental parity and because something Ang [curse you!] once said chose this very instant to ressurrect itself in my memory.

My dad was not the one who read me bedtime stories as a kid, but he is a story-teller in the most basic sense of always having some little story to share that he makes a point of telling: "[insert real life name], I've got to tell you about this..." is the opener, and then he's off.

Ok, so, for Middle-earth dads of all Ages (and ages), I'd like to see them pass on some little thing in story-fashion to their offspring. It can be a formal bedtime story, one of the ever-popular paternal tales of wisdom that will go in one ear and out the other, an old story that has perhaps been handed down in the family... something. But it's a one-on-one with a child, and there is a formal element to that interaction, however casually it starts out. Dad has something specific to say which is in itself important or the saying itself (like a bedtime story) is important to the relationship, and he wants his ten minutes with the offspring.

Takers? Modifications? Better ideas?

Re: Father's Day Challenge

I was going to ask you if you'd have a challenge like this as a sort of compliment to the Mother's Day one, so I'm glad you suggested this.

I don't have any better ideas, but I would like to suggest a modification: You say this is a one-on-one father-child. But can't we involved more children in this? Or is it an intimacy thing? Just wondering. (I'm thinking of entering, but then again, I was planning on entering the Betrothed one and have lost my inspiration to write the story).

Love it! This is great, and very daddy-like too. It gives us "the" chance to explore the father-son relationship in a private way that few other things could, and in one of those unguarded moments.

I am a taker! (yeah, should not be lurking around so early in the morning while all the other nuzgul are still asleep) My question would be the same as Klose's, is the story restricted to one child only, for the sake of a more intimate interaction? Or, will we be allowed to include more children? Any other restriction as to length, or will it be open to the writer as is the Mother's Day? Your description says that there is a formal element to the interaction, in what way? Is it because the father wants to teach the offspring, and so he tells a tale that has a moral? Or, because ME fathers are often quite formal in the way they do things?

Anyway, this is a great idea. Will be looking forward to this!

Starlight

Some little questions:

Does it have to be the father? A lot of interesting characters have some sort of adopted/foster father... can we use them?

And if you're doing twins, can you count them as one child for the one-on-one interaction?

Sounds fun though...

Love it! This is great, and very daddy-like too. It gives us "the" chance to explore the father-son relationship in a private way that few other things could, and in one of those unguarded moments.

Hey! don't forget father/daughter relationships here. Celeborn with Celebrian, Imrahil with Lothiriel, Sam with his little Elanor...
After all, haven't little girls been "Princess" to their daddies from time immemorial?

Just my two-bits worth!
~Nessime

a) There's no requirement that dear old dad talk with his son rather than his daughter (sometimes, the only option is to talk to a daughter)

b) I thought I'd said that foster fathers/adoptive fathers were quite fine, but it seems I must only have imagined it. But yes, foster fathers and adoptive fathers are eligible.

c) One child vs. more than one. I'm inclined to go with just one child, although there are scenarios where that seems unlikely (bedtime stories, for example). I'll leave it up to you, but the idea is that it's a private moment between father and offspring.

Starlight's on board. Any others?

Can I enter existing stories in a challenge? The King is Dead suits all the requirements for this one. And I suppose Lady of Silences suits the Mother's Day challenge, but it's not exactly in the spirit of things...

I think I hear the thunder of aproaching Thranduil fans ;-) This has got to suit them! I like the idea myself but I'm only a possible because I'm not much good at writing kids - that and I'm already queued up with nuzguls ;-)

Avon

I LOVE it! It's perfect!

My suggestions for modification: I don't think it should be confined to "one-on-one" or "face-to-face" contact. Any expression, whether direct or indirect of father-child love should be admitted. Perhaps the fic could contain at some point some kind of direct interaction, but it would be nice if there was more room for the more subtle demonstrations of fatherly love that tend to show up in Middle Earth-type society far more often than straight forward "I love you"s.

A wonderful idea!

I am definitely interested in such a challenge, count me in.

jenolas

ARRRRRRRGH! Would you just stop it, Dwim? Curse you! Me with three unfinished stories, and having just got done with the last Nuzgul you pitched in my direction. ARRRRRRRRRGH!

Jocelyn wrote:

My suggestions for modification: I don't think it should be confined to "one-on-one" or "face-to-face" contact. Any expression, whether direct or indirect of father-child love should be admitted. Perhaps the fic could contain at some point some kind of direct interaction, but it would be nice if there was more room for the more subtle demonstrations of fatherly love that tend to show up in Middle Earth-type society far more often than straight forward "I love you"s.

Hm. Intriguing, but I'm trying to force the issue here a bit. It's not necessasrily that dad wants to say "I love you"--it could be anything specifically directed at the kids, but it has to involve direct contact. So dad could be having the fun of explaining the facts of life to child who asks questions he doesn't want to answer but must, it could be the "now you are a wo/man" talk, it could be a story (bedtime or otherwise that he wants to share just with the kid(s)), it could be a talking to that needed to happen, it could be advice... could be a number of things, but I'd like that element of interaction to have a necessary direct element. So maybe dad goes off and shoots a bear or something and does the "Joseph and the technicolor coat" thing, but at some point, he's go to say something to the kid he gives it to.

Does that help?

Una--yes, you may.

Isabeau: BWAA HAAAAA HAAAAHAHAHHAHAHAAA!

So:

Jocelyn-yes
Jenolas-yes
Starlight-yes
Isabeau-I take it that's a yes.
Una--already done

Nessime, Dragon--what about you two? Are you in?

Klose, Avon, take it easy and don't sweat it. I'll find victims, trust me.... Besides, if the bunny bites, you'll be back here pleading for pen and paper to surgically remove the fangs from your ankles.

Could I get one more happy volunteer, even though Una makes it five, provided none of the other "yes" people recant? Oh, Ang... you said you wanted to do Denethor telling bedtime stories...

Dwim

Avon said:

I think I hear the thunder of aproaching Thranduil fans

Legolas, Shmegolas--I wanna see someone do Oropher and Thranduil. You know he'd have some interesting things to say about the virtue of a simpler life...

"I wanna see someone do Oropher and Thranduil."
-Dwimordene

That would be me, for one. I had already decided on them when I put my hand up!

jenolas

Oh, this will be fun!

I think it is time that Denethor has that talk with Boromir 'Why is it that I am a Steward and not a king!'

Starlight
(grabs pen and paper to start writing the Steward's response to a confused 12-year-old...)

Father's Day Challenge is now live. I'll even put my hand up on this one because it's a) over after the semester is, and b) the stupid nuzgul has already moved in to stay.

Go here to continue discussion.

Darn it all! I've got the father, I've got the words - can I figure ANY remotely feasible way to manouvre the son into the right place at the right time? NO. *sulks* On the other hand I've got two other possibities skulking around...*pauses, does undergrowth search* make that three. ;-)

Avon
(*story I'd love to see - Aragorn giving his son the 'An Elf is not just for Christmas, don't break Legolas' talk ;-))

Darn it all! I've got the father, I've got the words - can I figure ANY remotely feasible way to manouvre the son into the right place at the right time? NO. *sulks*

There, there. [Dwim pats Avon on back] You have a few months to get the prodigal son to cooperate.

On the other hand I've got two other possibities skulking around...*pauses, does undergrowth search* make that three.

It's got to be spring...

Dwim

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges