Forum: Prospective Challenges

Discussing: Elladan and Elrohir

Elladan and Elrohir

Okay, I don't know if anyone has come up with this before, but never mind.

I've just read FOTR again and I was thinking what if Elrond really did refuse Merry and Pippin admittance to the Fellowship? If he had sent them home in a sack (Heehee - love to see that one and the ramifications that may have - maybe no sharkey?) or left them to trail behind... What if he sent his sons instead? I love the twins and so it'd be an interesting AU, but I don't know if it could be done. However, I think it was IceAngel (?) who wrote one where Faramir replaces Boromir so it might work.

(Hope I've posted in the right place and what do people think of the idea?)

Alternate Fellowship nuzgûl.

You might check out this nuzgûl.

I think the tough part about alternate Fellowships is that you have then to figure out what exactly it is that Merry and Pippin contribute to the Fellowship that no one else does. What is their unique function in the story, such that no others could perform it?

To me, it comes down to that marvelous line by Stoppard. When the bewildered "heroes" ask "who are we that so much could ride on our deaths?", the reply is simply:

"You are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. That is enough." Enough, and (I think) necessarily enough.

:-)

In Forums

Discussion Info

Intended for: General Audience

This forum is open to all HASA members. It is read-only for the general public.

Membership on HASA is free and it takes only a few minutes to join. If you would like to participate, please click here.

If you are already a member, please log in to participate.

« Back to Prospective Challenges